Author Topic: Dudes on/in newer boots (boarding)  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Offthegrid

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '09 DGM STi
Dudes on/in newer boots (boarding)
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:15:58 pm »
Given the good amount of information offered in the "Dudes on newer boards" thread, I wanted to start this thread.   I have to admit that the hilarious thread in the Rant forum about people dragging there feet when they walk inspired me. 

Boarding boots are probably the most important part of the overall setup if not the most.  I have had some really sketchy boots and some really nice ones, but like my current plank, my boots are really old.  I currently slip into a pair of thritytwo's circa 2005, they have the removable insert and are really quite nice, but the lacing system sucks and they don't offer such a snug fit any longer.  I'm fairly certain that the cushioning system is done for.  I wanted to see what everyone thinks about some of the newer lacing systems, i.e. thirtytwo Focus Boa's, etc...  The idea of "Quick" lace and the ability to really fine tune the tension across your whole foot, also some of the new cushioning gels/pads/air seem interesting.  Thoughts, experiences?
My only purpose in life is to take perfectly good atmosphere and compress the F out of it.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
Re: Dudes on/in newer boots (boarding)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »
I have a pair of DC' Graphics with a boa lacing system and really like it, really easy to tighten and adjust the boot and good even tension throughout the whole boot. I have heard people not liking the boa for that reason if they like to tension the boot differently in the top/bottom but I don't find it a problem, not dealing with stiff frozen laces and cold hands would take allot of small complaints to overcome. My boots also have the inflatable liners to adjust the support around the ankle which is also a great feature. They are the only DC boots I have had but am really impressed with them both in fit, function and quality. Only other thing I can really compare them to is a few pairs of Forum boots I had before them which were not nearly as comfortable.

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:12:10 pm »
I have a set of Forum boots with a multi zone quick lace. I'm not very impressed by them. They feel like they keep loosening off while riding. They were more comfortable than the thirty two's that I tried, but I'm sure there's better out there. I will definitely be looking at DC for my next set. The quick lace is on my must have list, and one of my buddies has some DC's and loves them. When I asked him about them the one thing that stuck with me is this: DC was a shoe company first, so they know how to make then comfortable.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:32:28 am »
I tired on a dozen pairs of boots yesterday ranging from $125 to $450.  I ended up buying a pair of Burton Driver X with the Speed Lacing system.  Solomon has a tech'ier lace up and some very stiff boots but they was almost too much going on, leading to a pain point on the inside of the boots. I also didn't find the ratchet systems to close terrible well.

Watching friends that board a lot the Burton system seems to work well so I'm comfortable with the choice I made.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:50:23 am »
Offthegrid, you are absolutely correct in thinking that boots are the most important part of your set up. You can have mediocre board and bindings and still have a great day out on the hill, but if you have mediocre boots it can ruin your season. Boots are all about comfort. Performance is important too, so you are probably going to have to be a little flexible on price.

I've ridden 32 and Burton primarily. I've tried on other brands (Rome, Forum, DC, etc.), but I always come back to 32 and Burton for the final decision (because they fit me best). As far as tech is concerned, I love Burton's speed lace system. I've ridden two sets of boots with speed lace and love how easy it to make adjustments to fit. You can be standing in line for the chair and completely change how the boot fits your fit without skipping a beat. I also like how simple the system is; there's hardly anything that can break. No moving, mechanical parts. It's just a well designed, dependable system.

I also really like Burton's EST sole and footbed. It's very minimilist and gives great board feel and great support. Every brand has their own proprietary gel/foam footbed and it's hard to say one is better than the other. If you are in the park, you want something with good impact absorption. If you are into deep snow and pow days, you want something stiffer and with better ankle support.

Every decent boot nowadays comes with heat moldable liners. Once you figure out what you want, take the 20 minutes and get the boot custom fit to your foot. It doesn't cost anything extra and will make your first couple days in the new boots much more pleasant.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline jsn

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STi
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 03:57:31 pm »
Just a response to THE EDJ's reply.  Yes, boots are all about what's comfortable for you, but be careful not to get a boot that's too soft.  I'm currently looking for a new pair because the pair I bought, felt really comfortable when I tried them on.  I later realized they were comfortable because they're really soft and flexible.  As a result, when I tighten my bindings, I find the boot tends to pinch and it reduces circulation to my foot.  On cold days, my feet start to freeze and i need feet warmers.  This was the first pair I bought and I'll make sure not to repeat the same mistake.

I briefly tried the BOA laces and they're extremely convenient, but like some have mentioned, they can pinch for some people.  They felt like they pinched abit for me, so they weren't the most comfortable.   

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27:45 pm »
I've been using the Salomon quick lace system, and have found that to work the best for me. Every brand I've tried that uses the boa system has been nothing but heartache and woe with pressure points. And I am going to reiterate that boots are THE most important part of your set up. I've also used the Burton quick lace system and found them to be too fragile with the plastic parts snapping and the laces STRETCHING a lot.

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:50 pm »
I had some Salomon boots for years and they were excellent.  Easy to lace up and rarely did my feet ever get cold.  However one session in revelstoke and the spine broke on them so it was time for new boots (they were also about 8 years old).

Anyways replaced them with Thirty Two team 2's and I have found a new love.  These boots are warm, comfortable, rather stiff (this is either good or bad depending on your style of riding) easy to lace up and super duper light!  My only beef with them is that they don't have loops or anything on the back of them to help carry them to and from the car.  Bessides that they are stellar boots.

:P

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:41:38 am »
I have had a pair of burton driver x (08-09) and a pair of ride insano (10-11)

If you like a stiffer boot than either is nice. The insano is wider so it fits me much better. I like how easily adjustable the boa system is ad I haven't had any issues with it. They are quite stiff, so they react fast when you want to turn, but are not flexible if you like that. I'd recommend either boot for freeriding, I duno about freestyle.

edit: I should mention that I have super wide feet and a really hard time finding boots. The insano's have a dual boa so i can tighten the upper more and the lower less. so for anyone with flipper feet take a look at these. they fit wide.
Johnny <3 Cam