Author Topic: WReX's 08 WRX  (Read 11027 times)

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
WReX's 08 WRX
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:39:11 pm »
Hey guys,

I did this last June but thought I would make a thread for other 08 wrx owners who are looking to do the same thing...

Parts put in:

IHI VF52 Turbo
Walbro 255 LPH
AEM Cold Air Intake
XPT Stage 3 AP custom Map (20lbs at peak)

All parts that are going in.

Fuel pump cover....little bit dirty haha

friend helping me out underneath

Old turbo set up with Invidia downpipe

Old turbo (left) vs new turbo

New turbo on the left...

Bolting new turbo on. The oil return line was the god damn most frustrating thing I have tried to get on right!

Everything bolted back on (minus intercooler)

finished product! With Seibon CF hood and White Volk 17" TE37's

some other shots of the wrx

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
Re: WReX's 08 WRX
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:43:07 pm »
planning to buy some BC Racing coilovers now and slamming it come spring. Also some Dunlop Dizzera tire's and a Exedy Stage 2 clutch.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:55:36 pm »
Why did you swap in a Walbro?

Plans for a bigger future?

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:58:34 pm »
walboro is bigger and the map that i had to use was tuned with a walboro 255 LPH. I don't think the stock fuel pump could handle that much of a power increase say without a new rail or injectors.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:00:31 pm »
vf52 in the stock application doesn't require the Walboro...  But there's nothing wrong with having some "headroom" for future mods.

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:02:08 pm »
now that I think of it the "guide" I had to go by for this install was basically everything that the shop had done and tuned for and created this map for this specific application.

http://www.xpttuning.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63&products_id=120

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:05:41 pm »
walboro is bigger and the map that i had to use was tuned with a walboro 255 LPH. I don't think the stock fuel pump could handle that much of a power increase say without a new rail or injectors.

OK. Nothing wrong with that.
I was confused because the 09+ with the vf52 uses the same fuel pump as the 08, and pushes 20+ lbs with stg2. And I have seen quite a few of these mods done (vf52 on 08) without a new pump.

As Grant said, nothing wrong with headroom for the future.

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 03:08:11 pm »
oh for sure! I thought that I was going to have to get new injectors and the whole nine yards, thank god I didnt need to tho!

I really want to get a "legit" tune at a awd dyno tho.

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:13:04 pm »
but on a serious note. It pulls real good now!  :P

I have a friend who has a stage 2 07 STi and I'm nearly 2-2.5 lengths ahead of him when we really step on her.

Best upgrade I've done for $$:HP - ratio.

Offline richie_rich

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 Airboy Stage 2 SWP WRX
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:20 pm »
Wow, looks like fun! Awesome work!

Your car is making me miss my bronze TE37s that I had on my civic.  :(

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:40:50 pm »
ya i love them! just wish i could have found some sick concave ones tho  :(

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 08:19:29 am »
is anyone on here running BC Racing coilovers???

Offline jtoon

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:31:12 am »
i was until i took them out for the winter.

what do u want to know about them?

is anyone on here running BC Racing coilovers???

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 10:08:40 am »
over all what they are like? I see they are priced really good! but like how good are they for driving comfort? can you slamm them pretty good?  full adjustable damperings?

Offline jtoon

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17:57 pm »
over all what they are like? I see they are priced really good! but like how good are they for driving comfort? can you slamm them pretty good?  full adjustable damperings?

well i dropped it about 2.5"....u can definitely go more....i wouldnt suggest it though....depends on the road conditions where u are i guess...

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=11837.0

u can see how low it was when i put it on, that was the first day i put them on and they settled more and so it was even lower when i took them off.

there is an enormous range of adjustability for comfort with the little knob on the top of them, i left them on the softest setting b/c my fiancee hates a rough ride...however, they were still plenty stiff in comparison to the stock suspension but not unbearable.

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 03:22:40 pm »
over all what they are like? I see they are priced really good! but like how good are they for driving comfort? can you slamm them pretty good? full adjustable damperings?

well i dropped it about 2.5"....u can definitely go more....i wouldnt suggest it though....depends on the road conditions where u are i guess...

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=11837.0

u can see how low it was when i put it on, that was the first day i put them on and they settled more and so it was even lower when i took them off.

there is an enormous range of adjustability for comfort with the little knob on the top of them, i left them on the softest setting b/c my fiancee hates a rough ride...however, they were still plenty stiff in comparison to the stock suspension but not unbearable.

Oh wow! looks nice! Ya I'm seriously considering 3-3.5" drop in the front and 3" drop in the back. I'm getting a whiteline camber kit ass-well for it. I'm glade that its pretty easy to adjust the comfort of it. I dont mind a rough ride, as long as she's looking nice!

thanks!

Offline jtoon

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »
where did you buy the vf52? if you dont mind, how much did you pay for it....im looking to buy and install one next year....hopefully...pending the wedding funds i suppose....

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 07:00:27 am »
the trick is....to buy and install before you propose...hahah JKJK

I actually got it from the Toronto Subaru club. Some guy there was selling it. I got it brand new in box and plastic wrapped still for $1000 shipped. Couldn't pass this deal up considering there near impossible to find and list from $1300 - $1400USD.

a good site for all Subaru get-up is www.importimageracing.com, this guy is the man, ships fast, charges it as a gift so you don't have to pay duty on it. and by far the cheapest price I've seen so far...

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
how is a exedy stage 2, 3 puck clutch going to effect my "street" driving capability? I understand that it will be a little tougher a first but is it that much of a difference than say a 4 puck?

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 03:24:46 pm »
want to know someone can answer this question for me...

I've ordered coilovers and literally I am going to slam it and hopefully tuck my wheels on my wrx. I've been told that I am going to need to get a rear camber adjustment kit if I'm going to be lowering my car. TECHNICALLY the more camber (negative) I can get (to a certain and reasonable limit) the better. So really will the "camber correction kit" really just be giving me positive camber again after lowering it? If so is it really necessary?

boiboi9

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 07:00:17 pm »
Kind of a question out of the blue, but how is the XPT Tuning map??

Did you use the Cobb AP map, or the Open Source map??

And... what did you use for a guide to mod the walbro fuel pump??

I am planning on going open source, running a XPT stage 2 map, and need that pump! But Ihave no idea where to find the guide or know anyone else who has done it!

Any help would be great!!

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 07:23:09 am »
well i used this for a guide on installing my fuel pump.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/152257-walbro-255lph-pump-2008-sti-wrx-lgt.html

I have the XPT map on my AP and its "mehhh". I don't like it all that much but it was the only thing available for my application at the time. I'm planning on getting a legit tune on a dyno sometime in the summer. The only positive of going with the open source, that i knew of, was it could actually read and adjust to temperature readings when your driving as the AP set up cannot. Whens its hot outside its kinda sluggish and when its cold it pulls hard!

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 08:07:27 am »
The only positive of going with the open source, that i knew of, was it could actually read and adjust to temperature readings when your driving as the AP set up cannot. Whens its hot outside its kinda sluggish and when its cold it pulls hard!

That might be true of your XPT maps, but the temperature/pressure compensation tables are still in the ECU so you can definitely have your map adjust with the AP. (But you'll still make less power the less dense the air is. ;))

boiboi9

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 08:21:47 am »
Thanks, that was what I was looking for.

One of our members here posted a similar DIY on iwsti, I just wanted to see all I could before trying this myself!

Thanks!

Offline WReX

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 08:23:59 am »
it takes a lot if patience and time when installing the fuel pump hahaha it can get pretty frustrating as getting the casing back on is near impossible! hahaha good luck