Author Topic: Jason R Morrow's 02WRX...No wing, More Group N, back to Stock Brakes  (Read 29089 times)

JasonrMorrow

Re: Jason R Morrow's Bugeye Sedan..."The 2nd Autox thread"
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »
Once the rear is locked down a little better with bushings and better arms I may play with a few tenths less
in the back. When I can "feel" what the back is doing I might have the confidence to drive it loose.

Are you sure there is going to be a big difference between -1.4 and -1.5 ?

Again its where the back happened to fall without the bolts, so I sort of learned to drive it that way.
I'm not opposed to a few small changes but Id like to keep the car as consistent as possible all season.

Offline Wally

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 03 Cavalier
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 11:28:39 pm »
Oops, I meant for an STI setup. From what zuffy was saying, he was trying to get his WRX down to about -0.5Deg rear camber to help rotate the car. I think -1.5Deg is even too much for the STI, but I've been using it to keep the tail settled from power. With the lack of diffs and power from the 2.0L wrx, the looseness of less camber will help with rotating the car and carrying the speed. I'm not sure what Grant is running on his current setup.

I've personally found I've been able to feel the rear camber out when driving on steady state curves that load up the rear tires. With something like an offramp, i can go on power and feel how the car rotates when you're holding the same slip angle. It was really noticeable with 0.5degree changes, I haven't tried it with smaller increments.

I think you should give less rear camber a try and see how that feels prior to next season, you'll probably be surprised at how lively your car will feel on power and how easy it rotates.

Rear camber shouldn't be a huge factor in braking stability going into slaloms, I think the line going into a slalom should be parallel to it. So when you check speed, it should feel like straight line braking. I've found that if I brake into a slalom with too much slip angle, I'll overload my leading tire and end up out of sync.

For autoxing the subies, I've found camber to play a really large factor. I'm sure you felt a world of difference going to -3deg. The only braking issues I've had are at highspeeds and there are traction issues at the drag strip.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 08:54:50 am »
I'm not sure what Grant is running on his current setup.

Zuffy's setup.  ;)

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 12:21:26 pm »
Received a nice box today...pictures later

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 06:09:39 pm »
Well what have we here...big thanks to the boys at Grimmspeed, now where is Sunny ?

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2009, 06:53:00 pm »

And a couple from Nationals in Saskatoon - still not enough camber

Pics no worky, but here's some from my shots of you @ SSIS/Nats:

All my pics from SSIS are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grant_subaru/sets/72157622294725248/

All my pics of you auto-xing are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grant_subaru/sets/72157622764632671/

(As usual they're licensed "creative commons attribution" so you can use/edit/remix/edit/print/sell/profit from them, as long as you give me credit for taking 'em. ;))

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 07:00:45 pm »
Oooooh my own set on Grant's flickr. I feel so special. Thanks though Grant,
it will help me stay responsible and give you PROPER credit for photos instead of just
"Thanks for taking these Grant"

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 11:32:10 pm »
Ugh, I hate you Jason.. I want those PnP pipes!
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2009, 01:55:25 pm »
Ugh, I hate you Jason.. I want those PnP pipes!

I'm pretty damn excited to have them in my hands too. Lets just say some good results last year have opened up
some very exciting opportunities for myself and the car.

Stay tuned...possibly some more news in the next week or so. Have to sort some things out.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »
Pretty slow at work these days, other than the curb damaged cars getting me some much needed work.

So I've been doing lots of reading, the Whiteline site is great, lots of tech articles.
Here is a good comparison of hp vs handling.

For reference 45kw is 60hp and 20kw is 26hp. Suspension wins...which is promising since I'll be moving from a high hp/decent
suspension setup for last years ESP to a lower hp but much better suspension for STX next season.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/Project/P-REX-3/P_vs_V_summary.pdf

The Group 4 coilovers were expensive, I didn't realize they originally priced out well over $3000. They were
quite low spring rates and were made by AST. Unfortunately they are unavailable new these days as Whiteline
stopped making them. Their sister brand Nolathane does make some coilovers although I don't know too much about them...
yet. They were regarded as perhaps the best DD coilover setup and were very well made (obviously AST/Whiteline).

