Author Topic: Subaru STI OS Giken Clutch  (Read 4949 times)

Offline ajSvat

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: AWD
Subaru STI OS Giken Clutch
« on: November 11, 2010, 06:32:48 pm »
OS Giken STR2CD for Subaru STI’s

Let’s start with a bit of history for all the enthusiasts looking for a clutch.

Car 1

Brand new 2007 Subaru driven one year when the clutch gave out, and we decided to replaced it with a Bully clutch and ACT Streetlight flywheel only to see about 14 months use. Replaced that one with another Bully clutch but higher performance (heavy duty 6 puck design) only to replace it within 3 months. The replacement clutch brand is an unknown and worked well but suffered from clutch chatter.

Car2

2006 Subaru with a stock clutch giving up the ghost at about 100,000KM. Not too bad I figure BUT this would be the forth clutch assembly and installation within a 4 year period between the 2 cars.

First replacement including parts about 2,000.00
Second about 1,900.00 including parts.
Third one was 1,600.00 including parts.

So you can see that I was a bit concerned with what I was going to put in and who was going to do it.  Just like the rest of you drivers faced with the horror of this full day job I start checking the forums...lots of them. And of course I find out nothing much more other than 50 drivers like brand “A” 25 hate brand “A” 10 say brand “A” is ok but are using brand “B” and prefer it. 20 others swear by brand “C”...and so on. So what to do?

Next step on the phone, called 4 shops and one supplier. The supplier (big retail performance type) told me parts (popular brand name clutch and pressure plate) 900.00 dollars and 1 month to get it in.

1st shop: 1,900.00
2nd shop 1,700.00
3rd out of town shop, well she didn’t know and promised to call back...well She didn’t say what year the next day was going to be. Good thing I wasn’t holding my breath.
4th out of town shop (Vex) parts and install were very competitively priced and they had everything in stock including a resurfaced flywheel to swap out.

So of course like every other penny pinching person I said to shop number 4 “when can we do it” and I added I’m tired of replacing clutches! Well the guy on the other end (Ryan) heard my grief and filled me in on some of the newest (to me) products that I figured were strictly racing applications and should never be used for street. I was assured “VERY STREETABLE”. Honest to goodness information on what’s available and what to expect for what prices.

The product OS Giken was explained to me, multi disk setup, what I’m getting for almost 4 times the cost of the “Big Name Brand” assembly. I of course said thanks for the information but no, no, no the cheaper one will be fine. Set up a time to go in and we hang up the phone.

Now normally that would be it but I decide to check out the internet some more for this OS Giken and really, I don’t find too much, so enough already I got to go to work. All the while thinking that next year I’ll be doing this all over again! So I call this guy back and say Yup OS Giken it is!

Now the fun begins:
I arrive at the date and time and introduce myself. Thinking I hope this guy knows his stuff as I have traveled 100 miles to get there and if It isn’t fix by then end of the day I’d have to figure out a way home or hotel it. No worries I’m told and I’m shown the OS Giken multi disk clutch assembly that’s waiting to mate up with my car. Well wow, professionally packaged, incredible machine work, engraved model number, and a finish any show car person would be proud to display. It’s a pity it will be hidden in the transmission.
I won’t go into the installation details but let’s just point out that this licence mechanic knows his Subaru’s. Like and artist each step precise, and not a thing going wrong. I guess that’s how it is when you know your stuff.

So basically everything is ready to go test drove and I’m set to go and I must admit somewhat excited about it all as I was told STREETABE.

So how is it you ask?

2 days driving:

No break in needed

Clutch engagement is very smooth but with a short amount slip to full engagement on the pedal. In other words from the time the clutch starts to grab moving the car and being fully engaged the pedal has moved very little. I am already use to it and that’s only after a couple of days.

