Author Topic: Six Months Living with an STi  (Read 8720 times)

Offline Tabibito

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
  • Ride: 2012 2.0i Sport Wagon, and big white box with blinky lights.
Six Months Living with an STi
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:13:25 pm »
It's been just under six months now since I got my new baby - AKA the "New Dirty Wagon" - and it's time for an in-depth review of the car. The GR STi seems to have divided the Subaru community more than any previous generation and I have to admit that when I first saw the new body style for the 2008 STi I really wasn't a fan. I couldn't say that it was ugly, but to me, it just didn't look like a Subaru. Over time, however, it really started to grow on me, and in August I decided to buy my very own. I can confidently say that I'm still very much in love with my car, but I won't say that she's not without her faults.

Let's start with the obvious - the body, interior, and trim.

While the STi hatch isn't a new thing for the Japanese, and the hot hatch concept in general is old news in Europe, 2008 was the first time Subaru owners in North Americas got a taste of it. Since 2004 we had associated the STi with a very large rear wing on an otherwise ordinary (other than flared fenders) looking WRX. With the GR, the differences between the STi and the WRX became a lot more subtle to the casual observer, but in my opinion a lot more marked when you notice them. The differences are a more aggressive looking front bumper (when it stays together - but you can't fault it for not holding up to the abuse I gave it), larger fenders (again), STi badging on the front quarters, grill, and hatch, 18" rims, and a mean looking four tipped exhaust. The GR STi still has a large rear spoiler, but the exact same spoiler came with the WRX 265 (now just the base WRX as of 2010). This is, of course, with the base trim package that I got on mine. If you shelled out the additional $6000 you got a set of 18" BBS rims that scream out "Sorry, but I'm faster than you," especially in the gold.

That's not all you get with the Sport-tech package, and I think it's very important to discuss this upgrade. Previous generations of the STi didn't offer an 'improved' version. If you got an STi, you got an STi, other than small dealer options you might have tacked on. So what else does that $6000 get you? Moonroof, sat-nav, and a stereo with Bluetooth and an LCD screen. For $6000. Let that sink in. Rims, some glass, and a stereo for $6000. I think this point is at the crux of why many Subaru enthusiasts look down on this generation. The STi was originally seen as a race vehicle you could keep as your daily driver, and it still is, but it's obvious with the new generation that Subaru is also trying to appeal to more 'civilized' consumers. Personally, though, for a $6000 upgrade on an STi, I would rather have seen stiffer suspension, or weight reduction options. The Sport-tech, for me, would have been a colossal waste of money. The moonroof drops the ceiling by just enough to make wearing my crash helmet in the car uncomfortable, the sat-nav is pointless since I both have an iPhone and know how to use a map, and the BBSs are nice, but I can get much nicer rims after-market for $6000.

As far as the interior styling is concerned, however, both the base and Sport-tech share the same fantastic interior (other than the upgraded stereo in the Sport-tech). Alcantara seats with a bright red STi embroidered on the front headrests and red stitching, subtle STi engraving on the door frame, red accent lights in the foot wells, glowing STi badge on the center console, and a wonderful black/dark-grey two-tone theme throughout. Sure, it's all superfluous but almost everyone who's sat in my car for the first time is taken by just how great the car looks and feels on the inside. I have heard a couple people complain that the STi logo on the steering wheel looks cheap and plastic. I can see their point to a degree, but frankly if that airbag goes off, I'd rather have plastic flung at my head than a piece of aluminum, and it's a minor complaint when the interior as whole is taken in. It's great car to just sit down in. Also, it still has the same room as all GR Impreza wagons, meaning you can still fit four people, and all their snowboarding gear inside (proof here).

But, enough with the frills, what about the car as a car?

