Author Topic: Road / CX questions..  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Road / CX questions..
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:30:43 am »
So last year I bought a CX frame with the intention of swapping everything over from my road bike (105-level components)..

Just out of curiousity, how much should I expect to pay for a full set of parts - drivetrain, brakes, wheels, tires, etc.?

My LBS is offering the parts from the equivalent of what I bought but in a smaller size to swap over for $1000, which I think is a bit steep.

Essentially the LBS has this in stock in a 52cm.  It looks to be a mix of SRAM Rival and in-house Bontragers:
http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/511

But I bought the same frame direct in 59cm..

Thanks.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Road / CX questions..
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:47 am »
Have a look at your online retailers for some prices.  You can spend $200 on wheels or $7,800 on wheels so a $1,000 parts kit may be a good deal. 

As a rule of thumb it's always cheaper to buy a complete bike than to build up a frame.
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:56 am »
Thanks Kevin..

Yeah, thing is,  I bought the frame on clearance from Gary Fisher as the bikes were long sold out.

They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Jitenshakun

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:33:45 am »
On closeout (40% off already lower prices) a Tiagra groupset from CRC costs $453.80.  The doesn't include things like rims, spokes, tires, nippes, seat post, stem, headset, saddle, handlebar, tape, pedals and odds and sods.

If they're talking 105 and all the extra stuff for $1,000 it doesn't sound too bad.  Heck, my road wheels are $1,780 LBS retails...
You aren't mistaken; this post was solid gold.