Author Topic: WSC Cigar Aficionados  (Read 44986 times)

Offline BlackArcher101

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '03 WRX, '16 Outback
Re: WSC Cigar Aficionados
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 12:26:37 pm »
Both my other shipments have come through
Was there duty?

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 02:20:11 pm »
Niceraguan! I have actually started hearing a fair bit about their tabaccy. I have tried a cigar with niceraguan wrapper but thats about it. I will take you up and try some

Offline DubyaRX

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Take off your pants and jacket.
  • Ride: WRB Airboyed '08 Sedan, Sunset Yellow '08 BMW F800S, 2011 Crystal WhiteTriumph Tiger
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »
Niceraguan! I have actually started hearing a fair bit about their tabaccy. I have tried a cigar with niceraguan wrapper but thats about it. I will take you up and try some
I've got 25 aging in my humi. I could bring a few to the next meet if you wanna try an authentic Niccy I bought and brought back myself.
No, Bubba, it doesn't have a Hemi.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Limited, RM Slayer 50, Specialized Tarmac Comp
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 10:15:42 am »
Was there duty?

No duty!  :D If you request it as I did, the retailer will often mark down the value of the package and declare it as a gift. I ordered what would amount to over $1100.00 worth of cigars locally and it cost me about $300.00 total. Mark at Tower Pipes and Cigars is awesome to deal with! He evan called me when he saw (on the online USPS tracking) that my package was delivered to make sure I got everything fine and that there was no duty. Highly recomend him!

On the other hand Premium Humidors has still not shipped my order and I am going to call and try and cancel it. I would rate them about a 5 (on a scale of 1-1000).

My other order has arived but I have not yet made it to the post office to pick it up and I am back in CL so it will be another week before I can share my thoughts on them.
Havoc The Cold Lake WRX Undertaking

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 10:17:51 am »

If your going to try Nicaraguan then go with a Padron preferably from one of their anniversary series and in a Maduro wrapper.

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:27 am »
I've got 25 aging in my humi. I could bring a few to the next meet if you wanna try an authentic Niccy I bought and brought back myself.

We should definently do some trades, when is next meet?

07wrx, that is a smoking deal and you know you are dealing with a good company when they sate the package is a gift or something along those lines, i had cigargold say it was candle sticks lol which could get them in a lot of trouble and I had another company send it and put a reciept in for $40 so duty was nothing. I had another site refuse to do this as well, so I didnt order from them. Nothing like the $100 duty suprise at the door :S

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:47 am »
I have hear of horror stories of $800.00 worth of duty. Which on a box of 24 padrons ($1200.00 locally) ($400.00 online) would be about right. Yikes!

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 08:51:43 pm »
My new humidor recently arrived. I am having trouble getting it seasoned. It is not wanting to hold its humidity above 65%

These are the couple of cigars I have right now. The jamaican one is very nice.

This is the start of my collection. I am headed back to Jamaica at the end of july for my honeymoon and plan on stocking up on some good cuban and jamaican cigars.

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 10:51:24 pm »
It took approx two days for me to get my humidor up to snuff, and one thing to keep in mind is that you hygromometer(spl) could very welll be off as most of that style are off by some. So theres a test you can do with salt that will tell what humidity it shows when the test will always give i think 70%, i will try and find u a link, then you can adjust from there. But anyways get a cloth, soak with boiling water and wipe the entire inside down with it and leave for two days. I know its hard but you have to, this will help get the humidor set up and break in the wood (so they say) and help keep humidity proper.
Also getting a digital meter off ebay is always a good idea, and use the glycol solutions that keep it at 70% and open only when you need to open it up. Hope any of this helps, take care and let me know if it works.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 10:02:33 am »
I cant see the pictures of your humidor because I am at work but if you are using the black humidifier pucks they give you with the humidor toss them and get somthing better (Beads, gel, packs). And do yourself a huge favour and get a digital hygrometer. I calibrated my analog that came with my humidor twice and then when I got my digital I found out the analog was still out by about 15%. I would still do an accuracy test on your digital when you first get it.

Step #1: Geta tablespoon of salt in a dish and slowly add distilled water until you make a paste. Do not have excess water.

Step #2: Fill a pop bottle lid with the salt paste.

Step #3: Place the filled lid and your hygrometer in a small zip lock bag. Seal it and then double bag it and seal the second zip lock baggie. Becareful not to get any of the salt past on your hygrometer it will wreck it.

Step #4: Let the bag humidify for a minimum of 2days. I have heard 12hrs but from my experience that is not near long enough.

Step #5: The humidity in the bag should be exactly 75%. You can go ahead and check/ajust your hygrometer to 75%.

This test works great because the salt will absorb and release water consistantly at 75% over a very broad temperature range so you don't have to worry about temperature affecting your test.

In the long run, the more expensive your collection gets you will want a humidifier system you can rely on and an accurate read out of your humidity and temperature. Spend the money now and you won't have to constantly worry about your cigar collection.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 10:07:22 am »
This is the start of my collection. I am headed back to Jamaica at the end of july for my honeymoon and plan on stocking up on some good cuban and jamaican cigars.

Just a heads up, about 9 out of 10 Cuban cigars in Jamaica are counterfit. If there is a particular brand/model of Cuban you like, go to google and research counterfits vs real ones. There are usually some pretty obvious things you can spot on the counterfits.