First we'll talk about the best part: the engine. The 2.5L Turbo in this car is a beast. 305HP to the crank, and 290ft-lbs of torque. Boost starts kicking in around 2300 RPM, at which point you are going to get squeezed back hard into your seat if you've got the the throttle down. As with any turbo, there's lag, but the gearing on the 6-speed keeps you right where you need to be, presuming you know how to down-shift. On the highway, get up to speed and stay in 6th all the way to your destination. Pulling out of corners at Auto-X and rally-X is wonderful, and terrifying - when you get it right and you're right on the power and boost at the right point, the car just launches out of the corner. If you're not really looking ahead, you can find yourself at the next element much faster than you thought you'd be.

Thankfully, the brakes are equally hefty. The 4-pot front, 2-pot rear Brembos just melt away the speed. On the track, they are fantastic and allow you to brake later and harder than in the WRX. The ABS cuts in a little early (like almost all ABS), especially on loose surfaces like gravel, but thankfully there's an easy fix to that if you really want - which I'm going to talk about later. These brakes also dust like crazy so if you want a show car, you're going too have baby this car and wash it frequently. You'll probably also spend the $6000 on the Sport-tech.

Unfortunately, she'll also drink gas like water if you're not gentle with the throttle, but frankly if you're in the market for this kind of car that really shouldn't be your concern. That said, Subaru seems to have thought that you would be concerned with it. The North American STi has always had throttle by wire, but the GR is the first time you've been given a degree of control over the response (without voiding your warranty) through the SI-Drive system. What this offers you through a very sharp-looking dial behind the shifter is a choice of three modes: annoying, pointless, and proper... er, I mean "Intelligent," "Sport," and "Sport#".

Intelligent is meant to be a fuel economy mode. In this mode you get such wonderful features as your car telling you it really doesn't want to go that fast, a flashing console light telling you to granny shift to a higher gear (but never to a lower gear, so if you slow down in 4th and listen to the Intelligent mode, you are going to waste a lot of gas trying to get moving again), and from what I can tell no way to get the throttle all the way open. This mode will make you feel like you're driving a Sunfire. The car will be completely gutless, and I swear I can feel a lag between my throttle inputs and the minimal response that it will even give. Another name would have been "Should have bought the 2.5i wagon" mode - although the throttle response in my TS was still better than the STi in Intelligent.

Sport mode is just Sport#, but a little less. Why? Maybe you don't have very good control over your right foot? As I said: pointless. You'll have access to full throttle now, and you're just going to push harder to get the same response and therefore burn just as much fuel.

Then there's the Sport# mode. I never leave this mode - it's become part of my three-part startup ritual (Sport#, VDC completely off, DCCD to manual). In this mode you get super fine control over the engine. Just curling/uncurling your toes slightly allows you to gently modulate your throttle input, and when you're taking a car through race corners, this is something you definitely want. On the street, it again allows you a finer level of control, and for overtaking on the highway, you can use a small flick of your foot to get right up to where you need to be. The car feels great in this mode - Subaru shouldn't have even bothered with the other two (ok, well you wouldn't get the cool looking dial if they hadn't).

Right under the SI-Drive button are the controls for one of the coolest features the STi has always had - the Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD). This is not new to the GR STi, but from what I understand the ratios have changed a little. Since this isn't a comparison with the GC, I'm not going to bother looking up the exact numbers. The DCCD gives you a range of settings between a locked center differential (constant 50/50 front/rear power), to 'open' which will push more power to the rear of the car under acceleration. It also comes with three "Auto" modes: a neutral setting, a bias towards being closed, and a bias towards being open. Over the summer, I didn't test this system out much, tending to leave the DCCD fully open while at Auto-x, and neutral Auto on the street where you're not going to notice much on dry roads. At Rally-X, however, myself and Vicar really got to put this system through its paces, and I've extended what I've learned there on Edmonton's wonderfully inconsistent winter roads.

