Author Topic: Espresso Lovers  (Read 14234 times)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
Re: Espresso Lovers
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2012, 08:35:53 pm »
Hm, someone bumped this.

I've been on this kick for probably a year now.

Probably the best I've had.

Offline jsn

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STi
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2012, 08:50:11 pm »
As much as I wanted a nice espresso machine, I couldn't justify spending $1500 on one.  I currently have a gaggia Carezza espresso machine and a baratza virtuoso grinder at home.  They do the job.   :)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
Espresso Lovers
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:18 pm »
Hm, someone bumped this.

I've been on this kick for probably a year now.

Probably the best I've had.

Transcend is godly.

And yes, I bumped it.  My machine was pissed at me and needed love.  No transcend in Calgary but I still manage to get their beans as often as possible

I spent about 1800$ on my setup.  It's 3 years old and has probably paid for itself 2-3 times now, by me avoiding Starbucks and what not

Edit- Starbucks blows. It was more of a price per cup example

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 09:23:23 am »
recently picked up a couple bags  ;)  of transcends championship espresso beans. 

really not much to say about it.  best coffee I have ever had.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 09:39:38 am »
really not much to say about it.  best coffee I have ever had.

Thanks for the bag! Still haven't opened it up... I wonder how it will taste brewed in our drip machine.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

stefan

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 09:35:03 am »
Feast your eyes on this beast: http://www.scanomat.com/coffee-brewers/venezia-iii

Only 8,000 euro.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 02:03:43 pm »

i want this.  E61 group, dual gauge 1.6L boiler... but if i was to upgrade since i already have an HX machine, it would be something more like this

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 06:48:08 pm »
Where are you guys ordering your transcend from?

Time for me to try something different.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 03:34:34 pm »
Likely by walking into the store..
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 03:55:10 pm »
Where are you guys ordering your transcend from?
Likely by walking into the store..
This is what I do, but for those not lucky enough to live in the metropolis of etownistan...

http://transcendcoffee.com/
Free shipping over 25 bucks.

Offline Tricky [RCAF]

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: WRX swap Impreza coupe For Sale, 06 WRX wagon
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »
If you're really crazy about coffee you should check out the place on 111 st and 85th Ave in Edmonton. They have c-r-a-z-y machines.

That store is called Leva, my friend Sarah works in the back espresso machine shop, super cool machines in there. I have a bit of saving to do before I can step up to the plate however.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2012, 05:25:58 pm »
This is what I do, but for those not lucky enough to live in the metropolis of etownistan...

http://transcendcoffee.com/
Free shipping over 25 bucks.

Excellent. Order placed.

Thanks. Also waiting for my new Burr Grinder to show up.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline ScoobyDoo911

• Patchy Faced
  • Eat Sleep Boost!
  • Ride: 2011 Subaru WRX STI OBP Stage 2.
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2012, 08:24:16 am »

Here you go, now prepare for distracted driving tickets..officer i wasnt on my phone.. i was making a coffee thats really hot while driving! Safety first!  :o
A Turbo: "Exhaust gases go into the Turbocharger and spin it. Witchcraft Happens and you go FASTER"-Jeremy Clarkson.

stefan

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »
Interesting. I'll give this Transcend a try on your recommendations. How does it fare in a stovetop unit?

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2012, 12:56:28 pm »
I can't say. I only use it for espresso.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2012, 07:49:57 am »
Excellent. Order placed.

Thanks. Also waiting for my new Burr Grinder to show up.

updates? 

ps.  We should be ordering together for beans from Transcend.  Im sick of having to go pick their beans up  :P

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 10:26:57 am »
It was really nice, but to be honest, I found myself preferring the Phil & Sebastian blend from Guatemala that we had before so we've gone back to them.

We've been planning on going to one of their tasting classes, but just haven't found the time yet.

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:13 am »
i don't have a picture right now, but we have this guy in our kitchen:

http://www.miele.ca/miele/canada/coffee_cva4062ss.asp?gID=1

as for beans i like the "fernie lizard range roast" from cuppers coffee.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:05 pm »
Nice.. your parents must be coffee afficionados hey?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2005 Legacy GT, 2010 GTI, 1996 911 Turbo
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »
^they're not. i could explain to you as to why we have it, but it really has nothing to do with coffee at all. point is, I have really gotten into coffee lately as a result of having the machine available to me.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2013, 12:02:04 am »
Okay. Shameless plug. I love coffee. My wife works at a really great cafe, The Bench Artisan Market in Penticton. She seriously makes the best breve Macchiato in the Okanagan valley. I don't mean the over sweet caramel macchatito Starbucks sells, but an honest to goodness double shot of espresso with the perfect crema and a dollop of the best foam you've ever had. I order that drink wherever I go as a benchmark and I've never had anything as good. The Bench brews Backyard Beans (from Summerland, their beans are great) and I highly recommend stopping by if you are in the neighbourhood.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2013, 11:07:12 am »
For anyone in Calgary, one of my favourite roasters is Phil & Sebastian. My wife and I took a Home Brewing class with them yesterday evening and I really really enjoyed it.

