Author Topic: No more 94 Octane?  (Read 11439 times)

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
Re: No more 94 Octane?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 12:42:51 pm »
I'll bump this rather than start a new thread. I filled up yesterday at the Husky on 16th in the Bowness area and they no longer had 94, they had changed the signs on the pumps to say 91.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 12:47:24 pm »
I'll bump this rather than start a new thread. I filled up yesterday at the Husky on 16th in the Bowness area and they no longer had 94, they had changed the signs on the pumps to say 91.

Que pasa??!? Uh oh.

Couldn't find anything on their website about this.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »
^I just looked at their website as well; the station finder indicated that station still carried 94. 

Ambystom01:  was it a quickly hand drafted sign?

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 12:51:41 pm »
No it was a proper sticker, color matched to the pump and everything.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 12:52:54 pm »
^I just looked at their website as well; the station finder indicated that station still carried 94. 

Yeah. And their website still lists 94 octane as a fuel they carry in AB, SK, MB and some parts of BC. I know they phased it mostly out in BC but they still have it in Fernie.
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline schizoSTI

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 08 STI
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 12:54:27 pm »

That website is on glue!  It says the husky in drumheller doesn't have 94 (when clearly it does) and says the husky on gasoline alley in red deer does (when it obviously does not)

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 12:56:24 pm »
Just sent off an email to their customer service. Maybe they'll have an answer.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »
The one in Sandstone still have 94 but the other two have been relabeled 87 and 89.  So much for using 90 :(

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »
I filled up at the Sundance Husky this afternoon.  The pump buttons still said 90/92/94 but there was a label on the pump handle that said 87/89/94.  Just a guess, but maybe it's a reaction to oil prices, offer 87 and 89 at the same price as everywhere else, and charge MORE of a premium for 94 (?)

I just don't want to have to use my 91 map  :(

Offline 93ScoobyD

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 06 LGT, 11' Gsxr 600
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:24 pm »
The one in Sandstone still have 94 but the other two have been relabeled 87 and 89.  So much for using 90 :(

Same with the one in Canyon Meadows.
I used it on my old legacy, I just poored the whole can in the gas tank and enjoyed white smoke all week

Offline Warbaby

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon, 2009 Subaru Forester X Touring - Sold
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 09:43:59 pm »
Husky in south Edmonton at Ellerslie Road and 91 Street has stickers over the labels on the pumps...87, 89 and 94. 

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:19 am »
Picked up a leaflet at the Husky today.  Tried to take a pic of it with my phone, but it's not readable.

c/n:  it's a result of the govt "Reformed Fuel Standard".  Husky can no longer get the 87 fuel that resulted in 90 octane when blended with ethanol, so that rules out the 92 as well since it was a blend of 94 and 90.  94 will still be available, along with 87 and 89.

Airboy will now be running his HTA68 on 87 octane fuel  :o

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:29 am »
Q: Why did you stop offering ethanol-blended 90 Octane fuel for the price of regular in my province?

A: Husky has proudly provided ethanol-blended gasoline to our customers for many years and most recently has been able to provide ethanol-blended 90 Octane fuel at the price of our competitors' regular gasoline, which had no ethanol.

Husky used to produce our ethanol-blended fuel by injecting ethanol into finished gasoline. The addition of ethanol increases the octane level in gasoline by about three octane numbers and therefore, regular gasoline at 87 octane became ethanol-blended 90 octane gasoline.

In 2010, the federal government and the BC and Alberta governments will mandate an annual average of 5% ethanol in gasoline for all producers (Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario already have similar mandates in place).

To respond to the mandated change, refineries produce a lower octane blendstock- to accommodate ethanol blending. In short, to meet mandates and continue to produce an 87 octane gasoline, major refiners are instead opting to produce a lower octane blendstock that, when blended with ethanol, becomes 87 octane ethanol-blended gasoline.

The change means that in the affected jurisdictions, 87 Octane ("regular") gasoline is now ethanol-blended, where previously this was not always the case. Unfortunately, the change also means that Husky can no longer provide our customers with the advantage of our ethanol-blended 90 Octane gasoline at the price of our competitor's regular 87 gasoline as their 87 regular gasoline now also contains ethanol.

The most recent change occurred in BC where, effective Jan. 1, 2010, Husky's ethanol-blended 90 Octane fuel changed to 87 octane fuel, still blended with ethanol, in some parts of the province. Also, in many of those same jurisdictions (much of the Lower Mainland, Southern Interior and Northern BC), our mid-grade fuel - 92 Octane is no longer available. We will continue provide our premium 94 Octane ethanol-blended fuel at certain locations across the province.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:20 am »
This is the same reason that Shell has new stickers on their pumps stating that:

87 Octane - up to 10% Ethanol.
89 Octane - up to 5% Ethanol.
91 Octane - no Ethanol.

Starting Dec. 15, 2010 an "average renewable fuel content of five per cent in gasoline is required in Canada":
http://www.ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=714D9AAE-1&news=2D84D5D6-F152-4F5F-A4B9-BE973BE6821B

And this is how they're playing with the "averages"...

BTW:
Husky used to produce our ethanol-blended fuel by injecting ethanol into finished gasoline. The addition of ethanol increases the octane level in gasoline by about three octane numbers and therefore, regular gasoline at 87 octane became ethanol-blended 90 octane gasoline.

So that 91 Octane Shell gasoline (or any other 91 octane feedstock with no Ethanol) + Husky injected Ethanol = 3 Octane points increase = Husky 94 Octane.

Offline Sleeper

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
I'm planning a retune on straight 91 V-power isspay and I'll leave the high HP numbers to race fuels.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 09:24:36 am »
Good thing I had Sunny retune me a while ago.. Too bad I want to get dyno tuned now as well..
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 09:33:21 am »
^ 94 will still be the same 94 it was before FWIW, and I'm glad that we're not losing it....yet.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 09:40:26 am »
I'm still using it, but it's the $1.30/litre that angers me.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:03 am »

I just don't look at the price when I fill up  8)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 09:45:45 am »
$20 for 15L.. so if my tank was completely empty, $80..

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:05 am »
Yeah, i've been debating the change to Shell 91.

a) I work for Shell and get harassed that I use Husky. I've been trying to track down who makes the decision to not make Shell 94 without sucess :)
b) It would make road trips a lot less stressful. Plus, any trip to the states would require a retune.

With my upcoming turbo upgrade, ill most likely be going to Shell 91.

AWDFTW

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 10:41:32 am »
I don't understand why, as a 'daily driver' so many of you guys are tuned on 94 anyway ... does the extra 10-15HP really matter that much, that it's worth being a hassle to find gas, and now having to be retuned anyway? I always found that I got terrible mileage on husky gas, and all the Huskys in Red Deer are inconveniently placed. Plus, with the 94 available, if you end up with a little oil in the intake or whataver, and get a bit of knock, you can throw 94 in and be a little safer ... saved me before...

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 10:43:11 am »
Because we can be? There isn't really any good reason for it other than it's available.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 11:19:13 am »
I'm tuned for 91 but live next door to a husky w/ 94 so...

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 03:07:26 pm »

Vancouver prices since yesterday are at 131.9 for regular:-\
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~