Author Topic: Electronic dance music (EDM)  (Read 19143 times)

Offline zewks

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2 feet & a heart beat
Electronic dance music (EDM)
« on: February 27, 2011, 01:22:01 am »
Ayone here into dubstep? Im so into nero and Neds dead. This is my fav track right now
.... add em if you got em!
Pin it to win it

Offline twitchsti

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: FA20DIT
Re: Dub?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:20 am »
 :D

Offline TOMBONOMBONA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RAWR!!!!!!
  • Ride: 2012 370Z
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:04:00 am »

This car is more fun than the entire French air force crashing into a firework factory.

AWDFTW

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:11:28 am »
I dunno why people think this is music.

To each his own I guess ...

Offline inthemarket

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: is big enough for five, and a canine
Dub?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:10:40 pm »
Music:
"an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner"

I would say dub applies to that
Mitch's car runs on unicorn blood, its rubber is sourced from the hooves of pegasus', and it drives on rainbows and dreams.
It uses infi-boost, smells like Japan, and is fast as tits.

Offline TOMBONOMBONA

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • RAWR!!!!!!
  • Ride: 2012 370Z
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:47:20 pm »
I dunno why people think this is music.

To each his own I guess ...
I don't know why people think screaming into a mic and bashing drums is music. It is all about the perception of the listener. You may not like it, so don't listen to it.
This car is more fun than the entire French air force crashing into a firework factory.

AWDFTW

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:20 pm »
I think its pretty clear I don't listen to it, haha. 

I just think it's silly that any nerd that can patch sample pieces together with a computer thinks they're a musician now; and that people think it's music. 

I like my music to be played by musicians, with real instruments, and lyrics, written by the musicians and sung properly.

As I said, to each his own. I just don't have robot ears I guess. Or else I'm a musician so I appreciate real music. 

Offline zewks

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:31:19 pm »
Haha I got robot ears for sure. Derp derp
Pin it to win it

Offline twitchsti

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: FA20DIT
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:34:05 pm »
I think its pretty clear I don't listen to it, haha. 

I just think it's silly that any nerd that can patch sample pieces together with a computer thinks they're a musician now; and that people think it's music. 

I like my music to be played by musicians, with real instruments, and lyrics, written by the musicians and sung properly.

As I said, to each his own. I just don't have robot ears I guess. Or else I'm a musician so I appreciate real music.

Do you classify this as music or is it still just noise in your definition?  :o ??? :-\

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:17:00 pm »
Or else I'm a musician so I appreciate real music. 

I was sort of with you until you took this cheap shot...for a guy who believes in keeping an open mind that was a pretty narrow-minded comment.

AWDFTW

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:05 am »
Haha whatever, I'm kind of an sholeasay. I don't even think that was cheap. You play an instrument for 15 years and watch these 'computer musicians' with hardly an ounce of talent take over. You can't have a bar band and make a bit of money anymore because all the clubs are electronic music and all the bars are 'open jam'. Now, DJ's go around making money off other people's work. Bah .. whatever.

Maybe I'm itchbaying more about DJ's than electronic music, they're plagiarists. I just hate how all my techno friends think dubstep is this whole new big huge crazy thing ... sounds the same to me, for their sake I've tried to listen to it ... 

Electronic music is still music, because it makes people dance, I just don't see art there, or talent. A computer did it.

Sorry for bashing something you enjoy, to each his own I said, and I meant it - I just got a little abrasive with my opinion there.

Offline skylineguv

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Forum turncoat
  • Ride: '15 Macan Turbo - Jet Black
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:48 am »
Chase and Status are getting a lot of iPod play time with me right now.
Going to have to listen to a little more Katy B as I liked 'Katy on a Mission'

One of the few things I miss from the UK is the ease of finding decent dance music (all genres) on the radio etc.

Offline 4stAir

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 STi
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »
Skrillex. That is all.
"I don't understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?"-Jeremy Clarkson

Offline zewks

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:10 am »
Chase and Status are getting a lot of iPod play time with me right now.
Going to have to listen to a little more Katy B as I liked 'Katy on a Mission'

One of the few things I miss from the UK is the ease of finding decent dance music (all genres) on the radio etc.

I agree Calgary radio is crap, even Deadmonton has some decent tunes on the radio. Calgarys radio FAIL.
Pin it to win it

Offline blame

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • rides spanning 20 years of boosted goodness
  • Ride: Pretty much everything
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 12:13:58 pm »

Ha ha just kidding, lots of good stuff in here

-Sean
AWDsome.

Offline lynx440

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 02:02:46 pm »
Haha whatever, I'm kind of an sholeasay. I don't even think that was cheap. You play an instrument for 15 years and watch these 'computer musicians' with hardly an ounce of talent take over. You can't have a bar band and make a bit of money anymore because all the clubs are electronic music and all the bars are 'open jam'. Now, DJ's go around making money off other people's work. Bah .. whatever.

Maybe I'm itchbaying more about DJ's than electronic music, they're plagiarists. I just hate how all my techno friends think dubstep is this whole new big huge crazy thing ... sounds the same to me, for their sake I've tried to listen to it ... 

Electronic music is still music, because it makes people dance, I just don't see art there, or talent. A computer did it.

Sorry for bashing something you enjoy, to each his own I said, and I meant it - I just got a little abrasive with my opinion there.

