Author Topic: HowTo: Install TiC Trans Crossmember bushings on 08+ WRX  (Read 3333 times)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
HowTo: Install TiC Trans Crossmember bushings on 08+ WRX
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »
There are other guides out there, but why not do my own?
This mod was done on my 08 WRX, however, this should roughly match the install for 08+ STi and the 02-07 with the exception of an extra spacer for the 08+ models.

Required implements of destruction:
TiC bushings: http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_481_499_1249&products_id=310
Ramps or jackstands
floor jack
14mm deep socket
music
17mm deep socket, or extension with regular 17mm
Torque wrench (with 14mm and 17mm sockets to fit)
A garage with closed soundproof doors to protect the dear children's ears
lithium grease
flathead screwdriver

Note: All pictures in this guide are clickable for full size version.
Note: I am not responsible for you killing yourself, either due to the actions (and consequences) of this mod, or any other action in life that causes your cessation of life or anyone else's.

Now today, class, we will be installing TiC's Transmission Crossmember Bushings.

Make your choice here. Either jack up the car on stands, or put the car up on ramps.
I had mine on stands for this mod as I was also rotating the wheels.

According to Subaru, this is what you will be working on:

In real life, you will be looking for this:
Viewed from the front of the car

Viewed from the drivers side

You will be removing the transmission support, so put your floor jack under the trans to support it.

Crawl under, and undo the bolts required.
I did it in the following order:

First, the front support bolts. 1x17mm on each side. You can see the drivers side here on the left edge of the picture. (Undo the bolts on both sides)
Note: You'll also be undoing the nuts in the center, but not quite yet.
Note squared: You can see the black bushing here. You will be replacing this.

Next, the rear bolts. 2x14mm beside each other. The two close together in this pic.
Note: You can see the rear bushing you will also be replacing.

The only thing holding up the support now are the two nuts from the transmission mount. (Middle of the member)
Undo these nuts. 2x14mm. Use some common sense here, and support it so that it doesn't fall on your head when you get the last nut off.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: HowTo: Install TiC Trans Crossmember bushings on 08+ WRX
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:44:34 pm »
You should now have this.
As viewed from above, as if it was on the car.

Flipped over, viewed from bottom, as if you were under the car looking up.

Here is the bushing between the front support and the crossmember.

Undo the two bolts from the above pic.
You'll have this, after you "peel" it off of the crossmember.

Note: there is a bushing that goes on the other side as well. You'll have two black bushings, I just didn't get a pic of both.

Take the bushing off of the bracket, you'll have a bushing with 2 sleeves.

FYI, the difference:

Take the sleeves out.

Put them into the TiC bushing.

Spray both sides of both bushings with white lithium grease. This will reduce/eliminate a rubber "squeak" when stress is put onto the bushings and they torque against each other.
It will go together like this. Notice the nibs that fit together on opposite sides.

Put the bracket in, and bolt the front support onto the crossmember, reversing the order you took them apart in.

You can torque the nuts at this point if you want to, or you can just snug them and torque them once the whole contraption is back on the car. They torque to 51.6ft-lbs, as per the diagram at the bottom of this install.

Now for the rear bushing.

Since you already have the bolts out (they bolt into welded nuts on the rear support that is still attached to the car) you should just have to peel the stock bushings off.

Notice that the plate on the bottom bushing has a lip to it. Remember that the lip points down when you put it back on.

Also notice the reason that TiC includes a spacer in it's kits now for the 08+ models. The top bushing is where the spacer goes.

These bushings also have the sleeves.
Put the sleeves into the new bushings.
Spray white lithium grease onto both sides of both bushings, and both sides of the spacer.
You won't really be able to "install" these until you get back under the car, since the bolts that holds these bushings on goes into the rear support, which again, is still attached to the car.
The sleeves might hold them together well enough.

Don't forget the spacer on the top bushing. It just "sits" on top. It does not go between the nibbed bushings and the crossmember.

Also remember that the lip on the bracket faces down.

Slide the contraption back under the car, and plug it all back in.
I did it in the following order: (No pics, just do it and stop being a panzy)
Maneuver the front support back over the downpipe. Line up the studs from the transmission support, and push the crossmember up. Turn the nuts as far as you can while holding the crossmember up.
Don't tighten them completely, as you'll need to maneuver the whole jumble to line up with the front and rear support bolt holes.
Now the front 17mm bolts. Leave a thread or two, so that you can still maneuver the rear bits to line up.
Finally, the rear 14mm bolts.

Be very careful with all of these bolts. They have a tendency to crossthread and strip. About a half dozen people on 3gwrx, and myself, have stripped bolts here. Don't do it. It's a pain in the assay.

