Author Topic: Boarder turned/turning Skier?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 DGM STi
Boarder turned/turning Skier?
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:14:32 pm »
As subject say's, does this relate to anyone?  Thoughts, experience, sure it's subjective, just interested.....
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

jaymzee

Re: Boarder turned/turning Skier?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »
I'm actually thinking of going back to skiing this winter too... I just need to decide if I want to shell out the cash for skis or get a second season out of my board.

Offline Jaycubzz

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Jeep
Boarder turned/turning Skier?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »
Man all my friends are going back into freeskiing.  Its a little depressing but i can see why.  Being 16/17, an already sniwboarded for 5+ years straight, it would be good to mix things up, especially with all of our youthful vigour.

Offline Guglianoh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Benson B20 Turbo EK/2012 Kawasaki ER6N
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:29 pm »
DO IT! Snowboarding is such a fad, I tried it a few years ago and decided it wasn't for me. Ive been skiing 4 years now and I'll never go back! I still catch itshay from my boarding friends but I don't care anymore I enjoy it and the one thing I hated the most was always having to get off the lift sit down and do up my bindings.
Horse Power is a lot like sex, you can never get enough!

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=27931.0

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:33:29 pm »
DO IT! Snowboarding is such a fad, I tried it a few years ago and decided it wasn't for me. Ive been skiing 4 years now and I'll never go back! I still catch itshay from my boarding friends but I don't care anymore I enjoy it and the one thing I hated the most was always having to get off the lift sit down and do up my bindings.

Wrong. But I digress.

Do whatever makes you happy. I love my snowboard. I'm comfortable on it and can shred hard. I can't ski at the same level I can snowboard at, so that's why I snowboard.

I prefer to ride more technical terrain, cliffs, steeps, jumps, etc. and when I started doing that, the snowboard felt much more natural in deep snow and jumping off of stuff. However, you can now get ski's which are much better adapted to deep snow and pow days, but I would imagine they would be a compromise on a groomer or a tracked-out run. I find that the snowboard I ride is great way to enjoy every aspect of the mountain without making any big compromises on performance or fun. But that's just me.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:17:01 pm »
I grew up a skiier and changed to snowboarding when I was about 14. Now more then 10 years later I am much better a boarding then I ever was at skiing, I love the same things as the EDJ and have not found any skiiers that I couldn't hang with.

As for having to sit down, I got Flow bindings and have not had to sit to do them up in years. All you gotta do, even with regular bindings, is dig the heel edge in a bit to stand. Oh well, both are great and I say do whichever one you enjoy more!
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline Guglianoh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Benson B20 Turbo EK/2012 Kawasaki ER6N
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »
I would love o see you guys follow me down a hill filled with moguls that's the only down side I see to snowboarding
Horse Power is a lot like sex, you can never get enough!

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=27931.0

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »
I would love o see you guys follow me down a hill filled with moguls that's the only down side I see to snowboarding

Bring it. :P

But to that end, moguls are just tiring and hard on my knees. Not much fun in my opinion. But I could still keep up :)
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:52:22 pm »
Yep I have done moguls (pushed hard packed power at Kicking horse a coupel years ago with no new snow for two weeks, every hill was moguls) and can do them quite fine. Maybe you expected to be quite good and go down anything right from the get go on a board. It takes a lot of time and practice to get good, just like everything else. Perhaps you were juist meant to be a skiier and had the talet for that.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STi
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:30 pm »

Moguls ROCK (unless they are actually mounds of ice, then they suck)

Offline Tabibito

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • ***gleefully bitter***
  • Ride: 2012 2.0i Sport Wagon, and big white box with blinky lights.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »
I skied for years, and am a much better skier. However, a friend convinced me to try snowboarding two years ago, and I haven't looked back.

I would say moguls are definitely easier on skis. That said, I uckfaying hate moguls. They're slow and they're painful, even on skis. I really do appreciate the level of skill involved in doing them right, but they seem to me as more of a personal challenge, and less about fun. Also, they really mess up the difficulty ratings of the runs. A blue square suddenly becomes a deathtrap because the groomers decided to mogul it that week. Then there's the black diamond that becomes a complete bore when you avoid the moguls. I've always been more about finding interesting and varied terrain than about patterned bumps :P

Skis are safer - you will never convince me otherwise. You have more edge to use, more control, and you have safety bindings. If you're worried about injuries, skis are the way to go. I have never injured myself as badly on skis as I have on a snowboard, even when I was just learning to ski.

I can't put my finger on why, but snowboarding is just a lot more fun for me, even though I feel I'm far more likely to kill myself doing it.
===========
A filthy Subaru is a happy Subaru.

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 DGM STi
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 04:06:12 pm »
even though I feel I'm far more likely to kill myself doing it.