The manual mode doesn't require much review. You just play with it until you find the right balance for the conditions you're in and leave it. I no longer use Auto very often, but not because it doesn't work, but rather because it works really well. The thing with the manual setting is it's consistent. Once you've got a feel for how and when it's going to pull or slip, you adjust your driving accordingly and there are no surprises. Both Vicar and I, however, were intially confused by how the car was handling itself at Rally-X with the DCCD in Auto. We both had corners where the car just suddenly dove right into the turn as we were trying to exit. We were already on the power, starting to let the car slide onto the exit line after rotating the tail end through the corner, when the car stopped slipping and gripped right in with the full power of the engine gripping the ground.

So on loose gravel, going about 60 km/h and sliding with the throttle to the floor, the DCCD figured out just how to split up the power and get the front wheels biting. Despite it costing me 4 seconds in cone penalties and putting me on the completely wrong line, this was very impressive. Chewing through heavy snow around Edmonton this winter has been equally impressive. The car always seems to figure out just where to put the power down to keep you moving. If I was some sort of computer interfacing with the DCCD and I knew exactly when it was going to do what, this would be an amazing system. Not being a robot, however, I tend to turn it off since I would much rather be a little slower or have a little less grip, while still knowing where the car is going to go. There's no indicator light or any sort of warning that the car is about very suddenly change the way it's behaving. This is why I typically drive with the DCCD in manual, and just make adjustments myself as I move into different conditions.

Which brings us to VDC, or Vehicle Dynamics Control (a proprietary name for traction control). VDC is also available in the WRX, but only comes with two modes: on and off. On the STi there are three modes: on, partially on, and off. Much like the DCCD, VDC will make the car do completely unexpected things with absolutely no warning. However, while the DCCD does this to enhance your inputs (i.e. helps you put the power you're asking for onto the road), VDC is a nanny mode, cutting and adjusting your inputs to what it deems to be safe.

My first real encounter with the VDC was in the 'on' state, accelerating from a stop light. The roads in Edmonton are garbage, and have many potholes. At this particularly bad intersection I hit several bumps while I was accelerating and the car came to an almost dead stop. In the fully on mode, the VDC seems to first try to regain traction when it detects a loss (from a pothole, going in a straight line) by cutting your throttle. It also takes about a second and a half to give any throttle back. In the partially on mode, it will no longer adjust your throttle, but it will still selectively apply braking to the wheels to maintain traction. The end result is if you start to slip out, just stop steering. Any attempts to counter-steer, or move the car the way you want it to at this point will result in the VDC completely negating your input and taking you where it thinks you should (with some lag, so you're going to bounce side-to-side a lot in the process). So, if you come into a lower traction corner a little too fast, and want to try to get the car rotated and claw your way out with the AWD, think again. VDC says you're going straight off the road and into the ditch because sliding is bad. If you're going to drive one of these, reach over to your left and hold down the little VDC button until you get a yellow icon on the cluster - you want this thing completely off.

And there's one final truly annoying nanny feature introduced to the GRs, the "Hill Holder System". To make this little gem even more annoying, there's no simple way to turn it off. Subaru has not provided a switch for this one, and just decided to assume you never learned how to drive with a manual gearbox. I didn't even know this feature existed until I launched off a green light completely unintentionally. Had there been a car in front of me at the time, there might have been an accident. Here's how it happened:

I was stop at a red light with about a 5 degree incline. When the light went green, I was quickly on the throttle and letting off the clutch. My brain had a momentary realization that I was not yet moving despite the fact that I should have been, and not wanting to roll backwards, I added more throttle. It was then that the "Hill Holder" decided it should probably stop holding and released the brakes (which I didn't know it had applied - once again, no warning light that the system has gone active), launching me off the light like a street racer. I now know to be very careful starting the car up a hill, especially if someone is in front of me. I still occasionally forget the system is there and end up taking off for more spiritedly than I had intended.

