Author Topic: Jason R Morrow's 02WRX...No wing, More Group N, back to Stock Brakes  (Read 29090 times)

JasonrMorrow

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan

• Purchased in Aug 2008 from original owner with less than 75,000kms
  • Late 02 model has upgraded "BA" transmission
  • Car was completely stock

As the Car sits right now UPDATED - June 26th, 2011- All modifications or future modifications are planned with building a competitive Autox
car in Local, Regional and National events.

Body Modifications
  • Remove Factory Wing
  • Remove Foglight Assemblies
  • 35% Tint - keeps car cool in Pits

Engine/Transmission
  • Grimmspeed Ported/High Temp Coated Exhaust Manifolds
  • Grimmspeed High Flow/High Temp Coated Crosspipe
  • Group N Engine Mounts, Pitch Stop and Transmission Mount
  • Greddy Up pipe with EGT fitting
  • Cobb Accessport V2
  • Lightspeed STX tune, Lightspeed Stg 2 tune
  • Speedtech Catted downpipe
  • Speedtech Cat back
  • Whiteline Gearbox Mount Bushings
  • Motul 300V 5w30
  • Kartboy Short Shifter, Front and Rear Bushings
  • TIC Pivot Bushing
  • Motul Gear 300 trans fluid
  • Deka ETX14 lightweight battery

Wheels/Tires/Suspension
  • 17x8" +45 Enkei RPF1 in Limited Edition Matte Bronze Wheels
  • 245/40r17 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Tires - Cold/Wet weather
  • 17x8" +45 Enkei RPF1 Silver Wheels
  • 245/40r17 Hankook RS3 tires Warm/Dry weather
  • Whiteline 24mm fixed front sway bar
  • Whiteline 24mm fixed rear sway bar
  • Whiteline Alloy rear endlinks
  • Whiteline Alloy front endlinks
  • Whiteline HD rear sway bar mounts
  • Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
  • Whiteline Offset Control Arm Bushing - 0.5* additional caster
  • Whiteline Motorsports Front Camber/Caster plates - Adjusted for 6.2* caster
  • Whiteline Rear outrigger bushings
  • Whiteline Adjustable Rear Lateral Links - Toe/Camber adjustable
  • Whiteline Toe Lock kit
  • TIC rear diff mount bushings - comfort
  • RaceCompEngineering Tarmac 2 Coilovers - 500lb/400lb rates
  • Group N Rear Strut Mounts

Brakes
  • Hawk HP+ front pads
  • Hawk HP+ rear pads
  • H6 rear rotor upgrade
  • Stainless Brake lines

Autocross
  • 2009 CSCC Rookie of the Year
  • 2009 CSCC 2nd Overall Pax in Club Championship
  • 18th Place finish at 2009 ASN/FIA National Autocross Championships
  • 2010 SSIS Pax Champion
  • 2010 SSIS STX Champion
  • 2010 SASC Overall Champion - Pax and Raw
  • 2010 CSCC Overall Champion - Pax and Raw

Sponsors
I'm extremely proud and very lucky to have support from these great companies.
Hard work, good car setup, research and quick learning from my Rookie AutoX season managed to attract some attention.
Set your goals high, work hard and achieve, you may also get noticed.

JasonrMorrow

Re: Jason R Morrow's Bugeye Sedan..."The 2nd Autox thread"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:49:18 pm »
Well its about time I guess since I've had the car for more than a year now...

Heres what the first little attempt looked like...

Always wanted a wrx, drove my first one in 04 when my buddy got a 24hr suspension and I had to drive his car home from SAIT, had to sell my old truck to buy one, finally did August 08, bought an 02 PSM sedan, all stock, original owner with 79000 kms.
Sorry my pics are mostly taken with my blackberry...

I am an automotive apprentice at a dealer, shop night is mondays...i bought the car saturday so...

Had it 3 days...and I installed the RSR exmag catback and downpipe, also bought an APv1 from the forum and went stage 2. Less than 3 DAYS !!

This is the only issue inherited from the previous owner...

Installed the jazzyengineering modification so I can have my ipod with me, modified an ipod case and the blank where the dccd would be for a solid mount.

Then took it autcrossing with a buddy from work
, such a blast, even on hard all seasons and stock suspension.
Finished middle of the pack in raw and pax.

Next weekend was at the oval at race city. Fun track, camber bolts front and rear and big time alignment changes, slight oversteer and a big
grin from behind my helmet.

