Author Topic: Ski/Snowboard/Gear Reviews  (Read 8465 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Ski/Snowboard/Gear Reviews
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:43:36 pm »
2008 Burton Hero Snowboard, 155 cm

Background
With 11 years of snowboarding under my belt (at the time of purchase) and several previous snowboards (Ride Control, Gnu Rider's Choice, Endeavor BOD, plus numerous demo's) I had seen and ridden many different technologies in snowboard tech and construction. I had also spent a year working in a snowboard shop (The Source), so my knowledge and experience when it came to boards was more than enough to help me decide what I wanted next. In the past I had several boards at once to deal with varying conditions. I often found this annoying, as I would find myself riding hip deep pow and then tip toeing through the park on a board which just wasn't in it's element. I wanted a board that could do everything WELL. My search lead me to a new technology in a brand new board by Burton, the reverse camber Hero.

Setup
Burton Hero 155 ($550)
Burton Cartel bindings
Burton Ozone boots

The Good
At heart, the Hero was designed for hitting big booters and sliding rails. It's naturally full of pop and butters like a dream. I'm not a park rat; I rarely ever take a detour through, and I never go out of my way to find a park. My heart is in the back country; big cliffs, steep terrain, and deep snow. Though the Hero was never designed for that kind of riding, it still manages to excel in those conditions. It floats effortlessly, and lands drops as if auto pilot had taken over. It loves jumps and has no trouble finding air on anything and everything between the pow and the chair. The board is just FUN to ride all the time. I learned so much and progressed my skills further in one season on this board than I had in the previous eleven.

I LOVE reverse camber. I don't really understand all the hype and naysaying, but my experience was nothing but positive. The main reason is that I can now ride a smaller board in the deep stuff. The board is actually quite soft and much shorter than I was used to riding (158, 161) in deep snow. Until you take the boards profile into consideration, it seems like a complete bust for back country riding. But nothing could be further from the truth. The reverse camber offers effortless float and control in deep snow, and the short length and softness make the board maneuverable and very playful once you get out of the pow. It really makes the whole run FUN; there are no moments of wishing you had another board strapped to your feet.

The Bad
The only thing that really comes to mind is high speed stability on hard packed conditions. The shorter length, combined with the raised nose and tail offer less overall edge length than a cambered board of the same size. It's not that you can't ride fast, it's just less comfortable.

The Verdict
If you want an all mountain board that can slay the whole mountain, the Burton Hero is an awesome choice. Hands down, the most fun board I have ever ridden. It's a great board at a great price, and I would definitely buy another. Actually, I did. That's just how great I think it is.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
Re: Ski/Snowboard/Gear Reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:06 pm »
Background

riding 7 years, had lots of different boards, Rossignol, few salomons, an arbor A-Frame, a few Lib-techs. I and mostly just free ride and some jumps here and there.

Set-up

Lib-tech T.Rice ($ching ching $   :o) 157
Burton Cartel Bindings
Salomon Dialogue Boots

Tech
This board is loaded with all of libs newest technology, C2BTX for rocker and reverse camber, Magnetraction for wicked wavy edge holding magic, Basalt top sheet for durability, lightness and elimination of fiberglass.

It weighs less than my 155 Libtech Dark series, which by the way is also a killer board.

Good
Let ya know once i get it out to the hill this weekend

Bad
$$$ Expensive

Verdict
Coming Soon
Official Anti-Purist

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:57:32 pm »
It's been awhile since I wrote a review so bear with me here...
Background: Riding for 7, teaching for 6
I've ridden numerous set ups over the years, however I have neglected to keep track of any of them. Previous boards owned: Bataleon Distortia, Ride Decade, O-Matic Tara Dakides, some cheap POS Sport Chek board.
Set up's 2010 Never Summer Infinity set up with 2010 Union Trilogy's
Pro's:
This set up as a whole is very responsive. I enjoy the flex a lot, especially when I'm looking to dig in and hold a line when I'm carving up groomers or chugging through the fluffy stuff. For an all mountain freestyle type board, this rocks even for freeriding. It definitely has enough flex to be forgiving if you're doing some presses for kicks and is stiff enough to still be a whole heck of a lot of fun. I have to say, this board is ROCK SOLID. I also teach with this board and have lost track of how many times it has been run over by little kids or how many times I've run into stuff with it. Even dragging an edge through gravel, it still looks brand new...freaky! For myself, this will likely be my go-to set up of choice for many, many years to come.

Cons:
It's heavy...otherwise, I'm still trying to figure that out after riding it for a season and a half...

