Author Topic: Mudferret's HWhip - ask me about my exciting new end links  (Read 55031 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Mudferret's HWhip - Some new bits, Killer B, Samco
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:47 am »
Very much so; drive conservatively 95% of the time however.

Haha, I know how that is. Since I'm plastered in stickers, have cancer on my car, as well as the gold wheels, blue car, and huge spoiler, I'm uber paranoid about the smallest infraction..
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 10:21:19 am »
Gotta love TD04 torque bots!

I'm very happy with the results and a turbo upgrade is on the back burner of a massive stove now, I just love the fact that the tq is available right away.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2010, 04:22:45 pm »
Just purchased this from snackers.  Not sure if it will be in my car any time soon as I've been told to be ready to go to Ethiopia as early as this coming week for a week or two, or a month or two.  Most likely longer than I'd like.

Edit: Installed

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Mudferret's HWhip - New shift knob, Killer B p/u tube installed
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 05:29:49 pm »
Killer B p/u tube installed today.  For those of you not adventurous enough to tackle it yourself, I was quoted, and ultimately billed 2.4 hours by SoC.  Apparently my 22mm Whiteline FSB makes pan removal more difficult, at least according to the notes on my invoice.

No evidence of a crack on my stock p/u tube which I requested they leave with me. 

Shift knob should be here shortly; I've quoted myself 0.0167 hours for the install.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2010, 05:32:37 pm »
Shift knob should be here shortly; I've quoted myself 0.0167 hours for the install.

You've not taken into account the adjustment screw on the inside of the knob, which you will forget about until you put it on. Then you'll remember, and spend the next 17 minutes taking it off, adjusting, putting it on, shift pattern doesn't line up, taking it off, adjusting, putting it on, you adjusted it too far, taking it off, adjusting, putting it on, you adjusted it the wrong way, then saying "uckfay it" even tho the shift pattern is sideways.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 06:13:03 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging words.  Might have to get it installed in some place like Toronto.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 08:10:10 pm »
Too many p/u tube pics?  Probably.

Very well made, no ground down welds, bevelled, I wish I had a lexan oil pan.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2010, 05:49:46 pm »
Fresh installed pic of the knob in my original post above so I'm not relying on snackers's's's' linked photos. 

Feels great, closer in weight to the stock knob, likely around the same height, but narrower.  Feels great.  I liked the Kartboy, but found it too light.  I'm keeping the Kartboy regardless, so it's NFS.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:31 am »
Next up:
  • Getting a little dent in my fender taken out at Eco Dent Works on Nov 9; some inconsiderate rhymes with bunt dented it with their door.  I envision them being a 5'4" big belt buckle wearing, tobacco chewing poozle in a lifted F250 dually.
  • Once Sunny is taking appt's I'll get tuned on the dyno, perhaps add a EBCS then as well.

All this is contingent on me actually arriving in Canada at some point.

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2010, 09:56:16 am »
I'm not doing a good job of resisting the temptation to upgrade my turbo.  The least I can do is wait until spring before pulling the trigger on a turbo + intercooler + dyno time, since the weather will be more conducive to wrenching.  Please do not entice me with a heated garage.

Yesterday was my first opportunity to feel the difference my swaybars/endlinks make with snow on the ground.  They're both 22mm adjustables: front on softest setting, rear on mid setting.  The back end definitely breaks free more easily and the car behaves a bit more like a rwd car on the slick stuff.  I might put my rear on the softest setting for winter.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39:57 am »
Will be sporting Blizzak WS70's tomorrow thanks to reviews from here, install at Urban Expressions SE.  My only concern with the Blizzaks is longevity, so we shall see how many winters I can get out of them safely.

<insert NASIOC dancing banana>

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 09:42:27 am »
I was told by Urban that my WS-60's should be getting at least 40k+ on them, or I'm doing something seriously wrong... like burnouts.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Mudferret's HWhip - STI TMIC, splitter, bellows on their way
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »
Next up, in accordance with my desire to resist the temptation of a turbo upgrade, I'll be installing an STI TMIC + splitter + bellows and getting a retune on Sunny's dyno.  Up the boost a little and get a 94 octane tune, will retain a 91 tune for instances where 94 isn't available.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2010, 05:08:31 pm »
2007 STI IC, below it splitter, bellows, a new passenger side IC bracket (I bent mine), new foam to go between the splitter and the scoop, and a new BPV gasket.