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »
Thats the test! I should really invest in a digital.

Oh and I am in edmonton for the next little bit, I guess anywhere from 1-2weeks since we waiting for our child to be born and she started to come and dilate but then she had to be stubborn and stop lol. SO we cant go back to fort mcmurray yet since we need the Royal Alex. But anyways what I am getting at is we could have a little cigar meet up per chance

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 01:49:41 am »
Well it appears to that the Cohibas I bought in Jamaica last summer are authentic. From the research I did between fakes and reals, they have all the signs of being real. I will definately watch for it again this summer when I go back

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 02:02:34 am »
^So you know now you have to bring us all back a stick to try.  ;D

My order came through from www.newhavanacigars.com. It has been at the post office for awhile but I had to wait until my days off to pick it up. Very impressed with these guys, they shipped quickley and used humidipacks to keep the order fresh.

Still have not gotten anywhere with premiumhumidors.com. Do not shop there ever!

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 06:01:34 am »
Cigar Meet
Saturday May 23rd, 2010 or Sunday May 24th, 2010
Time: Early Afternoon?
Place: TBD

How does this sound? I will change colour to red when more input has been given. And you should all know once it is in big red letters it is final. xrider will you still be in E-town?

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 09:39:23 am »
Unknown at this time if I will be in town. If kid is here then yes, if she is stubborn then prob not. I will know by Monday doc appoint probably. Here's hoping! I have a nice RyJ I have been keeping for a special occasion

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 02:41:16 pm »
07wrx, what were your duty's and taxes like from ordering from newhavanacigars.com ? I am leary of purchasing cigars from the US.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »
07wrx, what were your duty's and taxes like from ordering from newhavanacigars.com ? I am leary of purchasing cigars from the US.

Both of my orders have came across with no duty or taxes. Both New havana Cigars and Tower Pipes and Cigars are great places to deal with. If you request it they will usually declare the package as a gift, somthing other than tobacco and throw a receipt in the box for lesser value if it does happen to get opened up. So far I have been lucky and saved hundreds of dollars so if I do get hit once with taxes and duty I will just pay it.

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2010, 09:13:18 pm »
Unknown at this time if I will be in town. If kid is here then yes, if she is stubborn then prob not. I will know by Monday doc appoint probably. Here's hoping! I have a nice RyJ I have been keeping for a special occasion

And if the kid is here your bringing us each a celebration stick right?  ;)

Offline Apex403

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 10:50:11 pm »
I almost don't feel like a man saying this... but I turn 27 next month and truth be told I've never smoked a cigar... maybe I'll pick some up and celebrate my 27th with one :)

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2010, 02:20:37 am »
I almost don't feel like a man saying this... but I turn 27 next month and truth be told I've never smoked a cigar... maybe I'll pick some up and celebrate my 27th with one :)

Make sure you go to a reputable Tobacconist that keeps their stock properly humidified and ask someone working there to help you pick a cigar. You will want somthing mild yet enjoyable for your first cigar. Buy it as close as possible to the time in which you plan on smoking so that it doesn't dry out on you. Make sure you get him to cut it for you.

Tips for smoking:
1. Toast the end of the cigar when lighting, try not to let the flame contact the cigar and roll it as you light.
2. Take about 2 puffs a minute.
3. Try to taste the smoke on the exhale.
4. Don't inhale!

Take your time and enjoy it. I always prefer my cigars after a meal, on my deck, and paired with whatever drink happens to be my favorite that day. Good luck!

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 10:46:12 am »
When she is here healthy I am defiently good for some celebration sticks, I have so many to go through still.

Apex403 you definenlty need to get yourself a solid cigar for your bday that is for certain, and definently dont inhale haha.
Allthough I must admit when I do smoke I smoke much more than 2 puffs a minute, but thats just me, I tend to finish much before everyone else I smoke with.

Offline Apex403

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 07:13:04 pm »
Make sure you go to a reputable Tobacconist that keeps their stock properly humidified and ask someone working there to help you pick a cigar. You will want somthing mild yet enjoyable for your first cigar. Buy it as close as possible to the time in which you plan on smoking so that it doesn't dry out on you. Make sure you get him to cut it for you.

Tips for smoking:
1. Toast the end of the cigar when lighting, try not to let the flame contact the cigar and roll it as you light.
2. Take about 2 puffs a minute.
3. Try to taste the smoke on the exhale.
4. Don't inhale!

Take your time and enjoy it. I always prefer my cigars after a meal, on my deck, and paired with whatever drink happens to be my favorite that day. Good luck!

Haha frick im a nerd, after this thread I started youtubing videos on proper ways to light/cut cigars ;) I may get one when I come back from holidays next week Saturday.

Any good shops/people in calgary you guys could recommend? I know willow park has a cigar store near the chianti's (im in chaparal so something SW/SE is preferable)

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 08:28:29 pm »
The bug has got you now.  >:D

Offline xrider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2010, 09:14:11 pm »
The site I order off of online canadiancigars is in Calgary. They are supurb. Not sure on location in regards to you but I reccommend them!
I would say also get something in a tube because you pay a bit more but at least the tube keeps perfect humidity for a few days so you don't have to worry about that. Because a good cigar that isn't humid is worse than a cheap cigar at perfect humidity. I reccommend a Romeo y julieta no 2 cedro. I quite enjoy them.