Author Topic: Funk32's build  (Read 96419 times)

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
Re: Funk32's build
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:34 pm »
Just a little update

Need working on the car hear and there as it is stored on the west end and I live on the North end. I have pretty much everything ready for when I start getting the big parts in. I have installed the FMS power steering line which was pretty straight forward, along with that I moved the other line so it was not attached to the block but now is attached to the brake lines via zap straps so its out of the way. Also I installed the FMS clutch line took a little work to undo but once it broke lose it was easy from there also flushed the clutch fluid. Just installed the P&L AVCS lines very simple. Had to move the engine harness connections from the passenger side strut, it now sits closer to the abs block. Installed the Stromung catback along with the downpipe (which need some modding but i need the turbo to check final fitting).

so there are a few things on my list to get still:

Tomei TS Headers
GTX 3076r or 3071
mvr 44mm  wastegate      
KStechMegaMAF 73mm CAI   

harness bar/belts   ( not doing roll cage yet so this is a patch for now)

turbo install fittings
Tigwerks Oil Drain
Oil Return Flange integrated -10an
Oil Return Gasket      
Banjo Fitting Kit 14mm to -6an   
Banjo Fitting 12mm Hole -6AN    
Custom Coolant (-6 AN) ss   
Custom oil (-10 AN) ss      
14mm Banjo Fitting Set       
-4Oil inlet fitting w/restrictor
T3 inlet gasket, divided   
Flanged Locknut 8mm (1.25 pitch) 
8mm (1.25pitch) Stud

here are some pics of the new parts so far

P2020114 by Funk32, on Flickr

P1210113 by Funk32, on Flickr

P1210112 by Funk32, on Flickr

stromung2 by Funk32, on Flickr

P1140109 by Funk32, on Flickr

P2140105 by Funk32, on Flickr

P2140106 by Funk32, on Flickr

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:19 pm »
I would avoid the harness bar and belts. If you want an easy solution, you can go with a bolt-in roll bar. There's a lot of controversies about harness bars since they provide no roll over protection.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline AwdSex

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: almost stock 06 STi
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2012, 11:37:09 pm »
Man I don't know whose build I'm excited for yours or mine. Can't wait to see either fully done.
ATP 3071/ Tomie Header/Tomie Up/ DW 740cc/Perrin FMIC/Turbo XS exhaust/Other Stuff/ Airboy

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2012, 06:06:57 am »
I would avoid the harness bar and belts. If you want an easy solution, you can go with a bolt-in roll bar. There's a lot of controversies about harness bars since they provide no roll over protection.

I have heard this too but what's the different in people using stock seat belts on the track vs the bar and harnesses? I don't want to waste money on a bolt in when I want a full weld FIA cert cage anyway.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:40 am »
Where are you buying your twin scroll exhaust parts?

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 07:47:25 am »
Instead of harness bars and 4/5 point harnesses, have you considered just using a CG-Lock?  I use one at Stratotech and frankly, I feel it's good enough.  Plus then I'm not driving to the grocery store or work with a bunch of pain in the toosh harnesess that have to be done up every time.  And it's dirt cheap too.

Nice engine parts, this things going to be pretty sweet!
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 08:06:55 am »
Instead of harness bars and 4/5 point harnesses, have you considered just using a CG-Lock?  I use one at Stratotech and frankly, I feel it's good enough.  Plus then I'm not driving to the grocery store or work with a bunch of pain in the toosh harnesses that have to be done up every time.  And it's dirt cheap too.

Nice engine parts, this things going to be pretty sweet!

The issue I have is the seat belt doesn't fit snug with the Bride zeta 3 seats, the lap belt sits on top of the sides and not tight on my body. I can see what your saying about DD with them, it would/will be a pain in the butt to do them up every time I move the car.

Thanks I hope to make a quick spooling 400/400 car. It will be a handfull to drive, and I will need to learn how to track the car properly. Ill have more then enough power, my suspension is great and I have good set of tires just need to up the driver skill.

Offline YvanF

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Credit to GrantC for profile pic
  • Ride: 2004 WRX Wagon - ej207 v7 swap, 1993 Honda Civic Si
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 08:26:30 am »
Wow. This project is getting some nice goodies. :)

Keep us posted.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2012, 08:35:42 am »
I will update when parts come in. I plan to have her done and ready by end of June, I need a sponsor or someone to help pay for this build lol, being responsible and building this car is hard to do heheh

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:17 am »
I have heard this too but what's the different in people using stock seat belts on the track vs the bar and harnesses? I don't want to waste money on a bolt in when I want a full weld FIA cert cage anyway.