We showed up at 6pm and were greeted by two energetic guys who were going to teach us the science of brewing coffee. Jeremy Ho was the 2012 Canadian Barista Champion and is heading down to the World Barista Championship in Melbourne in a few weeks. You can tell he's passionate to the point of being obsessive about his coffee and, to be honest, its a bit infectious. Its easy to get him started on the real science behind brewing the perfect cup and he talks about Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), Particle Size Distributions of the perfect grind, etc. Jocko (sp?) is the manager at the Marda Loop location of P&S and is equally as passionate about coffee. He had no problem answering any questions the small group of 8 put forward and often it seemed like he had so much information that he had to restrain himself so he didn't overwhelm the group. It's immediately obvious these guys love what they do and love to teach others about it.

The class covers Home Brewing Methods so we went through using a French Press, a Pour-Over method (eg. Chemex), and the Aeropress coffee maker. There are other classes that cover Espresso and Espresso Art, but I think that this is a good beginners class to take and the others can build on that knowledge.

Fun fact: Did you know that the company that makes the Aerobie (frisbee) is the same company that makes the Aeropress coffee maker?

The class lasts for two hours and they really encourage questions throughout, of which we had plenty. They begin by picking one of the methods to go in depth on and, keeping the majority of the variables the same (brewing time, water temperature, amount of coffee, coffee:water ratio) they illustrate how little changes can have a big impact. For us, they showed us how grinding size impacts the coffee. With everything else the same, they had us try an underground coffee, an overground coffee and then one just right. The difference was astounding. The underground coffee didn't provide enough surface area for the grounds to contact the water so it was underbrewed, tasting weak. The overground coffee was very bitter and overpowering, providing too much surface area and, low and behold, the perfect grind was, well, relatively perfect. They explain that each person's tastes and preferences will require them to dial it in to exactly what they like each morning (or afternoon, evening or night) but they're good about explaining the process.

After going through the one method in detail, they go through the others and explain the differences and how to adjust to each method and why. Then they throw open the floor to questions and offer to have us try out the methods ourselves and they would coach us. To be honest, our group had too many questions and we ran out of time before we could try the methods ourselves, but I've tried both french press and pour-over so I didn't feel like I lost out on anything and came away with a wealth of information that I will try to bring home and incorporate into my morning routine.

The big items I learned:
- use a scale. always. weigh your coffee. weigh your water. that's the only way you'll get consistency and be able to adjust to get a better cup.
- the ideal water to coffee ratio is 17:1. doesn't matter what the type of coffee is or how dark the roast, you can adjust the ratio slightly but you're not going to go that far out of 16:1 or 17.5:1.
- don't use Calgary's water. the TDS are too high (~200ppm) and that causes buffering of the coffee and the acidity wont develop properly. dont use bottled water either. there's generally not enough TDS to buffer as much as it needs so it can turn too acidic. the ideal ppm is ~70. they achieve this by mixing reverse osmosis water with tap water, but at home, you can just use a brita filter as that will get you close enough.
- brew time for a french press is 4 minutes and is controlled by you (push down when your timer expires)
- brew time for a pour-over is 2.5 minutes and is controlled by the filter size and the grind. The finer the grind, the longer the water takes to drip through. experimentation is needed to find the desired grind.
- while your coffee is brewing in a french press, do not disturb the crust that forms at the top. this keeps the heat in and allows for a better brew. when your timer goes off, give it a quick, gentle stir and then press down and pour into a separate container to stop the brewing process.
- do not cover your french press with the lid while it is brewing. when coffee is roasted, carbon dioxide is introduced to the bean and does not fully escape when the beans are ground. if you cover the brewing coffee, you limit the amount of carbon dioxide that can escape and this can increase the bitter taste (carbon dioxide tastes bitter in liquid) to the coffee.
- if you're using a paper filter (for the pour-over or aeropress methods), make sure to thoroughly rinse the paper in hot water before use. if you skip this step, the paper filter can impart a papery taste to the coffee.
- water temperature is important. Calgary's boiling point is about 205*F due to our altitude so its actually relatively perfect for brewing coffee. if you're at sea level, after the kettle has finished boiling, wait about 30 seconds for the water to cool to the correct temperature. if you're in Calgary, wait about 10-15 seconds and you're good to go.
- cold brewing coffee is only to be used when you're making an iced coffee. this is because the process of brewing hot coffee and then allowing it to cool causes a loss of aromatics and the coffee loses flavour. you can get around this by flash cooling the coffee very quickly and that is what P&S use because they believe that hot brewing gives better flavour.
- the best way to taste your coffee is to use a spoon and slurp it off quickly. this imparts the maximum amount of aromatics to your taste buds all over your tongue and allows the vapours to reach your nose.

Phew. That was a long list. I am sure there is much much more and, as I remember it, I'll try to update the list. If you're interested in taking the class, and, if you're into coffee I highly recommend it, you can find the link here. Classes cost $45 per person for the Home Brewing one and, again, I think its a great place to start.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2013, 01:10:24 pm »
Holywalloftextbatman.

Thanks for the info. P&S was our favorite Cafe/Roaster in Calgary, I may even like them more than Transcend... just saying.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2013, 01:24:39 pm »
Holywalloftextbatman.

sorry. I wrote that for my blog and just copy-pasted it.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2013, 02:17:38 pm »
I love a fine expresso. It's funny being in places where espresso is all they serve, I find myself saying "hit me" a lot, or just request a mug sized serving and get looked at like I'm entirely crazy.