Author Topic: The Coffee/Tea thread  (Read 12790 times)

Offline Madhouse

• Stubbly Faced
The Coffee/Tea thread
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:07:16 pm »
What's your favorite?

I just made some Arabian Bold from Starbucks and it's so good, my new favorite.

Tea - Earl Grey or a cup of PG Tips

Always black.

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
Re: The Coffee/Tea thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 09:15:47 pm »
unfortunately I have a taste for exotic blends. I'm loving this starbucks blend that can only be purchased from the first starbucks in Seattle in Pike Marketplace.

beyond that I normally like the bold blends from starbucks or any of the chocolate flavored ones.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:18:18 pm »
My wife is making me drink green tea as part of our new diet...tastes okay but more importantly it gets the job done. (Anyone who drinks green tea will know what I am talking about :P )

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:23:39 pm »
i like green tea. get the roasted rice kind. they almost look like rice crispies mixed in with the tea. mmmm

also i have been drinking a lot of hot chocolate lately. if i am lazy i use the powdered stuff: cocoa camino organic milk hot chocolate or if i am in the mood to actually make it: heat up some milk in a pot, add belgan chocolate and melt. mmmmmm sooooooo good that way.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline rehanna

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:26:18 pm »
i really like this ginseng/green tea we have, and i also love coffee - my parents brought back this hawaiian coffee which is amazing... but any mild blend from starbucks is good with me too... and tazo chai tea

Offline pinkrobe

• Patchy Faced
  • Hung over
  • Ride: Dirty GR, Filthy Bugeye
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:25 pm »
I have become so unimpressed with most chain coffee that I won't drink it.  Starbuck's, Tim's, Second Cup all taste like crap to me.  What I do drink is largely from independents like Caffe Beano, Bumpy's, Purple Perk and Phil & Sebastian [in order from not bad to fargin' wicked].  If I can't get to the indy guys, I make my own french press.  It's tricky to get the grind right without a decent grinder, but I win more times than I lose.  Seriously, once you've had coffee prepared by somebody who actually gives a itshay about what they're doing, you won't drink Starbuck's again.

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: '13 Focus ST, '92 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »
There is this really great bulk green tea you can get from like T&T or that bubble tea place in West Ed (where I got it from last) it has what looks like mini white pop corn cernals in it, best tasting green tea I have ever had, and I have tasted at least 20 different brands/types.

I do enjoy coffee, but I am more of a tea person.

Offline Mr. Wheeler

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon Airboy tuned Stage 0
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:28:20 pm »
I have Lychee tea and rose buds which I brought back from China.  One teaspoon of lychee and 5-6 rose buds makes the perfect taste!

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:15:32 pm »
Quote from: "ExHonda"
There is this really great bulk green tea you can get from like T&T or that bubble tea place in West Ed (where I got it from last) it has what looks like mini white pop corn cernals in it, best tasting green tea I have ever had, and I have tasted at least 20 different brands/types.

I do enjoy coffee, but I am more of a tea person.

sounds like the roasted rice green tea. i love that stuff :D
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline STI_Crazy

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2013 Cayenne
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 11:29:35 pm »
I love espresso and i usually get it from starbucks! Hot or cold (preferably cold!!)

Offline Madhouse

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »
Quote from: "STI_Crazy"
I love espresso and i usually get it from starbucks! Hot or cold (preferably cold!!)

Me too! I start my day off with a double shot espresso then head back towards noon and grab a grande black.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 11:50:31 pm »
I'm hooked on Tims right now but usually go for a better coffee when I'm not at school.  I'm really interested in trying out that coffee that
"poison" from NASIOC roasts.  Everyone in the OT seems to be hooked on it and many claim it's the best coffee they've ever tasted.
http://www.wcrcompany.com/about/

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:58:55 am »
Quote from: "silent"
I'm hooked on Tims right now but usually go for a better coffee when I'm not at school.  I'm really interested in trying out that coffee that
"poison" from NASIOC roasts.  Everyone in the OT seems to be hooked on it and many claim it's the best coffee they've ever tasted.
http://www.wcrcompany.com/about/

it's got crack baked in! Don't start! Take it from someone that is still recovering!

j/k :P

Offline Wally

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 03 Cavalier
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 02:24:11 am »
For coffee, I mostly drink second cup. But that's cause they have several brews at work for free so I can't knock that. I do agree that starbucks isn't the greatest coffee (especially if you're tried coffee from good indi companies), but I would say it's the best out there for being so readily available. And I do love my lattes; that's why I take only milk in my coffee.

As for tea, I don't drink a lot of it cause I'd rather have coffee, but I've found steeps to have a good selection (http://http://www.steepstea.com/) and they're located in a couple spots around town. They don't have the greatest and most exotic, but for selection it's good. If you do try it, make sure you ask which is a fresh tin they've opened, cause that definitely makes a difference. I take my tea black.

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 09:13:28 am »
I have a friend I go with to Steeps a couple times a month, and we try a new tea every time we go, it is a great place to stop in for sure. They have a big wall of the tins filled with tea and you can go open them and smell all the different kinds and pick the one you want. It is a pretty good system.

pitwipe

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 10:19:51 am »
Tea : Yorkshire Tea. I haven't found it for sale over here, so I get family/friends to send it over for me. Tetley is a good second choice though. (White no sugar)

Coffee : McDonald's coffee is the nicest I've tasted. I know, I know, it doesnt sound like it should be good... but it is. (Black no sugar)

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 DGM STi
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 11:43:26 am »
oh all you Starbucks people shame on you....and those that drink timmies.....bahhhh....thats toilet water.

