Author Topic: DIY mud flaps  (Read 8391 times)

lando2004

DIY mud flaps
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:40:34 am »
http://www.scoobymods.com/sti_mudflap_patterns-t50.html?t=50

think i will give them a shot this weekend!

Offline BLACK

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: B4 Legacy, Supra
Re: DIY mud flaps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »
my friend went down to princess auto and bought one big trick mudflap, cut it into four with a razor, and we spray painted them neon green and tossed them on his evo. Looked great, stood up, and cost like 6.99$
I don't ever want to drive a boring car.

Offline tmah

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:48:37 pm »
Very cool idea!

Offline wrxman71

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »
Yeah pretty cool but i would round off the corners
So what mod can i do to the subaru next?

lando2004

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:40:35 am »
Yeah pretty cool but i would round off the corners

i thought the same thing too and it get rid of the having to pick a colour for a logo that doesnt match the rest of the car

im going to try to find a big sheet of urethane and go from there.

Offline bolt

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 WRX + 1999 Forester S
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:30 am »

i thought the same thing too and it get rid of the having to pick a colour for a logo that doesnt match the rest of the car

im going to try to find a big sheet of urethane and go from there.

If you find a big enough sheet, I would throw in some bucks to get a set as well.

DOCH-tor

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:57:47 pm »
Any leads on how much some poly might be?

I'm actually more wondering if anyone know the measurements for the bolt locals on a wrx?  I don't have mine here right now or I would just go stencil it.

lando2004

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:27:10 am »
Any leads on how much some poly might be?

I'm actually more wondering if anyone know the measurements for the bolt locals on a wrx?  I don't have mine here right now or I would just go stencil it.

its a lot harder to find then i thought

DOCH-tor

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 08:00:40 pm »
I kind of guessed it could be.  Let's brainstorm.  Any other ideas of some good material?

I wonder if you could go down to your local napa and pick up some rubber for just such a thing?

I've seen that mod where a guy used bendable cutting boards from Ikea.   I can see where those would work really well if they had enough mass to them.  The cutting boards I've seen at wal mart aren't much thinker then a place mat so I'm not sure if those would hold up.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:44:12 pm »
I kind of guessed it could be.  Let's brainstorm.  Any other ideas of some good material?

I wonder if you could go down to your local napa and pick up some rubber for just such a thing?

I've seen that mod where a guy used bendable cutting boards from Ikea.   I can see where those would work really well if they had enough mass to them.  The cutting boards I've seen at wal mart aren't much thinker then a place mat so I'm not sure if those would hold up.

I was actually thinking of stopping by ikea on saturday to look at those, i haven't actually seen any made out of that material.  Do you happen to have pictures, or a link to somebody that used the cuting boards. 

lando2004

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:39:43 am »
I was thinking of using a huge mudflap from work for a tractor trailer. But I didn't know how rubber would be.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 08:45:57 am »
I was actually thinking of stopping by ikea on saturday to look at those, i haven't actually seen any made out of that material.  Do you happen to have pictures, or a link to somebody that used the cuting boards. 

I started the Ikea Cutting board project but havnt finished it yet because im unsure of where the holes need to be drilled.  Chalk it up to laziness though - ive had this project 'on the go' for months.

The cutting boards are obvious: they are in with the regular cutting board stuff.  Everything other than what you need is either 1/4" thick (solid plastic - you dont want these) or made of wood.   They are usually kept in a big open box for people to dig through. 

be warned: 1 pack of cutting boards has 4 boards in it.  2 are black 2 are semi transparent.  so if you want a full set of black boards, you need to buy 2 packs of cutting boards.  Luckily they were only like 8 bux each or something though!

