Author Topic: DIY mud flaps  (Read 8393 times)

DOCH-tor

Re: DIY mud flaps
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 12:13:17 pm »
That would be great!

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 12:24:13 pm »
I would love that as well, thank you!

DOCH-tor

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 01:24:31 pm »
I have my flaps all cut out.  Now how should I mount them?

I have some clip nuts for the holes but the other clips in there aren't quite long enough to go through the flaps.  Any ideas?

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 01:32:07 pm »
I have my flaps all cut out.  Now how should I mount them?

I have some clip nuts for the holes but the other clips in there aren't quite long enough to go through the flaps.  Any ideas?

Try Canadian Tire.  They have a couple different sizes of 'clup nuts' if that is what you're looking for. 

DOCH-tor

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 02:45:11 pm »
Really?  I was there the other day day and didn't see any.  I ordered some from the dealership.

I was talking about the clips with the philips head screw in the center.  The center pops out and then you can remove the hole clip.  They're plastic. 

I don't think they're long enough to reach all the way through the mud flap.  I'm wondering where I can get some longer ones.  I tried taking a picture but it's too big.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 03:22:06 pm »
Really?  I was there the other day day and didn't see any.  I ordered some from the dealership.

I was talking about the clips with the philips head screw in the center.  The center pops out and then you can remove the hole clip.  They're plastic. 

I don't think they're long enough to reach all the way through the mud flap.  I'm wondering where I can get some longer ones.  I tried taking a picture but it's too big.

Im talking about these:

Canadian tire has these in black, in a few different sizes.  You buy just the clip, and then based on which clip you purchase - you buy any length of bolt you want to screw into it.

The clip itself only goes over the fender panel - providing a backing for a screw to screw into.
To fasten the mud flap to it, You grab any length of bolt you want (Should be a 1" bolt) and a Fender washer.

The Bolt goes through the fender washer, Then the mudflap and then screws into the Speed Nut Clip you've fastened to your fender. 

Clear as mud?  :o O0

MSPaint Pr0ness:

Offline gd8

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 04 WRX, 08 XT
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 03:43:45 pm »
When you use these clips on the body, remember to use some electrical tape to protect the paint surface (contact between the clip and the body).  These can scratch pretty good when you are mounting them, it helps to prevent rust; especally when you are using these clips in a very dirty environment.

DOCH-tor

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 03:01:19 am »
When you use these clips on the body, remember to use some electrical tape to protect the paint surface (contact between the clip and the body).  These can scratch pretty good when you are mounting them, it helps to prevent rust; especally when you are using these clips in a very dirty environment.

Indeed, especially in northern environments.  Although you should be protected from rust using them on plastic bumpers/wheel well.  I wish I had seen those at Canadian Tire.  I went to the dealership to buy some... 

What I'm concerned about though are the plastic "screws?" in the wheel well that I was going to use to mount the front flaps.  You screw out the center and then pop it out.  The ones on the car aren't long enough to reach through the flaps.  I suppose I could just replace them with the clip nuts though.  Do you know where abouts you saw them in Canadian Tire?

Offline gd8

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 04 WRX, 08 XT
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:41 am »
Try part source or auto value.  They have a better selection for clips.  Might find some plastic ones too. 

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 09:04:17 am »
Canadian tire always has a section that has sliding shelving w/ a bunch of nuts/bolts/screws/washers etc.  It's not an entire isle or anything like that, so it's usually easy to miss.  It's usually a section of shelving w/ 4-6 Sliding vertical racks.  Each rack has little bins of hardware.  The Clips are in there along with the bolts/screws/washers.

If you ask someone who works there - I'm sure they could point you to the right place if that Canadian tire Has one.  Instead of asking for the clip: ask for the section with all the nuts/bolts/washers etc.  The clips will be in there if they have them.

scoobyjabo

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:01 pm »
Sorry guy's , it took a few days but I got a shot of the templates.
Let me know if someone wants to come up and borrow these for a week or so. I thought they had holes in them but I guess not, I don't imagine it would be that hard to mark them though.
Left one is for the front and the right for the back..

lando2004

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 02:32:18 am »
they look great! what did you use to cut them?

scoobyjabo

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »
they look great! what did you use to cut them?
I cut them on a CNC plasma when i was with my last employer..

Offline fuzzy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:19 pm »
scoobyjabo do you still have the templates handy? i would love to be able to trace those!!

and did anyone find any suitable cheap material that the flaps can be made of?

Offline codester-

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: e39
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »

and did anyone find any suitable cheap material that the flaps can be made of?

cutting boards from ikea

Offline basshead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 96 wrx
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 04:53:12 pm »
Found that the ikea cutting boards are absolute crap in the -10 and below and they just snap. So I re did my cuttingoutline with "big rig" muflaps from auto value for 13 each (2) and they held up great

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »
Found that the ikea cutting boards are absolute crap in the -10 and below and they just snap. So I re did my cuttingoutline with "big rig" muflaps from auto value for 13 each (2) and they held up great

+1 Ikea Cutting boards just snap in half in cold weather.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline jacky4566

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 12:13:59 pm »
Does lando2004 or anyone else here have a template for 05 LGT? I cant seem to find one for the life of me. Even lgt forum doesnt turn anything useful up.
Thanks!

Offline Ryan403

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: White Bugeye ;)
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 09:14:32 am »
Here's how my ideas mudflaps came out  ;D 8) I'll update on if they snap or not

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 09:24:27 am »
Here's how my ideas mudflaps came out  ;D 8) I'll update on if they snap or not
Looking forward to hearing from you again in January. I expect your report will be negative as nothing (decently priced) really beats urethane in our cold winter temps.

Offline fuzzy

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:59 pm »
does anyone know  where urethane sheets can be purchased locally, and if the material can be cut easily?

would like to craft my own flaps, but dont want to be wasting my time on something thats going to fail eventually one way or another.

Offline 98GF8Pretty

• Patchy Faced
  • Highway Star!
    • One Soul Thrust
  • Ride: 98 GF8 Paint Code 406,03 GTI 1.8T
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 09:22:21 am »
does anyone know  where urethane sheets can be purchased locally, and if the material can be cut easily?

would like to craft my own flaps, but dont want to be wasting my time on something thats going to fail eventually one way or another.

Any industrial rubber hose distributor or gasket making facility should carry urethane.  I'm up in Nisku but we deal with the following

Goodall Anderson
ACR Group
A.R. Thomson
AGS Flextallic
EDIT: Here's one more I found Norwesco-http://www.norwesco.ab.ca/products/sheet-rubber/polyurethane-urethane/

Any of these companies might be able to help.
U R A BUS