Author Topic: A.J.'s STI  (Read 35552 times)

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
Re: A.J.'s STI
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »
If you have a flat, smooth service you can do an alignment via the string method.

Yeah... about that... when all 4 corners were up on jackstands (set to the same height) only 3 of them made contact... so I don't really trust that my garage floor is very level.

BTW, your Subaru looked badass.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2014, 01:14:42 pm »
Yeah... about that... when all 4 corners were up on jackstands (set to the same height) only 3 of them made contact... so I don't really trust that my garage floor is very level.

BTW, your Subaru looked badass.

Thank you sir.

IIRC, as long as the strings are centred on the hub, it won't matter so much for toe. Someone can correct me.

It's not like you are doing an alignment on a lift, with the wheels off, aligning the bottom of the front rotor with the rear tire and front fender......

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2014, 12:54:04 pm »
Yeehaw!!!

(Mod list updated)
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #253 on: April 01, 2014, 05:45:38 pm »
DAMD steering wheel installed.

:)

Thanks Shane, looks awesome.

I'll post a picture when I'm done driving it.  ;D

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #254 on: April 01, 2014, 07:17:46 pm »

Oh good, I was busy all day and never got a chance to check if you were happy with it.

otakusan

« Reply #255 on: April 01, 2014, 08:17:23 pm »

Ahh... so you got it  8)  have to see this in person sometime.. thinking about picking one up also  :)

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2014, 08:00:09 pm »
Giggity :D Thanks again Shane.

And then this happened sometime today... :(

Yup, a screwdriver bit... Hopefully I can find a used matching tire...

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:18 pm »
Thanks! You found the bit I lost for my screwdriver!

That really sucks though. But at least you have that awesome DAMD wheel now. I want one soooo badly or maybe a Prova D shaped wheel. But they are so expensive :(

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2014, 09:51:22 pm »
Giggity :D Thanks again Shane.

The look on Shane's face when he installed that in his car was priceless.  As was the body parts he said to express his joy!  Good looking wheel AJ :) 

I want one soooo badly or maybe a Prova D shaped wheel. But they are so expensive :(

Wurf it :)
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2014, 05:00:07 pm »
So since my car is out of commission for a bit, I decided to do something that has been on my to-do all winter. Remove the intercooler and see just how bad my turbo outlet hose has gotten.

The news is not good. I won't be putting it back on until I get a new one. uckfaying worm drive hose clamps...

Might also be time to look into a catch can or AOS... Looks like quite a bit of oil, but only down by 1L over the 6000km interval last time (seems normal?).

In other news, I shoved a patch in the uckfayed up tire. Seems to be holding pressure for now, but the sidewall is screwed (small bubble forming) so I hope I don't have a blowout. If it holds it should last at least the rest of this winter, maybe next winter, too.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #260 on: September 01, 2016, 10:29:24 pm »
Well.... Digging this up from page 5...

I haven't really done much to my car since I've last posted, except drive it... This summer not so much though, back in April I threw it up on the hoist for an oil change and discovered a badly leaking power steering rack. I pulled out the rack and didn't do much about it until a week ago. I finally ordered a replacement rack from Scott Subaru in red deer (beat rally Subaru's price by $200 and then gave me a WSC discount!), I highly recommend them for parts.

So I now have in my possession a 2015 STI steering rack. Physically they are the same as the older generation, but its the insides that count. It will improve the steering ratio from 15:1 to 13:1.

My plan is to get it installed this weekend and then hopefully be back to driving my STI as soon as possible.

Offline jakesubie

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1990 240sx
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2016, 08:24:26 am »
Good choice on the 15 sti rack. I'm curious to hear if you feel any notable difference.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2016, 08:34:55 am »
Well I haven't driven the car in almost 5 months so I'm not sure if I will notice it. But if you want to do a side by side comparison sometime once its installed let me know and we can make that happen.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2019, 08:49:57 am »
Well, after some time of trouble-free daily driving I've now got a possible big issue.  :-\ :-\

I did the timing belt replacement a couple months ago, changed a couple other things while I was in there. I've been smelling coolant intermittently since then, but I just thought it was due to what was spilled and burning off of the engine. Well, this morning as I pulled into work I got a strong scent of burning oil, followed by some smoke that was lingering longer than exhaust fog. I checked the oil dipstick and it nearly popped out due to crankcase pressure (normal I guess?) and the oil looked suspiciously milky... So I think I've got a bad head gasket to deal with now.  :'(

I guess I'll be pulling the engine sooner than I had hoped. Does anyone have any links to good DIY threads or tips and pointers for an engine pull and head gasket repair?

