Author Topic: 2006 WRX, 68HTA, MadDad EL headers, TBE, Husky 90  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
2006 WRX, 68HTA, MadDad EL headers, TBE, Husky 90
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »
Why tune for low octane gas?

1) [crude canine related analogy deleted]  :P
2) Winter conditions being what they are this year, even at wastegate pressure of 6-8psi, things can get sketchy so if I can't use the extra power, might as well save a few bucks and buy wings on Wednesday nights.
3) Hurricane had mentioned that he found Husky 90 to be better than the other 91 gas around so I was curious
4) My boss said I could use the dyno during "off hours" after I mop the floor ;)

The engine just broke, no, cracked, no, passed, yes passed 160,000km this November so it has been "modded" for some 140,000km.  Doing pretty well so far :)

Once the car was on the dyno, might as well find out what it would do at "normal" boost as well as with water/meth running.

WG boost peaks at around 8psi, 20psi for gas-only, and 21psi for meth.  For 94 octane, boost will peak around 22psi

[edit]
Did a baseline on a stock 2006 WRX running on 91 Octane gas

For comparison, the pump gas data for the two cars on the same plot. Horsepower traces have small markers (a bit hard to see but they are there).

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline mudferret

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
Re: 2006 WRX, 68HTA, MadDad EL headers, TBE, Husky 90
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »
Damn fine work, I was wondering when we'd see your car dyno'ed.  Impressive numbers.  Any idea, or a guess, what a stock '06 would put down for comparison?

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:08 AM »
Damn fine work, I was wondering when we'd see your car dyno'ed.  Impressive numbers.  Any idea, or a guess, what a stock '06 would put down for comparison?

That's on low octane, keep snooping and you will find the log of his car on 94  :o

Offline seat safety switch

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: 05 Saab 9-2X Linear
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »
Eventually I think I should get in so my stock car can be dynoed, so we'll have some 06 wagon comparison numbers from there.

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »
I should come visit you and see the difference with H90 as well.  Seat of the pants and the one road dyno I was able to do show that the loss isn't too great with the cooler air in winter.
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

Updated first post with stock '06 WRX data. ~176WHP.

Offline mudferret

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
Updated first post with stock '06 WRX data. ~176WHP.

Good stuff Sunny; those curves are not pretty, probably the spikiest stock curves yet.  Explains the very brief surge of power on the stock tune.   What did the AFR's look like?

I'll have a stage 2 on your dyno soon, assuming my inanimate silicone elbow shows up... 

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »
3) Hurricane had mentioned that he found Husky 90 to be better than the other 91 gas around so I was curious

So what are your thoughts on the subject Sunny?
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
Good stuff Sunny; those curves are not pretty, probably the spikiest stock curves yet.  Explains the very brief surge of power on the stock tune.   What did the AFR's look like?

I'll have a stage 2 on your dyno soon, assuming my inanimate silicone elbow shows up...

AFR and Boost. Lean until ~4000rpm.  The "peaky" torque curve is mostly due to the ECU pulling a bunch of timing around 3800rpm.

So what are your thoughts on the subject Sunny?

I don't have any Shell 91 data but it seems to be doing pretty well for being same price as 87 octane at other pumps.  Do I dare try 87 Octane? :o  Maybe not.

Offline seat safety switch

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: 05 Saab 9-2X Linear
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »
This is my '06 in the dyno chart (thanks, Sunny! the 'revised' stage 1 tune feels a lot more driveable at low throttle). From what I've heard (but not verified), the stock tune on '07s is even worse and it continues into the GH/GR era with having increasingly worse stock tunes on the 2.5L.

It would be interesting to get some stock 07 data in here eventually to compare.

Offline mudferret

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
This is my '06 in the dyno chart (thanks, Sunny! the 'revised' stage 1 tune feels a lot more driveable at low throttle). From what I've heard (but not verified), the stock tune on '07s is even worse and it continues into the GH/GR era with having increasingly worse stock tunes on the 2.5L.

It would be interesting to get some stock 07 data in here eventually to compare.

Stage 1 was an awesome feeling, so much smoother, and faster.