Author Topic: Post pics of your ride!  (Read 31880 times)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Post pics of your ride!
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:52:29 pm »
Couldn't find a thread like this so I guess I will start

Nothing special, 2004 Norco Sasquatch. Mods I have done, Truvativ handlebars, took off low gear in front and put on chain guide, cut up a bike tire for chain guard, seat, peddles, race face grips .
(stickers were mostly from when I got it, keep in mind I was 14 and they add tons of extra hp.)
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
Re: Post pics of your ride!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:55:54 am »
Norco Bigfoot; bought it a few years ago hoping to get back into riding.  Ended up commuting on it for a summer before I realized it sucks commuting on a 35+ lb bike with 2.5" tires.

A bike or two ago; 1999 RMB Blizzard.  The original free....errr...froride bike.  Can't recall if it was Reynolds 853 or 725 chromoly.  The required, "it's much steeper than it looks"

Also have an old school Kuwahara road bike, complete with Biopace rings!

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:24 pm »
Norco Bigfoot; bought it a few years ago hoping to get back into riding.  Ended up commuting on it for a summer before I realized it sucks commuting on a 35+ lb bike with 2.5" tires.

Haha I hear that, My bike weights about the same maybe a bit more and I thought it was a good Idea to put 3'' tires on for downhill, Now I commute with it.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Some random pics
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:33:50 pm »
Here are a few. 

Since the DT pic was taken the bike's tires have changed to Minions, the big ring has been replaced with a bash guard and the front fork became a Totem.

This is my most recent addition.  A Fire Mountain for commuting

My pub bike.

My project bike and Madone.

2 more to go... :)
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:10:51 pm »
sweet rides guys. 3 People with bikes on the forums! haha jk

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:10:03 pm »
Here's a couple of my Scott Spark:

Some plans for this summer:
- New bars -  I was getting back pain last year and think a riser bar may help with this
- Tires - Kenda Nevegal 2.25 DTC
- grips - lock on as mine kept twisting last year
- 5 10 Karver - can't wait as I just used old skate shoes last year and they did not stick to my pedals well enough. not wanting to go to clipless yet as I am on and off my bike too much still while working on my riding skills. Maybe later in the summer or next year.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline roadie

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 WRX wagooon
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »
Hey, I know where that Fire Mtn pic was taken!That's gotta be in the lot behind Mtn bike City down the street from my house.
Sweet Knolly, I'm more of an recovering XC racer.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:05 am »
That's gotta be in the lot behind Mtn bike City down the street from my house.
Sweet Knolly, I'm more of an recovering XC racer.
Correct!  in the last 2 years that Knolly has climbed more than most XC racers have...

Some plans for this summer:
- New bars -  I was getting back pain last year and think a riser bar may help with this
- Tires - Kenda Nevegal 2.25 DTC
- grips - lock on as mine kept twisting last year
- 5 10 Karver

If I may?

Riser bar - If your lower back is hurting you may want to start doing some abs.  A riser bar will take a bit of weight off your back, and I do mean a bit, but lower back pain is often the result of weaker lower back muscles (common issue).

Tires - The Minion DHF with the Exo protection sidewall is the best tire you can get. So, so, so grippy and light.

5-10 - I have a pair of Low Impact on order as my friend refers to them as "life changing".  Ought to be great shoes.

Offline roadie

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2005 WRX wagooon
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:27:03 pm »
Glad to hear the Knolly climbs too! I find the downhill so much more fun if I paid for it on the climb. I'm usually the only one climbing up Swansea fireroad to head down the singletrack.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:53 pm »
I'm usually the only one climbing up Swansea fireroad to head down the singletrack.

You've got me there.  That really isn't a very fun climb relative to the singletrack on the way down.  Now, the Fernie valley; that is some fun climbing.

At the end of last season I picked up a Remedy 8 for my climbing/AM days as the DT was getting to be a bit much.  Besides, the DT is a much better bike with a 180mm up front :D

Oh yeah, I also squeeze in a few thousans road miles between it being warm enough to be on the road and the trails being dry enough to ride.

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »
Correct!  in the last 2 years that Knolly has climbed more than most XC racers have...

If I may?

Riser bar - If your lower back is hurting you may want to start doing some abs.  A riser bar will take a bit of weight off your back, and I do mean a bit, but lower back pain is often the result of weaker lower back muscles (common issue).

Tires - The Minion DHF with the Exo protection sidewall is the best tire you can get. So, so, so grippy and light.

5-10 - I have a pair of Low Impact on order as my friend refers to them as "life changing".  Ought to be great shoes.

Hmm, some new tires to think about. From what i red today they seem to fit what i want. I really am looking for a good all arond tire. basically, realatively low rolling resistance, good in the wet/mud, good in dry and hard pack, roots, etc. The Nevegal was what I ha found so far but maybe the minion DHF will fit the bill better.