So now we've got two "safety" features that can kill you. I also mentioned before that the ABS is too intrusive for Rally-X. At this point it probably sounds like I'm not that thrilled with the car. However, that couldn't be farther from the truth. I like to imagine that there was one lone engineer as Subaru left over from the old days. Suffocating under the committees of Helpful Engineers of the Nanny State (lets call them HENS from now on) he decided he was going to slip in one little design tweak to stick it to these mother HENS. You see, the VDC, ABS, and Hill Assist are all on a single fuse. Pull that one 30amp fuse, and almost everything annoying about this car goes away. She becomes a proper race car.

I've been asked why I race a brand new, $40,000 car. My response is why wouldn't you race a brand new $40,000 car - underneath everything, this car was built to go fast, and it was built to go fast everywhere. Like any Subaru we've seen, there's an understeer issue in the factory configuration, and I will be stiffening up the sways to cut down the surprising (but still manageable) amount of body roll. Maxing out the negative camber on the stock camber bolts, however, does a lot to help this, and she'll start turning in a lot sharper. I also have a small quibble with the tires, but only because the STi used to come with RE-070s before Subaru decided to go to the 18" rim. The stock Dunlops that the STi has now will only last you two years if you're racing them before the rubber comes off in chunks - but had we never been spoiled with the RE-070s, then this would be par for the course with just about every factory tire option.

So, lets get back to the power. By far this is the most noticeable thing when you're racing this car, especially if you're used to a WRX or lower. There's a lot more torque, and even more punch once the turbo spools up. I've spent a lot of time analyzing the flaws because the perks are so simple and so perfect. It's the same AWD drive that you already love if you're in a Subaru, with enough power that you imagine the car is devouring the race course. As I mentioned in Tales from the Gravel, in the hands of a very experienced driver, it can be downright frightening how fast this car get around both an Auto-X and a Rally-X course. Use your first couple runs to find the sweet spot on the DCCD for the conditions, and the car is going to dance around the course. With the ABS pulled, the Brembos pack huge stopping power (and on dry surfaces you can even leave the ABS on), generating a lovely feeling like your guts are going to come out of your ribcage when you get on them hard.

Overall, the GR STi is a great car. It's not perfect, and most of its imperfections come from concessions that Subaru has made to try to bring over the Audi drivers. Peel those things away, and you've still got a beastly little Subaru that's still going to turn a lot of heads and put a huge smile on your face.
===========
A filthy Subaru is a happy Subaru.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
Re: Six Months Living with an STi
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:43:57 pm »
*looks for that fuse*

I think there is also a connector in the WRX that freezes and causes the ABS/VCD/HillAssist to turn off some how - I need to find that connector or figure out which fuse to pull!  I hate those 3 damn safety options! *grumble grumble*

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:04:43 pm »
You can turn the hill holder system off in the STi, its in the manual somewhere.  Its not in the 2.5i and I cry.

Offline jonny

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • full of awesomeness
    • http://www.westernsubaruclub.com
  • Ride: Ow-dee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »
You can turn the hill holder system off in the STi, its in the manual somewhere.  Its not in the 2.5i and I cry.

only in 09+, i dont think they've made it available to turn off in the 08s yet.
Current stage of evolution:

Honda -> Acura -> Subaru -> Subaru -> Audi

Offline Tabibito

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:35 pm »
I will have to look up this method of turning it off if there's one other than pulling the fuse. My complaint still stands, there's no obvious way to disable it, no warning that it's even there, and no indication that it's active other than the feel of the car once you know that it is there.
===========

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 05:25:02 pm »
Great review!  Almost makes me sad that I sold mine :(

Almost ;)

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:03 pm »
Just thought I would share the procedure with all the people including myself that hate this feature.
Stop your vehicle in a flat area, apply parking brake and turn engine off.
Restart engine.
Press VDC button and hold until disabled.Do not take finger off the button.
The light will go yellow, green and it will turn off.
Within 5 seconds of of VDC light turning off, release the button.
Within 2 seconds of releasing button, press the VDC button again and and a hill assist light will illuminate on the dash.
Turn off engine.
Restart engine.
Presto!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624039&highlight=turn+off+hill+assist

I sware someone posted something up here too but couldn't find it in my quick 30 sec search.  Some people say it don't  work for 08??  But doesn't hurt to try.

boiboi9

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:42 pm »
...makes me sad I didn't man up and get an STI!

