Author Topic: Auto-x Advice!  (Read 5839 times)

Offline neverLift

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
Auto-x Advice!
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:19:02 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd start compiling a list of things to have/do before an auto-x/rally-x/track event in order to be prepared so you can concentrate on driving. Hopefully we can get more people involved!

I'll admit, I'm still a very green driver, so I hope some more experienced auto-x'ers can chime in with more ideas etc. Post up and I'll edit it in!

I know there are the bare minimum requirements listed in the auto-x sign up threads, but we all know that we bring way more than that to events  ;) Also I'll list where to buy some of the extra and required stuff if I know anywhere.

Things to do beforehand:

- First time to an event? Get a map to the location Google maps is your friend :)

- Read AND follow all instructions on the event thread and if the organizer has a website, check that out too for more info. Example: http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=1916.0 Make sure you have all the bare minimum requirements listed.

- Personally, I'm not a morning person, so staying up till the wee hours of the morning is generally not recommended, seeing as most events require you to be at the site between 8:30am and 10:00am. But hey, if that’s your thing, by all means go ahead!

- Prepare the driver. Pack a lunch, food is good choice. There isn't a break (at ASA events) to go somewhere to get food, so its nice to snack when marshalling. Lots of water is a must as well. Don't drink eat too much though! Extra weight :P (Pee_Sack)

- Don't forget bugspray and sunscreen! (xrayvsn)

- Stop at a gas station and pump up your tires, you can always let air out, but if you don't have a portable air tank (more on this later) you can't fill them up again. I usually start with ~40PSi, but the vets can guide you a bit better as to what kind of tire pressures you want. You do need them higher than street pressures so that the tire doesn't roll under hard cornering.

- Make sure your helmet is Snell approved and M or SA 2000+ (2000 or 2005, 1995 is no good (GrantC), not just DOT, and fits very snugly. Yes this is stated in the event thread, but it never fails that an only DOT approved helmet is brought and then can't be used. It will have this sticker on it:

- Remove as much as you can and leave it at home. You want next to nothing in your car, unless it’s attached in some way.

- Wear comfortable clothes, and good shoes for driving. Shoes like Pumas or anything similar are good, but this is all personal choice, and as a beginner, comfort is the most important thing.

- Also make sure you have a good, supportive seating position that is also comfortable. Like Brian said, don't have you seat leaned way back, support in the turns is key to not ending up in your door panel or passenger seat, a dead pedal or bucket seat will help keep you planted. (BDL Motorsprots)
Things to bring:
- Helmet (Scona Cycle on 82ave is where I got mine)
- Other required things, money, car etc.
- Tools, jack and jack stands (if changing out wheels)
- Tire pressure gauge, very important if your playing with your tire pressures! (xrayvsn)
- Zip ties!
- Portable air tank (~$30 from Princess Auto) or Portable air compressor and an inverter (varies)
- Tarp/Umbrella/Rain jacket/Sweater for bad weather, Subaru’s especially don’t stop for the rain!
- Basket/Rubbermaid tote/Box of some kind to store all you stuff, and all the random stuff you pull out of your car.
- Chair to sit in when watching
- Camera/Batteries if you planning on photography.
- Some sort of numbering for your car, masking tape works as does shoe polish. If you want to be cool and f4st3r, get magnetic sheet from Michaels for $16.99 (or less if you get the 40% coupon in their weekly flyer) and cut out and paint (if contrast is needed) numbers.
- It never hurts to have an extra quart of oil, maybe some coolant too.

Tips and Tricks
- Put shoe polish on your tires sidewall where it meets the tread to see how much it is rolling and adjust tire pressures accordingly (xrayvsn)
- Use a Infrared thermometer (pyrometer?) to measure temps across the tire tread and adjust tire pressure to ensure event temperature spread. (SpeedwayPerformance)

Also your insurance does not cover you (unless you have special track/off road coverage), but everyone signs a waiver so everyone is responsible for themselves etc, though talk to the organizer for more details on this.

Well hope that helps anyone looking to get their feet wet in motorsport!
I’ll update and edit as people post/as needed.
Cheers
-Evan

Offline BDL Motorsports

• beards comin in nice
    • http://www.bdlmotorsports.com
Re: Auto-x Advice!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »
If you drive with your seat angled back... straighten out some..... not suppose to be relaxed

Maybe I will think of more later... not autocrossed for 3 years now before last Saturday.

B

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »
Just to clarify we don't check that sticker on the outside of the helmet, but instead we check the one inside that says something like:

[Snell M2000] or [Snell SA2005]

With the rating (M or SA) and the what year.

Aka, at the moment helmets must be snell 2000 or newer Snell M95 or SA95 are no longer allowed.

Offline Pee_Sack

• Admin
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:57:54 AM »
Also something I found out this past weekend.

Bring a sandwich or some sort of snack you can eat while marshaling.  I didn't really think about it and also skipped breakfast and man was I ever hungry by the time 4 rolled around and I went to grab a bite to eat.

Offline xrayvsn

• WSC Member
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • In the dark
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
People always seem to remember to bring the car stuff, but forget stuff for the driver.  At any track event - bring food/snacks, and lots of water.

I can't stress this one enough - Bug spray!