The stock safety system is just that, a system. All the components have been designed to work together. This means the airbags, the seats, the seat belts and the car itself. By making adjustments to one, you impact the ability of the others to work. You shouldn't have an airbag with harnesses, it creates a risk of facial fractures. You shouldn't have bucket seats without harnesses because of the very problem you've described. You shouldn't have harnesses without rollover protection because of the risk of, well, death or serious harm in a rollover. The purpose of the harness is to hold you still and upright. If there's no rollover protection, and you rollover, the roof can collapse and since you're being held up by the harness and seat, your head becomes the stopping point. Ideally, you need to create a new system to replace the OEM one that has been disrupted.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2012, 12:16:04 pm »
Yes I understand the stock system all works together and this is why I am working on replacing it. I will be unpluging or taking out the airbags. The rollover threat is low but yes it is there, so I am willing to take the chance with the bar for now. The car is very close to being a track car only. I won't be using it to get food or just to airens as the fuel milage isn't all that good anyway lol. I am hoping next year I will have the 4-5000 for a FIA cert cage.

How many roll overs have you guys seen at the track? I am really wondering as I havnt lived out here long to know.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
None personally but it's a risk where the outcome is deadly if it happens to occur. I've never seen anyone get burned but I wear full fire gear in my track car. Personally I'd put the stock seat back in with a cg-lock until I could do it all right at the same time.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »
None personally but it's a risk where the outcome is deadly if it happens to occur. I've never seen anyone get burned but I wear full fire gear in my track car. Personally I'd put the stock seat back in with a cg-lock until I could do it all right at the same time.

Thanks for all the info.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2012, 05:05:47 pm »
Well time for a small update.

I just came home from working on the car, today was just to test fit the FMIC with some new piping and it went well. I just need the header and turbo so I can figure out how I want to root the hot side piping. I would like to put under the intake manifold but it all depends on how the turbo sits.

IMG-20120224-00043 by Funk32, on Flickr

IMG-20120224-00044 by Funk32, on Flickr

IMG-20120224-00042 by Funk32, on Flickr

I will be repainting the FMIC black.

also took off the front control arms. which will be cleaned up and replaced.

Offline T-Dubbs

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Artic White B7 A4 Avant
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2012, 05:43:02 pm »
blk fmic ftw

Offline bugeyesubie

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Silver WRX, 2005 Gray Frontier
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2012, 06:04:35 pm »
I'm doing a four point bolt in roll bar with reinforced weld in "foot plates" but am contemplating a 6 point... I think if done properly the bolt in could be strong enough for some roll protection. Though not nearly a much as a homolagted cage. I guess it come down to how serious you are getting... For me I want to keep a full interior. Pr as close as I can. I am definitely not doing a crappy Cusco or some other mass produced cage mine with be a custom made, custom fit.

Everything is looking good. What piping is that? Could you use any of the piping off my kit? Sorry for the shape it was in...
Fully Built 2.5L 1.5 Scroll EWG'd Dominator 3!

Spotted: 9 times

Offline Steveo47

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2012 OBP STI Sedan
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:59 pm »
looks awesome!

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:19 pm »
I'm doing a four point bolt in roll bar with reinforced weld in "foot plates" but am contemplating a 6 point... I think if done properly the bolt in could be strong enough for some roll protection. Though not nearly a much as a homolagted cage. I guess it come down to how serious you are getting... For me I want to keep a full interior. Pr as close as I can. I am definitely not doing a crappy Cusco or some other mass produced cage mine with be a custom made, custom fit.

Everything is looking good. What piping is that? Could you use any of the piping off my kit? Sorry for the shape it was in...

I think his plan is to go to Targa, he'll need a FIA cage.

If this is a street car, stick with a 4-pt. Having bars by your head is really annoying.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2012, 07:36:13 pm »
I think his plan is to go to Targa, he'll need a FIA cage.

This!!

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »

they piping i bought online and is suppose to fit a GC8 but works pretty damn well for a GD, I just needed to cut some of it to fit the APS FMIC. I need to get my headers and turbo in so I can finish off the pipping as I am not 100% sure I can use under the manifold, it all depends on how the turbo will sit.

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2012, 09:01:27 pm »
This!!
Need a navigator with local knowledge? lol j/k
Can't wait to move home and build a car for Targa. It will be a write off that i will half assay fix to rally standards and not have to hold back being afraid to beat it up. How many car's show up ever year looking all pretty and leave destroyed and mangled.  :-[. Key example being nimrod in his Ferrari last year who couldn't keep it on the road with his speed restricted.  The roads are itshay and if you go off there is nothing to hit but trees rock or ocean, there are no grassy fields or dirt piles to spin off into.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:31 pm »
Haha ya my dad was at the last one and seen that ferrari go off.

Offline bugeyesubie

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 10:23:48 pm »
Where are you ordering your turbo from?

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:52 pm »
Ill be going threw Touge Tunning, with all the fittings and extra stuff I wanted from ATP Chris was able to quote me 100-200$ cheaper then the landed est from ATP direct... Damn taxes and fees that kills us plus stupid shipping charges.

Offline bugeyesubie

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2012, 08:45:54 am »
How's the build? Get your turbo yet?