IDIOT!! i think to my self

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:30:25 pm »
Great write up!

One day... I'll have an STi. One day.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Tabibito

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 05:34:16 pm »
My VDC light does its colours in a different order, so I'll check my manual for the 2010 - that said, it's a really crappy feature that is in place only to assist people who don't know and/or don't want to learn how to properly drive with a manual transmission. With a car like the STi, Subaru shouldn't be wasting their time coddling the drivers. Leave that to Mitsubishi ;)
===========

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:59 pm »
My VDC light does its colours in a different order, so I'll check my manual for the 2010 - that said, it's a really crappy feature that is in place only to assist people who don't know and/or don't want to learn how to properly drive with a manual transmission. With a car like the STi, Subaru shouldn't be wasting their time coddling the drivers. Leave that to Mitsubishi ;)

I couldn't stand the Hill Control garbage....much better after you shut it off.  The only crappy thing is that while it is disabled you have to put up with an indicator light on the cluster showing that it is off.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 07:34:14 pm »
Just thought I would share the procedure with all the people including myself that hate this feature.
Stop your vehicle in a flat area, apply parking brake and turn engine off.
Restart engine.
Press VDC button and hold until disabled.Do not take finger off the button.
The light will go yellow, green and it will turn off.
Within 5 seconds of of VDC light turning off, release the button.
Within 2 seconds of releasing button, press the VDC button again and and a hill assist light will illuminate on the dash.
Turn off engine.
Restart engine.
Presto!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624039&highlight=turn+off+hill+assist

I sware someone posted something up here too but couldn't find it in my quick 30 sec search.  Some people say it don't  work for 08??  But doesn't hurt to try.

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start?

;)

Tabibito, what a great write up! Easy to read, detailed, and in the moment: feels like we're in the car with you! 
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:16:23 pm »
Good review, but I actually found quite opposite success with the DCCD.  I found that I had to keep adjusting the DCCD nearly corner by corner to create ideal conditions and found that it was actually counter-productive to my driving.  I found that it was actually quite difficult to lose traction when it was in auto mode vs manual mode and felt that I had much better control of the car with Auto DCCD.

Offline Wronks

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »
Awesome write-up Tababito.

Personally, I love the Hill-Holder system. I have learned and adapted to use it to my advantage; but that took two years of learning (I used to hate it). The only time I will ever have the VDC on is when I am cruising on the highway, otherwise I disable it always,  upon start-up of the vehicle. As for intelligent mode; I understand why they made it, and how some may "enjoy" it, but myself (like you) prefer to keep it in S# the majority of the time. I bought my STi to have fun, not to granny it around in Intelligent mode.

Now to provide my input. There are many things I love about my STi, and any year of the STi generations.
-These cars have amazing headroom (without the moonroof). I'm 6'2" and I still have about 5-6 inches of headroom. Not to mention in the backseat. You have just about as much headroom in the rear too, and also plenty of other rooms to do other things... It's quite awesome. As a side note, I've been in the back of a new S4, and a new Chrysler 300C SRT-8, and neither of these sport sedans have any type of headroom in the back. It's kind of sad.
-As for the seats, I LOVE them. They are very, very comfortable, yet supportive. I know they are different from year to year, but to me, they are incredibly perfect (in my 08). Everyone that has sat in my vehicle has oogled over the comfort of them, and I can see why.
-I enjoy the new cubby hole (on the 08+ Impreza's). You can store tons of little goodies there.
-I also appreciate the fact that it has curtain airbags. I never even considered safety when purchasing my car, but I now realize the importance of it, and I'm glad Subaru's are quite safe vehicles. Accidents happen, and they happen when you least expect it. That is why safety becomes important.
-The interior (black on grey) is, to me, very appealing, and dazzles those whom I choose to commute around with
-I love the fact that I can have a Monster (energy drink), or 8, and have a spot to store them; eight cupholders!
-The hatch has an amazing amount of room. Just like Tababito, I like to hit up the mountains, or cruise around with lots of things, and well, the ability to fold down the seats is very helpful
-The lighted floor area has it's benefits, and I like to see what's on the ground if I drop something
-The looks. Well, I have fallen in love with this car. There's something to be said about a hatch that looks evil. I swear if I could put a face to my car, it would be some serial killer with a twitch eye. But personally my favorite styling is the 06-07 STi's, but I've driven 3 of them, and although everything inside me screams "hey sexy, come back to my place" (this is my boy racer heart talking), I fall back to what is practical for me. And that's just what I love. I can do whatever, and pretty much go wherever, in this car.

