Author Topic: How-to: Change front and rear brake pads and rotors on 2006-2007 WRX  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
Over the weekend I changed the front and rear brakes on my 07 WRX. I took the opportunity to document it as much as I could to hopefully help others in the future. The steps shown will be identical for any 06-07 WRX or cars using the 4-pot/2-pot setup but it should be fairly similar for other vehicles, especially the STI.
Some tools you should have before you get started

Jack
At least 2 jack stands
Torque wrench
14 mm socket wrench
17 mm socket wrench
17 mm wrench
High temperature brake grease/lubricant
Penetrating lubricant
Pliers
Wire brushes

For this tutorial, I’m installing Carbotech AX6 brake pads, DBA 4000 (front) and Racing Brake (rear) rotors.

The first step is getting the car jacked up safely. Before you jack up the car (whether the front or the back), loosen the related wheels enough that the lugs are at best hand tight. Trying to loosen them with the car in the air is difficult without an impact gun.

If doing the front brakes, put the parking brake on. If you’re doing the rears, put the car in gear (reverse).

For the front, use the front jacking plate. Note that my car has a Rallyarmor skid plate so the jacking point is covered up a bit. I aim for the two bolts and haven’t had an issue whatsoever.

Place the front jack stands just inboard of the pinch welds along the side of the car.

A side view of the jack stand placement.

Remove the front wheel. This is how the front brakes will look. As you can see, they’ll be very dirty.

Take this opportunity to clean them. Water and a rag is enough to remove most of the dirt and brake dust. I used a wire brush to remove a bit more but it’s not a big deal, my brakes are ugly anyways.

Doesn’t that look better? The next step is to gain access to and remove the brake pads. In this picture you can see the stock arrangement. The pads are held in place by a plate and two pins which in turn are held in place by a thin wire.

Remove the thin wire which is located at the inboard side of the caliper.

This will free the pins. These simply slide out. The backing plate will come with them and can sometimes fly out, be careful.

All the hardware you’ll need to remove.

The pads will now be accessible.

Caliper with the pads removed.

If you’re changing the rotors as well, you’ll need to move the caliper out of the way. There are two 17 mm bolts holding it in place. They are located on the inboard side of the caliper, at the top and bottom. Be warned, they can be very difficult to remove. Soak them in penetrating lubricant if this is your first time removing them. A 17 mm wrench comes in handy here as you may need to use your legs to free them.

When the caliper has been freed, find some way to keep it out of the way. Some people simply leave it hanging which appears to work fine. I prefer to zip tie it to the strut.

You now have access to the front rotor.

The rotor should slide right off. Remove the old rotor and put the new rotor on in its place. My rotors came with instructions to clean them before installation. Not having any brake cleaner (doh!), I used dish soap. The purpose is to remove any oils that could have gotten on the rotors during manufacturing or installation. It isn’t a big deal however as, generally speaking, the heat of the rotors will essentially clean them for you.

Clean the brake hubs using a wire brush before you install the new rotors. The purpose here is to remove as much rust and other junk from the rotor mounting position as possible. It’s worth taking the time now rather than deal with vibrations and noises later. They don’t need to be spotless, just cleaner.

You can see I did a crappy cleaning job. DBA was nice enough to put stickers on the swept area warning me that if I bought the wrong rotors, they wouldn’t fit.

At this point, go into the engine bay and remove the brake fluid reservoir cap. I’ll explain why in a bit. The installation of the brake pads and the caliper is the reverse of the removal. You bolt the caliper back into place and then put the pads in place. The latter can be difficult. Generally you’re replacing the pads because they’ve worn down (in my case I was tired of how loud the Hawk HP+ pads were). As pads wear, they narrow and the rotor pistons move or expand to accommodate them. As a result of this, your new pads won’t fit in the caliper, the pistons are too far out. You need to press them back. You can buy a very expensive tool for this from Girodisc (retail is about 200$), use a C-clamp (works wonders) or use the old pads and some elbow grease.
Removing the brake reservoir cap makes this step easier as the brake fluid is no longer in a pressurized closed system.

Before you install the pads, lubricate the back (not the surface that touches the rotors!) with some high temperature brake lubricant. If you have backing plates, lubricate those as well.

This is a very useful diagram to see how the front brakes are assembled. Refer to this diagram for part numbers as well. I would suggest emailing Subaru Genuine Parts (http://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/) if you have difficulty finding these parts. I ordered my backing plates from them.

