Author Topic: WSC Cigar Aficionados  (Read 44987 times)

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
Re: WSC Cigar Aficionados
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2013, 02:15:41 pm »
Funny this comes up now. I'm enjoying a RYJ Short Churchill right meow.

Offline twobigdogs

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 legacy wagon GT limited
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2013, 03:09:20 pm »
Nice smoke, some pigs assay and some sun on the deck.... no complaints I bet! ;D

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2013, 11:58:10 am »
There's been no action here for quite some time.  Anyone been out and enjoying cigars? 

I had the chance to head to the states a while back,  and decided to take a chance on some non Cuban cigars.  I ended up finding a local cigar shop and the vendor there recommended the Fausto Esteli.  I am absolutely hooked.  If you like a full flavour smoke like a Partigas Series D #4,  this is the stick for you. 

So,  what's everyone else smoking?

Offline Unoriginalusername

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2010 Subaru WRX STi
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:58 pm »
I have kinda started smoking cigars, but I am really new to it.

My fav so far, and is a really nice smoke, is the Cao Mx2. I really enjoy the smoke, and I find as it gets going it gets even better.

I started with Romeo and Juliette's which I don't mind but I like the mx2 better.

I also have a set of Cao special editing sopranos, just havnt broke into them just yet.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2013, 01:00:49 pm »
I have kinda started smoking cigars, but I am really new to it.

My fav so far, and is a really nice smoke, is the Cao Mx2. I really enjoy the smoke, and I find as it gets going it gets even better.

I started with Romeo and Juliette's which I don't mind but I like the mx2 better.

I also have a set of Cao special editing sopranos, just havnt broke into them just yet.

I have always enjoyed RyJ's,  with the Short Churchill being one of my fave's.  Right now the ones I have that were rolled in Feb 11 are going through a bit of a sick period though.  I'll leave them be for another few months before trying one again.  The ones I have that were rolled in May 08 are unbelievable now though. 

I have never tried the Cao Mx2,  and I'll have to seek some of them out.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2013, 06:57:50 pm »
A recent trip to Hawaii afforded me to pick up a split box of Liga Privada #9's and T52's.  I also managed to grab a box of My Brother's Jaime Garcia Hawaiian Limited's.

I'm a big fan of the full flavoured cigars,  and all of these fit the bill.  The Liga's are nothing short of spectacular.  The #9's have such a full flavour,  it's almost hard to describe.  Chocolate and coffee are the two biggest tones, and they pair unbelievably well with porter or a stout beer.  The smoke given off from both the T52 and the #9 is really unbelievable.  More smoke comes off these cigars than any other cigar I've had. The construction of the cigar is great as well.  I did't need to ash one intil about the halfway mark.  I could actually stand the cigar up on the ash itself.   

The T52's are a bit less refined in flavour,  but all the other great parts of this brand are there. 

I'll have to tell you what the Limiteds are like when I get around to having one.  Just wanted to bump this thread some. 

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #256 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »
mmmm lovely.  A deal came up and I had to get a full box of the #9's.  It turns out this box is rolled by the same roller as the other one,  so they should be perfect.

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #257 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »
Glad i found this thread, i regulary enjoyed going down to the post hotel in lake louise to their cigar lounge, too bad its closed now, ill have to pick some up when im in town next, any reccomendations on shops and personal favs?
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2013, 06:02:01 pm »
Pm'd on the sourcing.  Local shop I go to most is Ziggaren.

Try a variety,  from mild to full,  and sweet to spice.  Your opinions will change based on the last meal you had an the pairings you are enjoying the cigar with.

My top 5 are mostly full flavour.  Not really first time smoker cigars,  but some I can't get enough of.

1) Liga Privada #9 Robusto
2) Tatuaje Fausto Esteli 144
3) Cohiba Secretos Maduro
4) Liga Privada T52 Robusto
5) Romeo Y Julieta Short Churchill

Special mentions go out to:
6) Room 101 OSOK
7) Trinidad Reyes
8) Punch Royal Selection #12 (I have one that is 13 years old,  and I can't wait for the right occasion to smoke it)

Offline twobigdogs

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #259 on: November 29, 2013, 07:32:23 am »
I smoke cigars usually once a week for the past 5+ years but I suppose I am a bit on the boring side, Romeo Y Jullietta almost every time... #2's, #3's, Cedro's I've started smoking lately, but Joseph at Zyggaren just talked me into a wide churchill yesterday... I'll let it chill in my humidor with the others for a few weeks before I give it a ride....

also picked up one of those otterbox travel humidor's they have, I travel lots for work and find myself looking for a good cigar shop often... Now I will just bring my own

Recently tried a Cao... it was decent but back to the R&J's for me....

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2013, 10:52:28 am »
I smoke cigars usually once a week for the past 5+ years but I suppose I am a bit on the boring side, Romeo Y Jullietta almost every time... #2's, #3's, Cedro's I've started smoking lately, but Joseph at Zyggaren just talked me into a wide churchill yesterday... I'll let it chill in my humidor with the others for a few weeks before I give it a ride....

also picked up one of those otterbox travel humidor's they have, I travel lots for work and find myself looking for a good cigar shop often... Now I will just bring my own

Recently tried a Cao... it was decent but back to the R&J's for me....

You can't go wrong with any RyJ's.  They are a good consistent medium cigar.  I would suggest that you try a Punch Royal Selection #12.  Another great medium body cigar. 

There is a certain flavour to the Cuban cigars that may have been missing in the Cao for you. 

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #261 on: July 07, 2014, 09:25:39 am »
Bumping this up. Anyone enjoying the weather with cigars?

