Author Topic: Shell 91 vs Husky 94  (Read 21047 times)

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
Re: Shell 91 vs Husky 94
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 08:15:46 pm »
I run Husky 90 now in the V7 with great results. When I was trying for a little more convenience a few years back after tuning for H90 I tried the premiums from Esso, Shell, and PetroCanada. Every one of them caused my IAM to be pulled back and lots of medium/high load knock. Shell was the best of the rest, but also about the same price as H94.

I have never found any real measurable difference in gas mileage (which I actually worked out rather than saying xxx km on a generic fill) between Husky and the others. Getting more out of the engine on Husky regular than Shell premium and saving 15c a litre it's a no brainer to me.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline ArjayAquino

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 STi base
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 10:40:13 pm »
I'm about to ask the unthinkable :o

I know this thread is about shell 91 and husky 94... but what about superstore 91, or even safeway? dun dun dun.

Just curious because both are really close and I don't know where the nearest shell or husky are where I am.

*thinking for the future*
"It even smells of man...Burnt clutch, just splash it on before you go out for a curry and a fight." -Jeremy Clarkson on the STi

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 10:50:49 pm »

I know this thread is about shell 91 and husky 94... but what about superstore 91, or even safeway? dun dun dun.

Just curious because both are really close and I don't know where the nearest shell or husky are where I am.

Where do you live by?

Offline ArjayAquino

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 STi base
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 10:52:23 pm »

Where do you live by?

All the way down copperfield.
"It even smells of man...Burnt clutch, just splash it on before you go out for a curry and a fight." -Jeremy Clarkson on the STi

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 11:12:54 pm »

Husky Station Finder

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 12:15:28 pm »
I run Husky 90 now in the V7 with great results. When I was trying for a little more convenience a few years back after tuning for H90 I tried the premiums from Esso, Shell, and PetroCanada. Every one of them caused my IAM to be pulled back and lots of medium/high load knock. Shell was the best of the rest, but also about the same price as H94.

I have never found any real measurable difference in gas mileage (which I actually worked out rather than saying xxx km on a generic fill) between Husky and the others. Getting more out of the engine on Husky regular than Shell premium and saving 15c a litre it's a no brainer to me.

I guess it may be time for me to request my Tactrix cable back from Hydro or BigNerd, fill up with H90 and do some pulls.

I also noticed the same with the mileage between Shell 91 and H94, since I have documented every time I filled the Subaru since July 2006.  I'm old school , so my data is in a notebook in the glove compartment in my car, which is why I haven't been able to post my mileage on the fuel mileage thread.  I haven't quite graduated to using Excel yet. 

In my experience, the ambient temperature has a much greater influence on the gas mileage than what gas I am using.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 12:35:44 pm »
In my experience, the ambient temperature has a much greater influence on the gas mileage than what gas I am using.

In my experience it is how heavy my right foot feels.   ;)

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 01:07:44 pm »
I drive like an old man all the time, so the right foot is only exercised infrequently, and always at the same place in my daily commute.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:17 pm »
I should get a Tactrix as well and see wtf my car is doing on Husky 94 vs Shell 91.   ive TRIED to get decent fuel mileage out of h94, but even with supreme grampa driving (rarely going above 2k rpm) my mileage is always way off of what i get on shell91.

Offline Cyni

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 Audi A3 2.0T
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 01:17:34 pm »
I should get a Tactrix as well and see wtf my car is doing on Husky 94 vs Shell 91.   ive TRIED to get decent fuel mileage out of h94, but even with supreme grampa driving (rarely going above 2k rpm) my mileage is always way off of what i get on shell91.

Same here in both the WRX, and the Evo.  I stick with Shell/Esso 91 now, as I consistently get upwards of 50km extra per tank, regardless of how I drive.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »

Is it possible to keep below 2000rpm in daily driving? I wonder if lugging the motor like that could adversely affect gas mileage as well?

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 01:57:14 pm »
I try to do what ever is best for L/100km based on what the gauge tells me.  Im already in 5th gear when i manage to get up to 55-60km/h.

but! if keeping the car at that low an RPM IS causing me to burn more gas, i'll be glad to speed it up abit =D

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 03:32:49 pm »
I try to do what ever is best for L/100km based on what the gauge tells me.  Im already in 5th gear when i manage to get up to 55-60km/h.

but! if keeping the car at that low an RPM IS causing me to burn more gas, i'll be glad to speed it up abit =D

IMO, saving a few cents on gas per tank is not worth losing the instant power I would need if I'm in 5th at 1700rpm and need to step on the gas to get out of an emergency situation.