The quality of coffee comes first from the type of bean arabica or robusta. Arabica beans are the best quality, robusta are the beans that they use for instant coffee and such. Timmes uses the cheapest arabica beans that are still picked green so they are very bitter. They buy them to save money so when they are roasting them they add sugar to get rid of the bitterness. And the reason that most people are so addicted to timmies coffee is (and this has been proven) there is nicotine and msg added in. Thats why there are people that get headaches unless they only drink timmies coffee....they think its from caffeine withdrawl but its not cause they still get the headaches if they drink any other coffee. The second thing for coffee flavor is the roasting process. That is where you get your dark and light blends, your flavored coffees and such. From there when its actially in the coffee shop there are a ton of factors on how a coffee will taste in your cup. From the how the water is filtered to the temp of the water when brewing. For the expresso you need to calibrate everyday the amount of coffee that is used and also the how long it takes for the water to go through the coffee to make the expresso shot. So there are tons of factors to look at to making the perfect cup of coffee.

Starbucks are all coporate owned stores, no one really cares about you there. They just line you up and out the door you go. They have a quite dark roast flavor to all their coffee. So if thats what you like then its ok but thats all you get. Also when they make their drinks everything is automatic. Just a push of a button and theirs your expresso.

Now with all that said Second Cup is the way to go (you knew that was coming) All the stores are independantly owned. And the drinks are all made by the coffee agent....nothing automatic here. Plus we have a huge variety of coffees from dark righ flavor to a nice medium blend. We also have coffee from all over the world as well. Plus if you come to ours Jenn is always there and she is a master at the barista and she really cares as do all our staff.....and she always puts a little love in each cup to make it extra special..... :mrgreen:

Theres my sales pitch for ya

Offline Mr. Wheeler

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Sport Wagon Airboy tuned Stage 0
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 11:45:59 am »
McDonald's changed their coffee a year or so ago to a high quality coffee and it's one of the best out there.  Go figure from a chain that does A LOT of food research on consumer demands.  I remember they spent millions on developing the McPizza back in the 90's.  I always thought it was pretty good pizza too.

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:00 am »
Quote from: "Mr. Wheeler"
McDonald's changed their coffee a year or so ago to a high quality coffee and it's one of the best out there.  Go figure from a chain that does A LOT of food research on consumer demands.  I remember they spent millions on developing the McPizza back in the 90's.  I always thought it was pretty good pizza too.

They get their beans from the same plantation in costa rica that we do. And I have to agree they stepped up and their coffee is a million times better

Offline ExHonda

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 11:51:24 am »
I loved the McPizza, then because it took so long they switched to like a frozen one, and the quality wasn't as good.
That being said the Mc Rib is back for a limited time, and I always loved those.
Have not had the Coffee from Mcdonalds yet. I also don't understand peoples love with Tim Hortons coffee, it really tastes like crap. The only "coffee" I get from there are the fake french vanilla cappuchinos. That is only when some sort of coffee is a must and that is the only place I can find.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 11:53:27 am »
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 11:54:14 am »
I loved the McPizza, then because it took so long they switched to like a frozen one, and the quality wasn't as good.
That being said the Mc Rib is back for a limited time, and I always loved those.
Have not had the Coffee from Mcdonalds yet. I also don't understand peoples love with Tim Hortons coffee, it really tastes like crap. The only "coffee" I get from there are the fake french vanilla cappuchinos. That is only when some sort of coffee is a must and that is the only place I can find.
When you have a choice between Tim Horton's and some fair trade organic coffee (I support the idea, but the coffee is TERRIBLE), then the decision is pretty easy ;)

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 11:55:05 am »
Well I must agree with flex, second cup is the siht because they actually care and are canadian owned which is my favorite part. Starbucks is not bad but they are to hippie and their coffee is better than most but still not the best. I love the paradisso dark from second cup, although i have not had it in a while because stupid fort mac doesnt' have a second cup that i can find!

but other than that i love a double espresso, used to be hooked but now i only drink coffee to wake up thats it haha before it was an addiction like it is for most.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 11:55:51 am »
Quote from: "silent"
When you have a choice between Tim Horton's and some fair trade organic coffee (I support the idea, but the coffee is TERRIBLE), then the decision is pretty easy ;)

my fair trade hot chocolate is pretty damn good :)
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Flex

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:53 pm »
Quote from: "JimmEh"
Flex: http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/timhortons.asp

Guess who paid for that....Tim Hortons, you cant tell that is written by a rep. When Jenn was in coffee college before we took ouver our store she met one of the reps from Second Cup that used to work at Starbucks. When he worked at Starbucks he was personally involved in the testing of Timmies coffee as they wanted to know why it was so addictive to people. And that is what they found. Would Timmies want to cover that up...of course. Also when Jenn toured the kraft plant where the beans are our beans are roasted, they also roast tim hortons beans. She said the tim hortons roasting area is guarded like fort knox. You cannot get anywhere near it to have a look at it. There is security and swipe cards to get in and so on. So why is there roasting process so secretly guarded...what dont they want you to see?

And them stating the FDA wouldnt allow these things to be put in a cup of coffee because its unknowing to the consumer........BS.....why isnt there a list of ingredients on a pack of smokes????