Author Topic: Reccommended Hiking Trails In Banff  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Heliandy

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Subyless
Reccommended Hiking Trails In Banff
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:10 pm »
I'm heading to Banff at the end of September to go hiking and am looking for some suggestions on good trails for day hikes.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: Reccommended Hiking Trails In Banff
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:16 pm »
Day hikes, backpacking, easy, hard? I need some more info before making any recommendations.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Heliandy

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Subyless
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:00:36 pm »
Easy to moderate day hikes.

Offline jsn

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STi
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:54:56 pm »
a friend and I hiked up Heart mountain (just before canmore) and did a ridge walk along the top before comming down on the other side of the valley.  Amazing views from the top.  I'm a begginer when it comes to hiking so my legs were killing me when I was Hiking up the mountain.  I had to take a nice long break at the top and quite a few inbetween.  Can't go back down the same way you go up because it gets steep at some points, so you pretty much have to do the ridge walk and go back down on a gentler sloping side of another mountain.  It took me and my friend about 6 hours because I kept slowing him down.  It's not easy but I think it's rated at moderate.  Here's a picture of part of the ridgewalk we did once we were at the top.

I also like hiking up Dura creek near exshaw which was pretty easy, but you need decent hikers because there's a lot of lose rocks.  Relatively flat though.  Depending on how long you want to hike for, you can go up as far as you want because you come back the same way. 

These aren't quite in Banff.  They're closer to Canmore.   

Online Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »
Hart is good as are Chester, Kidd and China Man's peak (I can't spell it's politically correct name). Hell, even Sulfur mountain (right by the Banff hot springs) is decent.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:36:47 am »
Hart is good as are Chester, Kidd and China Man's peak (I can't spell it's politically correct name). Hell, even Sulfur mountain (right by the Banff hot springs) is decent.

ha ling, kidd, fortress, etc.  Go buy the "Scrambles of the canadian rockys" book from mec and then choose the easy or easy/moderate ones :)

Sean

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:44:47 am »
ha ling, kidd, fortress, etc.  Go buy the "Scrambles of the canadian rockys" book from mec and then choose the easy or easy/moderate ones :)

Thank you. I did not know this existed. I have the Canadian Rockies Backroap Mapbook, that's it.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:10:21 am »
I also like this website (trailpeak.com).

They have a pretty good search feature, whether you are looking for a specific trail, or don't know where to start. They have a lot of GPS info (I've never used it), maps, descriptions, and directions on how to get to the trail head. Very useful!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr