Author Topic: Shell 91 vs Husky 94  (Read 21040 times)

Offline RedlineMenace.

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Pork Choppy McMoose.
  • Ride: 06' OBP STi. Stage 2. Extra rad Driver.
Shell 91 vs Husky 94
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »
I've recently bumped my car back down to shell 91 on my Accessport, and ofcourse switched to shell 91. Originally because i know the 91 from shell gets better mileage and im going to school. Im actually finding my car runs better. I could swear my exhaust even sounds deeper. I just wanna hear some opinions. I know this discussion is a bit redundant, but now we have a super sweet pole.  ;D
You can never go fast enough, because you can Always go Faster.

Offline marc l

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: impreza wrx ish
Re: Shell 91 vs Husky 94
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:11:08 pm »
old fight but i'll comment

driving on a z4 ecu, i noticed both vehicles idle the same on both gases..

i get the same gas mileage on both gases.

but the car comes on way stronger running huskey/mohawk 94.

its a big enough difference i can actually feel it. 94 wins hands down. if shell would come out with something equal or higher than husky, id be all over it... but i think we will be waiting forever for that
"Sally! No playing Left Five Over Crest in the house!"

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:13:32 pm »
I prefer Husky 94. No real reason why. Kind of like why I chose a Subaru over a Mitsubishi.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:49:40 pm »
I've recently bumped my car back down to shell 91 on my Accessport, and ofcourse switched to shell 91. Originally because i know the 91 from shell gets better mileage and im going to school. Im actually finding my car runs better. I could swear my exhaust even sounds deeper. I just wanna hear some opinions. I know this discussion is a bit redundant, but now we have a super sweet pole.  ;D

The accessport doesn't have a "shell 91 map". Your car will "run better" when you switch fuels, especially when you run the recommended octane for your map. Lets not get into this discussion again of why a fuel with 10% ethanol will burn more than 100% gas.

Another thing, this whole "I prefer" this brand of gas over another is pointless without actually doing logs and having someone qualified looking over them. You might think that your car runs better, but chances are it is just running pig rich, like all OTS Accessport maps.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »
You know what runs best?

Having a specific tune for your mods and the fuel you're running.  ;)

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:27 pm »
My car seems to like Shell 91 best for fuel mileage.  As for any performance gains i might get from running 94 over 91 - i cannot say for sure because i dont have a way to log results.

Offline twinny

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2000 "2.0" RS
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:52:45 pm »
my car is N/A   but i had tried  shell 87,89,91  and husky 90,92,94

i find shell 89 is the best for my 2.5 RS  good mileage and power

husky 92 is alright but is burn too fast... 
when i was using husky 94 , i got 260-280 km
with with 91  about    320-360
but with shell 89 i get 420-460

once again my car is N/A  so  94 and 91 is a waste on my car  , but huge different  running 87/90  to  89/92
It's not about how fast you drive , it's about how you drive fast

Offline RedlineMenace.

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Pork Choppy McMoose.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 09:22:08 pm »

The accessport doesn't have a "shell 91 map". Your car will "run better" when you switch fuels, especially when you run the recommended octane for your map. Lets not get into this discussion again of why a fuel with 10% ethanol will burn more than 100% gas.

Another thing, this whole "I prefer" this brand of gas over another is pointless without actually doing logs and having someone qualified looking over them. You might think that your car runs better, but chances are it is just running pig rich, like all OTS Accessport maps.

Well, my innovative motorsports live AFR gauge doesnt seem to show it running rich. I didnt notice an increase when i reflashed with the COBB preset maps.  I could hook it up to my laptop and see the difference, as it does have logging capabilities. I didn't literally mean a Shell 91 map, just meant the stage 2 91. I dont see how the 10% ethanol would burn 100% more gas, its just clear that running the 91 gets me further on a tank.

You know what runs best?

Having a specific tune for your mods and the fuel you're running.  ;)

A boy can dream.  :P. Im hoping to get my car into lightspeed, or possibly airboy, this spring. They sure can do some amazing things.

I never realized this topic could be a bit of a soft spot for some people. I must've stopped reading the other threads before the battles began. Just lookin' for some opinions.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:00:09 pm »
Well, my innovative motorsports live AFR gauge doesnt seem to show it running rich. I didnt notice an increase when i reflashed with the COBB preset maps.  I could hook it up to my laptop and see the difference, as it does have logging capabilities. I didn't literally mean a Shell 91 map, just meant the stage 2 91. I dont see how the 10% ethanol would burn 100% more gas, its just clear that running the 91 gets me further on a tank.

What does your A/F gauge read under full boost?  I thought most OTS maps ran very rich (10 or lower).

Offline RedlineMenace.

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Pork Choppy McMoose.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:24 pm »

What does your A/F gauge read under full boost?  I thought most OTS maps ran very rich (10 or lower).

I can't remember off the top of my head. (Doing some blueprinting so my head is filled with specs). I will tell you tomorow, i know it generally stays in the 14 range when im not WOT. Its a bit of a pain in the assay though because it reads redonkularsly fast and the readings on the gauge change just as fast. I gotta hook it up to my laptop and turn down the read time to like 1/4 of a second, i think it comes preset to read at about 1/8th of a second. A bit hectic, but always good to know.