The bindings:
They're not bad. I did buy them a size too big because at the time I didn't realize I was going to size down in my boots (again!) From what I can tell, apart from the sizing issue, they are like riding on clouds. There is enough padding that the bindings are comfortable but it doesn't feel like there is TOO much padding. The only issue I have with these is that the hardware tends to come loose every other run.

2010 Capita Space Metal Fantasty FK.
Pro's:
- light, durable, SUPER, SUPER FLEXIBLE and just an awesome screw around board. It feels great if you're going to spend a day in the park, otherwise, I hate freeriding it.

Con's: weak topsheet, but that is only a cosmetic thing

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »

Dynastar Contact 10 (rock/non-pow days)

These skis are fantastic for days where there is no new snow and your stuck riding moguls or groomers to avoid chop and rocks.  They have the most amazing edge grip of any ski I have ever skiied, largely due to the fact that they are a race bread ski.  The contact 4x4 is a close comparison but stiffer.  These are slightly more forgiving then a race ski.  They are damn near telepathic when it comes to changing direction.  My only complaint is that they get a bit squirrely at speed if they are not on edge.   The big shovel at the front is good to deal with light crud and slop in the spring and they are pretty light for their size too.  Thumbs up for these guys.

75mm waist
172 length

2009 Volkl Gotama - for when mother nature loves us.

These are interesting skis.  They are pretty much the last of the pow skis with no rocker or reverse camber and because of that can pretty much be an all mountain ski.  That being said, I DO NOT use them as an all mountain.  They are 10 times more work to ski then the dynastars.  They are NOT telepathic.  That being said however, i had the pleasure of skiing them at opening weekend this year at kicking horse.

They were fantastic.  I could not have asked for more from a ski.  I would love to try out rockers next year but when it comes to a ski that will smoke through pow, do what their told when the snows deep and float me above the pow they were great.  They are turny in the 176 length I ski, they float beautifully, they are not that hard to put on edge, the reaction time is good, etc.  It will be said however, I never take them out of the bag without new snow.  They are useless without new snow.  They chatter like the damned and are no fun at all without at least 2 inchs on the ground.

105mm waist
176cm length

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:16:11 pm »
Well, because I like to ride new equipment all the time... here is my update

I still have my Lib-tech Dark series 155... friggin awesome board, but doesnet float a lot in the deep deep deep pow so you get pretty sore by the end of the day,  perfect for riding places like KH, LL, or even Sunshine if there is less than 12cm fresh

The Lib-tech Jamie Lynn 157, it was a Rocker board, no camber,  rode it once, didnt like it, flipped it the next day,

Lib-tech T-rice HP edition... 157

WOW what a ripper of a ride, lightest board i have ever ridden,  second fastest board i have ridden, only faster was my 158 arbor a-frame.
super pop, get edge hold, difficult to butter and press, but loads up an ollie and feels like it has springs. phenominal ride.... if you can find one, afford it, get it...

Now for my newest one...

Just got a Lib-tech Attack Banana 156. its the right in between board   between a Banana Magic and a skate banana... I am going to take it out for a spin this weekend.  I am super stoked... review will follow

Official Anti-Purist

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »

Rossi S7 - 188cm length - 115mm under foot.
Skiier weight - 155lbs
Skiier Height - 5'10.5''
Ability - ill ski damn near anything, except ill hesitate (bad idea) on 10+ft cliffs.

What can I say, i got to ski these in 20cm of april blower powder at sunshine.  They are godly.  They turn like my dynastars and barely chatter.  They blitz powder and laugh at small moguls and crud.  I was able to ski over crud like it was groomed.  The hype about these skis is right.  Its like cheating.  They take the work away from your knees and allow you to just enjoy skiing.  I never thought that these things would make such a profound difference but do they ever!  They even like moguls which i find stunning from such a long ski.  You can ski right over small moguls with them too!  They are quick too.

A word of caution however.  You cannot get lazy with them or they will as Jit said, bite you in the assay.  If they are put up on edge too heavily on a groomer, they will bite and when the rocker tip bites, your going down hard.

10/10 for this ski.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:50:06 am »
Full tilt Seth 2012

Figured i would add some info on these guys since they are my new boots this year.  I dropped 2 shell sizes down to a 26.5 (size 8.5) and my street shoes are a 9.   Thus far i have had vern heat mold them, transfer my custom footbeds and boot heaters and spent a bit of time breaking them in.  They are so comfortable but the best thing is, unlike a 4 buckle design, i dont find when i flex the boot forward like i am hitting the brick wall i would hit with a 4 buckle boot.  This boot flexs like a set of progressive springs getting stiffer as it moves forward instead of being 110 flex for a certain amount of travel and then slamming into a wall.  my shins are going to thank me.  Ill report back with more once they have been properly tested.