Sunscreen.

Tire pressure gauge to monitor your tire pressures before and after each run.  Some people use shoe polish to see how much tire rollover they are getting and adjust tire pressures accordingly.

Sean

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »
Also something I found out this past weekend.

Bring a sandwich or some sort of snack you can eat while marshaling.  I didn't really think about it and also skipped breakfast and man was I ever hungry by the time 4 rolled around and I went to grab a bite to eat.

Haha man I did the same thing at my first auto cross I marshalled.  I only brought one small bottle of water too.  (Thanks for the trail mix Dennis)

SpeedwayPerformance

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:21:13 AM »
Personally I would really recommend bringing along a driver and vehicle log book, IR temp gauge, extra oil (I drive a honda). But I find that I tend to over do it on setup and note taking.Here is the checklist that we use for lapping and autocross

http://www.speedwayperformance.org/design/lappingchecklist.pdf

Mike

Offline neverLift

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »
Bump this up for this sunday's event!!!

cheers
-Evan

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »
*BUMP*!

paulneartarga

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »
Thought I'd start compiling a list of things to have/do before an auto-x/rally-x/track event in order to be prepared so Hopefully we can get more people involved!
auto-x'ers can chime in with more ideas etc. Post up and I'll edit it in!
-Evan

Don't forget the blue swag.....Subaru clothes.....especially in WRB.

Offline gamman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »
how about some driving books or online driving resources

Offline Vicar

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • VEX Performance
    • My other Passion
  • Ride: Horseless Carriage
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 01:33:43 AM »
if you are in Calgary Thursday night the CSCC is having a free classroom autocross school.

Martin at VEX has all the details, you can email him info@vexperformance.com if you want more info or to come

VEX Performance | OS Giken | Airboy
FLIPP.ca | DBA | johnnysummersracing.com
Freestyle Designs.ca | Rally Armor | Endless
pic by Black Archer

Offline gamman

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »
if you are in Calgary Thursday night the CSCC is having a free classroom autocross school.

Martin at VEX has all the details, you can email him info@vexperformance.com if you want more info or to come
missed that, but I am in the solopro school, I was looking for online resources to read, when I am falling asleep at night on the computer.

SpeedwayPerformance

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 02:36:54 PM »
how about some driving books or online driving resources

Personally I highly recommend the first 3 books in the speed secrets series. I believe he actually just put out a book specifically for autocross drivers. Aside from that likely "Going Faster" which is the Skip Barber school training manual.

Offline SubieRoo

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »
Don't drink eat too much though! Extra weight :P (Pee_Sack)

Funny that Pee_Sack would have said that  :D

Offline cheech00TS

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRB Impreza Ltd wagon
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »
I've only run 2 AutoX events (1 with my 2000 2.2L sedan in Lethbridge, and one last year with my 06 2.5i wagon, both basically stock) but the most important thing that I can think of for a noob is to know the course. You'll have so much more fun if you're not blowing corners because you didn't pay attention in the walk through. Its not so much embarrassing as it is frustrating, because you want your time to see how you match up to everyone else and when you run over pylons on your way to the middle of nowhere, you're going to remember this.

One more cool thing to do: go for a ride with an experienced fellow WSC'er that doesn't mind having the extra weight. I rode along with Jer last year and the difference in driving strategy blew my mind. I really learned a lot about carrying speed, dumping speed, and good angles to take into corners. I didn't show it when I got back in my car...but I got a lot out of it. Most of all, have a blast and enjoy the fact that you get to test your car (and your skills) without endangering yourself, the people around you, or your driving record (unless you crash hard I guess...)

'06 2.5i Wagon: 60KM->sold
'01 Forester S: 217KM->sold
'10 2.5i Wagon: gone...
'07 WRX Wagon: 167,xxx really fun kms!
'11 2.5i Limited Wagon

Offline markus

• Stubbly Faced
  • It'll buff right out...
  • Ride: 2004 STi
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 11:19:55 PM »
Thanks to those folks from WSC that showed up at the ASA event yesterday.

I've never been to an event that had so many subies before. It was kind of neat, considering that 9 seasons ago, we only had two subarus that were auto-xing.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
Here's a good primer for your first time out:

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/perfdriv.htm

Offline zewks

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2 feet & a heart beat
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:53:40 PM »
Pin it to win it

Offline RIP

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 2013 Outback
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
+1 Thanks Grant

(Has or could someone build/built a thread for TSD noobs?)

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline jackal

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Light a man a fire,  you keep him warm for a night.  Light a man on fire,  you keep him warm the rest of his life.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
Here's a good primer for your first time out:

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/perfdriv.htm

Here's another:

http://www.rmsolo.org/rmsoloschool/index.html

Both good reads.  The animations on the mrsolo.org page sure makes the points clear.

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »
Also a good idea: torque your nuts!

'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 06:00:52 PM »
That poor Sentra...

But mostly I'm impressed by the photo!  You can even see the hubcentric ring & lugs flying off...

Offline Wronks

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '13 STi
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
That poor Sentra...

But mostly I'm impressed by the photo!  You can even see the hubcentric ring & lugs flying off...

I didn't notice those lugs...Mr. Eagle eye.
Wronks - Have fun out there.