I am excited for the Karvers, I tried on he freerides and they were soo comfy, just didn't get them as I tend to ride whether it is wet or dry so wanted the karvers with the flap over the laces to assist in keeping my feet dry.

I am currently working on dropping about 25-30 pounds from myself over the winter so part of that is building my core muscles so maybe I will find this year that I am not getting any lower ba pain. I will hold off on that purchase for the time being.

I really would like to replace my rear shock as well as it just never felt very goo last year compared to what I hink it should be, but after some research I am thinking it is just set-up improperly for me. So I am just going to get a shock pump for now and sart playing a bit with pressure and the preload settingsto see if I can get it right. The fork I got dialed in mid way through the summer but I will have to adjust it this summer fo air pressure since I will be lighter.

I figure it is better to play with what i havefor now and work on my skills rather than try to get better equipment before I really need to, as what I have is already quite good, even if on the low end of the market.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:48:15 am »
Riser bar

Back in the mid-late 90's when risers first started appearing, it was one of the absolute best bang/buck upgrades I made to my bike.  Hard to believe we had to ride on flat, narrow bars prior to that.  Help you breath better as well.

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:37:23 am »
I shudder at the memory of 18"-20" flat bars.

"Hey Dude.  my pg109 is the lightest bar on the market and it'll never snap!"

Shanty: Good on ya for the weight loss goals!  Certainly look to set up before upgrading.  You need to really be in touch with your bike to notice differences in rear shocks.  If things still aren't right once you have your set up dialed (pressure, damping & tire pressure) I'd wager a real solution will be a different frame, not a shock. 

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 09:17:56 am »
Thnaks! I figure it will make things a lot easier for biking if I just lose the weight of my bike off myself, it will be like I have no extra weight over just my old self going up the hill. lol.

Hopefully I can get things feeling good this year for my bike as I don't want to have to replace it. In any case, I am sure I will be looking for tips on how to set things up come summer time. This was my first full suspension bike so I didn't play with settings on the rear much after the shop set it up. This summer I am looking to play more to get things a little more plush, was just to harsh and bouncy last year on the rough stuff.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:58 am »
Air shocks are by their very nature a little harsher but there is a lot you can do to smooth things out.  A $20 shock pump and a way to keep notes will go a long way to setting things up properly. 

Offline Shanty

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:52:17 am »
Yep, that is the plan. Get a shock pump and start adjusting the pressures from there. Also learn how to use the preload/rebound adjustment (can't remember which it is on mine right now) and see what changing that does for me. Will work on the air pressure first with zero set on the other adjustment and then try adjusting it once I find a good air pressure.
Colin
05 RS Sportwagon (His)
02 Foz (Hers)
98 Foz (sold)

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:56 am »
Don't forget tire pressure.  Rolling on 28psi rather than 40psi will smooth out the ride for ya.

If you switch to Minions with the Exo protection you'll be able to run considerably less pressure than the Nevegals.  Nevegals get their light weight by having tissue paper strong sidewalls (hello pinch flats) whereas the Minions get it with superior construction and surprisingly resiliant sidewalls.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 11:28:46 pm »
Pictures here.

Opus and Rocky bikes are up for sale.

Rocky is around 18" (too small for me, hence the bar ends)
Opus is awesome, just not riding it at all.

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 12:37:17 pm »
^Nice blizz.  I miss mine, it was so supple and smooth on the trail.  I sold mine a few years ago for peanuts, and regret it to this day whether I'd presently be riding it or not.

I think the blizzards came in 1/2" frame sizes IIRC, mine was an 18.5".  Cockpit is extremely short compared to the frame size however, was definitely closer to other "18's".

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 12:46:55 pm »
Lots of nice bikes in here guys  :) I would like to say I have something to add to my bike or list of bikes but I do not see that happening anytime soon, Well, at least until I start making money again when I am done school  :P Anyways I have been thinking of picking up a trials unicycle however, my friend here in Camrose had one so I dedicated quite a few hours into learning it and I have to say its pretty fun. (Insert Circus Music to be stuck in your head for at least the next ten minutes)

Offline shave

• Patchy Faced
  • CHU CHU
  • Ride: 07 sti
Post pics of your ride!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:10 pm »
Hey guys good to see some bikers on here! Im away on work so I can't get pics but here you are

2005 norco a-line custom build (to much to list)

2004 specialized xc (cross country turned into a dirt jumper!)

2007 haro dirtjumper (Bmx)

As well as a 05 kona stinky deluxe (dont really ride it cause I won it in bc and I truly don't really like kona. Personal preference not to say their not nice)