Author Topic: Mayan Riviera and Hurricanes? Vacation July 20-27 need your thoughts!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline redevil

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • redevil's Car Domain
  • Ride: '11 Acura RDX Tech Pkg
Hey so I'm planning on going on a 1 week holiday to the Mayan Riviera on July 20th.  I haven't booked anything yet, but what are the chances that bad weather or a hurricane will come?  That is what I'm worried about, a hurricane or tropical storm coming through.  I was reading somewhere that this year has a higher chance or greater forcast for more tropical storms or hurricanes.  This is going to be my honeymoon, so don't really want it to be ruined by one. 

I got married there and we had so much fun back in January that we want to go ourselves for our honeymoon. 

If you have any other suggestions as to where else to go please posts it up.  We were looking to go to Las Vegas but we have been there, done that already. 

HELP me decide.

Thanks ???

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Red,

I go every year first week February, or third week February, i have also gone in November, March, October

November is cold there, the pool was so cold my sons lips were blue, so we spent 90% of our time in the Ocean, dips into the 7 ish range at night
Febuary is warm, the pool was fantastic this year, dips in to the 20ish range at night. Turtles and sweet snorkeling this time of year.
March is spring so lots of flowers etc. Dont remember the temp, Very much like Febuary but starting to warm.
October is the fall so its starting to cool off, very much like November
AVOID JULY AND AUGUST :) to freakin hot!

If you go to any travel agency, or a couple and ask them specifically they will tell you, if you go to more than one you will know whos fibbing.
Marlen in bonnie doon is quite good, no staff turnover there.

I always stay at barcelo
www.barcelo.com

I personally find that a 3 star may be cheaper but there is a reason for it. Barcelo goes from a 3-6 star at the same facility.
If you go 5 star you have access to all the facility below that, including alacart and kids pavilions etc. but you don't have access to the 6 star, that i know of. You can walk around and check it all out though.
There are several ways to book, i personally always go through air transat, but this is a personal preference, you can also do air Canada, at the hotels they have places with tour type peple and airline people that help keep an eye on flights, they change, CHECK THEM 2 days before you leave.
There are also several ways to book, air transat website, air canada website, some travel agents have websites.

If your serious send me a PM and you can add me to face book, then you can see all my pictures from the last couple of trips.
I would be happy to meet you for coffee and go over any questions you have. I can take you to meet my travel agent contacts, they treat me very nice and go through them for 90% of my trips now. Vegas, Mexico etc.

By the way, im not a travel agent, i just love Mexico!
I also herd on the radio today that vegas is only at 90% occupancy, the lowest in 18 years, might be a good time to go :)

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
We were stuck in Hurricane Francis on our honeymoon and it sucked.  Noone even mentioned the possibility until we were already in Miami.

Hurricane season starts in Aug I think, so you may be okay.  Good luck!

Offline redevil

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • redevil's Car Domain
We were stuck in Hurricane Francis on our honeymoon and it sucked.  Noone even mentioned the possibility until we were already in Miami.

Hurricane season starts in Aug I think, so you may be okay.  Good luck!

man that sucks, hurricane season started on June 1st!  :-\  there is one just off the coast as we speak, but that one isn't going to hit the Mayan.  I'm just worried that if we book last minute for July 20th that something might pop up when we are there.   ???  so confused with what to do right now.  go...or don't go....

Offline darkrid3r

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
I say just go, its vacation, go with the flow :)

be it gusty or not.

Offline redevil

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • redevil's Car Domain
I say just go, its vacation, go with the flow :)

be it gusty or not.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  We are probably going to book the trip this weekend, so far no signs of more hurricanes brewing of the coast.  Wish us luck!