Author Topic: To SeaFoam or not to SeaFoam, THAT is the question...  (Read 5601 times)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
To SeaFoam or not to SeaFoam, THAT is the question...
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »
Hey guys, I have done some searching and basically there is no solid train of thought.

Here are some of the things that I found, this is a pamphlet that Napa had,

How to on IWSTi
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/179036-seafoam-2005-sti.html

Info about SeaFoam on WSC
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=12620.msg205343#msg205343

How to on WSC
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=15446.msg219560#msg219560

I am just wondering everyone's opinions on the stuff and using it in our cars.

I have been thinking about doing it, would just be following the instructions in the pamphlet but just wondering everyone's thoughts.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: To SeaFoam or not to SeaFoam, THAT is the question...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:41:36 pm »
I've used it on my Civic. Some people like it, some don't. I think it's a perfect way to find exhaust leaks. I'm too tired/lazy to read the pamphlet right now, but I put 1/3 in my gas tank, 1/3 into something like a brake booster (or the intake if you can) and depending on if i'm doing an oil change in the near future (i think within 500kms), 1/3 in the crank case (1/2 and 1/2 if I'm not).

I want to run it on my STi, but last time I was at Autovalue, they didn't carry it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:45:39 pm »
I've used it on my Civic. Some people like it, some don't. I think it's a perfect way to find exhaust leaks. I'm too tired/lazy to read the pamphlet right now, but I put 1/3 in my gas tank, 1/3 into something like a brake booster (or the intake if you can) and depending on if i'm doing an oil change in the near future (i think within 500kms), 1/3 in the crank case (1/2 and 1/2 if I'm not).

I want to run it on my STi, but last time I was at Autovalue, they didn't carry it.

DO NOT USE BRAKE BOOSTER LINE IN SUBARU'S IT WILL ONLY GO TO TWO OF THE FOUR CYLINDERS WHICH IS NOT NOT NOT GOOD.

use the line coming off the BPV that is on the top mount. that will go to all four cylinders.

also i would recommend not going over 50 miles with the sea foam in your oil.

the additives in sea foam dont mix well with the additives in some oils

I have read this on IWSTi and 2.5RS (been forwarded the info from them) that it just goes to two cylinders? Where is(are) the other option(s) located?
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:49:31 pm »
Never used it on my suby, that's just what I did for the civic. It had a different intake mani.

I would say maybe use the line off the BPV if you can? If you can manage it, maybe straight into the intercooler? Then you can clean that out as well? Or if you have time, remove your intercooler, and pipe it straight into the throttle body. Idle it till it's all in there, kill it, put it all together, and start it all back up?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline ArjayAquino

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 STi base
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »
I just did the Seafoam treatment on my Xterra 2 weeks ago. I did the 1/3 treatment, I haven't driven it much after I did it though so I can't say how much difference it is. But from reading on the Xterra forums it has done wonders for some people. I'm not sure how it would be on Subies.
"It even smells of man...Burnt clutch, just splash it on before you go out for a curry and a fight." -Jeremy Clarkson on the STi

Offline Kingsoup

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:23:53 pm »
I did 1/3 can on my 1990 Celica with 280,000kms, it worked really well, I think it cleared a lot of carbon out of the PCV, noticible difference in smoothness and acceleration, definatly not just snake oil.
1995 WRX STi V2 GF8
1993 Toyota Celsior

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:06:01 pm »
70 views, 4 votes?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:35:24 pm »
Quick Question,

Just would like to ask before I do, as seen in the picture I am assuming that I want to use the "red" one (the one drawn with red)?. That would be my assumption, just want to double check it looks like it goes right into the intake manifold, where as the yellow one (I would have to be spooling to work?) that then goes through the Top Mount Intercooler through the throttle body and into the intake manifold, amiright?

Just to reiterate, use the red one?

(yes t does bother me the red paint is chipping off)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »
OK, upon further inspection I realized that I am an idiot, the yellow arrows right by the BPV are backward, silly of me. (MY first hint was the two big arrows on the valve pointing in the opposite direction.)

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
I used it on my old legacy, I just poored the whole can in the gas tank and enjoyed white smoke all week

Offline SLO GTR

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Evo X FE, 1997 Supra RZ, 2015 Street Triple RX
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:54:29 pm »
The previous owner did it on my car, he said he noticed some good things from it, there is a thread somewhere on here.

He used the little vac line that runs to the bpv.

Offline Jarrod

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 10:37:22 am »
A little off topic but now I'm kind of curious about how the BPV works.
The vacuum line is to pull the BPV open when there is no pressure/boost right?  So does that mean while there is no positive pressure, the BPV is always open?  And positive pressure in the manifold kind of pushes the valve closed.

So if one were to pull off the top hose as indicated in red, you just need to kind of plug it up and shove this seafoam in it as it will be sucking in air?  Will the BPV be open or closed?

Offline SLO GTR

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Evo X FE, 1997 Supra RZ, 2015 Street Triple RX
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 03:24:00 pm »
You don't need to plug it, you simply remove it, and dump the sea foam in there. I am not sure whether or not the bpv will be open or closed though.

Offline Vicar

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 07:25:57 pm »
70 views, 4 votes?

hmmm did you want those of us who have never used it but are interested in the thread to vote?

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:14 pm »
You don't need to plug it, you simply remove it, and dump the sea foam in there. I am not sure whether or not the bpv will be open or closed though.

Just put the seafoam into a glass and suck it up like a straw works.

hmmm did you want those of us who have never used it but are interested in the thread to vote?

People vote in elections without knowing much about the candidates all the time, and I am sure everyone has heard something about it, lol just kidding I am only trying to cover my own assay.

Offline Kilroy

• Patchy Faced
  • No person is an island.
  • Ride: 1994 JDM Legacy Wagon - Fastest Groceries in Town!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 08:04:47 am »
I'll give Seafoam a big thumbs up. I've used it on a 1998 Acura RL (huuuuge clouds of smoke) and a 1988 Chevy K2500 4x4 (very little smoke). In both cases it helped considerably and I keep a couple of cans in my garage at all times. NAPA carries it, but it is about $13 per can. If you go down to the U.S., pick up a case of it. They sell for $4-$6 per can there.

Offline silvia

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: current: 180sx, soon: STI
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 08:34:52 pm »
I used it in a 1992 maxda 323, intake and gas tank, none in the oil.  throttle response improved, better drivability, and millage!

Brother inlaw used it on early 90's mazda pickup, oil started leaking out rear main seal.  But it improved idle, and response.  I would say it's good stuff, but be careful on old engines using it in the oil as it might loosen up old deposits that were sealing little cracks!

But i wouldn't hesitate to use it in the engine intake and gas tank even on an old engine.

Offline Munky

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '06 WRX
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »
Brother inlaw used it on early 90's mazda pickup, oil started leaking out rear main seal.  But it improved idle, and response.  I would say it's good stuff, but be careful on old engines using it in the oil as it might loosen up old deposits that were sealing little cracks!

But i wouldn't hesitate to use it in the engine intake and gas tank even on an old engine.

Good to know, been thinking about doing this in my gfs truck 97 GMC 2500 with a 5.7l and was worried about this.  If I do it then just intake and gas.  I maybe want to wait till like 1/4 tank of gas though. 120 liters is a lot of gas to burn through. :-\