Author Topic: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 25520 times)

Offline Corey

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2006 STi, 2007 Daytona 675, 2003 Race R6, 2015 Race 675R, 2013 1199 Panigale R
Re: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:34 pm »
Just got back from a 2 day trip from louise, holy hell was it good conditions. Great weather, great powder, not so great of a drive home thru that crazy wind/snowstorm.

EMRA #17

Castrol Roadcourse 1:21.9

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2011, 10:35:25 am »
OMG Jasper was a great first day. POW was second to the opening day at Revelstoke when it first opened to the public a few years back (2008 I think) I think I did 5 cartwheels and had snow in all sorts of places. Totally worth the hurt today.

I did spot a black 2008+ STI in parking lot 4 as well as a WRB WRX. Even had a guy in an audi TT come and talk to me about my spec R1. He had a WRX before the TT. Worst was the white escalade that slid off a turn into the ditch by parking lot 2. ittshay way to end the day like that. 

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:48 am »
Went yesterday to marmot with the magic bus.  Conditions were great.. Got stuck TWICE in some super deep powder, went up to my waist and took me like 30min to move 20 feet through it, was so tired after..
Awesome day of fun for $140 :P

Skis fix that problem ;-)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2011, 11:41:44 am »

Especially when they pop off and they are fifty feet above you under 3 feet of pow ;)
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2011, 11:42:27 am »
ZING

rith

« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2011, 11:45:01 am »

>:(                               :-[

Offline Craig D

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Impreza 2.5RS
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2011, 12:21:47 pm »
For those that have been to Lake Louise recently, are rock skis still recommended? Do they have decent coverage with the recent dumps at the top of the mountain (back bowls, etc..)?

I know it is still November, but I would rather ski my newer skis if it is not rock ciy.

Cheers,

Craig

Offline Corey

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2006 STi, 2007 Daytona 675, 2003 Race R6, 2015 Race 675R, 2013 1199 Panigale R
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2011, 03:28:45 pm »
Some upper mountain sections are blown bare by the wind, but you can easily get around them.  Great powder almost everywhere :) New skis would be just fine .

EMRA #17

Castrol Roadcourse 1:21.9

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
Kicking Horse: Sunday, Dec. 4 Trip Report
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2011, 09:42:23 am »
Went out to Kicking Horse on Sunday. It was apparently tracked out by lunch on Friday, but one of our group pre-purchased a lift pass for KH so that's where we went. Saturday must have been windy because there was a lot of wind sift, but unfortunately it didn't cover any of the lines from the previous day. I was pleasantly surprised at how much base they have at KH, even at the bottom of the mountain there is nearly full coverage. Unfortunately, my favorite terrain (Feuz bowl) was still pretty sparse, as was most of Terminator. That terrain could use another couple meters of snow before it's prime.

We ended up riding the south side of Redemption Ridge most of the day. The snow was super choppy and hard packed; we found a few (sketchy) pockets of decent snow, but the lines were pretty gnarly and not really natural feeling to ride. Found a bunch of really fun tree jibs and just tried throwing 360's off of everything. I'm finally starting to get close to consistent landings on those.! We did one tour over to the bottom half of Terminator, but it was absolute garbage. Despite the lackluster snow, it turned out to be a really fun day.

This is the only photo I took.

Gearing up for a bluebird day at Kicking Horse. by THE EDJ, on Flickr
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline A.J.

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2019 Audi RS3
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2011, 09:53:06 am »
I'm supposed to be heading out there this weekend. Hopefully it will be worth the drive. Last year opening weekend was pretty epic.
If you want a WSC License plate frame, PM me. Now available in black with white lettering!

stefan

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2011, 07:04:41 am »
Thanks for the update Evan. Hoping Terminator will be in better shape for the end of Dec.

Just ordered a Forum Youngblood in short sizing.. going to be my first dedicated park board. Should be fun.

Offline stauff

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 92x 2.5i
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2011, 12:32:20 pm »
I go out to sunshine almost everyday and once school starts in January ill be out every weekend. I love to meet up with some fellow riders/skiers.
Saabaru - racked and lifted

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2011, 10:47:01 am »
So apparently Kicking Horse mounting resort is pending sale to RCR.