In the past two years, I've hit mudholes, and 3.5ft high drifts on 4 mile long roads. I have never been stuck yet. Ever. This vehicle absolutely amazes me, and everyone else that's had a chance to come along for a ride. If I had purchased any other car, it would have been long gone already. But buying my car has proven to me that Subaru knows what they're doing. Almost everyday I drive an abundance of terrain and conditions, as I do not live directly in Edmonton. I drive windy gravel roads, then highway, then city.

Everyday I come home on the lonely backroads, and what brings a smile to my face is the fact that I get to "tool" around with no traffic, no NOTHING, to worry about. I just get to whip 'er loose and end the day off with a good note. Just take this car, push your foot on the accelerator, and everything (the outside world) fades away. You fall into a trance of engine harmony, and nothing else seems to matter. I'm usually by myself in my commutes, and that never stops the ear to ear grin that emerges from driving this beast. Every morning I wakeup excited to drive, excited to go wherever my destination may be. I've never had an experience like this. It's very gratifying to actually want to learn new things while driving, and to want to become a better driver. I guess in summary, all I can say is that I am very happy with my purchase, and for those of you thinking, "should I?" or "should I not?", here's my answer: "Pull the trigger"...your Subaru will be like nothing else on the road.
Wronks - Have fun out there.

Offline trevoroni

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Justy | Outback 3.0R | Crosstrek | STI
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:22:05 pm »
Everyday I come home on the lonely backroads, and what brings a smile to my face is the fact that I get to "tool" around with no traffic, no NOTHING, to worry about. I just get to whip 'er loose and end the day off with a good note. Just take this car, push your foot on the accelerator, and everything (the outside world) fades away. You fall into a trance of engine harmony, and nothing else seems to matter. I'm usually by myself in my commutes, and that never stops the ear to ear grin that emerges from driving this beast. Every morning I wakeup excited to drive, excited to go wherever my destination may be. I've never had an experience like this. It's very gratifying to actually want to learn new things while driving, and to want to become a better driver. I guess in summary, all I can say is that I am very happy with my purchase, and for those of you thinking, "should I?" or "should I not?", here's my answer: "Pull the trigger"...your Subaru will be like nothing else on the road.
I couldn't have put it better myself.
Every morning it makes it that much easier to leave a nice warm bed and head out the door, and no matter how bad of a day at work I could have by the time I get home it's just a distant memory.

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRB Impreza Ltd wagon
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 09:35:29 am »
Great review on the STi! I really wish that it were an affordable option right now, but as it stands I'll be sticking to the N/A version of this awe-inspiring beast (if you can consider them the same car at all...). I'd like to post my own review once I take delivery of my '10 2.5i base as a contrast to all of the things that Subaru did right with your car.

From what I can tell right now, my complaints will have a lot to do with the poor interior finishing that sets the base model apart from every other car on the 6 star lot. For now though, I'd just settle for a car to drive as I'm now into my 2nd week of waiting for my new Subie to arrive and I'm starting to go a bit crazy.
'06 2.5i Wagon: 60KM->sold
'01 Forester S: 217KM->sold
'10 2.5i Wagon: gone...
'07 WRX Wagon: 167,xxx really fun kms!
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline kingby

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 02:36:42 pm »

the '08 does it in the colour order that BigDL quoted.  '09+ does it in the reverse order that you indicate.  It is in my '09 manual and I have off.

