Author Topic: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 25533 times)

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2003 S2000, 1998 Civic
2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2012, 05:52:48 pm »
I'm gonna be boarding at fernie mon, tues and some wednesday. Just getting into the mountains now. Can't wait for some awesome boarding! I didn't make it to the mountains last year, which really sucked.

Birds Hit: 4

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: My own two feet
Re: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »
I'm gonna be boarding at fernie mon, tues and some wednesday. Just getting into the mountains now. Can't wait for some awesome boarding! I didn't make it to the mountains last year, which really sucked.

I'm heading to fernie for Tuesday-Wednesday then Louise for Thursday. Forecast for Fernie looks great!

stefan

« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2012, 07:18:33 am »
Was at Castle on Sunday. Dunno where the hell those guys get their numbers for snowfall but.. whatever that's besides the point. Honestly I'm not sure what the big deal is with this place. Since the top chair was shut down all day, I was bored senseless. Rode the backside once in the morning and the rest of the riding pretty much sucked with most of my time spent in line or on lifts. Waste of a day really.

Evan where did you end up spending the rest of the day? Sorry to randomly bail on you, the drop was calling me.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:30 pm »
Was at Castle on Sunday. Dunno where the hell those guys get their numbers for snowfall but.. whatever that's besides the point. Honestly I'm not sure what the big deal is with this place. Since the top chair was shut down all day, I was bored senseless. Rode the backside once in the morning and the rest of the riding pretty much sucked with most of my time spent in line or on lifts. Waste of a day really.

Evan where did you end up spending the rest of the day? Sorry to randomly bail on you, the drop was calling me.

It was definitely a bummer of a day at Castle. The high winds kept the top chair closed, which was rather unfortunate since it was apparently really good up there. I never got the chance to find out first hand that day. We rode a lot of trees (to skiers left from the blue chair) and actually managed to find some decent lines and fairly soft snow. The day wasn't a total write off but it was not anything close to the epic days I had there last season.

To really appreciate the mountain you need to go midweek (or at least a Friday) during or just after a storm cycle. They have some really, REALLY great glades and some pretty gnarly, steep terrain. The cliff band you see to the left when going up the red chair has a few solid lines off of it if you are feeling brave and the other side of that ridge is usually pretty solid as well.

Don't feel too bad Stefan, we were out with a couple friends who are still pretty entry level so we weren't riding too hard. Good to see you out there though!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

stefan

« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2012, 10:19:28 am »
Yeah the backside was mind blowing. I could not believe the terrain back there. Deep powder, awesome glades. I loved every second of that run. Made the rest of the day even worse.  Found some decent stuff off the left side of the green chair near the out of bounds but ultimately spent most of my day in line or on a lift.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
I'm heading to fernie for Tuesday-Wednesday then Louise for Thursday. Forecast for Fernie looks great!

Where we're you on the hill today? We were mostly in the cedar bowl.

stefan

« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »
Sunshine just got 28cm.. can anyone confirm this?  I have found they have been straight up lying about their snowfall amounts lately (or are taking them from a tree well or something).

If it's legit I'm going Friday

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:56 pm »
Where we're you on the hill today? We were mostly in the cedar bowl.

We were indeed! Mostly riding cedar, the pow there in the morning was great! What were you wearing, I probably saw you.

Offline Slotato

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2012, 11:21:56 pm »
I was in a green/yellow plaid jacket (probably would look more yellow) and black pants. Not the most amazing snowboarder, I don't get out very much. and I would have been sitting down quite a bit waiting for the other people in our group to catch up.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2012, 07:54:06 am »
Sunshine just got 28cm.. can anyone confirm this?  I have found they have been straight up lying about their snowfall amounts lately (or are taking them from a tree well or something).

kicking horse has been showing snow all week, which means theyll be blasting into the weekend. 

which means im going tomorrow.

win.

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2012, 08:26:23 am »

I can't say they got 28cm of snow, but there was still quite a bit of fresh when I went on Saturday. Only encountered one small icy patch for the afternoon that I was there.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2012, 10:24:41 am »
48cm in 48 hrs at horse!!!

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »
^^ u went today?   
Official Anti-Purist

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2012, 09:07:22 pm »
^^ u went today?
Leaving at 5am tomorrow

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:46 pm »
 8) wicked, have a good day out there, I cant miss work  :'(  hopefully ill get out there saturday and see if there is anything left
Official Anti-Purist

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »
I was in a green/yellow plaid jacket (probably would look more yellow) and black pants. Not the most amazing snowboarder, I don't get out very much. and I would have been sitting down quite a bit waiting for the other people in our group to catch up.

Awesome! I think I saw you then! I was wearing a blue, white, and yellow DC jacket with purple pants. I am currently working on a small edit from yesterday. Maybe I will post it in here....

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2012, 05:40:34 pm »
Alright, so I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move it!

I know this isn't the best quality shooting or editing, but it was my first edit that I have done and I threw it together pretty quickly.

I am the snowboarder in the brightly coloured jacket, my brother is a skier in the grey jacket, and my dad is in the dark grey jacket.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2012, 05:49:32 pm »
Alright, so I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move it!

I know this isn't the best quality shooting or editing, but it was my first edit that I have done and I threw it together pretty quickly.

I am the snowboarder in the brightly coloured jacket, my brother is a skier in the grey jacket, and my dad is in the dark grey jacket.

Looks like a pretty solid day! I'm hoping to get to KH on Sunday, but it's not for sure yet. Anyone else?
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Online Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2012, 07:50:05 pm »
Was at Kicking Horse last weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). The hill is nuts. Felt really bad for the completely new skiers and boarders that came along expecting it to be like the hills they have out east.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2012, 08:44:35 pm »
I was at kicking horse today with AJ

Notes from the day. 

-Glades kick assay
-boot top everywhere, but windblown crust on top and heavy snow = bumpy

* Dropping into whitewall with virtually zero vis due to flat light equals the most dissapointing run of my life.  Untouched waist deep pow, and i couldnt see well enough to actually do more then one turn at a time.  For those of you who dont know whitewall, you drop off a cornice near the stairway chair into the fuez bowl, and it has cliffs and natural hazards everywhere.  Had the vis been good, it would have been easily and without question the best run of my life.

-even rossi s7's get kicked around by crusty pow.

-lost one of my boot heater battery packs on whitewall.  pretty sad :(  ill have one cold foot until i can find another

rith

« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2012, 09:04:26 pm »
Yeah I dont know how I feel about kicking horse. Some great terrain but of the snow isn't good it's not a very fun hill.  My friend freaked out with the terrain, he was scared

Offline jonah.b

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:30 pm »
Looks like a pretty solid day! I'm hoping to get to KH on Sunday, but it's not for sure yet. Anyone else?

yeah it was pretty great! have fun!

Offline stauff

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 92x 2.5i
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2012, 01:38:57 pm »

I think Ill be out there tomorrow.
Saabaru - racked and lifted

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2012, 05:38:06 pm »
I think Ill be out there tomorrow.

We are heading out to Whistler next Friday for a week, so it's looking more like I need to save some cash for that. As much as I would like to go out tomorrow, I don't think I can make it happen. Have a good one!
THE EDJ on flickr

stefan

« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:39 pm »
KH was epic Friday, not as good today with the good pow being harder to find. It was really starting to snow by the end of the day so people should have fun Sunday. Whitewall opened up Friday as well.