For future reference,

26233D*E  = 26233AE010
26233D*D = 26233AE020

Clean the pins and backing plate using some penetrating lubricant and a rag. This isn’t necessary but it makes installation and future removal a lot easier. Use some of the high temperature brake lubricant on the two large pins as well.

Putting two lug nuts on can make the job easier as they’ll hold the rotor still.

The brakes are fully assembled here. You can see the brake lubricant, it’s purple.

Give the brakes a final check, make sure the two 17 mm bolts are tight and wipe off any excess lubricant.

Put the front wheels back and hand tighten the lugs. Lower the car and torque the lugs to spec. 80 ft-lbs is a good target. Be sure to tighten in a star pattern.

Now for the rears!

Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: How-to: Change front and rear brake pads and rotors on 2006-2007 WRX
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02:39 pm »
To jack up the rear of the car, use the rear differential.

As with the front, place the jack stands inboard of the pinch welds along the side of the car.

A side view of the jack stand placement.

Remove the rear wheels. It looks very similar to the front setup.

In the case of the 2-pot rears, the pads are held in place in much the same fashion as the front. There are two pins, a backing plate and a thin wire.

Remove the thin wire. This will allow you to slide the two large pins out. As with the front, be careful during this step as the backing plate can go flying.

If you have difficulty, Subaru was nice enough to stamp these pins with a Phillips slot.

The hardware for the rear.

The rear pads ready to be removed.

Like with the fronts, if you’re replacing the rotors, the calipers need to be removed. In the rear, this done by removing two 14 mm bolts. They are located on the inboard side of the caliper, at the top and bottom. They can be a bit hard to see as they’re tucked along the side of the hub backing plate but they’re easy to remove. There’s no need to zip tie the rear calipers up, you can place them safely on the rear suspension.

Before attempting to remove the rear rotors, MAKE SURE THE PARKING BRAKE IS OFF! I fought for 30 minutes trying every trick in the book to remove the rear rotor until I realized I left the sodding parking brake on.

If you have an issue removing the rotor, you can use a bolt to push it away from the hub. Conveniently, the long bolt holding the spare tire down fits the bill nicely.

The rear rotor removed. You can see the parking brake assembly.

As with the front, clean the hub before you put the new rotor on. If the instructions that came with your rotors call for them to be cleaned, do that now.

Once you’ve mounted the new rotors, replace the caliper.

How it should look from the front.

As with the front (I’m saying that a lot here), you’ll need to push the brake pistons back before you can put the new pads in place. I used the same old pad I used for the front because it was larger and gave me more leverage.
Make sure you lubricate the back of the rear pads using high temperature brake lubricant before you put them in the caliper.

Clean the two large pins and the backing plate using some penetrating lubricant. Lubricate the two large pins using some high temperature brake lubricant.

This diagram shows how the rear brake are assembled.

For future reference,

26633*B = 26633FA010
26633*A = 26633FA000

Everything back together, the purple lubricant gets everywhere.

Go over the rear brakes one more time making sure everything is tight.
All done with the rears.

Put the rear wheels back on and hand tighten the lug nuts. Lower the car and torque the lug nuts down. 80 ft-lbs is tight enough.

After everything is done, get in and start the car. DO NOT MOVE IT YET! Your brake pedal will be very soft. Give it a few pumps until it gets stiff. Once you’re confident in your pedal stiffness, move the car slowly checking that the brakes actually work and there’s no loud noises indicating that something went very very wrong.

Bed your brakes in as per manufacturer recommendations. It can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but here it is in a nutshell.

Drive to a safe, straight, high speed road (a lonely highway works nicely) avoiding any hard stops if possible.
Perform some light braking to get some heat into the pads.

Perform 3-4 medium braking sessions (60-70 down to20 kph) to get more heat into the pads.

Perform 5-6 hard braking sessions (100 kph down to 20 kph) to get a lot of heat into the pads. Do not lock the tires. If possible, keep the driver’s side window down so you smell the brakes. You’re basically trying to bring them to failure. Once you notice your brakes show a reduced ability to slow the car, they’re done. They should smell awful and ideally be smoking. Drive the car slowly to cool them down or park the car and leave it or 30 minutes or longer.

The purpose of this exercise is to transfer a thin layer of pad material to the rotors. The majority of braking force does not come from a pad to metal interface but a pad to pad interface. If you don’t bed your brakes in properly, they won’t work as well as they could.

With the pads bedded in, you should be done. Yay!

Parking brake adjustment:

Test your parking brake to see where it engages. If it engages near the top of the lever movement, you need to adjust it. This isn’t a difficult procedure but it is annoying and takes time.

