Author Topic: Official WSC Olympics Thread  (Read 21779 times)

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Official WSC Olympics Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2010, 05:28:57 pm »
Ethnically Dutch.

In most of the world I'm the minority.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2010, 08:54:10 am »
That hockey game was far too close last night.  *bites his nails*

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:08 am »
That hockey game was far too close last night.  *bites his nails*

Once again Canada didn't take a game with the Swiss seriously.

Let's hope they don't have to face Uganda in the final.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:28 am »
I know im going to take heat for this: But in the 3rd period, they reverted to oilers level effort - much like they did in the 1st period vs norway.

Thank Christ Crosby saved the day: I was really impressed with Hiller all game, so the thought of a shootout was stressing me out.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2010, 01:01:45 pm »
My wife and I went down to Vancouver last Saturday and came back yesterday evening. We were there with an organization that focussed on hospitality so we didn't really get to see any events, but we did get some time to wander around the city and take in the Olympic sights and chaos that have enveloped Vancouver.

EDIT: more photo's here

We went to the Olympic Oval in Richmond. It's a very beautiful building; it's too bad you couldn't see much of it due to the intense security. Sorry the picture sucks, that's what happens when you just give you Camera to a random person on the street.

Pin trading. Some people go to the Olympics with the sole purpose of collecting and trading Olympic Pins.

The Cauldron. I think it's awesome, regardless of how the media has portrayed it and the fact that you can't get very close, it was awesome just to see it in person.

Red mittens. These things were everywhere!

It's hard to see, but this picture was taken last night as were driving past Lake Louise watching the Canada/Switzerland game on a computer tethered to an iPhone. Technology is pretty amazing.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 01:09:51 pm »
Wow. Nice pics. Im stoked that Im flying to Vancouver tomorrow. Tickets were so cheap and with a bed at a friends, this trip shouldn't be expensive at all.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2010, 01:26:41 pm »
That's awesome. Do you have tickets to any events/medal ceremonies? A couple of the guys we went with ended up with tickets to the medal ceremony where Maelle Ricker (womens snowboarde cross) received her gold medal, and the Barenaked Ladies played. They said it was a really incredible experience.

I would have liked to have another day or two though. We didn't get to see Robson Square or the Expo grounds. One must see is the light show at English Bay. LiveCity Downtown is pretty cool, and LiveCity Yaletown is a pretty happening place if you don't get tickets to any of the events.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Very cool
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2010, 04:43:49 pm »
Those are some nice pics.

Anyone catch this interview?

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2010, 06:12:36 pm »
^I don't like how that lady was trying to paint Canadians and Americans with the same brush. I am not American and would be greatly offended to be called that. At least he pointed out it was an American journalist, not Canadian.

Funny that the American said that and he just asked her if she was stupid. lol
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2010, 07:47:41 pm »
didn't know you were down EDJ. i just got home from van today

this is my animated gif haha not a very good shot compared to yours. but meh.

Johnny <3 Cam

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2010, 11:55:51 am »
One must see is the light show at English Bay.

I ended up going halfway across the Granville street bridge the other day: my mom was convinced it would be the best view, but she'd forgotten about Burrard St bridge in the way. No matter, it's a cool bridge to photograph, and we were too tired to walk any further. For some reason it seems to be leaning, even though I checked the bubble level on my tripod. The bridge does slope, and the wide angle distortion accounts for the building curvature on the edges of the frame... or maybe my camera was on crooked. *shrug*

I have some pics of Robson square from the Wednesday before the Opening Ceremonies when I went to see what was up, but they're still in the camera (as are all the pics of this set: I just took a screenshot of one or two when I previewed them). :)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »
didn't know you were down EDJ. i just got home from van today

this is my animated gif haha not a very good shot compared to yours. but meh.

yeah, but we weren't there with the subie unfortunately. I did see a bunch around the city though. How do you make the gif?
One must see is the light show at English Bay.