Offline Sherminator

• Patchy Faced
  • Tuscany NW Calgary
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 08:15:41 am »
Have you looked into KW suspension?

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 08:52:40 am »
Yep, the KW's are a progressive rate in the back and valved quite soft for track use.
The RCE Tarmac 2 is built by KW to RCE's specs, linear rates and a tweak to rear valving.

For the few hundred extra the RCE is a better buy. I still haven't made a decision yet, depends on
a few other things...

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 10:25:39 am »
Definitely expensive but the TIC custom AST coilovers are beauties as well.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 10:52:18 am »
Definitely expensive but the TIC custom AST coilovers are beauties as well.

Yep those are at the very top of the list, just waiting on pricing and availability. All three, KW, RCE and TIC are within $300
and I have all winter to save. TIC offers a lower spring rate as well, I'd go as soft as possible, we don't have the grip
levels at our lots, especially on street tires to run a higher rate.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 09:07:44 pm »
Finally got a video up from Nationals, or the Super Slalom in Saskatoon.

Took a while to finally get enough time to convert from .TOD then edit then upload etc.

Go you youtube to watch it though, the widescreen looks better since it was shot in 780P,
but for some reason it didn't upload in HD...oh well looks good enough for me.

Notice I finally learned to SHUFFLE STEER. I used to be too lazy haha. I was top 15 pax after the first day,
I don't think this is the fastest run but it is the best sound, too much wind noise in all the other videos.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 09:48:56 pm »
Boy that was a fun course....  :)

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 09:12:39 pm »
So after reading, checking funds, consulting with the CFO of the household... I still haven't decided on a
coilover system.

I know Jason at Dales now carries RCE, but the Tarmac Zeros are expensive and still require plates front and rear.
This puts them around $2400 with front plates (probably Whiteline) or more if I go with pillowball rear mounts. Don't know that
I want to run coilovers on a stock rear strut mount but that may be the case.

He does have a set of KW V1's I believe on sale for $1700. Also needs plates. So at least $2000. Rear rate is progressive
and these typically aren't viewed as a serious Autox contender. I haven't found info on swapping the rear to a linear rate but
I don't think these are a great option.

The TIC SST's and RCE Tarmac 2's are way out of my league, with this car at least. Maybe not if I had my idea of the perfect STI in the garage...

I was almost dead set on the Tokico D-spec and Ground Control Coilover sleeve system with Whiteline Max C Motorsports plates,
which are the only plates that work with the Tokicos. But after adding it all up its not as cheap as I thought...
$1400 at best with a good local deal on someones un-used D specs and good price on the plates.

Ground control also makes a Full Coilover with a Single Adjustable 8610 Koni gas charged insert. They are a shorter body than the
gut a strut (hydraulic only, not gas charged), offer ample stroke at stock ride height or 0.5" lower that I plan to run and have additional camber built into the clevis. This system with front plates is $1900 USD retail, I'm still hunting for a lower price.

Or there is the Wagon front gut a strut with koni inserts and sedan rear gut a strut with koni inserts and the GC sleeve system and
Whiteline plates. This would be similar to the Full system but I should save about $500-600 by using stock housings vs the
GC housings ($150 each). I would also need the D-rex bump extenders...

The koni 8610 vs Tokico D spec debate is pretty even. There is almost no difference in times between the two on a well setup car.
The Tokico will take some custom work to get the sleeves to fit snug and quiet, and probably a few hours of my own labor to
prep them and assemble.

I think resale on the Ground Control full coilover will be better since the next user can change spring rates/lengths as needed and also buy new inserts, SA-8610's or full Double Adjustable 8611's, and essentially rebuild the coilover themselves. If threads get damaged a new sleeve is under $50 from Ground control and I think they are a better quality system.
I think I would prefer the Whiteline plates though since they allow for more caster than the Ground Control plates. The GC plates
mount above the strut tower so they provide additional stroke which isn't really needed except on the STI stock struts.

