Author Topic: Dudes on newer boards  (Read 15643 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: Dudes on newer boards
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2011, 07:14:39 am »
Im going to join in here and ask my q's. Right now i'm riding my 05 forum raider 161, I just upgraded my bindings to some ride spi's last year and my boots are terrible. I dont really ride switch, or in the park, I just love riding around the mountain trying to find the best snow. I'm going to be picking out some new boots coming up here but im wondering if there are any recommendations on a board. I weigh 180lbs and I find that the raider works awesome in powder and groomed but over the rough stuff it tends to chatter a lot and become fairly uncontrollable. I've been looking around at different boards but with the huge selection it seems to all blend together. So far i'm looking at the salomon answer magnum 158, capita black death 159 or even the never summer raptor. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

LibTech T.Rice or Burton Custom Flying-V would be a couple decks to consider as well. For cambered boards you probably want to stay on a 159-161, but if you want go for a rocker/reverse camber board you could downsize to a 157-158. I imagine the board selection is getting to be pretty picked over now so your best bet is to hit up a few shops and see what's available. [shamelessplug]The guys at the Source (any location) are super helpful and knowledgeable, they can for sure get you on a board that will meet your needs.[/shamelessplug]
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2011, 12:54:39 am »
Reviving this thread a bit;

Just wondering if anyone has ridden any of the Prior boards, mainly the Men's Freeride or even the Pow Stick.   Still really like the sounds of the Never Summer kit...

I am still absolutely loving my never summer raptor x. also the boots and bindings. This is a killer combo. I still wish I got the 165 instead of 161 though. Just because you can float in pow just as easy (and you really can) doesn't mean you should step down in length. I mioss the top end speed of my nirto magnum, especially traversing flats.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 DGM STi
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2011, 05:04:38 pm »
With so many positive reviews for the NS how can you go wrong?  Happy to hear that you're still stoked about your setup. 

I was also considering stepping down the length from my current 164, but it seriously tears assay like your Magnum did and I would also miss that, thanks for the tips!  Will you be upsizing next season?
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2011, 04:35:11 pm »
nah, can't afford it. I will be lucky if i can board much at all next winter :(
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
Just picked up a 2011 GNU riders choice...and I love it...
The board was super responsive, lots of pop and tore through everything.  Fantastic.

Karl

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STi
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:13 pm »
Just picked up a 2011 GNU riders choice...and I love it...
The board was super responsive, lots of pop and tore through everything.  Fantastic.

Karl

Good choice... after my NS SL-R, my old Rider's Choice was my favorite board.

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »
Good choice... after my NS SL-R, my old Rider's Choice was my favorite board.

Its been good so far, except I made sure to scuff up the bottom real nice by clipping some rocks that were covered lightly in snow.  Thats how she goes though :)