Faster launches (not launch using control), you know the type that make you sit back a bit more firm in the seat and put a grin on your face are smooth and fast. When I say smooth what I mean is you don’t get that bang, or shock going through the drive train. It’s hard to explain but you don’t get that harsh bang like you do on the stock clutches, you just go and it’s like instant.

Noise. Yes there is some when you depress the pedal at idle. It sounds like a metallic rattling, something I could associate to a piece of tin rubbing loosely on a rotating drive shaft but much, much quieter. On a vehicle with performance exhaust it would be hard to hear and if you bring the revs up it seems to go away. It’s easier to hear at a drive through banking machine or picking up a coffee at the drive thru with the sound bouncing off the building. But this is normal for the system.

2 Months:

Wow is all I can say. Completely comfortable with it and it performs and feels exactly like it did when it was first installed. As far as chatter goes I have encountered it a couple of times and it was almost undetectable. More my fault in the way I started out.

So car enthusiasts who need a clutch replacement on their ride and are questioning what to get? Try the OS Giken multi disk. A very street able high end product that requires no breaking in, has pedal pressure similar to stock and has the build quality fit and finish that is second to none.

I’d give this product a 10 out of 10

And

Ryan at Vex Performance 10 out of 10

Offline marc l

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: impreza wrx ish
Re: Subaru STI OS Giken Clutch
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 08:27:18 pm »
wicked review!

i became a believer after we put it in the rally car... just driving that was a dream...

congrats on a good choice!
"Sally! No playing Left Five Over Crest in the house!"

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
Subaru STI OS Giken Clutch
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:54:33 pm »
Full of win :)

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline dirtyspoons

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2000 Honda civic... but i have subaru parts so i guess it counts.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 02:51:45 am »
i am so jealous.... one day... one day i will be there...

Offline alistairh

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 Sedan
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:13:10 am »
I've got one of these in my 431/397 2011 STi. Had a ACT stage 2 clutch in before with a lightened flywheel which died prematurely partially due to a rear main, and partially due to me slipping/burning it a lot.

My mechanic had a couple issues getting it installed, mostly due to one of the plates being reversed out of the box and lack of proper documentation. However after a day and removing the tranny a couple times, we got it installed.

Pedal feel is pretty good. I like it more than the stock clutch. I dislike all the rattling when you have the clutch disengaged.

Clutch bites VERY hard and does a fantastic job of delivering the power and will even slip a little bit if you get it just right.

I'd buy another one.
I Broke what, and it's going to cost HOW MUCH to fix?!
343AWHP/425AWTQ - Airboy POWER!
Rockin a DGM Sedan since before it was cool

Offline RWDragoon

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
    • Vex Performance
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:59:17 am »
I've got one of these in my 431/397 2011 STi. Had a ACT stage 2 clutch in before with a lightened flywheel which died prematurely partially due to a rear main, and partially due to me slipping/burning it a lot.

My mechanic had a couple issues getting it installed, mostly due to one of the plates being reversed out of the box and lack of proper documentation. However after a day and removing the tranny a couple times, we got it installed.

Pedal feel is pretty good. I like it more than the stock clutch. I dislike all the rattling when you have the clutch disengaged.

Clutch bites VERY hard and does a fantastic job of delivering the power and will even slip a little bit if you get it just right.

I'd buy another one.

Besides the error on the install (Apparently one plate was installed backwards)  your car was the first 2011 in the world to run a OS Clutch!  The new Grand Touring clutches are 50% quieter, and if ever your clutch wears out I think there is a good chance we can upgrade. 
-Ryan
ryan@VEXperformance.com
-Authorized COBB ProTuner and dealer
-Authorized KW Sales and Installation

Offline alistairh

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 Sedan
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:16 pm »
By the way,

Thanks for your help with that Ryan. It was very nice of you to take time out of your day and answer the questions Shane had.

-Alistair
I Broke what, and it's going to cost HOW MUCH to fix?!
343AWHP/425AWTQ - Airboy POWER!
Rockin a DGM Sedan since before it was cool