Author Topic: Prez speaks to "WSC has changed"  (Read 9030 times)

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
Prez speaks to "WSC has changed"
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:22:22 pm »
We all keep seeing the phrase “WSC has changed” or some negative reiteration of that phrase. I thought it wise to speak to this topic directly.

I will begin by agreeing. WSC has changed. It’s always changing and there is nothing you, your dog, your dog’s uncle, or I can do about it. If it didn’t change, we’d all get bored of, sick of, and tired of each other. You are part of the change, I am part of the change, and even that stick-in-the-mud snackers is part of the change (regardless of him liking it or not).

This is where the agreeing stops. I really like the adage that “if you are not part of the solution you’re part of the problem”. I couldn’t agree more. Complaints of “WSC has changed” aren’t helpful. In fact, the negative connotations suggest that you are adding to the negative atmosphere you’ve described. Nothing will change if suggestions aren’t made, problems aren’t pointed out, and both public and private complaining continue. What I’m saying is – become part of the solution. Suggest improvements. Point out deficiencies. Make positive reinforcements.  Suggestions don’t even have to be public. That’s part of why we have admins/mods. Make a suggestion and we will review it.

Note that this is NOT directed at particular individuals, though I admit the timing is rather coincidental. This is directed towards negative feelings towards the forum and attempting to promote a more positive reinforcing/changing atmosphere. To date the only major suggestion we’ve had, and are still reviewing, is regarding Karma/smite. Other than that we’ve had no sound suggestions for positive change.  Our inboxes are always open!

rith

Re: Prez speaks to "WSC has changed"
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:48:26 pm »
I think part of the problem is that some people take the internet too seriously.  :P

Offline STI_Crazy

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2013 Cayenne
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:55:05 pm »
Complaints of “WSC has changed” aren’t helpful. In fact, the negative connotations suggest that you are adding to the negative atmosphere you’ve described.

My thoughts exactly!!

I agree 100% that the forum has changed and like you said Jer, it's just normal with the amount of new members joining us every day.
We went from a 200+ to 1000+ in less than a year and we are still trying to recruit more people each day.
We all do it whether we want to or not some times. Hense the Decals, the screams "Go to WSC.com and register" to the car next to us or just by talking to those around us.

This place will never be like NASIOC! There are too many people that care to let this happen.

Just be more active as members helps. Go to events, functions, meets, race days etc.
Meet other members and see how they really are IN PERSON!!!!!!

Then and only then, you'll understand how they think and why they say the things they say sometimes.
I would probably be offended with some comments that i've read in the past but simply because i've met the people who wrote those, i know they were joking. No freaking keyboard can describe an individual.

If you want to help others, GO FOR IT!!!
If you don't feel like it or expect something in return right away, then you are probably in the wrong forum.
Members here helps others because they really want to and they know one day, they might need something from the community. If not, that's great, they still did it and didn't complain.

If you want to be "paid" for your services, that's acceptable too. Perhaps get a vendor status and talk to the mods (i recall a few discussions about that  ::) ).

I've been here for a long time and i have seen many changes, mostly good and for the bad ones, the admins/mods were always open to ideas and suggestions. Believe it or not those guys/gals listen and act!!!

They've always been here and they've done a GREAT job but every once in a while, i feel they need our help.
Be there for them just like they are here for us.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:02:10 pm »
Well theres just no reason to reiterate what has been said so clearly/accurately already. 

I Approve of this broadcast, er, msg!

Offline Wronks

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:19:36 pm »
I totally agree with you Jer. WSC is dependant upon everyone making a collective decision to change in positive way. Change is a good thing. But change is something that can not please everyone, and sometimes individuals feel threatened by it. But for most, especially with an online discussion board, like WSC, it is a opportunity to stay on pace with current issues and keep up with the "times". Embrace WSC for the awesome community it is, and call out those who are being a negative force towards making changes for the better.

With that being said, Jer you now have a new inbox message.
It's just a suggestion about keeping the main page current and updated. Hope it helps.
Wronks - Have fun out there.

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:51:25 pm »
I have only gotten more involved lately, in the last year, since we opened, VEX.  and we have seen an amazing community, and honestly, one of the best car communities that we support!

the friends I have made from the forum have been great, the help and fun that everyone offers each other had been great to see and be a part of.

love the WSC and support it a lot!

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 01:57:04 pm »
I think the attitude has changes if anything. People would rather tell people to use the search rather than giving the solution. My knowledge in Cars is limited but if i can help a person out with what i know i don't mind typing the same thing 50 times. I think people need to be more understanding we get lots of new member and they are looking for help.

The other thing i have noticed is that people need to remember that they their online character can reflect there real life character. Example you can be the nicest guy in the world face to face but if my first impression of someone is coming from these forums and you are a dick on the forums it is my assumption that you are also a dick in real life and attending Meets and WIng night might not be the most interesting places if that is my first impression of you.

Personally i have had a lot of great experience. setting up group buys, meeting people from group buys, Snackers Helping me install my supertones (i still owe you a beer for this i haven't forgotten), and picking up parts from the group buys i have been involed in overal it has been great.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:00:05 pm »
The other thing i have noticed is that people need to remember that they their online character can reflect there real life character. Example you can be the nicest guy in the world face to face but if my first impression of someone is coming from these forums and you are a dick on the forums it is my assumption that you are also a dick in real life and attending Meets and WIng night might not be the most interesting places if that is my first impression of you.

