Author Topic: How To: Fill your rear diff with a Shop Vac and Gatorade bottle  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Munky

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '06 WRX
How To: Fill your rear diff with a Shop Vac and Gatorade bottle
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:30:52 pm »
Didn't take a photo.  This was a setup I learned about when I had my SHO.  As the 5speed transmissions only had a fill plug on the side of the housing.  Heres what to do:

Required:
-Shop Vac
-Gatorade Bottle (591ml is what I used, 1L should work too.)
- 2 feet of 1/2" clear hose (I used a 1/4" because it was all I had. My original idea failed and had this hose i got for  bleeding the brakes.  A bigger hose may work, you want something that will fit on the fill hole of the diff but not too big because you want air to be able to escape from the diff.)
- 0.8L of gear oil of your choice

What to do:
- Test fit the end of the shop vac hose to the opening of the the Gatorade bottle.  With my little shop vac, the end fit nicely in to the opening and made a nice seal. If not, trim the bottle as needed or use something to make a seal.
- Near the top of the bottle make a hole just big enough for your 1/2" clear hose. Insert hose and make sure its a tight fit to make a seal and the hose reaches the bottom of the bottle.
- Fill the bottle with gear oil.
- Setup the shop vac to the blow.
- Put other end of your clear hose in to the diff.  I put it in a couple inches.
- Turn on shop vac and let it do all the work. The shop vac will pressurize the Gatorade bottle forcing the fluid to claim out through the clear hose in to the diff. This did take a bit of time, gave me a chance to look other things over.
- Once the diff is full, the gear oil should start dripping out of the fill hole.

This can be used in other applications too.  Like I said above, I found this out for my old SHO.  Using the same rig but switching the shop vac to suck, you can drain out fluid. This is pretty much a pump.