Author Topic: Funk32's build  (Read 96392 times)

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
Re: Funk32's build
« Reply #975 on: August 21, 2017, 03:25:56 pm »
Small ish update...

Car is in the process of being stripped, I will have a few things up for sale. What will be going on from here I don't want to say yet, but I am not going far.

This weekend was round 4 of CSCS and I was given the opportunity to use Shan's car again, if you remember he lent it to me during round 1. The car performed great, it felt even better than last time I had it. He had done a brake flush and tranny/diff fluid swap which dramatically changed the shifting for the better. I started off super slow in the morning getting use to the car and track since it was the first time on it. I started with a 2:16.xx which put me in last place within the class. I was able to shave a few seconds off and get it down to a 2:07.xx which had me 2 tens from second place. I then played follow the leader with Chris from Touge Tuning which allowed me to gain some confidence (seeing how deep I can go) which brought me to a 2:03.xx good enough to qualify in second place for the final Time Attack event (only times here actually count). We stacked up in the run groups allowing space between cars as to not catch them. Off I went, started a little washy and was getting a little frustrated as I knew I was not doing my best. I was in 3rd place up until the final lap and I stepped it up. I was able to clench 2nd place with a 2:04.7.

Overall I had an amazing time, the Touge team is always very supportive and the whole CSCS event is great for the people, getting to chat up some of the fastest drivers in North America is also pretty cool.

I finally said screw this and got myself a GOPRO. I need to mess with the settings as I have been told I was not using the right ones for being inside the car, but it turned out ok. Able to see my weak areas.

Video below is my fast lap in the finals. There is a ton of mistakes and you can see I was being a ussypay in some of the higher speed turns (confidence and its not my car, play into that).   

video below shows a really shity 1 min of track time. I nailed some curbing, this ended up snapping a Killer B oil filler neck.

quick specs of the car

2012 STi
400whp
ISC Suspension (being replaced)
Tires 265/35-18 pirelli trofeo r (control tire)

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #976 on: August 21, 2017, 06:01:18 pm »
OMFG the dingle balls hanging from the mirror do my uckfaying head in.

I can understand completely how you'd drive somebody else's car with a little more hesitation. In your vid it's hard to se how much braking is involved.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #977 on: August 21, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »
OMFG the dingle balls hanging from the mirror do my uckfaying head in.

I can understand completely how you'd drive somebody else's car with a little more hesitation. In your vid it's hard to se how much braking is involved.

Ya i didn't notice the itshay on the mirror as much as I did watching the video. They will be removed for rd5 lol.

I am braking way too early I can tell ya that much. On the back straight I could have gone up to 5th but I wasn't just hammering the throttle fast enough and then feathered it to reach the end without shifing.

The car has sub 2min in it for sure. Just gotta be more confident with it and my driving ability.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #978 on: August 22, 2017, 05:35:53 am »
Pictures are coming out,

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #979 on: August 23, 2017, 10:56:00 am »
new rims were all purchased before the event. Some New Volks TE37's 18x10.5 et15

received_10155190317574145 by David, on Flickr

Offline esp1818

• Stubbly Faced
    • My Flickr Page
  • Ride: '09 SWP STi
« Reply #980 on: August 23, 2017, 08:48:57 pm »
It's great to see that you are getting seat time. Looks like a fun course.

The thing hanging from the mirror is just a poor man's G-meter. haha

The pictures look good. Makes me want some actions shots of my car at Castrol.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #981 on: August 26, 2017, 09:16:01 am »
It's great to see that you are getting seat time. Looks like a fun course.

The thing hanging from the mirror is just a poor man's G-meter. haha

The pictures look good. Makes me want some actions shots of my car at Castrol.

Thanks man, as many track guys know, seat time AKA the driver mod is more important than adding mods to a car... something I lost sight of a long time ago.

sad taking bits off the car knowing they will never go back on

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #982 on: August 26, 2017, 04:58:22 pm »
afternoon work

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #983 on: August 26, 2017, 09:13:22 pm »
Is that the 9.1 steering rack...?  It's never going back on?

Vulture mode...

uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #984 on: August 27, 2017, 04:08:31 pm »
Vultures is right lol.

The parts you see in those pictures are not for sale.....

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #985 on: August 28, 2017, 05:13:07 pm »
How.. is everything so clean?

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #986 on: August 28, 2017, 06:01:38 pm »
How.. is everything so clean?
Gotta drive it to make it dirty (ouch)

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #987 on: August 28, 2017, 06:03:30 pm »
Gotta drive it to make it dirty (ouch)

That and it will never see a public road again.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #988 on: August 30, 2017, 06:11:31 am »
Now I wonder what we will do with this stuff... thanks e13tankbuster for this.

rith

« Reply #989 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:42 am »
ohh boy.. hah.

APR?

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #990 on: August 30, 2017, 08:14:39 am »
ohh boy.. hah.

APR?

Sure is, full kit

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #991 on: August 30, 2017, 08:42:28 am »
Now I wonder what we will do with this stuff... thanks e13tankbuster for this.