Offline saar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2010 WRB STI
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24:19 pm »
As someone that has switched up from an '07 (GD) STI to a 2010 STI (GR), I've got a few points to add to an already-outstanding review:

While I like the interior of the GR colour-wise, it does come off a bit cheap with the excessive use of textured plastic -- on the doors especially. During the winter months (or any time of year, really) the material and colour combination makes for a set of door panels that catch and show every little iota of dirt that comes near them. It's almost impossible to keep them clean without having OCD. I know they're trying to save weight, but it looks (and feels) terribly cheap for the price of the vehicle.

VDC is also always off on my car. I nearly ditched out in a blizzard on the highway because of it; I couldn't correct when the back end started to slip away on me in a corner and the VDC took the throttle away from me. I spent a very panicked couple of seconds heading directly towards a "TURN HERE, IDIOT" sign just outside of Gull Lake before the car recovered. Feeling like a passenger when you're driving terrifies me, so VDC is always a yellow slippy-car icon in my dash whenever the car's on.

I've left hill assist on still. I don't really get any benefit from it, but I also don't have a lot of hate for it either. "Mildly annoying" is my best description for it. Once you get used to it being there, you'll be expecting it and can easily compensate for it. It'd probably be a spiffy idea to just have an indicator somewhere to let the driver know when the car is deploying the brakes though.

For the DCCD, I've had it almost exclusively in one of the 3 Auto modes. I haven't had a chance yet to really dial in the manual, and I've only needed to lock it a couple of times while yanking other vehicles out of the ditch. I think the two additional auto modes were an excellent idea on Subaru's part, and I find myself changing them around often to better suit the driving conditions. It does make a noticeable difference.

I also opted for the "base" STI, for exactly the same reasons as Tabibito. The wheels were the only desirable option for me, and I wasn't going to spend $6,000 on them. However, the stock tire/wheel package on the base STI is horrendous from a performance perspective. The wheels, while they suit the look of the car well, are extremely heavy. The rubber is god-awful to the point that I mistook them for all seasons. Granted I was used to RE-01rs from my '07, but wow those Dunlops don't even deserve to be on these cars. This is absolutely going to be my first "mod" to the car -- replacing both of them.

I found the HIDs were a touch on the low side (understandably), so I've since adjusted them using the handy dial found on the back of the lamp enclosures. At night on the highway if you're too close to use the high beams, you'll find you can't see far enough ahead with the default beam height to react to objects on the road. The HIDs throw out plenty of light that you can easily knock the beam up a little bit to allow yourself more reaction time at speed without blinding oncoming drivers. The last part is important, because HIDs are extremely bright, and when they're not aimed correctly they become very unsafe for other drivers.

SI-Drive was something I was initially enthused about, but have since soured on. Really all you're doing is gimping your expensive sports car. None of the settings actually offer improved fuel mileage -- they simply reduce the amount power (and therefore fuel) you've got access to at any given time. You will achieve identical fuel mileage in S# mode if you granny shift like the car wants you to in Intelligent mode. Just be careful with the "go" pedal! On the highway, Intelligent mode will actually cause you to use more fuel as the car needs to really hammer the throttle to get over larger hills without the help of the turbo (boost is all but off in Intelligent mode). So S# it is. At the end of the day, I bought the car because "fast" makes me smile. Giving me a "gimp" dial is pointless.

Another annoyance is that the car won't remember S# mode when you turn it off. It will remember Sport or Intelligent, but if you have it in S# and turn the car off, you'll be down in Sport the next time you start it. You end up feeling like a pilot every time you start the car, because you're forced to re-set everything each time. For example, it will remember what level of Manual mode you've left it in, but it will always default to basic Auto mode when shut off. Even the other Auto modes are forgotten. So unless you always use basic Auto mode (thus defeating the purpose of having a DCCD) this gets old quickly.

