Author Topic: WSC Cigar Aficionados  (Read 45009 times)

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Limited, RM Slayer 50, Specialized Tarmac Comp
WSC Cigar Aficionados
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:37:38 am »
I figured there are probabley a few on here. So lets see the collections, humidors, and hear some reviews.  O0
Havoc The Cold Lake WRX Undertaking

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: WSC Cigar Aficionados
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:14:28 am »
Got a box of 10 of these ordered:

Also these:

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 02:19:30 am »
And my Humidor:

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:08 am »
I like that humi.  I am fairly new to the cigar game so I only have a half box of Lauro's Mareva's seasoning in my lil humidor. Any one else smoke a pipe?  I'll have to post some pictures after work.   

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:52:58 am »
Crappy iphone picture on the way out the door.  I know the humidity looks off, but it doesn't calibrate well.  I have compared it to others,  and I know how to read it.  :P

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 04:12:54 pm »
eBay is best bet for humidors imo. I made the mistake of buying local and they are way pricier. I spent $100 and could have picked up twice the humidor for the same price on ebay. and I think non glass tops are better, it is nice to look at the cigars but I find the humidity can be thrown off a bit with the ambiant light. But I needed something asap after my Cuba trip. I have been at cigars for years now, love em. I am
part of canadiancigar.com cigar club. 4x cubans a month of all variaties. I was getting very brand picky so I figured I would open my horizon lol.
Currently I have a humidor full because winter is to damn cold to
smoke. Just finished a monticristo open junior, quite nice actually, nice
short smoke with great taste. Not as amazing as I expected or as the reviews were. My favorite brand is still Romeo y julieta all around. Everything from their cigarellos to Churchill are stupendous! Monticristo second, cohiba third and partigas are growing on me slowly.
I will snap a few pics of my collection later.

I was into the Dominicans for a while but you really can't beat hand rolled Cuban
 brands. I have a few Dominican Romeo y julita reserva real robustos for the people that come
over that don't really appreciate a good Cuban.

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 05:39:21 pm »
Snapped a few quick pics of my collection, that stuff in the corner is some gel that fell out of the case; which by the way works amazing at keeping the humidity. That and the pre mixed glycol madelaine inc. keeps it at 70%, allthough my hygrometer always reads a few off since its a cheap pos.

heres my cubans out

here are my dominican RyJ with a few others, as well as some cigarillos

Here is the glycol I was reffering to

Inside of my travel humidor (silver/black case in other pics) always usefull when I am going somewhere and would like a few cigars just in case, keeps them safe and at humidity.
overpriced cohibas lol

I have an endless supply of rings laying around, I just cant throw them out, these are the past two I have had.
Anyways I can go on forever, maybe we will have to have a Subaru cigar meet up....even though im in an bmw currently (dont judge me its my family wagon!)

dog hair courtesy of my bulldog Emma

Another one of my all time favorite cigars is a dominican monteristo vintage 2000, they were a limited edition glass tubed churchill, simply amazing!
What are some sites that you guys get cigars off of?
currently my cigar a month club is www.canadiancigar.com, I haev used american sites for dominicans because they are so so so cheap. cigargold.com and another one I cant remember off hand that had horrible shipping times. Anyways cant wait to see what everyone else has! and nice collections so far.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 01:51:32 am »
Snapped a few quick pics of my collection, that stuff in the corner is some gel that fell out of the case; which by the way works amazing at keeping the humidity. That and the pre mixed glycol madelaine inc. keeps it at 70%, allthough my hygrometer always reads a few off since its a cheap pos.

I bought a digital hygrometer and did the salt test, it was bang on 75%. I checked it against my analog hygrometer which I have calibrated and recalibrated. The analog is 10%-15% out!  :o I then figured out that my humidity is not quite up there so I ordered this the other day:

I will let you guys know how it works when it comes in.

Anyways I can go on forever, maybe we will have to have a Subaru cigar meet up....even though im in an bmw currently (dont judge me its my family wagon!)

I'm down! I would host but I don't think anyone wants to come to Cold lake. I have a nice deck and a view of the lake though  :D

What are some sites that you guys get cigars off of?

Well I ordered the Padron '26s and Little Gomez Diaz's from  http://towercigars.com/store/. He seems great to deal with, quick email replies and threw in a bunch of free stuff to compensate for shipping but I guess we will really see when it all comes in.

I ordered the electronic humidifier along with the Gurkha Ultra Premium Cigar Tin Sampler from these guys http://www.premiumhumidors.com/. They also throw in free stuff with any order over $100.00. Again I don't want to say to much until everything comes in.

Finally I ordered the NHC Seleccion Limitada by Tatuaje 6 Pack Sampler and a few My Father #1s from http://www.newhavanacigars.com/

I will try and remember to let you guys know how everything works out and take some picks when everything arrives. Here is hoping that everything crosses the border with no major duties charges. The box of 10 Padrons I ordered would be easily over $500.00 in Canada and they only cost me I think around $180.00 online from the states.

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:45 am »
Is it possible to bring back the humidity to a cigar that has been left out of a humidor for a while?

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »
Possible but you would want to do it over a long period of time (weeks).  Only downside is they may taste quite harsh.

They would more than likely taste more harsh dry though.  Depends on the tobacco as well.

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • testing, testing, 1,2,3...!
    • Shane
  • Ride: 2018 WRB STi and 2000 JDM Forester STi
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:43:16 pm »
after reading this, I have a sudden urge for a sniffer of crown and a fat ol' cuban.