Agreed, shitting your snow pants due to almost catching an edge on that flat back there is quite exhilarating...
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

rith

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »
I've been off/on doing snow sports forever. I'm very much an amateur. But yeah... moguls are lame with a snowboard.

jaymzee

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:30:15 pm »
i like moguls too.... on a board.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:25:21 pm »
snowboarding > skiing

going the wrong direction :P
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:51:56 pm »
If snowboarding is starting to lose it "FAD" vibe try split boarding. I believe that will be the new fad in a few years so you might as well start now and get a heads up on the next gen of 14/15 year olds.

But I concur with the EDJ and shanty I am at a level where I look at a shoot and think I can do this, a couple turn here a drop or two there and ride it out with a fist pump at the end. What I am finding is that I am losing my drive to go to resorts unless it's an epic snow day. Don't get me wrong a crappy day at a resort is better then a nice day in the city. But I think Cat and back country are my calling go forward.

In the end do what makes you happy and contribute that to the global happiness. :)

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 07:46:47 am »
Cat is pretty awesome, but expensive.

I'm buying a splitboard this year.

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:43 pm »
I am going back to skiing this year. I skied from 3-13 then snowboarded from 13-27 and now I want to do either depending on the conditions and who I am going with. I just bought some Marker Dukes last night as I like to do a little slack country here and there.

Hopefully we get a decent snow pack out here this year.

P.S. Did you guys see that Kicking Horse added Super Bowl as in bounds this year?
http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/KHMRSiteAssets/files/press_releases/KHMR_Super_Bowl_Annoucement.pdf

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 01:32:48 pm »
I am going back to skiing this year. I skied from 3-13 then snowboarded from 13-27 and now I want to do either depending on the conditions and who I am going with. I just bought some Marker Dukes last night as I like to do a little slack country here and there.

Hopefully we get a decent snow pack out here this year.

P.S. Did you guys see that Kicking Horse added Super Bowl as in bounds this year?
http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/KHMRSiteAssets/files/press_releases/KHMR_Super_Bowl_Annoucement.pdf

Wicked! I wonder how much of a pain it will be to get over there? Getting across to Terminator Ridge was already a long traverse.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 02:29:35 pm »
They need to do something about the Gondola, you will be lucky to get 2 runs in a day if doing Super Bowl...

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 03:56:56 pm »
I totally agree, although the slow service means it takes longer to ski out the terrain.

And it is just a continuation of the hike to terminator to get you there. No lifts added.

Offline BetaCuts

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Decal slingin' son of a gun
    • BetaCuts custom decals
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 02:45:50 pm »
Interesting to read some of the posts here.  I've been a skier 24 of 28 years and I'm starting to get a bit bored of it (unless the snow is good).  I snowboarded a bit with my "shredder" buddies last year and they definitely have a "different" type of fun.  They get stoked off of the littlest things on a snowboard, whereas on ski's I'm only pumped and enjoying it if the snow is deep or I'm skiing technical terrain. 

So I might snowboard a bit on the low days or when snow ain't so good.  Skiing hard all the time hurts the body.  The type of terrain and attitudes is night and day between my friends who snowboard and ski.  It's cool to see both sides.

Offline solosteve

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 04:32:39 pm »
I skied for 15 years and loved looking for harder and harder terrain and then someone brought a snowboard to one of my ski patrol days.  I was hooked.  Have now done both for 17 years and just seem to ride whatever strikes me that day.

At my age I can't pound straight down through the moguls all day like I did when I was young but do think they are easier on skis.  Powder on a board is heaven and I find less work than skis.  Picked up a few hard boot carving boards the past 5 years for a new challenge when there are only groomers to ride.  It does get expensive keeping up with 3 types of gear but at least I never get bored.  Have even been known to change what I ride midday.

In the end, whatever you enjoy works to get you out.  Bring on the snow.

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 06:50:06 pm »
i skied for about 10 years before switching to boarding for about 10, and now over the past few seasons have been getting back into skiing, but i switch back and forth depending on what i'm feeling like.  i like to bring both sets of gear on my multiday trips in case i find areas of the mountain i want to tackle with either or.

i think it's pretty fun being able to do both, gives you a lot of flexibility and a wider group of people to hit the mountains with.  i would say i'm a lot better at snowboarding than i am at skiing so lately i have been trying to focus on skiing more because it's more of a personal challenge, but i feel like i'm starting to plateau without more mentorship or guidance on skis, i'm finding i have a lot of difficulty managing myself on the tougher terrain.

Offline Dano

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A few
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 04:11:27 pm »
I skied from 2-12, then started boarding, so another 20 years now on a board. Working at a ski area in Colorado for a few years, I felt a bit bored of boarding for awhile, and brought some skis to work, I did 5 runs, and was so irritated with controlling 2 boards compared to one, I went back to the office, swapped to my board, and haven't even thought of trying skis again.

'93 Prelude SI H23VTEC 11.6:1 M2B4, 12.93 @ 108.21 MPH.
'02 Subaru WRX HKS, Invidia, Volk CE-28N, lots of Sti parts. Great winter beater.
'06 RSX Type-S Bone stock - for now
'11 GMC Sierra 4X4 - pulls stuff