Author Topic: Artist not allowed to stream his own music  (Read 1779 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Artist not allowed to stream his own music
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:06:19 am »
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/10/07/1517239/Artist-Not-Allowed-To-Stream-His-Own-Music?from=rss

"Scottish artist Edwyn Collins wanted to stream one of his own songs on MySpace, but it seems that copyright misunderstandings make him unable to do so. According to the article, 'Management for the former Orange Juice frontman have been unable to convince the website that they own the rights to A Girl Like You, despite the fact that they, er, do.' Collins said, 'I found a nice lawyer guy at Warners, very apologetic, promised to get it sorted, but all these months later it isn't.' His wife added, 'MySpace are not equipped to deal with the notion that anyone other than a major [label] can claim a copyright.'"

CN: Artist tries to upload a song onto myspace, myspace comes back with "cant, it's copywrited". Artist owns the song (and allows listeners to d/l it for free). Tries to find out who "owns" it. Warners "owns" it, and promises to get it sorted out but never does. Artist still can't upload his own song, that he owns, to myspace.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.