Nice collection boys!

FS: 2014 BMW 320i x-drive 2.0 turbo awd. PM for details

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »
Is it possible to bring back the humidity to a cigar that has been left out of a humidor for a while?

Yeah what they said! haha but no it is possible, i have done it. the proper way and the realistic way are your two options. They say bring it up 10% humidity every week until it reaches optimum humidity of 70%, but how one would do this I have no idea. I pretty much put it in a ziploc bag and my travel humidor gel and let it come up slowly then put it in the humidor with the rest of my cigars and left it for a few months. It did come back to humidity eventually but the taste what a little off, definently a little more harsh. But having said that its worth a shot and depending how much of an aficionado you are, you might not even notice the difference.

And wingless theres nothing like a sniffer of some scotch to and a fat stogie to kill the taste buds! I find the only way I can drink scotch is with my taste buds rendered numb from the smoke

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Shane
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 04:31:33 pm »

And wingless theres nothing like a sniffer of some scotch to and a fat stogie to kill the taste buds! I find the only way I can drink scotch is with my taste buds rendered numb from the smoke

just name the time and place... I'm in!  ;)

Offline wingless

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Shane
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 02:16:45 pm »
How about some Johnnie Walker Blue label...?
That'll fit the bill too. I'd love to try different kinds with a nice smoke... maybe we can have a WSC tasting?

Offline DubyaRX

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Take off your pants and jacket.
  • Ride: WRB Airboyed '08 Sedan, Sunset Yellow '08 BMW F800S, 2011 Crystal WhiteTriumph Tiger
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 04:16:08 pm »
Hey Matt are our stogies in? I can't wait to pick em up and get em aging.  O0
No, Bubba, it doesn't have a Hemi.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »
I think the Padrons just came in today according to USPS tracking. Unfortunately I am in Cold Lake and had them delivered to New Sarepta.

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »

Gentlemen i think we are coming up with something here! Everyone needs to bring a different bottle of scotch, few different cigars so we can try and trade as we like. Sounds like a plan! Wait...to bad we are all a few hundred km apart...grr

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:00 pm »
Gentlemen i think we are coming up with something here! Everyone needs to bring a different bottle of scotch, few different cigars so we can try and trade as we like. Sounds like a plan! Wait...to bad we are all a few hundred km apart...grr

xrider where are you located? Myself and Dubya are in E-town. Could always meet in Red deer a couple times through out the summer.

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 09:44:05 am »
I am in fort mcmurray, but I am from edmonton and go there usually once a month (maybe less in the futures since my baby is due in June) But I am sure we could arrange something as i do get a fair bit of time off.

Offline BlackArcher101

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '03 WRX, '16 Outback
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 10:05:14 am »
I've had cigar on my mind for a while now.

After the typical Cuban vacation stash runs out, where do you guys buy them?

Offline DubyaRX

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Take off your pants and jacket.
  • Ride: WRB Airboyed '08 Sedan, Sunset Yellow '08 BMW F800S, 2011 Crystal WhiteTriumph Tiger
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:11 am »
I've had cigar on my mind for a while now.

After the typical Cuban vacation stash runs out, where do you guys buy them?

check out the links on 07wrx's previous essay posts lol. All the sites have good prices on stogies and humidors.
No, Bubba, it doesn't have a Hemi.

Offline BlackArcher101

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '03 WRX, '16 Outback
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 11:58:50 am »
check out the links on 07wrx's previous essay posts lol.

Doh!  *lowers head in shame*

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 12:42:18 pm »
Doh!  *lowers head in shame*

I could be wrong, but just a quick scan of those sites and I think since they are from the USA that most of the cigars are dominican because of the whole us trade embargo dealy. But not to discount dominican tabacco since most of the companies use cuban seed anyways so they are basically cuban tabacco grown in the same climate in dominican republic. Lots of the big names from havana made sister companies in dominican. It is hard to find cubans at discounted prices thats why when I usually buy a box it is of dominicans.

only cuban selling site that I use is www.canadiancigar.com it is in calgary, well the store is and they ship anywhere, better prices than most stores and well I love the monthly club! Anyways hope that helps and if I am wrong about those sites my bad and please do correct me.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 04:20:53 am »
I could be wrong, but just a quick scan of those sites and I think since they are from the USA that most of the cigars are dominican because of the whole us trade embargo dealy. But not to discount dominican tabacco since most of the companies use cuban seed anyways so they are basically cuban tabacco grown in the same climate in dominican republic. Lots of the big names from havana made sister companies in dominican. It is hard to find cubans at discounted prices thats why when I usually buy a box it is of dominicans.

only cuban selling site that I use is www.canadiancigar.com it is in calgary, well the store is and they ship anywhere, better prices than most stores and well I love the monthly club! Anyways hope that helps and if I am wrong about those sites my bad and please do correct me.

Those sites sell Dominicans, but that is not what I am after............. I am after there fine Nicaraguan cigars. For those who have not tried a good Nicaraguan please do. A good Padron will hold it's own against the best Cubans on any day of the week.  8)

P.S: I don't recommend buying anything from Premium Humidors until further notice. Both my other shipments have come through and Premium Humidors still has not even shipped my order. Plus they only ship with UPS so I am also afraid of what bogus brokerage fees UPS will come up with.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 12:24:24 pm »

Count me in too.  Maybe we could light something up after the super meet, if were all there?