Official press release: http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/press-releases.aspx?mode=detail&id=khmr_pending_sale_to_rcr

I'm not sure how I feel about this. RCR hasn't had the greatest success (Fortress... Lake Louise... Nakiska is pretty awesome...), but KH could use some more development, specifically with lift access. The only thing I dislike about KH is that I have to ride to the bottom and take the gondola all the way back up to get to the good terrain.
THE EDJ on flickr

rith

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2011, 11:12:35 am »

Official press release: http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/press-releases.aspx?mode=detail&id=khmr_pending_sale_to_rcr

I'm not sure how I feel about this. RCR hasn't had the greatest success (Fortress... Lake Louise... Nakiska is pretty awesome...), but KH could use some more development, specifically with lift access. The only thing I dislike about KH is that I have to ride to the bottom and take the gondola all the way back up to get to the good terrain.

I was there on friday, that place is super steep, my friend who is a mediocre skier was scared

stefan

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2011, 01:18:15 pm »

How are you not sure?  They are going to drive it into the ground. Can't wait for KH to join the $80+ ranks for lifts. I'm sure they will switch the food vendors at the base to RCR-owned business as well which will also suck  terribly.  Goodbye goat cheese stuffed burger and Okanagan Springs.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2011, 01:50:33 pm »
How are you not sure?  They are going to drive it into the ground. Can't wait for KH to join the $80+ ranks for lifts. I'm sure they will switch the food vendors at the base to RCR-owned business as well which will also suck  terribly.  Goodbye goat cheese stuffed burger and Okanagan Springs.

Call it denial if you want, but my hope is that the resort will see an upgraded lift system and maybe some more terrain (the north side Feuz Bowl looks amazing). The press release hints at an expanded service area, and whether it's lift access or cat skiing, it will be a welcome revision to an already great resort.
THE EDJ on flickr

Online vaportrail

• Stubbly Faced
  • Like the exorcist but with more breakdancing.
  • Ride: 2002 2.5RS BRP Sedan
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2011, 02:43:37 pm »

+1

Can't wait to see what they do with the mountain bike park in the summer, they did such an amazing job ruining Fernie...

Offline booSTIn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2011, 06:09:13 pm »
Anyone going to be up in panorama between the dec. 28 to the 1st?

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2011, 08:57:56 pm »
Got out to Kicking Horse on Sunday... I arrived to an empty parking lot, no lift line, and 21 cm of fresh snow. needless to say, wicked day of riding... hiked Terminator 1, ....ugh... but well worth it... sick sick sick sick waiste deep first tracks. Wish I took the pow board.... oh well.. next time
Official Anti-Purist

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »
Call it denial if you want, but my hope is that the resort will see an upgraded lift system and maybe some more terrain (the north side Feuz Bowl looks amazing). The press release hints at an expanded service area, and whether it's lift access or cat skiing, it will be a welcome revision to an already great resort.

I uckfaying love that burger.

rith

« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2011, 02:31:16 pm »
Got out to Kicking Horse on Sunday... I arrived to an empty parking lot, no lift line, and 21 cm of fresh snow. needless to say, wicked day of riding... hiked Terminator 1, ....ugh... but well worth it... sick sick sick sick waiste deep first tracks. Wish I took the pow board.... oh well.. next time

I was there on friday, :/ a couple days too early for the snow  :'(

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2011, 07:26:25 am »
Who has plans to go out and fight the crowds this weekend? I hadn't planned on going, but Kicking Horse and Revelstoke are looking to get dumped on so plans have changed.

Maybe we will see some of you out at KH on Sunday or Monday!
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline harrymonster

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 265
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2011, 10:05:08 am »

Its sold!
http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/press-releases.aspx?mode=detail&id=khmr_rcr_completion_of_sale

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:17 am »
Who has plans to go out and fight the crowds this weekend? I hadn't planned on going, but Kicking Horse and Revelstoke are looking to get dumped on so plans have changed.

Maybe we will see some of you out at KH on Sunday or Monday!

How about tomorrow...

;)

;D

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:19 am »
THE EDJ on flickr