Author Topic: Dudes on newer boards  (Read 15655 times)

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 DGM STi
Dudes on newer boards
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:32:11 am »
Hey guys,

I have a 2006 Ride Timeless 164 and it's been a very good board.  It's seriously fast and handles most terrain.  It is a very rigid board and doesn't have a lot of pop to it.  I am thinking of getting into something newer and am wondering if it's worth it.  Is the new tech that much better?  Probably looking into something a little shorter and perhaps with a bit more flex and pop. 

Thanks
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: Dudes on newer boards
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:04 am »
I've ridden a fairly wide variety of boards, from the average all mountain board, to the flexy park board, to the hardcore back country board.

At one point I had three boards... one for everyday, one for pow days, and a third for thrashing. When I go out, I often ride different parts of the mountain throughout the day. Pow/back country in the morning, park after lunch, and then just bombing the groomers towards the end of the day. I wanted a board to do everything... and I'm pretty sure I've found it!

Since 2006, one of the biggest advancement has been reverse camber, and multi camber shapes. There are many options for boards with these technologies, so the best bet is to go and talk to someone at a shop and get yourself some information about what the technology can do for you.

Personally, I ride a reverse camber board, the Burton Hero. It is characteristically a more park orientated board, but due to the reverse camber shape, it naturally likes to float in powder. It's a 155 length (I'm about 150 lbs), and is easy to spin and can still make hard turns in the trees. Most all mountain boards make some sacrifice, but I really feel like the Hero does everything well. It is the most enjoyable board I have ever ridden. It is the one board that I can ride all day, every day. Whether its dropping cliffs, navigating through trees or spinning off of jumps, it always makes me smile.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

jaymzee

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:41:12 am »
I'm a park rat mostly but I can't get into the reverse camber.... It's all preference, you have to just get a feel for what board you like. I used to be a burton fan I've had 2 burton 7's and an Un Inc. But last season I feel in love with Rome . I got a cheap trick 155. And I think its the best board I've ever owned.

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 DGM STi
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:15:36 pm »
Thank for the info guys, much appreciated.  I can't believe how much new stuff there is.  Not sure if I will like the reverse camber stuff.  I tried a buddies new Lib Tech with the Banana tech and Magne-traction last year, it fell so twitchy, every time I gave it what I though was a little heel it would wash out from under me.  Probably just have to get used to it... 
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

rith

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:55:24 pm »
Yeah, I may pick up a longer board, I'm 5'11, 190lbs and my 158 cm feels a bit too short for some runs in the mountains :/

Offline tweaver

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 08 wrx hatch
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:25:46 pm »
right now im riding on a rome garage rocker with ride contrabands. It is such a nice set up for the park. It is the cheapest board I have ever owned and easily my most favorite. The contrabands are such a nice binding too.

For the mountains I have a Burton Fix and a Uninc, with a set of Cartel EST's I swap between them.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »
Yeah, I may pick up a longer board, I'm 5'11, 190lbs and my 158 cm feels a bit too short for some runs in the mountains :/

Board sizing is all based off of weight, height actually isn't a factor. 158 is definitely on the low side, but if you get something a little stiffer than you could probably stay around that size and get a more responsive ride. The other option is to go a little longer (161 or 162), which would get you more high speed stability and responsiveness for big mountain riding.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline tweaver

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 08 wrx hatch
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:00:06 pm »
its definitely based off weight, but also personal preference. I use a 155 for my rail/street board which is technically under my weight range.

rith

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:56:17 pm »
Last time I hit powder with my existing board I basically just hit it and sank :/

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:29:48 pm »
I'm currently looking at new boards as well. haven't been following anything for a while. Not sure if I am going to go with the reverse camber yet or not......

looking at burton vapor 162w and custom x 162w or 164w. Both are regular camber. I do love the feel or turning on a camber board on groomed. but I am mostly ridding trees and pow. Current board is a nitro magnum 165.