I ended up going halfway across the Granville street bridge the other day: my mom was convinced it would be the best view, but she'd forgotten about Burrard St bridge in the way. No matter, it's a cool bridge to photograph, and we were too tired to walk any further. For some reason it seems to be leaning, even though I checked the bubble level on my tripod. The bridge does slope, and the wide angle distortion accounts for the building curvature on the edges of the frame... or maybe my camera was on crooked. *shrug*

I have some pics of Robson square from the Wednesday before the Opening Ceremonies when I went to see what was up, but they're still in the camera (as are all the pics of this set: I just took a screenshot of one or two when I previewed them). :)

cool picture!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline SubiePilot

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 01 Prodrive STi, 10 Outback, 08 2.5i
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »
In the US this weekend and got to say the coverage is horrible down here.  Can only find Olympic coverage during primetime and then they only recap what the US athletes did that day with minimal if any coverage on who actually won, if it wasn't them.

Right now on NBC, America's Olympic network, is a cooking show that keeps making Viking references???  Just wait that show ended now we have a show about baby proofing for quadruplets, someone please get me out of here.  Good thing I am home tomorrow not sure how much more of this I can take.
"Say again, you're coming in stupid"

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2010, 01:57:37 pm »
yeah, but we weren't there with the subie unfortunately. I did see a bunch around the city though. How do you make the gif?

my car was outside of the city, no way i was driving there haha. skytrain for me. You could have come out for dinner with Pistachoo, Jutes and I on sunday if you were there then. Or again minus jutes and plus my best friend and pistachoo's mom haha.

i used a program called easy gif animator. you take the jpegs and arrange them in the order you want and set how much time you want between frames. in this case 13 frames 0.2 seconds
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:07 pm »
also: good luck to goldrush today at 5pm pacific

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-bobsleigh/athletes/lyndon-rush_ath1011779ZW.html

the 2 man bobsleigh is on today and tomorrow!
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Flelford

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
Re: Very cool
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2010, 02:23:27 pm »
Those are some nice pics.

Anyone catch this interview?

Speaking of Stupid American Journalism, This I think takes the cake. They even show a picture of both Terry and Michael J Fox *Palm-into-Face*

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »
Lyndon is OK after the sled flipped on the second heat.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2010, 08:51:31 pm »
they showed him after. looked like his finger may have been cut? but he looked ok.

how does it work? they do 4 runs. do they add them all up? take the best 2? not sure how they get to a winner
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »
Heineken House at the Richmond Oval.

'nuff said.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »
It is total time over the 4 heats.

Sean

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2010, 08:57:13 pm »
Lyndon is OK after the sled flipped on the second heat.

Holy itshay, well it's good to hear he's ok!

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2010, 10:02:34 pm »
It is total time over the 4 heats.

damn, he's going to have to kick some assay now :(
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2010, 01:54:51 am »

Torchbearer Brenda Eckalook is seen carrying the Olympic flame across the frozen bay by dogsled in Resolute Bay, Nunavut, Canada, on Monday, Nov. 9, 2009.
(AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Jonathan Hayward)

I met Brenda, and they were going to go from the airport to town on dogsled which isnt all that far (its about a 10 min drive, but right now at least, thats frost bite for any exposed skin in about 10 min and currently -40 without windchill.  Plus there are polar bears here.  They say you should carry at least a .303 have a decent chance if one decided you look good for dinner.  Its something else up here.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2010, 01:32:41 pm »
^^ wow. extreme, but beautiful.

borrowed from another forum:

Quote from: lowside67

Quote from: slow+ugly
Quote from: Sead
What about Luge doubles?

luge doubles = superbike sidecar racing

'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline thejean

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rally: Racing the way nature intended it
Go goldrush!!
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2010, 05:58:22 pm »
So, Lyndon Rush (goes by goldrush on here) made us proud in the 2-man bobsleigh today. Nice work Lyndon!! JC