Author Topic: How to replace your fuel level sensors (Example is MY05 WRX, applies to STI)  (Read 9041 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
I was having this fuel gauge issue for a while too.

I normally only use Husky 94, and I have consistently never gotten to a full reading on my fuel gauge. Normally only get to 3/4 tank when I fill it up and after a few minutes of driving around it might go up another 1/32 or 1/16th if I'm lucky.

I have tossed in 1 bottle of fuel injector cleaner, per tank, for 2 consecutive tanks, in conjunction with switching to Esso.

I actually got a full read on the fuel gauge and the light didn't even come on and I filled 50L!

I would strongly recommend before going to the dealership and picking up new sensors to at least try two tanks of fuel injector cleaner.

Not sure if it was the Esso fuel or the fuel injector cleaner that fixed the sensors.
Either way its fixed!!! O0

When I switch to shell for a tank or two, it'll fix the issue, but I had mine tuned for 94 a little bit back using OS, so i'm a little stuck on Husky.. But I know that if you change up the gas stations it'll sometimes act as a temp fix.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
I would strongly recommend before going to the dealership and picking up new sensors to at least try two tanks of fuel injector cleaner.

Not sure if it was the Esso fuel or the fuel injector cleaner that fixed the sensors.
Either way its fixed!!! O0

You're not the only one to try changing fuel:
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=12784.0

But that was only temporary for me, so I also tried cleaning them:
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=7778.0

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
~$135 all in.

Part numberPart DescriptionQuantityPriceTotal
85111AC012Fuel system, Fuel system components, Meter, Fuel level, Fuel level1$51.20$51.20
42081FE020Fuel system,Fuel system components, Level sensor, 2.0 liter, 2.0 liter1$57.38$57.38
Sub Total$108.58
Shipping$27.00
Total$135.58

Bump!  Updating this with 06 STI part #'s for my own shopping.

Part numberPart DescriptionQuantityPriceTotal
42081SA020METER UNIT AY FUEL SUB1$73.16$73.16
42081FE021 42081FE020LEVEL SENSOR  1$58.52$58.52
Sub Total$131.68
Shipping$TBA
Total$TBA

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
*UPDATE*

I can confirm that this is exactly the same for an '06 STI.  Other than the stupid box on the end of the fuel pump, and the salad bowl anti-slosh thing in the tank itself.

Go fix _your_ gas gauge. ;)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
*UPDATE*

I can confirm that this is exactly the same for an '06 STI.  Other than the stupid box on the end of the fuel pump, and the salad bowl anti-slosh thing in the tank itself.

Go fix _your_ gas gauge. ;)

Does it STAY fixed though?  I wondered if after doing all this work, the damn thing would fail again...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
Does it STAY fixed though?  I wondered if after doing all this work, the damn thing would fail again...

You're replacing like for like, the part is not visibly updated in any way. So I would expect it to work another 50k-130k before it starts reading wonky.  Depending on what gas you use and how often you fill up.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
Great write up Grant. The sending units on my 06 WRX have been wonky for a while, getting wonkier now so I'll be addressing it. I'd assume installation will be the same for my MY as well. Might do the pump while I'm in there. 3 years on my current pump which also seems to be well within "let's fail" range for the OEM pumps.

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
^^^If you follow these directions you'll be able to do the job and figure out the small differences between an STi and WRX-2.5RS.

Save yourself the trouble and replace both at the same time. 

To add to these instructions, buy some Dielectric grease for the two electrical connectors external to the tank to keep the water/salt/dirt out of that connection.  Both of mine failed not because what's happening in the tank, but a poor connection external to the tank. 

When I still had a factory warranty the dealer replaced just the main fuel level sender (fuel pump side) thinking this was causing the problem.  While it did make the fuel readings somewhat more accurate, it didn't fix the issue completely.  Fast forward about 2 years later same issue..

If you filled the tank, it would only register 3/4 to 7/8 of a tank initially, then slowly creep to full after about 20 mins of driving.  So, I decided to revisit the snag myself.  This time I de-pinned each connector (rear wiring harness side) and cleaned the each of the terminals (one by one with a small wire brush), applied some dielectric grease, and replaced both sensors.  2 years later, the fuel readings are still perfect.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
I'd assume installation will be the same for my MY as well.

Considering the negligible difference b/w the 05 WRX, 06 STi, 04 WRX's, and 01 2.5RS I've done this on I'm sure it'll be the same (ish).

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Considering the negligible difference b/w the 05 WRX, 06 STi, 04 WRX's, and 01 2.5RS I've done this on I'm sure it'll be the same (ish).

FINALLY decided I should get around to doing this, my pump seals are failing +/- filter cloggage, and my senders have been useless for a while. Walbro en route from Touge, and the senders from Chaplin's. Hope to be installing mid week next week.

Re: the temp sensor, so wiring is fastened via a screw from the factory, but you elected to solder?

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
Re: the temp sensor, so wiring is fastened via a screw from the factory, but you elected to solder?

Nope, the wiring is all soldered together stock, so that's why we unsoldered the temp sensor from the old assembly & soldered it to the bare wires on the new one.

(updated the pics in this to the biggest I can rather than the 640px wide ones it had)

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Thanks Grant. I'll have to buy an iron, I haven't soldered since grade 8 shop class :-\