I like this comment...I am who I am no matter which side of the keyboard you meet me on (whether that's good or bad I will let you all decide :) )

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:37:32 pm »
The other thing i have noticed is that people need to remember that they their online character can reflect there real life character. Example you can be the nicest guy in the world face to face but if my first impression of someone is coming from these forums and you are a dick on the forums it is my assumption that you are also a dick in real life and attending Meets and Wing night might not be the most interesting places if that is my first impression of you.

I know for a fact that there are people who wont attend a meet because they dont want to be put face to face with someone thats 'a dick' (as Prelude put it) on the forums.  Avoiding any kind of altercation that might ruin the night for other people, they wont attend meets.

This point of Preludes is very valid, but i suppose its up to both parties to try and 'get over it' in the spirit of keeping a healthy community.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 06:28:29 pm »
I generally try to stay understated and un-opinonated on the forum,  as most of you know,  that isn't the real me. ::) I worry that my sense of humour and sarcasm are not conveyed correctly.  A miscommunication can start innocently enough.  If you feel offended by a persons actions,  remember that it could just have been a miscommunication on either part.............then poke them in the eye at wing night. :P

Offline Wronks

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 06:38:57 pm »
I generally try to stay understated and un-opinonated on the forum,  as most of you know,  that isn't the real me. ::) I worry that my sense of humour and sarcasm are not conveyed correctly.  A miscommunication can start innocently enough.  If you feel offended by a persons actions,  remember that it could just have been a miscommunication on either part.............then poke them in the eye at wing night. :P

You make a very good point. a lot of times when someone is being sarcastic, or trying to be funny, it just doesn't seem that way when you look at the computer screen. A computer screen cannot show tone in voice, or facial expressions, etc. that show hints of sarcasm. Therefore sometimes statements become miscommunicated. Often times, that is the trouble; trying to depict what "exactly" is meant by someones statement/point/rant online.
Wronks - Have fun out there.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:43 am »
I generally try to stay understated and un-opinonated on the forum,  as most of you know,  that isn't the real me. ::) I worry that my sense of humour and sarcasm are not conveyed correctly.  A miscommunication can start innocently enough.  If you feel offended by a persons actions,  remember that it could just have been a miscommunication on either part.............then poke them in the eye at wing night. :P

You make a very good point. a lot of times when someone is being sarcastic, or trying to be funny, it just doesn't seem that way when you look at the computer screen. A computer screen cannot show tone in voice, or facial expressions, etc. that show hints of sarcasm. Therefore sometimes statements become miscommunicated. Often times, that is the trouble; trying to depict what "exactly" is meant by someones statement/point/rant online.

Which is why we should all agree on a Sarcasm font/colour.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:46 am »

I vote Blue Italics!

Sean

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 09:36:52 am »
Or people can stop taking everything they read so seriously, and consider that what they read *may not* always be what was written. If the writer is joking, it's the reader's fault partially for taking it wrong, and fully for acting on assumption. Why not PM the poster and clear it up?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:39:34 am »

I vote Blue Italics!

Jeez. Its always Blue with you guys... :)

Or people can stop taking everything they read so seriously, and consider that what they read *may not* always be what was written. If the writer is joking, it's the reader's fault partially for taking it wrong, and fully for acting on assumption. Why not PM the poster and clear it up?
Everyone is responsible for what they write. People should read what they've written before posting and make sure that they actually mean what they're saying.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Sean

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:41:41 am »
I agree, but should you not consider error in your interpretation before overreacting?

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 11:38:22 am »
I agree, but should you not consider error in your interpretation before overreacting?

Obviously. Because then when you overreact, you post... and you need to consider what you're writing then. Im just saying that the majority of the responsibility rests with the writer.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 11:38:50 am »
I vote Blue Italics!

Its better than Yellow, Or Pink. Red might not be too bad!

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:44:28 am »
I vote Blue Italics!

You're hurting my eyes.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 11:49:32 am »
I vote Blue Italics!

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a sarcasm emoticon, like the BlackBerry does? It works well for me while BB messaging.

Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 11:54:04 am »
find me a sarcasm emote and it can be added ;)

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 11:57:09 am »
See above post (Ninja edit FTW)
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 01:13:43 pm »
I really prefer the sarcastic emoticons. They are quick and easy. The easier it is to use, the more it will get used.

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 07:42:33 am »
Well, I feel we have listened (and will continue to listen)

a. updating the mainpage - we have a volunteer "blogger" to keep the updates coming
b. karma - we've changed this to something much more "feedback" related. Even if it is borked still :)
c. emotes - we've added a few. most notably the sarcasm icon which can be invoked with : sarcasm: (without the space) or clicking on the :sarcasm: icon
d. WSC logo is now a clickable link to the mainpage!

Keep the suggestions coming!

Offline soulvaccination

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '09 stg 2 non-flared fail-wagon
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 07:56:38 am »
Nice job on the emoticons. 

The sarcasm one is easy to figure out.  Now where to use the rest of them... ???
"Throttle fixes everything.  Left-foot braking fixes everything the throttle doesn't fix, including impotence and poor self-esteem.  Banging off a rev limiter while looking out a car's side window and slamming into a steering stop will cure cancer."

-Sam Smith (Jalopnik writer)