That being said, here are the torques:
17mm front: 103.3ft-lbs
14mm rear and 14mm fronts: 51.6ft-lbs
14mm nuts on trans mount: 25.8ft-lbs (hand tight)

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
  • Ride: 09 WRX 265
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:58:26 am »
Nice write up cam.  What have you observed with the cars operation since installing these? if anything: was it worth the price tag of the bushings? (Even though they are relatively inexpensive)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:16 am »
I'll have to give it a few more days to do a real review. Since I don't drive the car every day, and this past weekend was crappy weather, I haven't put the car through it's paces yet. I don't even think an autox would give the full story, since there is only 1 shift (1-2) at that type of event.

The idea of the bushings is to give you a more precise shift gate-to-gate. Many reviews that I've read said that anyone who regularly misshifted from 2-3 had these bushings fix the problem.
I believe they work in conjunction with a transmission mount (I also have the upgraded GroupN) to prevent the torque twist that happens during fast hard shifts.

I've also read that they help with launches, but I don't really see how since you aren't shifting during a launch. You shift after a launch. Maybe someone else can explain that.

What I can tell you, is that it does increase the noise level of transmission whine.
It probably wouldn't be as bad if these were the only bushings you did. However, I also have the groupN trans mount, kartboy shifter bushings, and short shifter. (which requires the removal of the sound dampening foam and rubber boot around the shifter)
All of this together just amplifies it.
I'm ok with it, as I like to hear the noise of the car (provided all the noises are good)

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:50:07 am »
I've also read that they help with launches, but I don't really see how since you aren't shifting during a launch. You shift after a launch. Maybe someone else can explain that.

Less windup in the drivetrain = more power being more abruptly applied to the tires.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:52:41 am »
When I did this to my 04, I have no fun.. No fun at all.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:59:30 pm »
at some point I'd love to take your car for a quick rip around the block to see if i like the changes you've made with regard to stiffer bushings. 

One of the things i dislike about my car is that if i want to give'r, i cant shift as fast as i'd like to due to having to wait for everything to realign (i assume).  If you have eliminated this via various bushings, then i'd likely follow suit.

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:31:24 pm »
I have the kartboy version of these with the group-n transmission mount as well that i installed last year, i didnt notice much of a difference besides increased noise and vibes, maybe casue i was still on stock hp/tq.

I suck and I did manage to strip one of the threads on the rear crossmember (#6 on the transmission mounting diagram) as well as break off two bolts holding a rubber dampening peice!!! as a result im using a non oem nut and bolt to hold in the center crossmember until i can buy that piece used from a part-out.

One of the things i dislike about my car is that if i want to give'r, i cant shift as fast as i'd like to due to having to wait for everything to realign (i assume).  If you have eliminated this via various bushings, then i'd likely follow suit.

I was also trying to get rid of the driveline slop last year installed a bunch of harder bushings and they do help a little bit, but THESE i installed a month ago made the most difference to reducing the driveline slop:
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_484_1185&products_id=17

2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 02:26:44 pm »
if i go nuts and spend a few hundred bucks only to have the issue only slightly better - it will have been wasted money. 

I'd love to drive someones car who has all these mods to see if the problem IS fixed enough for my liking.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 02:47:25 pm »
I was also trying to get rid of the driveline slop last year installed a bunch of harder bushings and they do help a little bit, but THESE i installed a month ago made the most difference to reducing the driveline slop:
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_484_1185&products_id=17

Just so no one gets confused, it does not directly say that these will work on the 08+.
I think they will, but they are an entirely different procedure for install than these:
http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_481_499_1249&products_id=629

Inserts vs. replacements.

I have the whiteline inserts, which are also a good noticeable upgrade, but can be saved for a thread dedicated to those types of bushings.

if i go nuts and spend a few hundred bucks only to have the issue only slightly better - it will have been wasted money. 

Here's what I have to say about this, from my experience of having done almost every driveline bushing on the car:
Each of them individually will make perhaps a slight noticeable difference. Some more than others.
However, everything together? Completely worth it.
That's the thing with driveline bushings. You replace one set, and then look further down the line for the next set to replace. Replacing ONE set of bushings will just move the slop to the next element.

I replaced the trans mount. Where did the slop go? These crossmember bushings. Where will it go next? Rear diff bushings. Where will it go next? Rear diff mount bushing. Where will it go next? Rear subframe bushings.
Doing one set will get you "minor" noticeable results.
Doing them all? Win.

Driving someone elses car (like mine with almost everything replaced) will not tell you what these specific trans crossmember bushings can do for you, because I have all the other related bushings changed as well.
So if you get in my car, drive the balls off it, and say "wow, I like that", then it won't be the 40 bucks for crossmember bushings that will satisfy you.
It will be the trans mount + shifter bushings + crossmember bushings + rear diff bushings + rear diff support bushings (nevermind the swaybars and koni inserts)

Offline soulvaccination

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '09 stg 2 non-flared fail-wagon
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 03:02:12 pm »
I completely agree with you Snackers. 