In this picture, you can see that Subaru uses a separate drum brake system for the parking brake. This is good as it means if you’ve driven the car very aggressively, you can actually park it with the parking on and not have to worry about ruining the rear brake pads.

To adjust the parking brake engagement, you need to adjust how far out the drum shoes are without the lever up.
I wasn’t able to get any good pictures of this as most of my time was spent under the car with very little room to work spouting expletives.

I would recommend jacking up both ends of the car if you're going to adjust the parking brake. The reason for this is that you don't want the car to be in gear and you obviously don't want the parking brake to be on. You may be fine simply blocking the front tires but I felt more comfortable with the entire car in the air not able to move anywhere.

The adjustment wheel for the rear drum is found underneath a rubber plug on the back (inboard side) of the rear backing plate. You can remove the plug using a screwdriver. You can just barely see the hole with the plug removed in this picture. It is at the top edge of the shadow, to the left of the HL lettering.

To adjust the parking brake, you turn a small star wheel in that hole. To tighten the parking brake, push the wheel up (so that the top of the wheel turns towards the outside of the car). This is a pain in the butt. Use a small screwdriver. Tighten the star wheel enough that you cannot turn the wheel with the parking brake off. Now for the hard part, loosen the star wheel 5-6 notches. I found it far easier to do this with the wheel off. A bent screwdriver would make it easier as well. This is done by pushing the star wheel in the opposite direction from tightening (the top of the wheel turns towards the inside of the car). Periodically put the wheel back on (you don’t need to put the lugs on as well) and see if you can turn it. I also double checked that I did it right by putting the parking brake on by a few clicks to see if it stopped the wheel from turning.

The Carbotech pads and Racing Brake rotors were purchased from Oakos Automotive http://www.oakos.com/. The DBA rotors were purchased from Tirerack http://www.tirerack.com/.

Squealing brakes:

If your brakes are squealing, make sure you have the OEM or a suitable replacement backing plate in place.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:06:48 pm »
Awesome writeup! Thanks for taking the time to document the process like that!
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:31 am »
fantastic write up.

Hopefully a mod will pop this into the "how to" thread.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:03:35 am »
fantastic write up.

Hopefully a mod will pop this into the "how to" thread.

Done

backing plate

FYI, that's the anti-rattle clip.  The backing plate is the piece that goes between the pads & the pistons.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:34 am »
Whatever it is, I don't have one anymore :lol:.

Offline Sinz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2012 JKR
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:39:50 am »
At this point, go into the engine bay and remove the brake fluid reservoir cap. I’ll explain why in a bit.

I looked and looked and  maybe I'm blind but I didn't see anything else about the brake fluid resevoir.
There's no stopping the Frito Bandito

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:47:37 am »
Oops, added that info.

Offline RIP

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Outback
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 07:02:18 am »
Nice write up Nick! Did you ever do your break lines? 

That is one of the other break related things I am not
100% sure on how to do.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 08:53:20 am »
Nice write up Nick! Did you ever do your break lines? 

That is one of the other break related things I am not
100% sure on how to do.

Why look, here's a HOWTO by our very own Ambystom01 on that topic too...  ;)

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=3305.0

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 03:03:15 pm »
I never did my own brake lines, one bolt is seized and I'd likely have to chance the entire hard line to deal with it.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 01:27:08 pm »
Updated with more information, backing plates really help with squealing.

Offline BLM

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STI
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »
This is a really good write up! Between this and a couple Youtube videos, I replaced the brakes on my 09 STI last night. The pictures were great and the whole procedure was super easy to follow. This would be the first brake job I've ever done on my own. It took me a couple hours to do the first wheel just because I wanted to be methodical and get things right but after that, it took me about an hour or so to finish the other 3 wheels and do an oil change on top of it. Tonight I need to bed in the brakes but other than that, I'm ready for a road trip to Van island!

Offline T9Sniper

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 02:33:57 pm »
Thanks to Nick for this write up. Just did it on my 07 STi and thought I would mention a couple things that maybe you want to update the "How-To" with. First on the STi the caliber bolts are 19mm instead of 17 but you figure that out in a hurry. Second, if your rotor is "Frozen" to the hub like mine was, 2 10MM bolts can be threaded onto the rotor to push it off the hub. Mine even needed some "gentle" encouragement with a hammer and a block of wood.  I then put a very thin layer of anti seize compound on the hub to prevent the freezing from happening next time.