Author Topic: Dudes on newer boards  (Read 15649 times)

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 DGM STi
Re: Dudes on newer boards
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 11:46:43 am »
Those Never Summer boards look very nice!  Thanks Zee for recommending.   Sounds like the rocker and camber setup on the Raptor and Premier is ideal for what I'm usually riding.  That design is very similar to the All-mountain Ride boards, but man do the Ride boards have craptastic graphics.  Where did you purchase your NS boards? 
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »
ok my revised list:

arbor wasteland      (does it all)
burton vapor         (quality, super light, very aggressive)
burton custom x      (aggressive, does it all)
k2 o               (super light, aggressive, flatline)
lib tech skunk ape      (made for bigger riders, camber/rocker)
never summer raptor x   (rocker/camber, great handling)
prior MFR            (handmade quality, hybrid rocker)

bindings, likely burton. will check out flow and union as well.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STi
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 02:21:46 pm »
I bought my SL-R from the Boardroom in Vancouver, they shipped it for free. The Evo-R was a pre release for my son I bought directly from Never Summer, and I just ordered my Summit Split directly from Never Summer as well.

I think Royal Board Shop in Calgary is carrying a few NS boards.

The Raptor is supposed to be one heck of a board... if those are sold out, the Premier or Heritage are great too.

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 04:13:26 pm »
Never Summer Prices at the boardroom are equivalent to US pricing.

http://www.boardroomshop.com/MAIN/products.cfm?CatID=610&sid=128&CFID=13270693&CFTOKEN=23715047

Pretty sweet actually....

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 05:34:04 pm »
After much touchy feely, trying on boots, squishing and pulling binding and using up a couple hours of a super friendly employees time, I think I might go with the never summer raptor x, burton C02 and ride insano boots.

The insano's fit me better then the driver x by a fair margin, he took $75 off the boot/binding and the board for $590

$1450.38 all in with stupid HST

boots, in black: http://ridesnowboards.com/boots/insano-focus-boa

bindings, in silver/black:  http://www.burton.com/mens-bindings-co2-bindings/232229,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=mens-bindings

board, 161. I considered the 165 as it wouldn't be any harder to ride then my current setup. but the 61 is probably eough: http://neversummer.com/snow/snowboards/raptor/

comments on this set up? After talking to the guy at the shop I am pretty stoked on this. He was actually ordering himself the same board too. You guys give NS great reviews, it's a rocker/camber combo that is set back. Not sure how that would be to ride switch on groomers.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »
That's an awesome set-up. The Burton C02 bindings are pretty darn good. Good choice on the Raptor. I think at 240 you can probably handle the 165 no problem at all. It really depends on the terrain you ride and personal preference.

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 08:39:06 pm »
Nicely done JimmEh!!! 

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Raptor as well.  Just trying to figure out the size, what do you guys recommend?  Weight just under a deuce, 10.5 boot.  My Timeless is about 25.5 at the waist.  So I was thinking 159 or 164 for the regular Raptor 25.3 waist or the Raptor X series 161 26.3 waist.  I have read that this board rides long.  Also what's new for bindings, I have set of Ride SPi DFC's from 2006 they look very similar to the new stuff, is there a huge difference?  Probably going to dial up another pair of 32's as my current are, well, from 2006...

Thanks!
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 09:48:01 pm »
If it was camber i'd go for the 65 but i think because of the rocker/camber 61 will be enough and fun for turning. the only thing i am wondering about is that the rocker is more to the rear and camber more to the front. Just curious how it rides switch on groomers.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this as the board is $60 off regular price and he gave me $75 off for the boots and bindings.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »
Offthegrid, what are your stance angles? I think you can get away with the regular width, unless you ride less than 6 degrees on your angles. The narrower board is going to be faster edge to edge on the groomers. What sort of terrain are you riding? The length is really just a matter of preference. Longer will be stable at speed, shorter is a lot easier to control. I'm 180 lbs, and I went from a 165 cambered Prior to a 158 SL-R which is rockered because I wanted something I could really toss around. I don't see myself going to anything longer for inbounds, and even my split is going to be a 160. The Never Summer rocker float is incredible.
So you can probably ride a 159, but if you are carving groomers go with the longer board.