Going with WL plates will probably be almost $100 cheaper for me as well.

Decisions decisions... anyone care to comment ?

Offline omac

• Stubbly Faced
    • Car Domain
  • Ride: bronco, 86, neon, crf, ram, sonata, frs
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:00 am »
Nice write up Jason.  For your sake I hope you get all this work done and everything tuned and adjusted.  For my sake, I hope you don't. :'(

p.s. I may come visit for an alignment and possibly a corner balance this spring. 

Keep up the great work.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 11:20:24 am »
If I had to do it again I'd be going the Zzyzx route. 

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/

They've custom coilovers that are built around Koni Single or double adjustable dampers.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 11:46:49 am »
If I had to do it again I'd be going the Zzyzx route. 

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/

They've custom coilovers that are built around Koni Single or double adjustable dampers.

ZZYZX is no more he has stopped making coilovers for now o... the Ground Control Complete setup which is available with the 8611's is essentially the same thing as the zzyzx was. Add another $600 to that $1900 complete kit to get the 8611's from Ground Control. The GC setup was $1500 less than ZZYZX for the same product. At least thats what I've read. Stretch on the IWSTI forums posted that info, he knows his stuff.

Here is his info on the GC Coilovers...http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/85406-ground-control-koni-coilovers-incuding-2005-stis.html

They used off the shelf 8611's that appear to be the exact same as what are available from Ground Control.

The 8610 Koni gut-a-strut inserts are not gas charged, the 8610's that come with the GC housings (full coilover) are gas charged though, not that it means much to me yet, I haven't researched the koni's that deep since I haven't considered them over the d specs.

I think the d-specs/GC sleeves/WL plates is still a very good setup. The difference with the GC setup is
custom housings cost $150 each, the price of the koni's vs tokico's is pretty close. So since my driving will still be the limiting factor there is no way I can "out drive" a setup I'm leaning on the d specs again.
It would be nice not to have to take the time to assemble them but in the end $600 vs 2 hrs of time is an easy decision.

I do have someone looking into RCE for me but I doubt there is much margin on them and the price tag
will be too high.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 11:54:15 am »
Nice write up Jason.  For your sake I hope you get all this work done and everything tuned and adjusted.  For my sake, I hope you don't. :'(

p.s. I may come visit for an alignment and possibly a corner balance this spring. 

Keep up the great work.

I got the go ahead to order scales, just deciding what accessories to go with it. Pricing will be $150,
so corner balance and alignment will be $240. And will probably take 2.5-3 hrs.

I am sort of just getting all my research down so that its easy for me to find again. Its not really
an article, its a pretty good rambling actually and makes sense in my head right now...

I was hoping to get some discussion going but its a pretty specific setup that I'm looking for.Its not that I CAN'T buy something for $2400-2600 (I sold my motorcycle for $5300 to fund the car) but I have to be honest with my level of talent ! I don't need the absaloute best to be competitive. I'm still a rookie so there are many years (decades?) of seat time required to be able to extract the potential from a $2600+ coilover.

I think I keep answering all my own questions...writing this stuff down makes it sound pretty ridiculous to consider $2600 doesnt it.

Offline omac

• Stubbly Faced
    • Car Domain
  • Ride: bronco, 86, neon, crf, ram, sonata, frs
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 10:02:41 pm »
$2600 isn't that bad if it's a good setup.  That's just a lil more than kw clubsports are going to be for me.  And soooo much less than any rally coilovers on the market.  I paid just over $3k for my low end P.O.S Hotbits gravel coilovers and I hate them.  >:(

When the time comes, how do I book you at Country Hills or do you do all the alignments?

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 10:47:38 pm »
JUST SAVING SOME NOTES FOR MY FUTURE REFERENCE

With the Ground Control full kit you ca fully rebuild the coilover. If the Koni shocks leak they can be
pulled out and new ones pushed in. ($160 USD each), if the threads on the sleeve get screwed up you can buy a replacement for $15 USD. If you don't like the spring rates a new pair in whatever rate and length you want will be $60 USD.