I was hoping to be able to do this in the warm summertime, not the -30 we've been plunged back into... but oh well.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2019, 05:57:40 pm »
Looks like I may not have a blown head gasket after all. I'm thinking it was just a frozen PCV. Checked the oil this morning and it's clean, and no oil or bubbles in the coolant. I'm going to keep monitoring it to make sure no symptoms re-appear. I guess I got lucky  >:D

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2019, 08:04:03 am »
Looks like I may not have a blown head gasket after all. I'm thinking it was just a frozen PCV. Checked the oil this morning and it's clean, and no oil or bubbles in the coolant. I'm going to keep monitoring it to make sure no symptoms re-appear. I guess I got lucky  >:D

Good to read, I hope you got lucky. The frozen PCV is way too common, often resulting in catastrophic failures. A few years back a buddy of mine (and old member on here, URABUS) was commuting just over an hour away everyday and back for school. Froze the PCV on the highway and by the time there was any signs of it, it was far too late. It lost roughly 2/3 of the oil capacity all out the exhaust. Early morning drive too, so he didn't see any smoke of course. At least it was all warranty, being a 2011 WRX Limited at approx. 30k km back in 2013.

Do you block off your hood scoop at all in the winter months? With the itshay temperatures we see for a good portion of the winter, I started doing this on my Forester as a precaution. Still more than enough cold air making it's way in from the front, especially from -20 to -40 hahah. Airboy had a good reminder post on here or FB (maybe both) not long ago about some winter precautions.
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2019, 07:30:56 am »
At my last oil change I figured out the cause of my coolant smell. One of the bolts for the thermostat outlet was loose. Probably loosened by mistake when removing the timing cover (it's right next to one of the cover bolts), and it never got re-tightened or checked during re-assembly. After tightening I haven't had an issue with coolant smell, so all is good there :)

In other news, my wife just got a new car. Factory ordered 2019 MINI Cooper JCW. It's an awesome shade of blue and is so much fun to drive. The down side of this is that I now want a new car. I've got over 175000km on my STI now since I use it as my daily driver. I really like the car, and it's done well for me so it pains me to consider replacing it, but all of the new techno gadgets in newer cars these days is amazing and at the end of the day, it's an 8 year old car that's quickly approaching 200000km. I've started looking at all manufacturers for something worthy of a successor to the STI. Here's the highlights so far (In no particular order):

Audi RS3
Ford Focus RS
Mercedes CLA45AMG
Kia Stinger GT
VW Golf R

I definitely have a favourite on this list *cough*RS3*cough* and it's not an exhaustive list of options. The requirements are: Fun to drive, competent in winter (AWD highly favoured), Manual would be nice, but dual clutch transmissions are taking over in this segment. I don't really have a set budget yet, but seeing prices that start with an 8 make me cringe, so that's probably my top end...

On a related note, if anyone is interested in a conservatively modded 2011 STI with 176000km thats slightly rough around the edges let me know ;)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2019, 08:59:14 am »
As someone who just did a ton of research, and ended up on a GTI, can offer the Genesis G70 as a better option over the Golf R? I love the Golf, but the price tag on the R is just not worth it when you compare it against something like the G70. It definitely feels between brackets. Way more than a GTI for ideally just some more power, and AWD, but not quite as much as some of the nicer luxury sports sedans. Also G70 > Stinger GT.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2019, 09:28:37 am »
I'll second the GTI

I have some sholeasays old DCT GTI.  It's grey and had a bunch of weird stickers on it

:sarcasm: :angel:

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2019, 09:36:29 am »
GTI is FWD only right?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #270 on: May 08, 2019, 09:40:42 am »
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #271 on: May 08, 2019, 10:27:49 am »
GTI is FWD only right?

Yes, but now the LSD and power package come standard in the base, rather than being a separate option. You seem to be looking 1 class higher than the GTI, and I feel that the Golf R straddles that line between the GTI and the S3. Considering you're looking at an RS3, I feel like a G70 would be a better option (than even the Kia Stinger GT).
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2019, 10:47:02 am »
I drove a TTRS (same engine, trans and quattro as the RS3) at the Audi dealership last night... Holy crap its insane. Could definitely get used to that.

I feel like a GTI would be a step backwards from the STI, but that could be more of a perception than anything... The STI is still so good that its hard to justify a step down or a lateral move... Going up a class definitely makes the decision to change more valid (and easier to swallow).

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2019, 10:53:45 am »
Which is why I'm saying you should look at a G70 over a Golf R. I'm not recommending a GTI at all.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2019, 12:24:03 pm »
Which is why I'm saying you should look at a G70 over a Golf R. I'm not recommending a GTI at all.

I just checked out the G70, Q50 and Stinger GT online and they all seem too big and 'old man' ish for my tastes at this point...