Author Topic: 2021 Biking Thread  (Read 240 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
2021 Biking Thread
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:34:20 pm »
I started my season a bit early this year with a rip down to the North Shore at the end of March.

All of my skiing and skating this past winter has kept me in fantastic shape, and I was very pleased with my non-stop/direct time from the Fromme parking lot all the way to the Expresso trailhead.

What are your guys' goals for this year? Planning to ride anywhere new? Has anyone managed to snag a new rig for the season?

Offline soulindk

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2016 Outback 3.6R
Re: 2021 Biking Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:51:11 am »
No new bike this year. Though I wish I had grabbed a Transition last year when they had the Patrol on for a good price. So instead, this year I picked up a NX Eagle groupset to upgrade the old 2x9 that was on my Giant. I also did a full service on my fork and all of the pivot bearings and headset bearings. If anyone is going to be converting to a DUB BSA BB, don't forget that you'll need a 12 point bottom bracket wrench/tool. I didn't realize that when I ordered the BB and of course no shops around here sell them, so I had to wait an extra week for the tool to arrive. Oh well.

But I got out for the maiden voyage on the weekend and put 15 km on. My lack of staying active over the winter and the past year really showed and it kicked my assay. And we don't have trails anywhere near the level of the north shore here in Toronto.
Smart went crazy and rode a unicorn through the storm. - Atmosphere

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 04:31:57 pm »
I've wanted a new bike for a couple years now, but can't justify it with how little I've ridden. My biking excitement lies in us having just got a Thule so we can trailer our 18 month old around. At least it let's us ride our bikes again.

But damn am I jelous of that North Shore shot, amazing! I've always wanted to ride there.

We have some wetlands right by our place in Mahogany so now that it's nicer, I'm going to start bombing that during my lunch to get back in shape and get some seat time in. Not as exciting as trail riding, but oh well.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 10:41:56 pm »
No new bike this year. Though I wish I had grabbed a Transition last year when they had the Patrol on for a good price. So instead, this year I picked up a NX Eagle groupset to upgrade the old 2x9 that was on my Giant. I also did a full service on my fork and all of the pivot bearings and headset bearings. If anyone is going to be converting to a DUB BSA BB, don't forget that you'll need a 12 point bottom bracket wrench/tool. I didn't realize that when I ordered the BB and of course no shops around here sell them, so I had to wait an extra week for the tool to arrive. Oh well.

But I got out for the maiden voyage on the weekend and put 15 km on. My lack of staying active over the winter and the past year really showed and it kicked my assay. And we don't have trails anywhere near the level of the north shore here in Toronto.

I run an 11x NX setup on my commencal, and it's great. I haven't really had any issues with it in my two years of using it, and I find that the 11 gears are great for everything I do. If I hit a big bike park like Whistler this year (fingers crossed that it actually opens and we can safely ride), i'll rent. Anything other than Whistler though, I take my commencal just because I have so much travel and I don't really do any massive drops or jumps anyways.

I've wanted a new bike for a couple years now, but can't justify it with how little I've ridden. My biking excitement lies in us having just got a Thule so we can trailer our 18 month old around. At least it let's us ride our bikes again.

But damn am I jelous of that North Shore shot, amazing! I've always wanted to ride there.

We have some wetlands right by our place in Mahogany so now that it's nicer, I'm going to start bombing that during my lunch to get back in shape and get some seat time in. Not as exciting as trail riding, but oh well.

See if you can't find someone selling one they impulse bought last year haha. Might be a long shot, but they are out there. I'd assume that if the general population is more or less vaccinated by mid-summer, people might start to ditch the hobbies they picked up last year like golf and biking.

The North Shore is truly a special place. I pretty much bring my bike down every time i'm in Vancouver just because I can't pass it up. Even if it's just a couple of laps, I always have such a good time.

Where is Mahogany? South Calgary, right? By Fish Creek? Cause I know of a few trails in Fish Creek that are really good! Would love to have those in my backyard, but instead i'm just very itinerant and plan on brining my bike with me everywhere I go this summer.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 09:17:40 am »
I used to ride like 15 years ago when I was in school but got busy and stopped. Finally have some time again so I picked up a Process 134 CR 29. It's been a ton of fun so far.

DaDuke99

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 02:08:40 pm »
Always liked the Kona geometry, may not be the strongest but it's pretty stylish. Been thinking a new type of bike for me, I don't get a lot of actual downhill use to justify such a big heavy frame (Stinky D) but it keeps me slow enough for everyone to keep up I guess.  ^-^
Where is Mahogany? South Calgary, right? By Fish Creek? Cause I know of a few trails in Fish Creek that are really good! Would love to have those in my backyard, but instead i'm just very itinerant and plan on brining my bike with me everywhere I go this summer.

Fish Creek is great, was out there twice in the last week, surprisingly dry in most parts... will be out a couple more times before the weekend.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 09:00:17 pm »
My 2008 Remedy is getting real loose in the hips, but she still shreds hard. Maybe do a 1x conversion this summer?

Mt. Fromme is a really good time. I need to get back out to Whistler/Squamish and do your mom again.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 10:32:44 pm »
Come say hello when you get here

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 10:06:33 am »
Furthest SE you can get. Not very close to Fish Creek, I went there all the time when I was in Millrise.

I used to ride like 15 years ago when I was in school but got busy and stopped. Finally have some time again so I picked up a Process 134 CR 29. It's been a ton of fun so far.

The new Kona's get lots of love. They'd be on my short list if I did get a new ride.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 03:34:42 pm »
The new Kona's get lots of love. They'd be on my short list if I did get a new ride.

I was really set on a SC but every experienced rider I talked to said the Process was a better when comparing similarly priced models. I'm not good enough to tell the difference tbh, but it's good to know that one day I might be able to.

Offline Anskiere

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 10 sti, 90 300ZX
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 07:03:21 pm »
I basically live right by East lands and I've been riding a bit this spring to try to restore some conditioning. Rough ski season so I'm not in was good shape as I'd like. Going to try to make it down to Whistler at some point this summer and hopefully the lines aren't too bad. M

y parents live on the ski hill at Fernie so will get a lot of laps there but SUPER disappointed that timber isn't opening this summer. Like disappointment of the year. Will make it to KH and silver star a few times and hopefully to Sun peaks and/or big white to check them out. I've got a 2019 Nomad and a 2015 remedy for the trails

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2021, 09:26:52 am »
Had a few great rides on the new rigs at moose already.

Everything was running pretty and wasn't to busy with the virtual enduro going on

DaDuke99

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 04:19:21 pm »
What's the thing strapped above your rear shock, is that a spare?
Interesting little storage spot

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 05:47:04 pm »
What's the thing strapped above your rear shock, is that a spare?
Interesting little storage spot

Yea it has a rubberized storage area for things like a tube / C02 and tire levers.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 10:19:07 am »
Ended up buying a seasons pass at Revelstoke this year given that it was only $250. The mountain continues to be super raw and lengthy, but I still enjoy it every time I ride.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 12:06:23 pm »
Ended up buying a seasons pass at Revelstoke this year given that it was only $250. The mountain continues to be super raw and lengthy, but I still enjoy it every time I ride.

Looks awesome hope to be heading that way next week

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 06:01:20 pm »
Looks awesome hope to be heading that way next week

Let me know when you're planning on heading out. I'll be in the Columbia Valley in the latter half of next week, so thinking of riding Panorama at some point.