Author Topic: Need a favour from a Calgary member...  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Tenacious_B

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
Need a favour from a Calgary member...
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
I have a tuning appt booked with Sunny on Fri Jan 28. I'm driving down from Edmonton.

He just posted today that he doesn't want a car with studded winter tires on it on his dyno:
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=20238.0

Of course, I have studded tires, I've had to re-book several times and I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to be able to get tuned that day, so I'm wondering if someone in Calgary is willing to lend me wheels and tires for the day, they don't have to be winters or anything, they can be anything 5on114.3 that fits over Brembo's and is close in OD to 225/45/17.  The car wouldn't be driven on them, it just needs to be on the car for a few hours on the dyno.  You don't even have to be there, you can just drop them off if you like. (So long as its ok with Sunny.)

What's in it for you? The satisfaction of helping out a WSC member, and beer would be provided on request.  :P

(Yes I thought of bringing a set from edmonton, but I have two more passengers coming with me and don't have the room.)

I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
Re: Need a favour from a Calgary member...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
Good thing I put that checklist up there then ;)  Otherwise it would have been an awkward situation.  If it was 5x100 it would have been simple (my summer tire/rims).   I'll try and borrow a set of 5x114 but no promises.

To be clear, it is more of a matter of I cannot, versus "don't want to" use studded tires on the dyno.  Steel studs + steel rollers = bad for everything.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline 4stAir

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
Sorry not trying to make this harder for you I just think people should be aware that dynoing a car on winter tires does take a bit of the tread off. Not a lot by any means but enough to notice. Again I'm not trying to make this more difficult for you, I just think anyone considering this should be aware.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »
Sorry not trying to make this harder for you I just think people should be aware that dynoing a car on winter tires does take a bit of the tread off. Not a lot by any means but enough to notice. Again I'm not trying to make this more difficult for you, I just think anyone considering this should be aware.t

EDIT: Something to consider I guess, although I imagine it would be somewhat unnoticeable.

Sorry I can't help out bud.

Offline 4stAir

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
Not disputing that at all. I have an Airboy tune and freaking love it! I just didn't want someone to feel like they were helping out and then all of a sudden their tires have less tread and be all pissed off about it. Info for the masses.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Tenacious_B

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
um.....unless your spinning your tires on the dyno, or putting 5000kms on the car while being tuned I don't see how your going to put any sort of noticeable wear on the tires.

Offline seat safety switch

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: 05 Saab 9-2X Linear
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
um.....unless your spinning your tires on the dyno, or putting 5000kms on the car while being tuned I don't see how your going to put any sort of noticeable wear on the tires.
Yeah, I think I maybe put 40km on my car, tops, during my stage one baseline, test and retune. Put more on it getting there and back, and the dyno room doesn't get warm enough to actually cause the tires to degrade when it's like this.

I don't think tire wear is a huge concern, but to be honest I hadn't even considered it.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:04:47 PM »
Chances are, tires that you would be able to borrow won't be winter tires because, well, it is winter and they are currently being used :P

In any case, thanks to a generous WSC member, I have access to a set of summer tires/rims that you can borrow for the day.

Offline pearl boxer

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: will be teh fastest one day
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »
Chances are, tires that you would be able to borrow won't be winter tires because, well, it is winter and they are currently being used :P

In any case, thanks to a generous WSC member, I have access to a set of summer tires/rims that you can borrow for the day.

That's awesome man.  I'm sure Blake will really appreciate that.

Offline Tenacious_B

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »

Ah great, can you PM who it is? I need to thank them profusely.....  ;)

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:02:42 PM »
Ah great, can you PM who it is? I need to thank them profusely.....  ;)

I checked before posting, he wishes to remain anonymous.

Offline Tenacious_B

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
Well whoever you are thanks!