So many options, tons of travel vs stock STI suspension, cheap rebuilds and should cost about the same as the used Ohlins/Blacks that you want.

The complete kit from Ground Control with Koni shocks minus their camber plates will cost around $1600 USD. Or you can do the complete coils on the front and wrx struts in the rear with koni inserts
and a different set of GC sleeves ($15)

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/85406-ground-control-koni-coilovers-incuding-2005-stis.html

An excerpt...

Stage 1: $400
- Get the Ground Control coil-over sleeves and springs
- For the stock dampers, 300/250# springs work great. Mark (@GC) will work with you based on your needs, though.
- Set the springs to stock ride height for best ride quality.

Stage 2: $650
- Install Ground Control camber plates up front
- Since the camber plates add suspension travel, lower the car half an inch. You will still have more bump travel than stock, making Stage 2 a significant improvement.
- Upgrade to off-the-shelf Koni's in the rear in WRX housings

Stage 3: $625
- Get Koni SA's from Ground Countrol
- Get Koni housings from Ground Control
- Lower the car much more thanks to the gobs of new suspension travel

To maintain stock height with an increase in spring rate requires a coilover, no spring available will do this.

With this sytem you get your choice of spring rates and lengths. That means you can run a tall enough spring near the bottom of the perch to limit the chance of coil bind, stay at or near stock height and increase spring rate. Coil bind is fairly common on coilovers and will kill struts.

The best thing would be to call Mark at GC and talk with him abot what you want. There are other guys that answer calls but Mark runs the show.

The best way to ride well and handle is by adding sway bars. The extra stiffness you get by adding a 24mm sway bar is equivalent to an additional 860lbs to your spring rate.

Keep in mind stock is 224 and a performance spring is around 285.

So stick with modest spring rates and run a 24mm front and rear bar and with the extra shock travel you will be off the bumpstops and the euro valving of the konis should keep the ride comfortable.

In my mind the fewer the adjustments on the car the better. Less on your mind that you can tweak(fewer excuses or mind games). The car will pretty much be "all new" for me in Autox with the amount of suspension changes I'm making this winter so eventually I will just learn to drive it again. Once the car is setup, with a decent amount of research and knowledge, then leave it and learn to drive it. At least thats the way I think. I do have the advantage of tweaking my alignment whenever I want. I have a rack and machine at work that I can use whenever I want. 95% of those alignments are just making sure everything is exactly the same as last event.

I don't think there are many of us here who have developed a driving style that can't improve or change. And I think there are fewer who can tune a shock/suspension properly. I have no idea how, I have read how, it seems tedious, seat of the pants is a pretty terrible gauge in my opinion and you would need some data acquisition and track time to set properly.

Here is some information I found with a quick search on Shock Tuning.

Before they even get into shock tuning, take a look at
the precautions. This is geared towards a road course but be honest with yourself and think if you would be able to accomplish
point #2. Specifically stating the handling issue with the car. Especially taking into account factor #4, and #6.

Sure the ultimate suspension is out there, but do we all have the potential to USE IT ? Not on the street, and no one here is driving on a race track full time with endorsement so I doubt it.

I know we are all enthusiasts, we all want to improve out cars, its a passion and a disease at the same time. Driving our
cars isn't paying the bills though...

Suspension Tuning Tips       by Bob Tunnell

Before getting into specifics of suspension tuning, here are some thoughts about suspension tuning drawn from my own experience...

1. When listening to advice, consider the source and the context. Many of the Internet special interest groups are a wonderful source of information. But one of the biggest drawbacks to all the advice you see on SIGs is that the authors are rarely qualified to offer SPECIFIC advice for YOUR car. It's easy to SOUND like an authority... it's rare to actually BE one. When reading their advice, pay particular attention to what make and model of car they own and drive, what modifications have they made that are truly applicable to your car, how experienced they are, what discipline are they tuning for (autocross, road race, street, track, etc.), and how closely their budget resembles yours.

