Author Topic: KOUL Tools, AN fitting fixer  (Read 1515 times)

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
KOUL Tools, AN fitting fixer
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:02:05 pm »
not sure were to put this but I thought I should share this with everyone.

Recently I had my dry sump tank powder coated, I used someone a buddy recommended and was told he does good work. Well the coating looks great but he for some reason he did not cover the fittings. He did tell me that he forgot but to just use a razor blade to remove it, I was in a rush and didn't look at his attempt at cleaning the coating off one of the fittings. Well when I finally had time i seen the mess he had caused, the reason AN fittings done leak is because they are a machined fit so nothing gets pass.

I did a quick google search to see if there was a way to fix the fittings vs completely replacing them. I came across Koul tools, they make a great tool to use for pushloc type hoses and hose ends. They had just released a set of fitting fixers but only in sizes an3 to an8 for now and they stated an10 to an16 would come out later on. I sent them an email hoping they would have at least 1 of the an12 fixers laying around and.... luck had it they did. They were eager to help me out and asked for some pictures to see the damage. Once they seen the damage they wanted to help right away, they sent me the tool with instructions and the understanding I would take as many pictures to help them make a case study from it and in fact some of the pics are on the web page now.

https://koultools.com/product/fitting-fixer/

So the tool itself is very simple, it comes with 1 guide and 1 fitting fixer, the fitting fixer utilizes a diamond-dust bonded lapping material to repair the sealing surface on 37° fittings. You install the guide onto the fitting, install the fitting fixer onto a drill, add some lube and start at it.

here we see one of the fittings in question, you can see he used the blade to remove the coating plus damaging the aluminum fitting.

here we can see it almost fixed

fitting # 2

In the end very happy to have used this tool, I will be purchasing a set for later on. Hope this might be helpful to someone else

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
Re: KOUL Tools, AN fitting fixer
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:02:11 pm »
That's pretty awesome. I've used Koul tool's AN fitting tool a bunch of times before when I used to build lines at work. Makes the job super easy and their products are really well built too.

Did the tool come only as a single size? or did the offer a kit with multiple fitting sizes?

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:13:01 pm »
Yeah that an hose/fitting tool is amazing, building all the lines by hand was such a pain in the assay, now that I use the Koul tool its so much easier.

They just sent me one as it was a sample tool, you can buy sizes from -3 to -12 and maybe bigger in the future.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 09:03:50 pm »
Does the blue guide thread on?

Very cool.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:22:13 am »
Hey Grant,

Yes it does, that way you are able to keep the tool true to the surface and not make your own angles.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:49:07 pm »
If it works, it's probably more permanent than these AN washers (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3202) which I think are more of a temporary fix.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 10:25:58 am »
yea, I have seen rubber versions of those and kinda still wanted to buy some just incase.