Embrace the variety man. 
I agree that "dubstep" is just a flashy name for what used to be called "electronica" and "techno" and before that..."dance music".   I don't like how everyone feels the need to whittle out a definition of their music.  It's just to make it easier to organize their ipod playlists I guess. 
I've listened to all the samples in this thread.  I liked the NERO and the MT EDEN stuff, but disliked the others.  But I'm glad that we have a variety of music out there to enjoy.  Some forms of music lend themselves well to live venues.  Rock and country for instance.  I find that most concerts with any type of hip hop or rap in them lack quality.  The fact is that electronics are used so heavily in the album production that when they try to duplicate it live, it falls way short of the sound you came to appreciate from the group.  But just because they sound bad live, doesn't mean the band is less talented.  The talent just goes into different areas. 

Offline 93ScoobyD

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 06 LGT, 11' Gsxr 600
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 02:58:11 pm »

I realize you have a point involving talent with instruments, but you cannot say that DJ's do not have talent. I dare you to grab even one turntable and try mixing in a numerous amount of beats into making something sound great, it is talent whether you like it or not. And not just dubstep. Drum and bass, glitch, techno, electronica, synthetic and trance. All of it is talent. But zewks, I don't have access to a pc, but watch Bassnectar-Timestretch (west coast remix)
I used it on my old legacy, I just poored the whole can in the gas tank and enjoyed white smoke all week

Offline Tyler_B

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 STi Sedan
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 03:22:25 pm »
Do you classify this as music or is it still just noise in your definition?  :o ??? :-\

^---That was killer track. Music is a form of expression regardless of its format. I've dabbled in creating music using programs like Fruity Loops and the like but it is hella hard. There is talent there just as much as there is emotion. I'm not a fan of hour long, drawn out guitar solos but people still drool over Jimmy Hendrix and what his acid trips produced. I'm also a musician with some years under my belt with a limited variety of instruments. I hate bar bands because the majority of the time, in order to play in a bar, you need to do X number of covers and I'm not talking good covers. They want a band to go on and play Sweet Home Alabama note for note or some crap by AC/DC. Where is the talent in that? It isn't any different than a DJ mixing.

Fun Fact: Marshall Amps = Invented by a British drummer by the name of Jim Marshall. Drummers FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MofoMurphdog?feature=mhum

Offline b00mzila

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1996 JDM Impreza WRX V-Limited
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 04:23:13 pm »
This is a HUGE debate with a lot of people i know! For me i LOVE Dubstep. I dont need a definition to tell me what music is. Music to me is whatever makes me want to sing along, dance, rock out, nod my head, or thrash to! I love all genres (maybe not so much country :P) but honestly, I believe Dubstep is very new to most of North America and its getting a lot of hype here now beacuse of just how fricken catchy it is. i have a few hundred different dubstep songs on my ipod now ( a lot of them being skrillex, zeds dead, borgore, ect) and theres not a single one that dosent want to make me break out in a crazy dance and a serious head nod while im crusing around.

But theres the otherside where i can totally see where people get so upset about it. Its just a computer making that noise...
But look at it this way. Its just a guitar.. or piano.. or violin thats making the sound. Yes sombodys playing the notes but somebosy is also playing the notes on that computer as well. Creating the different frequencies and tones beats, bass lines, vocal ect that goes into that song. it isent easy to make a catchy and good song for anybody.

In my personal opinion i love dubstep. Its makes me move and thats whats music to my ears :D

Offline zewks

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 10:12:49 pm »
Pin it to win it

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 12:14:24 am »
My favourite nerd who patches samples together with a computer is Trent Reznor... You may have heard of him. :)
I'm a fan of that I cannot readily find on vibe 98.5 or similar one line wonders.

There are some SICK tracks in here! Keep them comping!
But what's talking without contributing...

Press play and smokem if you gottem...

and YEA.. I AM going to post this, it was a big hit when I played it on the houseboat last year, the top40 heads and dubheads both enjoyed :) hopefully you guys will too.

aanndd some Bassnectar:

entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

AWDFTW

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 08:41:21 am »
I realize you have a point involving talent with instruments, but you cannot say that DJ's do not have talent. I dare you to grab even one turntable and try mixing in a numerous amount of beats into making something sound great, it is talent whether you like it or not. And not just dubstep. Drum and bass, glitch, techno, electronica, synthetic and trance. All of it is talent. But zewks, I don't have access to a pc, but watch Bassnectar-Timestretch (west coast remix)

I will retract my comment and say that yes, DJ's definitely possess talent. But to me they aren't 'musicians'. Or they are a completely different variety. They are musicians like someone that creates a collage from a hundred paintings is an artist. No, I couldn't jump on a turntable and make it sound great, because I don't think electronic music sounds great, for one, and also - I'm not a DJ. I don't have talent inserting tampons either, but I've never tried. I also can't jump in a rally car and win a rally, because I've never trained to. If I spend 30 hours in front of some turntables with some records, and a friend showing mw what to do, I'm fully confident that I could produce something the would sound great to at least a handful of people, but I have no desire to. I like music live, and I like to see musicians performing it, not electronics, that's just my opinion.

People like it, it sells, so they do it - and good for them. I know well enough that if I don't like something I can say my bit and then ignore it. It's my choice to get offended or to hate it or to have whatever reaction I want to it .... I shouldn't expect it to go away because I don't like it.

That said, some of those DJs have more talent, more musical knowledge, and more enthusiasm and love for music than many, if not the vast majority, of the top 40 ullbayitshay that fills our major airwaves.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »
3 Chord Grunge FTW :) While I'm all for live music, it goes very well with beer - I like to chill out to weird and obscure beats as much as I like to chill out to jass, classical, rock, metal or what have you.
Never the less, timestrech. That's what I was thinking of earlier.
a comment: "I stomp puddles in slow motion to this itshay" hahah

entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline zewks

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »
Pin it to win it

Offline b00mzila

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1996 JDM Impreza WRX V-Limited