I haven't had any of the typical thin paint complaints that I've read about (yet). While I do have a few rock chips, they were all caused by large high-velocity rocks from a rig platform that probably would have made a bullet hole in another car. I got all of them on the same trip from the same truck, and haven't gotten anymore since then. For whatever reason, 99% of rocks tend to nail the windscreen and not the body on this car. So while the body's doing fine, the glass is pretty thoroughly done.

The car really feels a lot heavier than the '07 did. The chassis itself does feel very much more rigid and stiff, but the platform it's riding on feels floppy and unresponsive at times. The '07 took corners and slides with a purpose -- it felt like a metal version of an attack dog. "You want me where? Done, I'm there". The 2010 is more like "Really? Well, all right I guess. I'll start heading that way". It can always be modded out, but it's a little disappointing that it's necessary.

Looks-wise, I really miss the '07. I do like the looks of the GRs, and they have grown on me, but they're more than a little tepid when placed beside an 06-07. In some ways though, this is a good thing. Every fruit cake ricer on the streets isn't trying to race me anymore (or even looking at me), nor are any of the other plethora of bad driver stereotypes. I also feel a lot more confident when I leave the car in a public place and I can't see it for a period of time. With the '07 I had to strategically park so the car was always somewhere I could see it when inside a building. My logic was "well, if it attracts this much attention when it's moving, it will attract an equal amount parked and some of that isn't going to be good attention".

My $0.02.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »
nice write up John!

I like driving it too.

my .02
 8)

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline dtaiwo

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 10:57:42 am »
Great write up.

Is there anyway to disable hill assist in the '09 265? Right now to get around it, I take my foot off the brake pedal, clutch in, shift in to first then get on the gas.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 11:11:45 am »
Great write up.

Is there anyway to disable hill assist in the '09 265? Right now to get around it, I take my foot off the brake pedal, clutch in, shift in to first then get on the gas.

The hill assist will only "enable" itself if your foot is on the brake WHILE you shift into first.
The only way to not enable it is to do the steps you have already done. Brake off, THEN shift.

Offline Preacher

• Stubbly Faced
  • Dear God Not Again.
  • Ride: STI 09' black
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 03:53:20 pm »

"Everyday I come home on the lonely backroads, and what brings a smile to my face is the fact that I get to "tool" around with no traffic, no NOTHING, to worry about. I just get to whip 'er loose and end the day off with a good note. Just take this car, push your foot on the accelerator, and everything (the outside world) fades away. You fall into a trance of engine harmony, and nothing else seems to matter. I'm usually by myself in my commutes, and that never stops the ear to ear grin that emerges from driving this beast. Every morning I wakeup excited to drive, excited to go wherever my destination may be. I've never had an experience like this. It's very gratifying to actually want to learn new things while driving, and to want to become a better driver. I guess in summary, all I can say is that I am very happy with my purchase, and for those of you thinking, "should I?" or "should I not?", here's my answer: "Pull the trigger"...your Subaru will be like nothing else on the road."

I could not HAVE said it any better my self.. I feel the same way
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

Offline Scout255

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 12:52:41 pm »
With all the complaints about VDC, DCCD, SI-Drive, etc. you guys may want to look here: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-general/181473-turn-vdc-tc-off-s-automatically.html

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 01:24:28 pm »
Wow, what a great device!  Very simple too.  I used to do stuff like this in school - shame on me for letting my 'skills' fade away.

Offline Preacher

• Stubbly Faced
  • Dear God Not Again.
  • Ride: STI 09' black
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 04:00:18 pm »
+1 there adam. I have the skills to do this.. but man what a lot of time he must have invested. and for 100$ id get one. and try it out.  I sure hope he markets this!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.