Author Topic: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 25509 times)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #225 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:23 am »
I haven't been there, but from what I hear to people who ride both there and Revelstoke - Revelstoke is way better unless KH has a big fresh dump. No one really talks about Revy here, it's an hour and a half past Golden, but you gain that hour back if you're trying to make it there in the am. I dunno why, maybe I'm weird but I love that mountain so much - despite it ending the wife's season last year and almost ending mine this year. Just a good thing I got injured before christmas, my ribs are almost 100% and I'm totally stoked to go there in a couple weeks.

Best place to ride is the steepest mountain with the most new snow

Offline Mendozer

• Patchy Faced
Re: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:33 pm »
Best place to ride is the steepest mountain with the most new snow

+1 for Revy...awesome AWESOME terrain!!!

I have a sweet inversion pic from Revy to post, but i don't have it online, nor care to set-up an online account :(

Offline idtrav

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: Cholo
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2012, 01:58:30 pm »
Been out quite a bit this year but have yet to venture into BC. This weekend will be a double-header in Marmot...as we all know the best part about Marmot is the road up to the parking lot  >:D
Yeah your car is like a mythical creature.

*was

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54:47 pm »
This is pretty crazy

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline leyson

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '08 Impreza Hatch (2.5i)
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2012, 11:00:44 pm »
^ That video is unreal! They got lucky that no one was seriously hurt that time...

Is anyone going to try and make it out for some slushy spring laps before the season ends?

Offline stauff

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 92x 2.5i
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2012, 08:33:56 am »
I going to sunshine. hoping delirium dive get open again today as well
Saabaru - racked and lifted

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #231 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:43 pm »
I'm just gunna stick this here: http://www.skiwhitewater.com/blog/?post=368
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #232 on: June 07, 2012, 11:46:10 pm »
I'm just gunna stick this here: http://www.skiwhitewater.com/blog/?post=368

Gnarly!

Now that I'm thinking about snowboarding... (thanks a lot JimmEh!), I thought I would do a little season recap.

I should start by saying 2010/2011 was the most epic season I've ever had; it is the measure to which all seasons will be compared to. 2011/2012 wasn't bad by any many means, but it wasn't the same onslaught of pow day after pow day of the previous year. My season started off early, we spent a couple days goofing around in the back country up at the top of Highwood Pass (I bet you could still ski there now). Two days there plus an early season opener at Fernie meant that I had 3 pow days by the end of November. The winter was looking promising!

P1060319 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1060326 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

Kicking Horse opened up shortly after, and we headed there for opening weekend. The mountain saw a huge dump the week previous so we were anticipating a pretty solid day. But, we couldn't get out until Sunday, when we discovered that most of the mountain was tracked out from the two previous days. The day wasn't a total write off, I managed to find a really rad tree jib/drop that ended up being way bigger than I anticipated. vaportrail will attest to that!

After opening weekends we took a bit of a break. It was the week between Christmas and New Years, the forecast was promising and as the week went on, nature delivered. I managed to get the Friday off and headed out to Kicking Horse with canehdianJ and wrxtasy. We were greeted with epic snow conditions, 40 plus centimeters on the entire mountain! We rode the gondola with a cool local kid who offered to show us a few of his favorite spots. As if the conditions weren't good enough, we got a private tour, taking us to some of the gnarliest, best kept secrets on the mountain. I had two of the best runs of my life that day, not the best, but definitely top 5.

Two days later I headed back to Kicking Horse with MRS EDJ to celebrate New Years. Each day we were there new terrain was opened up. We hiked T1 for the first time and enjoyed soft snow all weekend. Definitely a great couple days!

P1060341 - Version 2 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1060343 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

The next time we got out was the beginning of February in Whistler. We planned the trip months ahead of time, which is always a bit of gamble. This time we lost. We rode 4 days there and barely saw one centimeter of snow. I felt really out of my element because all of the terrain I like to ride was super tracked out and not worth the pain. The first day I was really discouraged, I sucked hard and everything I tried never really worked out. Decided I need to change the attitude and headed to the park to learn some new tricks (literally). I got backside 3's down and started working on methods. Turned out to be a really fun trip even though I didn't get to ride any of the gnarly terrain or deep snow Whistler is known for. Maybe next time...

P1060379_Snapseed by THE EDJ, on Flickr

P1060394_Snapseed by THE EDJ, on Flickr

That's it, that's all.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

AWDFTW

« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2012, 08:46:36 am »
I got to louise once, opening week. It was ok.

Then I bailed second run at revelstoke about december 20th. My back's still uckfayed. Landed hard on my assay, crunched forward, popped 3 ribs out at my sternum and spine.

Hopefully i get myself in shape this summer and get to ride next year ... Your recap of a 'meh' season sure sounded pretty good to me Evan, hahaha.