Author Topic: Ethanol blend 94 octane  (Read 7379 times)

Offline veloce

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 06 Legacy GT LTD 5EAT Stg 2 - 07 Impreza SE
Ethanol blend 94 octane
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:53:51 pm »
I would like to know how many of you have been using ethanol blended fuels and have accumulated some 40-50,000 kilometres without any adverse effects to your engine or tune.
I am planning to go stage 2 soon and would like to get a tune/map for 94 octane and the only fuels available here in Alberta with that rating are ethanol blended.
Your comments and thoughts are much appreciated.
Subaru Uber Alles

Offline Waller

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
Re: Ethanol blend 94 octane
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:49 pm »
I've been running 94 for almost 100,000 km's. 90% of that from Husky. The only time I use anything else is when I am traveling. The only problems I've had with my car I've caused my self. This has been talked about many times on this forum. Husky gas is fine.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=9742.msg145537#msg145537

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:52:17 am »
This has been talked about many times on this forum.

Please search.
Husky, 94 octane, ethanol.

Offline turbolag

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: VF tified 07 , 4B11T
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:37:18 am »
I would like to know how many of you have been using ethanol blended fuels and have accumulated some 40-50,000 kilometres without any adverse effects to your engine or tune.
I am planning to go stage 2 soon and would like to get a tune/map for 94 octane and the only fuels available here in Alberta with that rating are ethanol blended.
Your comments and thoughts are much appreciated.

Husky 94 on my car too, no problem so far so good.  My car is olso modified. >:D

Offline veloce

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:07 am »
I am not stupid - I did search and there is nothing related to long term effects.

Please search.
Husky, 94 octane, ethanol.
Subaru Uber Alles

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 12:40:25 pm »
Is if you can't find any info on long term effects, and we have talked to death on the boards about the subject, and there is a lot of people running it what conclusion can you make from this?  Perhaps there is no long term effects.  If there were threads about its effects then there might just be a problem long term.

Offline veloce

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:07:58 pm »
Oh I can conclude a few things - one is uncertainty.
What do you conclude when you read this ?

A selection of octane levels to suit your needs

* Octane 87. Regular with ethanol (SK, MB & some parts of BC)
    * Octane 89. Mid-grade blended with premium (Ontario only)
    * Octane 90. Mid-grade blended with ethanol, for the same price as 87 (Alberta and some parts of BC only)
    * Octane 91. Premium - no ethanol (Ontario only)
    * Octane 92. Premium, blended with ethanol (BC, AB, SK & MB)
    * Octane 94. Premium Plus, the highest octane fuel available (BC, AB, SK & MB)

Is if you can't find any info on long term effects, and we have talked to death on the boards about the subject, and there is a lot of people running it what conclusion can you make from this?  Perhaps there is no long term effects.  If there were threads about its effects then there might just be a problem long term.
Subaru Uber Alles

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:01:01 pm »
88,000 km and counting in Husky/Mohawk ethanol blend 94 oct. I am tuned for 91 but I use the Husky 94 70% of the time. I would do it all again without hesitation.

Offline bigbadboss101

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2008 MDX
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
Hey Xrayvsn, do you find Husky 94 works better than Shell 91 for you?  On your car Shell would give better mileage though?
I assume you tuned for 91 instead of 93 just to be safe in case you can't find 91+ gas?

Offline Waller

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:26:10 pm »
The only problem I have seen with ethanol 94 is the horrible milage. I averaged 50 more km's on 91 when I used it.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 07:51:42 pm »
The only problem I have seen with ethanol 94 is the horrible milage.

Along with this, my fuel gauge doesn't read properly at all. When I fill up, the gauge only reads 3/4th's and goes pretty much at random levels throughout the tank. I ran Chevron 94 for a month this summer, with roughly 10-15 full tanks and never once did my fuel gauge show inaccurate readings. In short, Husky 94 is poo, but it's all we have.

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »
Along with this, my fuel gauge doesn't read properly at all. When I fill up, the gauge only reads 3/4th's and goes pretty much at random levels throughout the tank. I ran Chevron 94 for a month this summer, with roughly 10-15 full tanks and never once did my fuel gauge show inaccurate readings. In short, Husky 94 is poo, but it's all we have.

+1 Chevron 94 is great.

I use Husky 94 in all my cars, have for about 4 years.  I have put well over 100,000 km's no issues, and I will continue to.  If I stopped? Ryan would kill me as he tuned me for 94 haha

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 11:53:43 pm »

I tend to hop and jump between Husky 94 and Shell 91 for this reason.. I'll occasionally get knock on 91 (Safeway/Coop/Petro, and I've already talked to Sunny re: this), so I'll try and use Husky more, but the Shell 91 will give me much better mileage, and my gauge will show properly.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 06:37:54 am »
I ran Chevron 94 for a month this summer, with roughly 10-15 full tanks and never once did my fuel gauge show inaccurate readings.