Heres a vid of my best run. Same finish mid pack.

Then last week as i was pulling in to work one of the girls backed out without looking, i swerved and managed to have her only hit the right rear, little crease in the
fender and the bumper needed to be painted. Had the body guy do his estimate at work, shes paying so booked it in for Monday this week. muahaha

As he was doing the estimate i said how bout the sideskirts...

Then i found some used gf210's cheap on the forum, checked out the previous owner and they had 10 000kms on them...
Another monday night and couple days of bodywork...heres some crappy pics, AND ITS SNOWING TONIGHT...cant wait to get it sideways at winter autox.

After those 2 Autox's highlighted in red...I was in trouble, I was hooked on driving.

So that puts us into the winter, bought a Yakima rack and mounted it to the roof rails, snowboarding
is big in the winter for my wife and I along with our parents and siblings.

After that and DAILY checking the CSCC site for winter Autox dates, found OMAC hosting a winter autocross/rallycross
event at his homebuilt track near Red Deer, March 15th 2008. The car got very muddy and I was very cold but it was a lot of fun and
most importantly it was SEAT TIME.

It took about 2 weeks and 3 thorough pressure washings while on the hoist to get all the sticky mud off.
Fully worth it though.

The following week was the March WSC Supermeet hosted by Vex. I was the late guy that showed up and parked right in front after
rolling through the crowd. I was the 2nd car out on the cruise right behind Orrin and the SRT4.

BUT the big exciting part of the weekend was waking up the next morning to 8 inches of fresh snow !!! With a Winter Autocross planned !
Another cold day but a ton of fun, much easier to wash snow off than mud, I prefer snow on paved lots.

So that takes us to the end of winter, time to think about modifying the car for summer Autocross.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:49:33 pm »
Alright so now we're into May, convinced my father in law that autox was going to be fun, he signed up for the "classroom session" and
also took my cousin along.

I bought some 04 STI wheels from my boss' son's car that got wrecked, and put some 225/45r17 Direzza Star Specs on.

Stage was set, he thinks he can beat me in his BS RX8 on RE760's. I will be in ESP this year due to the catless downpipe, didn't
really care at that point in the season.

First weekend went well, made a camera mount to catch some videos of my driving in hopes of picking up some pointers and spot my
mistakes.

Heres event 1 shot from both the outside and in car. Actually not too shabby, fairly smooth and lines look alright, i'm not weaving 3 feet around
the cones at least.

If you hit play on the top video then immediately go hit play on the 2nd video you get a dual view of the action.

And here is the first of the GOOD pictures of my car, I suck with a camera so I have let everyone else do the work for me.

First event out I pax'd 4th. So now I'm really thinking I should get serious, talk it over with the wife and decide to
run the full season and aim for rookie of the year. She agrees and I pay my membership.

Over the next few months my driving steadily improves, I also upgraded some parts...

Mid Season
- Whiteline 24mm front and rear sway bars (fixed - no need to throw setup changes into the mix at this point)
- Whiteline alloy rear end links
- Whiteline Fixed front camber/caster plates KCA335 (+.75*caster and -.5 camber)
- STI catless Uppipe
- Sunny tune

Late Season
- 17x9" Rota DPT wheels with 245/40r17 Star Specs
- modified stock strut for even more camber (-3.25*)

Last minute I decided to head to nationals in Saskatoon, some vacation plans fell through and my wife agreed we should go.
Meanwhile the rookie championship points race is extremely close. Going into nationals I'm trailing by about 3 pts.
The national events coincide with the WCMA regionals which count for rookie points. A good showing here could gain me some
valuable points. My goal was top 30, and to be top 20 I would be thrilled. The event does not give a street tire modifier so
I would be further down than my local events, not to mention there are LOTS of fast drivers instead of 5 or so at each local event.

The weekend starts off great, the adrenaline in the first run of the test and tune gets to me and I launch the car harder
than I ever have before, and it felt great, Raw time was 8th out of the 50 cars that ran the practice session. WOW.

The national event was somewhat intimidating, very fast course, very large course and the biggest group (94 drivers)
of serious Autox's I've ever been around.

After the first run and hanging around in the pits it just feels like a larger CSCC event, lots of good people, all friendly
and plenty of car talk.

I'm running against a Fox body mustang on R888's and a 2005 Mustang GT on V710's or Hoosiers not sure, Rei was also there from
Edmonton on street tires. We had our work cut out for us.