I've put down a few rounds of golf so far this year and enjoy two or three every time I'm out.  The age on my box of Liga #9's is working well for the cigars;  I'll have to try to not smoke them all before the end of the summer. 

Most notable was a Cohiba Behike I had with a friend on his last week at work. 

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #262 on: July 07, 2014, 11:32:18 am »
Bumping this up. Anyone enjoying the weather with cigars?

I turned to a tobacco pipe. 

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #263 on: July 07, 2014, 11:44:01 am »
I turned to a tobacco pipe. 

Funny you say that. I found my grandpa's old Brigham three dot and restored it recently. I have a couple tobbaco's that I've been running through it.

Maybe a change in title is needed for this thread.

What's the pipe your smoking?

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #264 on: July 07, 2014, 02:39:22 pm »
What's the pipe your smoking?

I have a Brigham that I recently purchased to replace my old Brigham which was stolen.  I think it's a heritage collection pipe but I don't recall the shape code off hand. 

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
« Reply #265 on: July 07, 2014, 09:43:06 pm »
do i smell a cigar sundays meet coming up?

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2014, 11:07:58 pm »
Heck of a good idea.  I also belong to the Calgary area Cigar Aficionados group as well.  There are regular herfs scheduled through there too.

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
« Reply #267 on: July 07, 2014, 11:21:28 pm »
id be interested in getting into that, considering i only grab cigars once a year for our staff gala

Offline Unoriginalusername

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2010 Subaru WRX STi
« Reply #268 on: July 08, 2014, 12:28:08 am »
let me know if you guys are gonna do a meet! would love to drive down to calgary.

My Fav combo right now CAO Sol Lot 54, with a glass of Port.

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #269 on: July 10, 2014, 06:24:47 pm »
It's been quite a while since I've taken the time to sit down and enjoy a cigar, so I brought a few along to Ontario to visit the GF's fam.  Currently smoking a Nestor Miranda Art Deco.  A couple of my favourite's are the CAO MX2 and Rocky Patel EDGE. 

Offline twobigdogs

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #270 on: July 18, 2014, 07:38:28 am »
Just smoked an H Uppman Connoisseur A last night, what a nice smoke it was.... Draw wasn't as nice as the Romeo Y Jullietta Short Churchills I have been smoking as of late but found a nice alternative that I will enjoy smoking again

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #271 on: October 14, 2014, 09:40:36 am »
I'm not sure if everyone here saw my post,  but I have a Humidor up for sale in the "everything else" section.  I may be able to sweeten the deal with one of my favourite sticks for a WSC member.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #272 on: January 06, 2015, 10:18:37 am »
The cold weather has been making it rough to get out and enjoy any sticks here in Calgary.  Over the holiday though,  I managed to get out and enjoy the pipe while at Emerald Lake Lodge in BC.  I know this is a thread dedicated to the cigar but as brothers and sisters of the leaf,  I figure some pipe talk is acceptable too.

I recently restored my grandfathers 50-60 year old Brigham pipe,  and started taking up pipe tobacco.  I have a few pipes now including the Rattray's Butcher Boy,  and my favourite,  the Vauen Caro 2.  The latter two were received around Christmas though,  and haven't even had a bowl run through them.  All the pipes use a filter system to control the tar, nicotine, and moisture from the tobacco.  The Brigham uses a Rock Maple filter (They were the very first company to implement a filter system),  and the other two a more standard 9mm carbon filter.  Hopefully the weather will be warmer tomorrow and I'll get out for a bowl with one of the new pipes.

The tobacco is relatively cheap compared to cigars,  and I always go for an aromatic tobacco.  I find it less offensive to those that may be around me (I'm always a considerate smoker though) and even find I get compliments on the approachable "room smell" that the aromatics create. Peterson's 2014 Christmas blend,  and Sweet Cherry blended with Black Cherry have been a couple of my favorites recently. 

Vauen Caro 2

Rattray Butcher Boy (mine is the polished finish,  not the sandblasted that is pictured below)

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #273 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:48 am »
The tobacco is relatively cheap compared to cigars,  and I always go for an aromatic tobacco.

Aromatic pipe tobacco is usually my first choice as everyone seems to love the smell.  Brighams afternoon delight is currently what I'm smoking. 

Have you purchased any tinned tobacco yet?  I'm going to pick up a tin of frog morton next time I get I go to Whyte.

Offline jackal

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #274 on: January 09, 2015, 11:19:36 am »
Aromatic pipe tobacco is usually my first choice as everyone seems to love the smell.  Brighams afternoon delight is currently what I'm smoking. 

Have you purchased any tinned tobacco yet?  I'm going to pick up a tin of frog morton next time I get I go to Whyte.

I have a couple tinned tobacco's.  The Peterson's is tinned,  and I have another brand that I can't think of at the moment,  that has a great Apple flavour to it.  I usually like to buy loose tobacco though.  I have mason jars that I put all my pipe tobacco in,  and then keep the jars in the humidor to keep them out of the way.  I'v found I can keep the tobacco fresh and moist almost indefinitely this way,  and the cigars don't acquire the pipe smell.

I assume you go to Burlington's on Whyte?  Last time I was in there was a great experience,  although it was forever ago. What pipes do you have?

Since I posted I managed to run my first bowl through the Caro 2.  It's a huge difference from my Grandfathers estate pipe.  The filtering is amazing,  and the flavour was much more potent than through the Brigham.  The smoke through the Caro filter was much lighter and I could feel there was less to it.  More like using an E-hooka.  The experience on the whole was better than with Grandpa's pipe.  If the weather smartens up this weekend I'll run my first bowl through the Butchers Boy and see how the two first bowls stack up against each other.