Canadian tire has clips/bolts for mounting hardware just FYI.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:11:34 pm »
Pics?   I was planning on using my trashed rallyarmors for a pattern, so I shouldn't have to much trouble locating the bolt holes.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:34:26 pm »
Pics? I was planning on using my trashed rallyarmors for a pattern, so I shouldn't have to much trouble locating the bolt holes.

i dont have a picture, but its obvious which ones they are. There is only 1 type that could possibly be used for them. Like i said: everything else is either too thick and wouldn't bend, or its made of something other than plastic.

Edit: They look like this -

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »
 ::). I know what the cutting boards look like, I was wondering if you had anypics of the flaps you cut from them.   

Oh and how does one "cut" a cutting board.  ??? :D 

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 01:29:41 pm »
::). I know what the cutting boards look like, I was wondering if you had anypics of the flaps you cut from them.   

Oh and how does one "cut" a cutting board.  ??? :D 

No, i told you - my project isnt finished, its still 'in the works' lol.  *laziness*

I cut the boards w/ a carpenters knife.  Once you make a deep enough slit, you can just snap the plastic for a clean break.

Offline speedfreak76

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 98 V4 STI
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 03:25:03 pm »

Oh and how does one "cut" a cutting board.  ??? :D  

Sizzors work good. I'm currently doing the Ikea ones on my Justy. I've got the rear done, just working on the front. A little hard, as the mudflap is holding the rusty fender together!  ;D

DOCH-tor

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 04:14:01 pm »
Here's a link to a pretty good DIY

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t99460-diy-gc-jdm-sti-mud-flaps.html

I have some tin snips that are pretty nimble.  I'm going to use them for cutting.

So just out of curiosity, what are these ikea boards like?  I've seen some of the same type at wal mart but they're pretty flimsy and look like they would just crack in the first cold snap.

Offline speedfreak76

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 98 V4 STI
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:51 pm »
So just out of curiosity, what are these ikea boards like?  I've seen some of the same type at wal mart but they're pretty flimsy and look like they would just crack in the first cold snap.

They are actually quite good! I've used them on another car as well, and they stay quite flexible (If their big enough you get the classic "Flying Mudflap" Look that the Ol' Group B rally catrs, such as the Lancia Delta S4 had.) Also, SNow/ice chunks don't stick very well either, they seem to just slide off.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 12:01:02 pm »
i really should finish my damn flaps!  especially now w/ the snow coming down like it is.

DOCH-tor

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 04:53:41 pm »
I'm super glad to hear that!  Are they the dralla brand name cutting boards?

Gonna make my way to Ikea as soon as I can to get some!

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 06:09:54 pm »
yes, they are the dralla 37x29cm cutting boards.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 08:19:07 pm »
I finally got around to getting my mudflaps all cut out.  I only managed to get the rears on before going on a ski trip, the drivers side flap help up great, the passenger side not so much.  Here's a picture of them all cut out, I'll try and get a picture of them all installed tomorrow.  As you can see the RA i used as a template is slightly worse for wear after about a year on the Fxt. 

DOCH-tor

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 08:53:22 pm »
Haha, I keep going to ikea and seeing nothing but those red boards.  I'm waiting until they get black in!

scoobyjabo

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »

I started the Ikea Cutting board project but havnt finished it yet because im unsure of where the holes need to be drilled.  Chalk it up to laziness though - ive had this project 'on the go' for months.

The cutting boards are obvious: they are in with the regular cutting board stuff.  Everything other than what you need is either 1/4" thick (solid plastic - you dont want these) or made of wood.   They are usually kept in a big open box for people to dig through. 

be warned: 1 pack of cutting boards has 4 boards in it.  2 are black 2 are semi transparent.  so if you want a full set of black boards, you need to buy 2 packs of cutting boards.  Luckily they were only like 8 bux each or something though!

Canadian tire has clips/bolts for mounting hardware just FYI.
If you guy's want i could borrow you the actual replica template of the RA mud flaps front and back..Wingless was kind enough to lend me his so i could trace them and cut them out on light gauge steel so i had a template for myself once i found the right material..It even has all the holes in the right spots.. 
I'll see if i can find some pics of them..