These have a 8 flex tounge and the best liner full tilt offers.

EDIT - Reporting in after 4 days of mogul slamming.

These boots are great.  I am going to need to get them punched out ever so slightly on the sides of my feet as by the end of the day they hurt a bit  but my shins are happy.  They still bang a bit but nothing like the nordicas.  the superchargers hurt my shins so bad it ended a few days early.  cant see that happening with these boots.

Overall, ide say this was a win.  Now if i can just get a better power strap for em i can completely eliminate shin bang.... as well as have a more condusive place to strap my boot heaters battery packs.  (yes i have heated boots.  win.)

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »
On with the Body Count..   new for the 2012 Season

Lib-Tech Attack Banana 156, with Union Contact Pro bindings ... my daily driver

Lib-Tech  La Nina MC 156, with Burton Cartel bindings .. my pow stick

ready for some shredding... 

on a side note, my buddy in whistler said its totally puking snow over there right now..!!

Official Anti-Purist

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:19:35 pm »
just got a new set of boots today:

technica demon 110s, pretty excited for the upcoming season to give them a whirl

edit: 12/20/11
had a small number of days in these boots.  very responsive with the power chassis bar underfoot actually making a notable difference powering into the edges on carves.  i still need to break them in some more, at the moment i'm getting a bit of soreness in the shins - typical for a 4 buckle design i guess, but i'm working with techno sport to improve the fit.  my left foot is also ever so slightly wider on the outside so i'm getting that side punched out a bit to help with that. 

so far, really happy with the performance of the boot.  great for hard charging days. 

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 11:34:55 am »
Ummm.. Question about buying gear here?

My brother is wanting to buy a snowboard. He goes out as much as a licenceless high school kid can, so probaby used about <10 times this year. And how does sizing work out?

It'll be his first, has a budget of about $500 - 600, that has to cover the boots, board and bindings, but not helmet, not gonna pinch pennies there. What he's considering now is:

First one is a two year old NeverSummer board (with rocker camber or something?) that comes with bindings, and some warrenty left on both. Was purchased at Easy Rider in Edmonton, new about $900, the seller is offering for $500.

Or

Something from Sport Chek, everything new, while staying in budget.

is there anything else that we should know?
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:08:54 pm »
Ummm.. Question about buying gear here?

My brother is wanting to buy a snowboard. He goes out as much as a licenceless high school kid can, so probaby used about <10 times this year. And how does sizing work out?

It'll be his first, has a budget of about $500 - 600, that has to cover the boots, board and bindings, but not helmet, not gonna pinch pennies there. What he's considering now is:

First one is a two year old NeverSummer board (with rocker camber or something?) that comes with bindings, and some warrenty left on both. Was purchased at Easy Rider in Edmonton, new about $900, the seller is offering for $500.

Or

Something from Sport Chek, everything new, while staying in budget.

is there anything else that we should know?

Board sizing is based on weight. Once you get that nailed down, you can narrow yourself down to 2 or 3 different sizes and start looking at various boards within that range. If buying new in the $600 range, you will be limiting yourself to "lower end" beginner type boards by the time you get boots and bindings factored in, but that isn't necessarily where you want to be if you are not a n00b. Buying used limits you in that you can't always pick something tailored to your needs, but you can definitely get a better deal. I would NOT deal with anyone at Sport Chek. Go to The Source in Red Deer and talk to someone who knows what's up. They should have a pretty good variety of boards in that price range too.

Buy comfortable boots and buy them new. You can have the raddest board ever, but if you have crummy boots, you will not enjoy your time on the hill.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 12:45:45 pm »
i would agree with that, order of importance for your equipment should be boots> bindings > board

but too often i see people make the mistake of buying some fancy snowboard with the latest graphics and skimp on the boots / bindings and have a miserable time on the hill

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 12:18:33 pm »
Thank you, that really helped. Much better then "buy my board, buy my board."
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline Corey

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2006 STi, 2007 Daytona 675, 2003 Race R6, 2015 Race 675R, 2013 1199 Panigale R
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 11:16:09 pm »
Yeah, for sure you will want to put most of the importance into the boots, but strictly speaking boards, I don't see how Sportchek would be a bad place for a beginner to buy a board.  The majority of their boards are extremely forgiving, and great boards to learn on.  Starting out a relaxed board would be ideal.  If tossed between a couple, pro-am and pro boarders are always posting their reviews and their feelings for the board. <--- helps.

Good luck, happy shredding ;)

EMRA #17

Castrol Roadcourse 1:21.9

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 11:03:11 pm »
Alright. When he gets his gear, I shall try and get it posted, then the people in the know (not me) can appraise.