After saturday's weird split, 2 morning runs then 2 afternoon runs, I was sitting 1st in my class by .887 sec over the 05 Mustang and 12th overall in pax.

Then starts my 2 weeks of mind blocks. 1st run Sunday was ok, safe like always, 2nd run I felt I made a mistake running wide early, so I decide to give er hell the rest of the run and see where I can push the car for the afternoon runs, I tag 1 cone in the slalom and the run ends up very fast. But coned away.

The afternoon 2 runs I knew I had to be fast, the 05 Mustang was quick and I didn't have a clean fast run, too safe on the 3rd, pushed too hard on the 4th and coned it away. Lost the class by .269 secs. I was angry at myself.

Anyways heres the final results, 18th out of 93. And lots of good results by other Calgary drivers...

TIME TO GO...more updates later

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:25:50 pm »
C'mon spill the goods about those tophats! :D

Offline bobbyC

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:15:14 pm »
Ok update #2

It took about 2 weeks and 3 thorough pressure washings while on the hoist to get all the sticky mud off.
Fully worth it though.

BUT the big exciting part of the weekend was waking up the next morning to 8 inches of fresh snow !!! With a Winter Autocross planned !

Another cold day but a ton of fun, much easier to wash snow off than mud, I prefer snow on paved lots.

So that takes us to the end of winter, time to think about modifying the car for summer Autocross.

These pics here alone make me want to get involved in auto-x!

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:32:08 pm »
bobby, those are rally-x
auto-x is usually in summer on pavement.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:52:58 pm »
Bobby,

Those were at Orrins track and there's a good chance well be able to race there again this fall or winter. Its east of Red Deer but it was pretty fun. I noticed you sporting drag racing numbers at work...wipe those off and come out for something far more exciting. Ill show you some videos sometime at work if you want.

Offline bobbyC

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:50:48 pm »
bobby, those are rally-x
auto-x is usually in summer on pavement.

ooops that's my bad... lol, I kinda just associated them both together.
Bobby,

Those were at Orrins track and there's a good chance well be able to race there again this fall or winter. Its east of Red Deer but it was pretty fun. I noticed you sporting drag racing numbers at work...wipe those off and come out for something far more exciting. Ill show you some videos sometime at work if you want.

just let me know when your headin down and I'll be there! As for the #'s, I've only ever made 3 passes at RCMP and the best part is coming back :D

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:50:56 am »
awesome write up. It makes me want to try autoX.  And Definitely winter rally x!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 09:38:25 am »
Looks like fun.. If only I had the time =(
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline oldskier

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 08:26:34 pm »
Jason, good showing at nationals. I see you are planning to go to stx next year. Do you have to have an up pipe with the egt bung for that? I recently went to the cobb catted tbe, so I might look into what else I need for that class.

Cheers
Geoff

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 08:33:49 pm »
Do you have to have an up pipe with the egt bung for that?

Yup, not allowed to disable/remove any emissions stuff.  But you can still delete/consolidate down to 1 Catalytic converter under the STX rules.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 08:45:05 pm »
Jason, good showing at nationals. I see you are planning to go to stx next year. Do you have to have an up pipe with the egt bung for that? I recently went to the cobb catted tbe, so I might look into what else I need for that class.

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

You can go down to one cat, Grant has done it with a Cobb catted downpipe, but to be sure I'm going to weld 2 high flow cats into my downpipe,
this should guarantee no check engine light. There are several downpipes with only 1 cat that throw CEL's. Most will not throw the light if the stock catted
up pipe is in place. So the consensus is 2 high flow cats on the WRX will keep the ECM happy.

And I am probably going to buy the Greddy up pipe. Comes with new turbo studs and 2 new gaskets. Most do not come with gaskets. And most do not
have the EGT bung.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:27:12 pm »
Ok so Grant spurred me on to update my thread.

I sold my 07 SV650, cash is in the bank already and he's picking it up tomorrow. Pretty sad...

So !! Crying is over, time to do some buying.

