Author Topic: Audiophiles: what PMP are you using?  (Read 2740 times)

stefan

Audiophiles: what PMP are you using?
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:05:56 am »
Hey guys; My Samsung P2 has officially died, so I'm in the market.  For all the true audiophiles out there, what are you rocking for a personal media player? 

I'm looking for something with a decent amp, supports FLAC, user-configurable EQ (not presets), etc.. Not interested whatsoever in an ipod.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: Audiophiles: what PMP are you using?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:21:33 am »
Lol, audiophile and ipod don't generally go together.  Coworker bought a Cowon, but personally haven't had experience with it.

I've got an older Archos 605 media player, it does all you want, just that the interface is about the same as old versions of WinAMP.  In other words, no multitasking - to get to the EQ your music will stop, change window, flick a few EQ settings, then quit, then go back to unpause your tunes.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

stefan

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 02:25:40 pm »
I was looking at the J3.. very nice..  Sounds the SQ?

stefan

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:47:50 pm »
$210 at newegg.ca for 8gb. Makes sense when SDHC is cheaper than going for the extra 8gb built-in. Purchased.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »
He's got the S9.  Stefan - which did you order?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

stefan

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »
J3 for the SDHC slot. (Dealextreme has cheap cards)

stefan

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:31:50 pm »
Yeah pretty excited.. awesome feature list.  Didn't even realize. It's been a LONG time since I looked at Cowon.

stefan

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:28:26 pm »
Some updated on this.. The J3 is the best MP3 player I've ever used without a headphone amp. It's pretty stellar. Although cheesily named, the Mach3Bass is pretty good at giving a refined bass boost.  The SDHC card capability is excellent and simple.  One thing to note is that macs will kill this device due to .Trashes and .spotlightv100 folders and the other weird crap it puts onto the drive.

Offline Prelude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Black WRX Sedan "B-Rex"
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:18 am »
How is Cowon files system, i am using a macbook pro 13" and i am tried of itunes. i just want to know how to upload music to the player

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 11:26:38 am »
prelude,

download winamp. it will copy music to an iPOD without itunes. (edit: though I don't know if it's MAC compatible.)

...it's how mine goes. In fact, I don't have itunes installed anywhere.

stefan

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:10:30 pm »
For Cowon it's just a mass storage device.. so drag and drop.  Don't use Mac OS though, use Windows or you will near-brick it. You'll have to format it in Windows to revive it.  The other option is to install Blue Harvest on OSX which will prevent the invisible .Trashes and DS_Store folders from being created.