I'm a bit of a heifer at 240-ish (i haven't checked in months this is a guess) love speed on groomed,  never had issues with control over the magnum in the trees, size 13 boots = width is an issue, ride 50/50 switch on groomed. price ot a huge issue, I have saved money for a while for this.

any suggestions? I want the burton but if any options come up I will look into it.

edit: I am gunna throw the custom flying v and hero into the mix just for the camber selection.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 05:43:41 pm »
I'm currently looking at new boards as well. haven't been following anything for a while. Not sure if I am going to go with the reverse camber yet or not......

looking at burton vapor 162w and custom x 162w or 164w. Both are regular camber. I do love the feel or turning on a camber board on groomed. but I am mostly ridding trees and pow. Current board is a nitro magnum 165.

I'm a bit of a heifer at 240-ish (i haven't checked in months this is a guess) love speed on groomed,  never had issues with control over the magnum in the trees, size 13 boots = width is an issue, ride 50/50 switch on groomed. price ot a huge issue, I have saved money for a while for this.

any suggestions? I want the burton but if any options come up I will look into it.

edit: I am gunna throw the custom flying v and hero into the mix just for the camber selection.

I'll make this simple :P

Knowing how you ride, how often, and what terrain you spend most of your time on, I would go with the Custom X. It is stiffer than the Vapor (much cheaper too!) and Custom Flying V, which will net you better responsiveness and high speed stability. The Custom Flying V is more of the "average guy" board (don't get me wrong, it is a good board), but I don't think it will meet your needs as a more experienced rider.

Don't forget that bindings and boots play a role just as important when it comes to the overall feel and ride of your set up.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STi
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 08:57:08 pm »
Here's what I like... just my take.

More park than Mountain -> Never Summer Evo R (My son rides this)
More Mountain that Park -> Never Summer Anything Else (I have an SL-R, incredible board!)
Back Country -> Never Summer Summit (I just ordered one in a split :D)

Yep, I'm totally sold on Never Summer. I do ride a Rome Postermania 1985 in the park when I'm riding with the kids, but that's because I paid ~$200 for it new.

If you like your Timeless (great board BTW!) you will probbaly love the Never Summer Premier F1 or Raptor, although I was talking to NS yesterday, and the Raptor may already be sold out for the season. The SL-R will usually sell out by December.

rith

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 12:40:13 am »
Yeah I love my Neversummer Legacy, it's a few years old but it's nice and wide to fit my size 12 feet :P

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 10:48:57 am »
I'll make this simple :P

Knowing how you ride, how often, and what terrain you spend most of your time on, I would go with the Custom X. It is stiffer than the Vapor (much cheaper too!) and Custom Flying V, which will net you better responsiveness and high speed stability. The Custom Flying V is more of the "average guy" board (don't get me wrong, it is a good board), but I don't think it will meet your needs as a more experienced rider.

Don't forget that bindings and boots play a role just as important when it comes to the overall feel and ride of your set up.

Thanks EDJ, I have driver x boots and am looking at the co2 bindings, I like it stiff (twss)
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 11:40:25 am »
Thanks EDJ, I have driver x boots and am looking at the co2 bindings, I like it stiff (twss)

Sounds like a well balanced set up.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 01:51:45 pm »
From where I see it, Burton is overpriced and has only a 1 year warranty... 
Rome, 2 year warranty. Great bindings, pretty good boards, check out the Targa for a stiff all mountain beast.
Never Summer, 3 year warranty, hand made in Denver, cost less than Burton boards.