Gave the IC a good cleaning, and it's pretty shiny, but I'm going to work at it a bit more.  Still waiting for silicone elbow.  I hope not to pair this with a turbo upgrade someday.

Edit: Cleaned up a bit more, cleaned the inside with Varsol, despite the clean appearance of the inside, the Varsol was like chocolate milk after a few minutes of shaking.  Will use a bit more elbow grease to remove some more of the dark stains.  Not going for a polished look, just want it clean, clean, clean.  The fins are all perfectly straight, front/back.  The water between the fins creates an illusion that some aren't.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2010, 06:09:06 pm »
  I hope not to pair this with a turbo upgrade someday.

Liar.

Seriously though. Make sure you're careful with the BPV bolts... they strip the TMIC pretty easy.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2010, 07:22:22 pm »
Liar.

Enabler!

Seriously though. Make sure you're careful with the BPV bolts... they strip the TMIC pretty easy.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to look up the tq specs.

Offline bejamin

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Forester, 2002 Outback Wagon
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2010, 10:54:36 pm »

11.7 ft-lb not tight at all. If you even so much as cough while doing these bolts up you will strip the threads out of the intercooler.   
"It's a rally car. And we were bored with chess"

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2010, 10:39:03 am »
11.7 ft-lb not tight at all. If you even so much as cough while doing these bolts up you will strip the threads out of the intercooler.   

Yep! Mine are stripped. Had to use gasket maker to create a good seal and now to remove the TMIC, i need to undo the hose to the BPV instead of removing the bolts.

Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2010, 04:32:11 pm »
Well after about 10 months passing since I received the Kartboy shifter bushings I finally installed them.  Install was relatively easy, the biggest issue was dealing with tight quarters.  I did this with ramps, and I felt a little cramped underneath the car.  I did end up with the slight gap on the driver's side of the main shifter bushing, and this is normal as per Kartboy's directions, common on WRX's and apparently nothing to worry about.

The write-ups already on line cover all the bases, and this is really a quick, easy mod.  If you only want to go under the car once and not have to crawl out when you realize you need a 13mm socket for the new Kartboy supplied bolts for the rear bushing, bring the 13mm socket with you.  I'm sure only the lowest of the low profile torque wrenches will access the bolts, so ensure you don't over/under tighten if yours doesn't fit.  Cross-members are a non-issue on the WRX. 

Shifting is much, much more positive and shifting gears seems much more smooth, and definitely much more enjoyable.  It's amazing how soft, like gummy bear soft, the OEM bushings are compared to the KB's.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Mudferret's HWhip - Dyno'ed
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2011, 06:06:17 am »
Got dyno'ed on Airboy's DD yesterday.  We did a baseline with my 91 octane AB road tune, and stock 06-07 "intercooler", and then added an STI TMIC and tuned for 94.  The pink curves are STI TMIC without tuning, which did add a little bit of hp, and some tq on it's own.

At the end of the day Sunny added 12.7 peak whp and ~15 peak wtq.  Some parts of the curve saw up to a 25 wtq increase however over the road tune.  Sunny is thorough, and meticulous, I can't say enough good things about his approach to tuning your car.  I was extremely disappointed however to learn that as I was freezing my assay off with gale force winds flowing through the bay that I was actually leaning against a functional hot tub, full of hot water.  Don't forget your bathing suits people.

It is a low reading dyno; the single stock 06 dyno'ed at ~175 whp, STI's dyno'ing at ~222 whp.

Note: Dyno'd on Blizzak WS70's ridiculously soft tread blocks and a couple of speed ratings shy of OEM spec

Redyno'd because of uber soft winter tires; caused low readings on dyno:

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2011, 08:05:54 am »
She's a heartbreaker that's for sure (especially if you don't have a turbo...ouch). 

I bet that torque feels awesome down low though!

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2011, 08:33:46 am »
I was actually leaning against a functional hot tub, full of hot water.  Don't forget your bathing suits people.

....hot....tub....?

*blink blink*

Seriously?
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2011, 09:27:54 am »
....hot....tub....?

*blink blink*

Seriously?
Yeah, it's a bonus. While your car is getting spun on the dyno, you can relax in a warm, comfortable hot tub and let the world go by. I've heard they're going to add a walk-in humidor next.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55:40 am »
That's awesome...... I may have to subject Sunny to my doughy, pasty exterior.... sorry in advance  :sarcasm:
I used to drive Subaru's.