If you want something fun and playful and don't do much for groomers, look at the Heritage, Premier, and SL (Legacy for wide) as well. You really can't go wrong with any NS board. The Raptor is also the most directional of these boards, but man is it ever nice!

PS. When you guys get these, let's hit the slopes sometime. If you guys have Beacons/Shovels/Probe/Pack etc, we can head into Delirium.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 10:46:28 pm »
I don't have any back country gear or experience in avalanche training. Surprising considering I have been riding half my life, but lately I only stay (mostly) inbounds. When I was a kid we even didn't go out that often. ut6 I will be at whitewater a lot. I want to hit revy or kicking horse this year though.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 07:11:24 am »
PS. When you guys get these, let's hit the slopes sometime. If you guys have Beacons/Shovels/Probe/Pack etc, we can head into Delirium.

I'm in the same board as JimmEh. I really would like to get some proper training and avalanche gear, but I rarely get the chance to do any serious back country riding. Does Sunshine have avalanche gear for rental?
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 07:27:22 am »
You can rent the avalanche gear at Sunshine, and I think MEC has it too.

DD is avy controlled, so the risk is relatively low.

stefan

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 07:53:01 am »
@ OP my 2c; go Burton Custom. I have basically danced around this board my entire snowboarding career; typically picking more specialized boards.  But I keep finding myself taking out Custom demos.  I think for mixed AB/BC riding groomed/ungroomed gotta-have-one-board-all-season I'd say it's a good bet and you can usually get last year's model for a decent discount.

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 10:21:29 am »
Thanks Stefan!  Not making this easier.... Ha!!  I seriously can't afford more then one board, so I am looking for a good all around piece of lumber.  The Custom looks nice but it's a regular Cambered board, which is what my Timeless is, if you're talking about the Flying V Custom then that would be similar to the NS Rocker&Camber I assume?

To answer Zee's questions.
I run a large amount of angle, more then 6 for sure, due to my native "duck" stance.  I stay mostly in-bounds so whatever the day serves up, but will hit some out-of  bounds when the pow is good nothing extreme that entails epic hikes and possible snow shoe action (although this sounds like fun and may try one day).  I love the speed and usually charge hard, I don't hit the park at all.  The one nice thing about the Timeless was it's ability to quickly transition between heel and toe edge so I would like to retain the tossability of it.  My one worry about the NS Raptor is that it's to much of a board for what I need, and riding switch will be difficult.  That being said, I suck at riding switch and rarely do it. 

When riding the chair up Goat's Eye I look over and see DD, and I think can I? should I? Will I die?  Zee you sound epic, would be classic to hit the trails with you.

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:13 am »
I'm not nearly as good as I wish I was, not even close to epic lol, the kids in the park still put me to shame (I'm old, falling hurts more, and I heal a lot slower). In the mountains though, I'll usually ride anything that is not a "no fall zone".

The Raptor is going to be stiffer, when they say freecarve, it's going to be stiff enough to lay down trenches on groomers. That being said, at 200ish, you can probably handle the 159 easily, but the 164 is going to be more stable if you really want to fly. You can go with the regular width for sure. It's going to be a toss-up between the 159 for control in those tight situations vs. 164 for stability at speed.

If I was ~200 lbs, I'd probably get the SL in a 161. It's got the length to give you some stability, but has a bit more flex so can be forgiving when you're in the trees and need to toss it around. Plus, it is great riding switch. My second choice would be a Heritage 160 or Premier 161. These are a bit better all around than the raptor, slightly stiffer and more damp than the SL. The Premier is a bit more Freeride oriented than the Heritage. You're riding duck, so these make more sense. I used to be all about the stiff freeride boards (Salomon Fastback, Prior MFR) but now really enjoy the more freestyle oriented all mountain boards now. The SL is by far my favorite.

stefan

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »
The Custom looks nice but it's a regular Cambered board, which is what my Timeless is, if you're talking about the Flying V Custom then that would be similar to the NS Rocker&Camber I assume?
Sorry, I missed that you weren't interested in regularly cambered boards. Can't comment on your question!  You ride duck as well so that's a consideration I didn't think of also.