2. Be specific in your analysis. If your car is pushing, pay particular attention to *when* it pushes. Is it on initial turn-in? Is it mid corner? Is it on corner exit? Or is it a combination of all three? For example, if a car pushes in mid corner, but not upon entry or exit, chances are the problem lies with alignment, spring, or bars... not the shocks. So it's critical to properly identify the symptom and isolate the true cause of the problem... the treatment needs to address the root cause.

3. Fix the end of the car that has the problem. If your car isn't turning in properly, don't adjust the rear of the car to try to make the front end work better. Conversely, if the car is extremely tail happy because of low rear grip, decreasing the front grip to compensate may make the car feel balanced, but it will ultimately make you slower. Often in Stock class autocrossing or road racing we're forced into adjusting the "wrong" end of the car because rules limit our ability to adjust properly, but these methods should be considered a last resort.

4. Don't discount driving technique as a big factor. Most drivers don't like to hear this, but it's true. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told by a driver, "My M3 pushes like a pig!" But when I get in the car it seems perfectly balanced to me. I'll ask the driver what his previous car was and invariably it was a Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, or other high horsepower RWD car. M3s were not built to handle the same as pony cars and they cannot be driven quickly with the same technique. Slow sweepers in particular need to be entered slowly, under control, and "carved"... not tail-out Dukes Of Hazard style. And the best part -- changing your driving technique doesn't cost you anything!

5. For the best results stick with one tuner. Professional high performance tuners know more than anyone else about how to make your car fast. We work on making cars faster and handle better day in and day out. We know which products perform best together and which ones don't. By mixing and matching products -- usually in an attempt to get the lowest price -- customers often end up with a car that doesn't respond like any of the advertising claims they've been reading. Put a pot pouri of components on your car and you'll likely end up with a mixed bag of results and wasting your money. Different tuners have their areas of expertise and their advice.... spend a little extra, discuss your needs and budget with a professional tuner, and you'll likely get far more value for your money.

6. "Compromise cars" will not do everything well. I am frequently asked how to set up a car that will be good on the track, but still plenty comfortable to drive on the street. Not everyone can afford to own enough cars to have one for a commuter, one for autocrossing, one for road racing, one for rallying, and another for concourse events. Most of us are forced to live with compromises... one, or maybe two, cars that have to perform a variety of functions. When asking a tuner for advice on how to set up your car, you must first determine in your own mind what compromises you'll be able to live with and be certain to communicate your needs. If winning autocrosses is more important than having a luxurious ride during your 5-minute commute, chances are you'll be happy having your car set up more for performance. But if you drive an hour to work over frost heaves and tar strips, you probably should set up your car more for comfort and leave the WRC Championship for another time. BMWs are amazing cars and can do a lot of things well, but don't expect a tuner to do the impossible.

Also some more good reading here...this car is now owned by a local Autox'er with the SASC club.
The original builder, Dennis Grant won SCCA nationals in the USA, he knows what he is talking about. He
was also a shock engineer at a race team at one point.

He doesn't have a lot of love for adjustable shocks, since on his shock dyno the adjustments do very little or work incorrectly.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Another option. RCE Tarmac Zero. Built by KW to RCE specs. INOX coating, will not rust. Warrantied for life, Ohlins has 1 yr warranty. Myles at RCE is soon flying to Germany to become a certified rebuilder. They are typically seeing 3-4 years between rebuilds on the T Zeros.

The ride hide adjustment of the coilovers is the easiest, results are black and white and measureable, and is only required once or twice if the suspension settles. The damping is the somewhat "black art" part, unless you have some fancy tools, requires much more time and attention to detail, as well as technical knowledge.

I will take ride height adjustment and correct valving over fixed height and adjustable dampers anytime.

Ohlins adjustment seems like a hassle to me. The adjuster is on the bottom of the strut, means laying on your back to adjust.