Such flare. Many wide. So body-kit. Much race car. wow
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #992 on: September 04, 2017, 10:06:33 pm »
Before I talk about a fun track day, lets start with a teaser.

So like a few other forum members I spent Labour day at the track, we had a great turn out of Touge customers and friends. The day was great, a little windy but that kept us "feeling" cool while it was actually 26c and sunny until the end of the day.

it was my turn to help pay back Shan (the owner of the GR I have been using), so entry fee/tires/fuel all supplied by myself. This was Shan's first time driving his car on the track, believe it or not and well he LOVED it lol. SO hopefully next year he will campaign his car himself at cscs time attack. The day was there for him to learn his car and his limits. I also took the time to familiarize myself with the track. Shan had the car from 10am-3pm taking himself and friends for lap after lap.

At 330 I took the car out for a few laps but was held up in traffic and the dink in an older race prepped Camaro who wouldnt let me pass for 3 laps. There was a red flag just after passing him so this session was scrapped. After that I went out behind a yellow S2000 owned by a employee of Touge. I stayed behind them warming up and when they had enough of me they flagged me by. I was able to put in some nice laps feeling out the limits (still haven't hit them). Had another lap scrubbed by a Dbag in a 300ZX who didnt want to let me know he was pitting so I flipped him off ( we were having issues with him all day), right after that i missed a shift and scrubbed another lap LOL FML. The next lap I pushed hard and was able to get a unofficial time of 1:21.8 my goal was a 1:19 but that is still very good for now in my mind. unoffical because if you watch till the end of the video my lap timer comes to tell me the time lol. The new GOPRO's are supposed to capture some telemetry like speed/g force and a few others, but of course this didnt work as planed so I cannot check times in there. So whether it was a 21 flat or a 23 I am happy with the 30mins of actual lap time I had.

Notes from the video,
Tires were toast you will see and hear them on turn 9, all day of lapping will get ya LOL.
Still lots to improve, I say there is stubbornly a 1:19 or 2 sec off that last lap on the table.
If you just want to see the "fastest" of the laps it starts at 10:45
I didn't edit it at all LOL, so it's start to end of my session, I don't care if people see the mistakes I make. plus you get to see the whole venue for you AB guys.

OH and Crank up the sound, this car sounds amazing!!

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #993 on: September 10, 2017, 07:01:58 am »
Things I do cause I am sad about not using my parts lol , even with some of the best parts things just don't seem to go right. Oh well, maybe we will try again.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #994 on: September 11, 2017, 12:49:05 pm »
I always clean rooms the most when I have new parts to lay out just like that.

Well, not just like that,

About 1/100th the cost.

But you know, same layout.

:'(

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #995 on: September 14, 2017, 04:16:10 pm »
some pics from the other day.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #996 on: September 19, 2017, 06:06:10 am »
This past weekend was the final event of CSCS for the season. It was packed, they also allowed a lot more competitors as they were trying to bring US cars and drivers up to help build the US vs Can rivalry which is pretty big in the GTA series in the US as a few Canadian drivers have been smashing records and taking home top spots all season down there. This event was probably the best run even all season and the weather was outstanding, a little too hot for turbo cars lol but that's life.

Again I was out in Shan's car, it performed well, only issue was I didn't check the pads before we started and sure enough after the second session I could feel an issue. Luckily Mike had the same type on his car and we swapped them in so I could finish the day. My goal was a 1:19.xx and the car stubbornly has it, but again I was not confident enough to push the braking zones even tho the brakes never gave up on me. I was able to get down to a 1:20.6 in the final shoot out. To say I am disappointed in myself is an understatement especially since on my second session out I was able to hit a low 1:21. This concludes my CSCS season, I will be heading down to the Speed Ring event down in the US with Touge Tuning to see how the new Compass car works for Chris and then the weekend after I am flying to Australia to work for a WTAC team as they Campaign a 02 STi. I am really looking forward to WTAC, I have been told as long as things are going well on test day that I will be allowed to take the car out for a few laps, mind you this will be at about 50% pace but will still be cool.

I was able to put the AIM dash into the GR this weekend and hook up the smarty cam along with the GPS. The video below has the Smartycam and then the gopro in the top left corner until it fell off my head lol. The Smartycam only does 720/30fps so it isn't amazing quality but its good enough to show my faults and see some data overlaid. This is the first time I have tried to edit a video so hopefully you guys find it ok.

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #997 on: September 19, 2017, 01:11:03 pm »
That's pretty cool, love watching the g-force indicator flying around

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #998 on: September 19, 2017, 04:38:47 pm »
Maybe I missed it... Have you announced the future plan for your STI in the thread?

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #999 on: September 19, 2017, 04:45:41 pm »
Maybe I missed it... Have you announced the future plan for your STI in the thread?

No, it will come soon. Things are lined up and moving a long slowly. Have been busy with work/stripping the car/cscs and of course life lol.