Author Topic: Road bike + my bike  (Read 1411 times)

edicius

Road bike + my bike
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:40:45 pm »
Hey guys, i've been a freeride/urban rider for years but I am starting to loose interest in it and I would like to focus more on road riding. The problem is that i've been focused on the mtb scene and have no idea where to go on a road bike so i'd like some help in this. The best thing is that i'm not picky, after riding some heavy beasts around i'm not afraid of a little weight but I don't want a cow. Lots of gears would be nice, as I have been riding single speed for years and since i've moved the 69th st hill kills me every day. So please enlighten me and point me in the right direction.

Pics of the current rig with my most recent rebuild.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Re: Road bike + my bike
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:23 pm »
How tall are you?  I'm getting rid of my road bike in favor of a cross bike.  I find I'm just not riding the road bike as much as I thought I would be..  always find myself off the pavement somehow.

Anyways, if you're dead set on it, a road bike is pure awesomeness..  the geo is a bit cramped and no suspension means you feel every crack and bump.  Reason I'm looking at a cross is because I can put slicks on it when I want to go road riding, and use knobbies when I want to do some light trailriding.

For heavy trail, I've got my dedicated AM rig, which is good 'nuff.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline SulfurLad

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • now, 20% more!
    • Azzurriffopubijix
  • Ride: 08 WRB STI + many bicycles
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:29:04 pm »
Some quick notes:
- fit is important, try lots of bikes.  Get the one you want fit properly.
- you'll get lots of gears.  :)  You've had a single speed for years.  If you'd been a mountain biker with gears, I'd say go for a triple-chainset up front, as it'd be more familiar territory to traditional MTB gearing strategies, but given your ride, you could go double or triple quite happily, I'd imagine.  I went triple.  The gearing strategy made more sense in my head, and the sissy in me appreciates having a granny gear.
- steel = making a comeback, not as harsh as Aluminum.  Also (correct me if I'm wrong, someone), more expensive.  Bit of a niche item.
- Aluminum = cheaper, harsher ride.
- Carbon = more expensive, more forgiving ride.
- Get at least a carbon fork.
- Combination frames might be a cost effective way of getting a carbon rear triangle, and still aluminum front end.
- finally, fit is important.  :)
- cool colours are important too, because they make you faster.
- fit is important.  :D
- good road shoes, stiff sole, very important.  Over long distance and time, comfort and dispersing pressure appropriately makes a big difference.
- Careful with saddle choice, see previous note.  :)

FWIW, I have an aluminum frame with a carbon fork, and it's a great ride.  Just get out and ride a few different bikes to compare, see how they feel.  That's my 2 cents.
throw a rock in the air and you'll hit someone guilty

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:47:27 pm »
Wow, so much detail so quickly.

Obviously you don't ride crap and have an idea what's what.  No noob buys Chris King and XT.

Are you looking for a proper road bike (long distance, high speed, spandex) or are you looking for something to ride around town on the pavement?  If you're looking to get a proper road bike (a cross bike works too) I'd say nothing lower than Shimano 105 and if you can swing it go Ultegra.  Spec and kit on road bikes is way easier (no suspension, fewer levels, etc).  There's crap out there for bars/stems/posts/etc (BBB) but it seems like you know how to tell based on your current ride.

There's some good value to be had in big brand bikes (Trek, Specialized, etc) and you can spend a mint on exclusive brands (sound familiar).  I suggest going and talking to some shops, looking at some stuff and coming back to us for advice.  For all you know a Kona PhD might be up your alley or you might fall in love with a Masi.

One thing for sure is that the road is great :D
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

edicius

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:47:08 pm »
All good replys, thank you everyone for the info I think i'll be making a trip to bow on sunday for a fit.

No I don't like riding crap, I understand the value or a good part (see above build :p). In all honesty on that bike I have never broken anything major (worn out bb bearings thats it) and I built it 5 years ago. I broke parts on my old bikes and hated it because it sets you back so much in time and money so why not just to the right thing off the bat.  That being said though I know that you don't need the most expensive things in the world to make something work well.

To clarify a few things, I am 6" with longer legs, I would like to ride distance (I plan on doing the golden triangle with my dad next year) and I plan on using it to commute to work but I dont mind putting on the dorky shoes to do so.

edicius

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:20:30 am »
So I finally found a bike, 2006 Norco CRR SL. The guy picked up a new bike and swapped a few things over, like the wheels and seat but still decent enough for me, plus I picked it up for $750 so I can't complain.

carbon fibre seat stays and fork, ultegra brakes, shimano 105 drivetrain, fulcrum racing wheels, yadda yadda.
Rides like a dream and i'm definitely happy to have gears again.