After making the switch to Chevron, how long did it take for your gauge to show accurate readings?  I run Husky and am accurate...for now.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 10:27:03 pm »
After making the switch to Chevron, how long did it take for your gauge to show accurate readings?  I run Husky and am accurate...for now.

Second tank on Chevy was accurate.

Offline veloce

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »
100,000 km per vehicle or 100,000 for a combined four? 

I use Husky 94 in all my cars, have for about 4 years.  I have put well over 100,000 km's no issues, and I will continue to.  If I stopped? Ryan would kill me as he tuned me for 94 haha
[/quote]
Subaru Uber Alles

Offline 07WRX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX Limited, RM Slayer 50, Specialized Tarmac Comp
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »

Funny you mentioned this. I found my guage to be accurate and consistent on H94 until I switched to the sti guage cluster. Now I am experiencing the same problem as you described. One tank was so bad I thought "Holy itshay either my tune is completely uckfayed or I have a gas leak." I since have come to suspect the guage.
Havoc The Cold Lake WRX Undertaking

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 04:08:53 pm »
Funny you mentioned this. I found my guage to be accurate and consistent on H94 until I switched to the sti guage cluster. Now I am experiencing the same problem as you described. One tank was so bad I thought "Holy itshay either my tune is completely uckfayed or I have a gas leak." I since have come to suspect the guage.

I had this problem. Ran 2 tanks of Shell 91 through my car, then back to Husky 94. Gauge works fine now.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline smrt_ass_engr

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 12' Audi S4, 99' 2.5RS
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 11:50:53 am »
I tend to hop and jump between Husky 94 and Shell 91 for this reason.. I'll occasionally get knock on 91 (Safeway/Coop/Petro, and I've already talked to Sunny re: this), so I'll try and use Husky more, but the Shell 91 will give me much better mileage, and my gauge will show properly.

well im glad im not the only one with a problem like this.  With all this talk about Husky 94 i decided to try it and 92 too see if there was any difference.  I noticed next to no changes in the way the car ran other than the fact i got almost 100kms less on the same amount of gas driving in the city.  I normally run Esso 91, mainly because it is one of the most purest gasoline's out there and has next to no additives, allowing for a much cleaner burning fuel, unlike petro and shell.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:52:31 am »
well im glad im not the only one with a problem like this.  With all this talk about Husky 94 i decided to try it and 92 too see if there was any difference.  I noticed next to no changes in the way the car ran other than the fact i got almost 100kms less on the same amount of gas driving in the city.  I normally run Esso 91, mainly because it is one of the most purest gasoline's out there and has next to no additives, allowing for a much cleaner burning fuel, unlike petro and shell.

It also ranked lower than both Husky and Shell when Sunny did a comparison, just an fyi.

Offline smrt_ass_engr

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 11:56:54 am »

It also ranked lower than both Husky and Shell when Sunny did a comparison, just an fyi.

lol well thats news to me. 
i was told about esso from my friends dad, who uses esso 91 to fuel up his 800hp GTR and found that this fuel runs the best for his setup because of the lack of additives.  I guess every engine setup is different. 

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 12:02:37 pm »
lol well thats news to me. 
i was told about esso from my friends dad, who uses esso 91 to fuel up his 800hp GTR and found that this fuel runs the best for his setup because of the lack of additives.  I guess every engine setup is different. 

I just go by what my tuner tells me, and I am sure it's the same way for him as well.

Offline jer

• Admin
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 WRX Wagon
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »
sorry, am I missing something? you're using 91/92/94 in an RS (to: smrt_ass_engr)?

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 02:28:08 pm »
I normally run Esso 91, mainly because it is one of the most purest gasoline's out there and has next to no additives, allowing for a much cleaner burning fuel, unlike petro and shell.

Source?

How do you quantify "pure" and "cleaner burning fuel"?

Offline smrt_ass_engr

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 02:36:20 pm »
sorry, am I missing something? you're using 91/92/94 in an RS (to: smrt_ass_engr)?

Yes sir i am.  Im running a SRS-19 from Crawford which is tuned for 91 octane.  Oddly enough from Esso, Shell, Petro and Husky i get the most consistant and best fuel economy with Esso fuel by about 30-50kms a tank all city driving.  With this i really wasnt too focused on the performance aspect of the fuel, just really how long i could go on each tank.  It works best for me and my setup so why not keep using it. 

and my source for esso isnt too great but from my friends father is a experience engineer, mechanical i believe but has contracted for many years in the oil and gas business.  same guy who owns the GTR.