Tarmac 0 is fixed valving and you just adjust ride height. Spring rates can be 350/300 I believe. 400/340 is their stock rate.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/161982-attn-rce-could-you-give-comparison-your-t-zeroes-vs-ohlins-rce-springs.html

As for comfortable coilovers, correct spring rates, Euro type valving, correct ride height and ample travel will offer good ride.
You can't group all coilovers into one category and say they aren't comfortable. Japanese coilovers are stiff, valved very aggressively and work well on a smooth surface. It is a completely different strategy compared to the Euro builders.
Travel is a big issue with the Stock STI suspension since you are .75" off the bumpstops in the rear with stock springs. The Ohlins gives you 1" longer shock stroke but with a lowering spring you will still be on the bump stops.

The entire suspension has to be able to compensate for varying conditions track to track, varying grip levels etc.

The shocks can be used along with other adjustments to create the handlong you desire.

Here is a lotus forum with a Calgary autox'er verifying his findings. It shows his simple notes on how shock,sway bar or tire pressures can be adjusted to attain the same handling result.

This particular guy and his co driver are very quick...they race the Exige in ASP and went to Lincoln last year for the SCCA finals and the car is competitive enough to win the class. They coned away their chances though.

My point is they know car setup, but notice how many laps he did at race city to verify his notes and research. This is a luxury most of us don't have.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f99/tuning-dual-adjustable-shocks-75126/

Since the STI has only 1.75" of bump travel before it hits the bumpstop (at stock ride height) it is effectively more than doubling the
spring rate each time you move more than 1.75" into bump travel.

So mid corner, highway on ramp ,the outside suspension is fighting cornering force and compressing depending on load. Probably more than an inch already. Now add a small bump, the shock compresseses more and runs into the bumpstop, the bumpstop is progressive but gets stiff quickly, now you experience about 600lbs of effective spring rate and bounce upwards on an underdamped shock. The car gets unsettled and bounces up into the air, where there is lots of droop travel to accommodate the bounce. This is not an effective suspension.

A stiffer spring (at stock ride height) will keep the shock off the bumpstop, now hitting that bump mid turn compresses the assembly less (stiffer rate) and you only dealing with the spring rate. 285 lbs lets say.
Realistically though there isn't enough bump travel in the STI struts to make this happen, and by increasing the spring rate on the stock strut you are now underdamped causing extra work and heat and wearing the struts. So you are looking at replacing part or all of the system.

Don't be afraid of spring rates based on what your car has right now. With enough travel and proper valving a slightly firmer
spring rate will probably ride better.

A quality coilover will have proper travel, allowing the suspension to work, controlling the weight of the vehicle while maintaining
contact with the road. Picking the spring rate for your needs and having the ability to adjust valving to match the spring offers the chance at a good ride quality, predictability, consistency and good handling.

The GC setup gives you at least 3" of bump travel. Maybe more, depending on chosen ride height and using the GC camber plates.
Doubling travel is significant. I wish I had an STI and several different suspensions to put all this theory into practice.
No I haven't driven an STI with a good coilover or ohlins. I have driven an 04 STI on stock springs/shocks. An 07 STI on stock shocks with RSR Ti2000 springs, and an 09 STI with stock shocks and Whiteline flatout springs.

This involves learning concepts, theories and common setup, allowing the driver to determine their needs, choose (with the help of others) proper spring rates and lengths for a chosen ride height (also important). And work at adjusting the shock to match the spring once installed.

This is too much work for some people. Different people have different priorities, needs, and wants from their car and probably fewer priorities, needs, and wants when it comes to their spring and shock choice. Its not very glamorous. Its tedious, can be boring and technical reading isn't very fun.

If this isn't for you then move on. Discuss something that does interest you. The potential for something better does interest
some of us.

JasonrMorrow

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2010, 01:36:19 pm »
Found a nice chart on IWSTI

Don't know yet if it works !

Also updated first post...much simpler. Maybe giving away too much info ? haha

JasonrMorrow

Re: Jason R Morrow's Bugeye Sedan...Prepping for STX
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2010, 11:46:11 am »
Ok heres some cell phone pics from the seller. When they get here they will be disassembled, cleaned
and reassembled for some snazzy pictures.

I bought them without the Noltec plates, I'll be running Whiteline KCA251M's but I did take the Group N rear mounts.

My new Tarmac 2 coilovers...I hope they ship in record time, I want these in my hands.