With the bindings, what qualities should they have?
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:56 am »
Alright. When he gets his gear, I shall try and get it posted, then the people in the know (not me) can appraise.

With the bindings, what qualities should they have?

That depends entirely on what he likes to ride... if he likes rails and spends most of his time in the park then a binding with more flex will give you more flexibility to tweak grabs, press rails, and land off camber tricks (whether it's intentional or not :P ). If he's into big steep terrain and deep snow, then a stiffer binding will offer more support and provide more responsive feedback. An all mountain binding will find itself somewhere in between.

If buying used, the straps, ratchets and ladders should all be in good condition with no cuts, tears, or cracks. Make sure all the hard wear is present, tight, and free of any serious rust.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:08 pm »
check evo.com in the outlet for pretty good deals on last years gear.. I have bought a lot of equipment off them over the past 4 or 5 seasons.  I got a board from them at 85% off before... just gotta keep an eye out for the deals
Official Anti-Purist

stefan

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:06:40 am »
check evo.com in the outlet for pretty good deals on last years gear.. I have bought a lot of equipment off them over the past 4 or 5 seasons.  I got a board from them at 85% off before... just gotta keep an eye out for the deals
Sure.. if you don't want any of these brands. Boardroomshop.com (Surrey) has a few deals on last year's gear still.

Almost pulled the trigger on the Attack Banana but couldn't justify the huge cost even with the savings.  Decided to go with a Forum Youngblood 157 for some contrast with my DD, a Burton Triumph 162.  These will be on restricted cartels.  I should note I will never buy another Burton board again due to their move to EST which I think is ullbayitshay.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 11:03:49 pm »
Sure.. if you don't want any of these brands. Boardroomshop.com (Surrey) has a few deals on last year's gear still.

Almost pulled the trigger on the Attack Banana but couldn't justify the huge cost even with the savings.  Decided to go with a Forum Youngblood 157 for some contrast with my DD, a Burton Triumph 162.  These will be on restricted cartels.  I should note I will never buy another Burton board again due to their move to EST which I think is ullbayitshay.

Canada Goose can't be shipped out of the USA, interesting. I shall point him to board room shop then. He still hasn't had time to go look for boots and bindings. Hopefully he gets some time to check during his Christmas break.

Again, thank you. Everyone's been more than helpful, I really appreciate it.
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Ski/Snowboard/Gear Reviews
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »
Canada Goose can't be shipped out of the USA, interesting. I shall point him to board room shop then. He still hasn't had time to go look for boots and bindings. Hopefully he gets some time to check during his Christmas break.

Again, thank you. Everyone's been more than helpful, I really appreciate it.

Maybe I'm biased but I have a Canada goose snow mantra and i can't see why they are popular.  It's for extreme cold and arctic conditions and is the furthest thing from fashionable that i own

stefan

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 09:33:52 am »
So I took the 157 Youngblood out for the first ride of the season on Monday with Catalyst.  Conditions were unbelievably bad with rocks on the major run. The 7cm of snow they got overnight turned out to be light and fluffy, just enough to cover said rocks.

Anyway.. barring any stance changes (I need to go duck with this board as opposed to alpine and maybe dial back my forward lean), I wasn't too impressed. For a board that is  supposed to have a ton of pop (and is a 2010 Good Wood winner) it was pretty dull and uncommunicative.  I was expecting a much more lively experience coming off of my DD (a long directional all-mountain with very little flex).

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:11 pm »
just FYI for any calgary riders looking for a local shop that carries never summer.  royal boardshop in the bridgeland / crescent heights area has them, decent group of people, really willing to help you out.  they are a smaller shop that has limited selection though so i would say call ahead if there's something specific you're looking for to see if they can get it in for you.  otherwise, bindings wise they carry flux.  and for boots: northwave and celsius.   

i tried to pick up a new set of northwave boots this season and they were pretty much sold out they were so popular, kind of disappointed as i was looking forward to getting a pair.  but they are located off edmonton trail pretty much right beside diner deluxe. 

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 02:22:50 pm »
^^ Royal also carries YES boards and also Jones IIRC... decent alternative to the Source and Mission
Official Anti-Purist

Offline goodmusic

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Car 1, 2, & 3
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 03:19:18 pm »

2009 Volkl Gotama - for when mother nature loves us.

This is what I've got - in the exact same size too!

Snagged them for a good price a few seasons ago. After reading your comments, maybe that's why I'm always tired after a full day of skiing.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »
This is what I've got - in the exact same size too!

Snagged them for a good price a few seasons ago. After reading your comments, maybe that's why I'm always tired after a full day of skiing.

they are a brilliant ski and shine so well when they have pow or even chopped up crud.  not as flexible as my S7 but im not heavy enough to flex them properly.