Offline Bruiser

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 07 Sienna Limited AWD
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 06:52:42 am »
I have an Airboy tune on 91 (I think) and I get the same mileage/performance from Shell 91 as I do from Husky 94.  Absolutely no data to back this up.  Usually getting somewhere around 10L/100km. 

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 07:07:49 am »

I used both Shell 91 and Husky 94 over the summer on a trip to BC, and though I didn't log my fuel mileage, I noticed no major difference while driving through the mountains. Maybe that was because I couldn't keep my foot out of it ;D

One of the primary reasons I use Husky/Mohawk gas, with absolutely no performance relation, is that I get points towards paying off my next AMA membership. Works good for me!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:43:08 am »
This thread reeks of excellence.

Offline ausdave555

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:14 am »
Mines a JDM STI which as with Australian STI's i'm assuming runs 98 RON (we use a wacky other scale over there). I'm pretty sure this converts to 94ish (PON) over here. With 91 from shell i've noticed hesitation as the boost comes on... bad. I'm on factory tune. Does Huskys 10% ethanol burnt hotter therefore -1 heat range plugs is not a bad idea?

I get terrible mileage always  ;D

EJ207

Offline tREBs

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:26 pm »
I personally use husky 94, also helps I have a station about 2 blocks from my house :D

I noticed a SLIGHT hesitation with shell 91, other than that there is no real difference.

Offline aleks

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:18 pm »
I use Husky 92 most of the time.  Once in a while I'll fill up with Shell 91.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 01:20:34 pm »
Ausdave: you should PM Airboy to see if you can have your car tuned for our fuel.  IIRC, Hurricane is using a V7 ECU and has done some tuning to his new engine so it is definitely possible to tune the newer JDM cars as opposed to the older ones (pre-01)

Offline ausdave555

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 02:55:58 pm »
Ausdave: you should PM Airboy to see if you can have your car tuned for our fuel.  IIRC, Hurricane is using a V7 ECU and has done some tuning to his new engine so it is definitely possible to tune the newer JDM cars as opposed to the older ones (pre-01)

I'm kinda happy with stock setup/tune.... gives me peace of mind and the car performs very well. We have no problems with ecu hookups with romraider etc. I'm downtown so I have 3 husky's within a few blocks. I'm pretty sure 98RON (Aus/Jap/UK) and 94PON (Canada/US) are the same things, it wouldn't make sense for them to be much different. I would like to see a Shell 93/94 though. The bad mileage comes from voluntary excessive throttle usage. I've done calgary/louise and back on one tank driving....mostly effeciently. Passing everyone up hills is far too satisfying.

Offline RedlineMenace.

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Pork Choppy McMoose.
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 04:04:00 pm »
Hey grant; I did about half a dozen pulls today just for you.  :P The average was Low 11s but i was able to get it down to 10.8. This all being at WOT. 4th and 5th gear pulls. Would've prefered a 3rd gear pull but it just wasn't reasonable for the location. Do mind the fact that the AFR gauge is lightning fast with the numbers though. So until i get a proper cord for my laptop, i can't give Exact specs.

Post script; I am Still in love with my APS exhaust.  ;D

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 06:44:06 pm »
That sounds 100% reasonable for an A/F ratio to be targeting under full boost! :D

Offline RedlineMenace.

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Pork Choppy McMoose.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:18 pm »
That sounds 100% reasonable for an A/F ratio to be targeting under full boost! :D

Yeah im pretty happy with it, just gotta paint the bezel to match my Defi gauges. Only problem is im supposed to remove the sensor every 3 months and calibrate it on open air. What a pain in the assay to get at. You should see the wrench i had to redneck into shape to be able  to get it out, without taking off the TMIC that is.  8)

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 08:52:20 am »
Yeah im pretty happy with it, just gotta paint the bezel to match my Defi gauges. Only problem is im supposed to remove the sensor every 3 months and calibrate it on open air. What a pain in the assay to get at. You should see the wrench i had to redneck into shape to be able  to get it out, without taking off the TMIC that is.  8)

When you're decelerating in gear your fuel injectors aren't firing.  I thought that was how most people calibrated them?

Offline RedlineMenace.

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Pork Choppy McMoose.
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 06:25:59 pm »

When you're decelerating in gear your fuel injectors aren't firing.  I thought that was how most people calibrated them?

Hmm never thought of that, i'm just going by what Innovative says. I'd be concerned though that its not 100% clean air. Don't wanna calibrate my sensor to an untrue reading. I can do it in 20 minutes or so if all goes well. Give or take a few scratched knuckles. 8)

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

The only way to do an open air calibration is either have the car not running for >8hrs and calibrating before startup, or remove from the DP or cat-back and calibrate.

The JDM V7+ ECU can be tuned just like any 2002+ USDM ECU.

Also Husky 90 kicks any other companies premium.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 07:44:39 pm »
Also Husky 90 kicks any other companies premium.

I have always been tempted to try Husky 90, or 92.  I know the 94 is better than any other premium, but I did not realize this extended to the 90 as well.

Did you notice this when you were still on straight pump gas, or when you switched over to water/meth injection?