17x8" Enkei RPF1's in Matte Bronze - DONE
Tactrix 2.0 - Sunny tune both STX legal/full tune TACTRIX IS HERE
Grimmspeed Uppipe - Coated - weld in egt bung -  Ordered
Grimmspeed ported/coated Exh Manifolds - Need to Install
Grimmspeed coated high flow crosspipe - Need to Install
Grimmspeed gaskets for install - Need to Install
2 high flow Magnaflow Cat's - p# 59959 - In the Garage, need to be installed
Get cats welded into DP, add 02 sensor fitting and wide band fitting for Sunny
Tokico D-spec struts/Coilovers ? - modify for more camber
Whiteline toe/camber adjustable rear lateral links
Whiteline toe lock kit
Whiteline diff bushings/TIC klunk killer
Schroth Quickfit harness

Ahh that should ease the pain...

Haven't placed the orders yet but the groundwork has been laid. Just have a firm up a couple
suppliers.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 08:27:32 pm »
Ok so to kill some time I dug through some more pics from the end of last season.
No parts have been ordered yet other than from Grimmspeed, HUGE thanks to the guys there,
always quick to answer my questions and emails, can't wait to get them in.

The DPT's with stripped center caps

In the Pits, late August - not enough front camber yet

And a couple from Nationals in Saskatoon - still not enough camber

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 08:38:54 pm »
I don't have any pictures from the final weekend of the season. Would have been a fun one to get some pics of.

I modified my struts to get me to -3.3* camber and it made a huge difference in how the car handled on the track.
Completely legal in ESP and my new class STX.

I will run no less that -3.3* next year, possibly -3.5*. I thought the car was ok at -2.6* but Grant was right
(as with most things Autox) the car comes alive with a ton of camber.

I'm very excited to get the Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links installed. As you all know I do my own alignments at work.
Usually once a week during Autox season. Rear camber was set by adjusting as far positive as possible and then dialing out
the limiting side and ending up around -1.5 to -1.6.

I HATED adjusting rear camber with this method. Now I can hit exact #'s side to side and adjust very quickly.
There could be a whole bunch more Whiteline on the car too, we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:00 pm »
Nose Dive, heavy braking, NO ALK allowed in any decent class in Autox

Word of the day "KCA375".

14.8 SUSPENSION
B. Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any
materials (except metal) as long as they fit in the original
location. Offset bushings may be used. In a replacement
bushing the amount of metal relative to the amount of nonmetallic
material may not be increased. ...

BTW, if you end up doing ordering/doing them.  I'd come down to Calgary to install a set at the same time! :D

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 10:05:07 pm »

14.8 SUSPENSION

BTW, if you end up doing ordering/doing them. I'd come down to Calgary to install a set at the same time! :D

Yes those are on the list already...
From Whiteline...
"This kit is designed to add +/- .5 degree static camber to both front wheels. The special low compliance bushings reduce caster wind-back and maintain tighter tolerances between static and dynamic alignment settings. The additional caster coupled with the firmer bushings serve to dramatically sharpen initial turn-in response, then forcing more consistent alignment angles through the corner due to the reduced bushing compliance."

I have to do a little more reading about bushing orientation for AL benefits, seems some people are mentioning installation to push the
rear of the LCA down.

A little concerned about this though...

"One local auto-x'er measured the bump steer on his STi after the bushing install, and it was greatly increased. He ended up removing the bushing. I'm not sure if he installed it out or down, however."

Can we do STI control arms ? Or 06/07 control arms...they are on the same line.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 10:26:45 pm »

14.8 SUSPENSION

BTW, if you end up doing ordering/doing them. I'd come down to Calgary to install a set at the same time! :D

Ok some more late night reading,

http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect%20of%20WL%20ALK_b.pdf

Since I have not considered the ALK's due to classing I did not fully understand them, they are an
ANTI-anti lift kit.

From the above article...
100% of anti-dive or anti-lift would give no deflections of the suspension (from the static
ride height) during braking and accelerating. It does this by passing the extra load during
accelerations through the suspension components instead of the spring. Similarly 0%
anti-dive would pass the entire load through the spring giving maximum deflections...

In the case of the Subaru WRX fitted with the ALK, the suspension system becomes
softer during braking and accelerating actions, as both anti-dive and anti-lift have been
reduced. A softer suspension will give rise to larger deflections...

A softer front suspension during acceleration and braking will even out the load on the
front tires, giving a higher total cornering load available or more front-end grip. This will
lead to less understeer when cornering under power or brakes.

A Whiteline ALK equipped Wrx would "deflect" 18mm more than a stock wrx. So the numbers aren't huge.

So if we install the offset bushing to push the rear of the LCA down 7mm (maximum of this KCA375 kit) vs
the 20mm of the ALK we will get SOME of the ALK characteristics along with the benefits of a stiffer mount.