It sucks that our powerband isn't 100% @ 400-6500rpm, but again... is 50km per tank really that big of a concern? Wrong car bought, you have, if mileage you need.

Offline RedlineMenace.

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Pork Choppy McMoose.
  • Ride: 06' OBP STi. Stage 2. Extra rad Driver.
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 04:36:02 pm »

IMO, saving a few cents on gas per tank is not worth losing the instant power I would need if I'm in 5th at 1700rpm and need to step on the gas to get out of an emergency situation.

It sucks that our powerband isn't 100% @ 400-6500rpm, but again... is 50km per tank really that big of a concern? Wrong car bought, you have, if mileage you need.

I dropped down to the Shell 91 for the extra mileage simply because im back and forth to nait every day from the far south side so over the course of the two months that i make this commute, that 50kms extra adds up. =]. Once im back to work shes gonna be drinkin' that sweet sweet 94. I personally prefer less fuel economy, so i can stimulate the economy. haha.

Heeey 91 is catchin' up on the votes.
You can never go fast enough, because you can Always go Faster.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:59 am »

With my driving being 80% bumper to bumper travel in rush hour, i couldn't move in an emergency situation if i wanted to;  Im packed in like a sardine!  My short stint on the Henday each day lets me bust loose; if only for a couple minutes.  It's worse in the winter time for obvious reasons.  I cannot wait until summer is back.

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 09:19:30 am »

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 09:25:21 am »
^  Ouch..  I'd be sick

Offline Scout255

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 11:41:27 am »
Amazing that he blames nissan after all that......  Yup, totally Nissans fault that he modified the engine, used a map that was configured for the wrong type of fuel, and blew his engine.....

Offline Molson

• Stubbly Faced
  • I am the shadow on the moon at night
  • Ride: '06 OBP WRX STi
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 05:51:31 am »
Car is tuned on 94 so I use 94.

Have never tried 91 yet.
2006 OBP STi | Cobb AP Stg 2 | Greddy Catback | 3" Downpipe | Perrin Re-circ BOV | GFB Short Shifter | TBA...

Spotted: 7 Times

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 08:32:12 am »
Well I’ve only had my STI for a grand total of 4 days, but on my MS3 I ended up using Husky 94 when I had flashed to stage 2.  If I ever used shell or petro I’d get some misfire at the top of 4th and 5th gear at high rpms for some reason, Husky 94 didn’t do this.  But I did get slightly better mileage with Esso, but still had some missing problems.  But that car was boosting at 22psi too….. *gulp*

Yesterday I filled with husky 94 and it seems to pull REALLY good…..

I know that Pearl Boxer pretty much run’s all Shell 91 all the time…and he generally knows a lot more about this stuff than I do…so I could be nuts…
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:56 am »
I'm flashed stage 1.  No knock using Shell 91, or Esso 91.  I'll occasionally fill up with Husky 91.  Don't see any point in using a higher octane if I don't have to.

Didn't flash the 93 octane map since it's not always available everywhere.

That's my logic. 

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:17 am »
I'm flashed stage 1.  No knock using Shell 91, or Esso 91.  I'll occasionally fill up with Husky 91.  Don't see any point in using a higher octane if I don't have to.

That's my logic. 

How do you determine knock?  Audible knock, or datalogs showing no KC?

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:32 am »

That's my logic. 

How do you determine knock?  Audible knock, or datalogs showing no KC?

I did some logging with my AP.  I've never experienced any audible knock with the WRX.

Offline Scout255

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12:10 am »
I didn't think husky had 91 anymore?  I've always filled up with 92 octane @ husky since its the same price as 91 at shell, and I get AMA bucks.

Offline erlo

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: ETS
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 02:15:03 am »
Hey guys, I bought a 07 STi with an Airboy tune. I'm not what kind of gas the car was tuned to use. Lets pretend it was tuned for 94, but I've been filling up 91, would it be a problem?