Also Zee: IIRC you just need the avalanche transponder to ride Delirium.. Not sure though! I know my brother did it last year without the aforementioned standard backcountry gear.

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 03:50:51 pm »

Also Zee: IIRC you just need the avalanche transponder to ride Delirium.. Not sure though! I know my brother did it last year without the aforementioned standard backcountry gear.

The gate will let you in with just a beacon, but you are supposed to have a shovel/probe (website lists just shovel lol) if patrol checks you. Delirium is controlled, so the likelyhood of it sliding are minute. My buddies think the requirements are just to keep the punters out. They are probably right.

Offline tweaver

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 08 wrx hatch
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 10:02:53 pm »
I got to ride a Vapour when I worked at a local snowboard shop. Its a nice board and everything but I feel its grossly overpriced. There were boards that were half as expensive that performed as good if not better then the Vapour.

Then again, I never got the chance to ride it in the mountains so I didnt get to see the full potential of the board. This is of course my personal opinion. I realize that there are a lot of people out there that praise the Vapour.

I realy want to ride a Ride Slackcountry in some powder.

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 07:43:20 am »
I ride pretty agressive most the time anyway. Thanks for opinions guys, I am going to look more into libtech as well as possibly arbor, NS, rome and prior. Like I said, I haven't been following brands, models, tech or anything. So I am taking your advice into consideration.

If you can, invest in a Never Summer. I've ridden countless boards and I honestly don't think I will ride anything else. I've dealt with the company from both the skate and snow sides, and they are incredibly professional. I teach snowboarding, and although I bought a Capita to abuse that with, I almost always end up back on my NS, even with the little kids running my board over. (Eek!!)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 08:07:17 am »
I got to ride a Vapour when I worked at a local snowboard shop. Its a nice board and everything but I feel its grossly overpriced. There were boards that were half as expensive that performed as good if not better then the Vapour.

I definitely agree on the Vapor. I rode one in 2008 and it was fast, very responsive, poppy and quite fun to ride. But, there are a bunch of other equally enjoyable boards to be had for a lot less, even in Burton's lineup. The Vapor is for Exec's and "technical" type people who *need* to have the best, most high tech version of everything. It is a great board with some cool tech, but at the end of the day, its too much for an all mountain board.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:13 am »
Holy crap! Vapor is $1400, Method is $1750! Can you imagine getting a core shot on those boards. Made for guys that cruise groomers, never hit rail or go near rocks, or have money to burn.

My boards are getting trashed quicker and quicker, I'm lucky to get 2 years now. When I was a beginner/intermediate, I could ride the same board for 3 years and sell it without barely a scratch on it. No way I'd spend that kind of money on a board. Even my split was less than that...

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 09:56:01 am »
That's nothing, check out the LibTech Cygnus
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zee

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2010, 10:06:34 am »
That's nothing, check out the LibTech Cygnus

I hadn't looked at the price of one of those in a while. That's insanity!

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 03:52:15 pm »
man this has been a pretty interesting thread to read through and get some feedback on the newer technology.  i have a ride fuel board from a few years back, but it has a similar design to the timeless with the 3D core and cap construction.  i'm curious to try a board with a rocker design but wouldn't want to purchase one without trying it....will there be demo days at the ski resorts sometime?  (i'm a n00b cause i just moved here a few months ago)

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:43 pm »
man this has been a pretty interesting thread to read through and get some feedback on the newer technology.  i have a ride fuel board from a few years back, but it has a similar design to the timeless with the 3D core and cap construction.  i'm curious to try a board with a rocker design but wouldn't want to purchase one without trying it....will there be demo days at the ski resorts sometime?  (i'm a n00b cause i just moved here a few months ago)
Keep your eye out on the resort of your choice's webpage. There should be something on there about demo dates. Companies like Burton and Salomon usually show up with various types of technologies that you can try out, and if you like the product enough, you can buy on the spot.