Some recommend pointing the bushing "down and out" to give some caster (which they feel is of more benefit than ALK)
and some ALK characteristics.

Hmm maybe a note to Whiteline is in order...I have all winter.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:45 am »
Can we do STI control arms ? Or 06/07 control arms...they are on the same line.

In the rules for camber you can *either* have tophat + camber bolts, or adjustable links.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 09:13:06 am »
STI front control arms don't add camber for us do they ? I thought just caster.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 09:14:40 am »
STI front control arms don't add camber for us do they ? I thought just caster.

It's still a *different* control arm.

Offline Wally

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 03 Cavalier
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 10:44:25 am »
I don't have any pictures from the final weekend of the season. Would have been a fun one to get some pics of.

I modified my struts to get me to -3.3* camber and it made a huge difference in how the car handled on the track.
Completely legal in ESP and my new class STX.

I will run no less that -3.3* next year, possibly -3.5*. I thought the car was ok at -2.6* but Grant was right
(as with most things Autox) the car comes alive with a ton of camber.

I'm very excited to get the Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links installed. As you all know I do my own alignments at work.
Usually once a week during Autox season. Rear camber was set by adjusting as far positive as possible and then dialing out
the limiting side and ending up around -1.5 to -1.6.

I HATED adjusting rear camber with this method. Now I can hit exact #'s side to side and adjust very quickly.
There could be a whole bunch more Whiteline on the car too, we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Were you using camber bolts to adjust rear camber?

I've been runing -3.25Deg of fr. camber and I did notice that braking on everyday driving wasn't as sure-footed as before (-1.2Deg). And since I commute to work in my car, the camber wear was really noticeable since I didn't race on my streets. But going from little camber to a good amount made a world of difference with the car. I'd say it makes a bigger difference than sways.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:41 am »
I had rear camber bolts in the rear for a while at the beginning of the season. Actually I had camber bolts in the front too until mid season when I got the KCA335 strut mounts. I played with -.5*, -1.0*, -1.2* and finally -1.5* in the rear.

It felt loose in the back especially braking from high speed into a slalom (Penhold) with all settings except -1.5*. And I HATED
adjusted rear camber with those bolts, so once I knew -1.5* was good and after doing some reading
finding out that most cars with similar ride heights ended up with -1.5 to -1.6* camber I decided to
pull them out, I ended up being about -1.55* with stock bolts, no slipping and favorable handling.

I ran that until late september, the guys at nationals were running -3.5* so I modified the struts for the final event
and it was amazing. Grant can probably tell you I was a lot faster that final weekend than I had been the week before
at nationals. And that was the only setup change. We had a fairly generous slalom (24 pace I think) that was only 3-4 cones long, the entrance was about 60kmh and I was able to accelerate full throttle all the way through it and the car just turned, no excitement at all. Combine that with finally downshifting to 1st somewhat properly and being able to handle the power coming out and it was the best weekend I've ever driven.

I would adjust cross camber by taking up the play between the bolts and the knuckle.
I hate the factory toe adjusters too, they are somewhat "vague" when working on the alignment
rack. The new lateral links will give me more precision in adjustment with the benefit of poly bushings as well.

I had 245's on the 9" wheel and didn't notice any braking issues with -3.3*. Or I didn't notice, I was having too much
fun that weekend. I couldnt do anything wrong.

Offline Wally

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 03 Cavalier
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 05:04:32 pm »
It's interesting how you're liking the -1.5Deg rear camber, as that seems to be too much for the WRX. From my experience, a loose subie is a fast subie.

I tried my setup at -2.0Deg rear and I really loved it, especially since I'm a bit too aggressive with throttle. It felt very confident in quick transitions and long steady-states I was able to really lean into it. But after talking with zuffy, he convinced me that I'd ultimately be faster with a looser setup.

I then tried out -1.0Deg rear, but it was a bit too loose even with minimal slip angle. The timing and boost of the car were fairly aggressive so the torque does come on pretty hard.

Next I tried -1.4Deg rear, it was a decent comprimise, not as confidence-invoking as -2. But I basically got lazy and lost interest.

I think I only got out 3-4times this year so I haven't had a chance to really get used to my setup. The additions this year were coils and R's, plus power goodies. I started messing around with my tune for the last event I went to, pulled timing and went for MORE boost, but the car became a bit difficult to drive during off-boost-to-on-boost situations.