I buy a board or two every year though, and the kids ride some Burton gear (their grom gear is nice), but I just can't bring myself to drop that kind of money on stuff just for the name. Custom X is friggin $800.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 02:03:15 pm »
burton has been making boards forever, with the name comes the experience, research and development.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »
Burton has a lock on a certain market segment, that doesn't mean they make the best gear. There are better options out there for the money.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 03:23:59 pm »
I've had a pair of recent (06/07, 08/09) Custom X's (both picked up heavily discounted). The first one cracked an edge which is always a fun task of repairing and the second I still use - but it's a not a wide 164 which is a downfall. With the CustomX, Either I need to work it - or it works me which is getting a bit old. It holds really nice when racing from peak to parking lot but oh gawd does it burn. Not worth it. Also, any damage due to the odd rock makes you cringe due to the price tag. The sintered?carbon?whatever base material is a bit harder to fix, especially around a die-cut area (the diecut 'X' was right under the rear foot and partially peeled out on me). I'm pretty set on a Burton board not being my next board.
As such, I still like my 03/04 K2 Union. It's a nice, big, soft dumb board with more base filler than original base material. I've heard a lot of good about Never Summer boards and will consider them next year when I'm board shopping. However, I have also heard they are heavier but I cannot confirm the validity of this claim or any detrimental impact it may have.
Back to OP: tech. Reverse camber, but I don't really see that as 'tech', more as a different style or approach similar to twin-tip, fish tail boards, etc...
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 03:51:14 pm »
Never Summer used to be heavier, but over the past couple of years their boards are pretty close to their competition. My NS 158 is a touch lighter than the Gnu 157.5 it replaced. I've hit some serious shark fins with it, and nothing has penetrated the base yet.

As far as Rocker and Camber go, I find rocker pretty squirmy on its own (My Rome is plain rocker) and don't like it on the mountain. Rocker/Camber is money though, you get the float/playfulness of a rocker with the advantage of camber when you are in an icy entrance to a chute. I'm done with plain old camber, it's great on groomers, but the only time I'm riding a groomer is on the way back to the lift or cat if I have to.

I demoed a few Burton boards last season, and they were ok, but by no means better than other stuff I have been on. The V rocker was a bit weird, just never felt right to me. It seemed to lack both the playfulness of rocker, and the grip of camber,and felt very unpredictable.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 04:03:01 pm »
Burton has a lock on a certain market segment, that doesn't mean they make the best gear. There are better options out there for the money.

After working in a shop, I've had the opportunity to ride many different brands and styles of boards. There's a reason Burton is the #1 selling snowboard brand. I'm not saying every other brand is crap, because there are TONS of other good options out there. That being said, I will always ride Burton or LibTech/Gnu simply due to their experience and history in the industry. Both have outstanding warranty programs and great R&D to back up their technology.

Honz, I definitely know where you are coming from when it comes to getting worked by the Custom X. I've ridden a board quite similar (Endeavor BOD), and riding something that aggressively designed can be a huge strain if you aren't on top of your game. But, if you spend most of your time in the trees and pow, there's nothing better! I guess a lot of it comes down to personal preference, and for JimmEh, I think it would be a good option, especially being a heavier guy, it will offset some of the aggressive nature of the Custom X. I don't think the Custom would cut it.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 05:27:49 pm »
I ride pretty agressive most the time anyway. Thanks for opinions guys, I am going to look more into libtech as well as possibly arbor, NS, rome and prior. Like I said, I haven't been following brands, models, tech or anything. So I am taking your advice into consideration.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:26 pm »
EDJ, what do you think of K2's flatline camber(less) design? looking at the zero and it sounds pretty sweet too.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 07:16:27 am »
Camberless boards are fun too. I've ridden the Burton Fix, and although it's a much more mellow board compared to what you are looking at, it was still a lot of fun. A flat profile takes a run or so to feel out and get used to (much like a reverse camber board), but for me it came really naturally and it wasn't long before I started pushing.

I honestly haven't looked at K2 very much, but just going through their technical stuff, the 0 seems like a pretty good option. The only thing  I would worry about, after reading some reviews is that the top sheet seems to chip/dent pretty easily, which can affect the long term reliability of the board. But, that can happen to any option you choose so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Check out their warranty program and see how it stacks up.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 08:00:23 am »
EDJ, what do you think of K2's flatline camber(less) design? looking at the zero and it sounds pretty sweet too.

You should ask around on the snowboarding forums as well, usually there are people that can offer feedback...