Driveline and suspension upgrades are a slippery slope, and once on it you can't quit until you've replaced every piece of soft rubber you can find in exchange for something that doesn't have as much give in it.

I do notice more overall noises and better overall drivability, but I can't pinpoint one thing over another as being "the one to get".

If I had to pick with a gun to my head I'd say do the shortshifter, then all the shifter bushings.  Then if you want to go further change the tranny/engine/diff mounts, then all the bushings.  Just try to stop when you think you can't spend any more money. ;)

Once you're done with the bushings/drivetrain slop issue you'll notice all kind of suspension quirks, leading you to play with springs/struts/coilovers/camber/caster, etc, etc, etc.  The fun never stops, but that is part of the fun of owning these cars, right?

"Throttle fixes everything.  Left-foot braking fixes everything the throttle doesn't fix, including impotence and poor self-esteem.  Banging off a rev limiter while looking out a car's side window and slamming into a steering stop will cure cancer."

-Sam Smith (Jalopnik writer)

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 03:05:50 pm »
I do notice more overall noises and better overall drivability, but I can't pinpoint one thing over another as being "the one to get".

If I had to pick with a gun to my head I'd say do the shortshifter, then all the shifter bushings.  Then if you want to go further change the tranny/engine/diff mounts, then all the bushings.  Just try to stop when you think you can't spend any more money. ;)

This, but without the short shifter.
A short shifter is a "nice to have", but the bushings would have a more desirable result.
It will give you a shorter throw between shifts (obviously) but will not improve the "feel" of the shift.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 03:07:36 pm »
What about the shifter bushings?

The only bushings I believe I have left to replace are the Group N tranny mount and the Group N engine mounts.. Need to track down some local ones ;)
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »
What about the shifter bushings?

A short shifter is a "nice to have", but the bushings would have a more desirable result.

Sorry, I'll specify.
Shifter bushings.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 03:31:12 pm »
Driving someone elses car (like mine with almost everything replaced) will not tell you what these specific trans crossmember bushings can do for you, because I have all the other related bushings changed as well.
So if you get in my car, drive the balls off it, and say "wow, I like that", then it won't be the 40 bucks for crossmember bushings that will satisfy you.
It will be the trans mount + shifter bushings + crossmember bushings + rear diff bushings + rear diff support bushings (nevermind the swaybars and koni inserts)

sorry, i was implying that with ALL the bushing upgrades you've done - i'd like to see how it all comes together (short shifter and everything).  If i like how your car drives, i'd go and buy everything.    I wasn't under the impression that these crossmember bushings, alone, would fix the issue.

If i can go out and buy a bunch of bushings/mounts for everything i can think of related to the driveline, and what im left with is the same issue only maybe 50% as bad as it was before, but with a bunch more NVH - it will have been a failure in my mind. This is why i'd like to find someone who has most, if not everything, swapped out bushings wise and i'd like to try their car out for a couple mins.  If the end result is something i like, I'll definitely start working towards it.  Snacker's car just happens to be the closest thing to what my car might be like if i were to go ahead and swap everything: which is why i'd like to try his car out.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 03:52:02 pm »
sorry, i was implying that with ALL the bushing upgrades you've done - i'd like to see how it all comes together (short shifter and everything).  If i like how your car drives, i'd go and buy everything.    I wasn't under the impression that these crossmember bushings, alone, would fix the issue.

Ahh ok, I thought you were just referring to the one set of bushings.

Then a run in a car with everything done may help you for a "final goal".
That being said... even if you buy all the bushings at once, I would still install them one at a time (depending on which ones. Some are quite beneficial to do together in terms of accessibility) and then notice the differences.
You can do them all at once, but then you aren't really learning the components of your car and how they affect other things.

If that's ok (understandable, sometimes people want to see huge changes otherwise they feel the money/time wasn't worth it) then install them all at once.
You might find tho, that just doing shifter bushings are enough.
Or maybe shifter bushings and trans mount.
Or maybe just diff and subframe bushings.
The possibilities are endless.

Offline AdamMc

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Skids..
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »
If i see that the end goal is somewhere i want to be, then i'd start buying things in stages for sure.  The main reason being: i cant afford to buy everything all at once, (although i havnt priced it out).

I'd start with the shifter/bushings and work my way back for sure.  But i just need to know that i wont be disappointed at the end.

Offline Canuck

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 04:40:20 pm »
I can't pinpoint one thing over another as being "the one to get".

Kartboy pitch stop for me.  Added the most NVH, but hands-down improved drivability more than any other drivetrain mods.