Author Topic: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 25519 times)

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2011, 08:32:58 am »
Any one from E-Town going to this? http://www.backsidefilmfest.com/  Check out the sponsor !!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 01:12:27 pm »
Last year I had a Louise Plus card, which cost $100 and gave you access to Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, and Castle Mountain. The first two days were "free" and every day for the rest of the season was just $50. It was a hell of a deal!

This year the Louise Plus card is changing, to be more similar to the Sunshine/Marmot card. It still costs $100, but gives you access to Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Castle Mountain, and Revelstoke. First, third, and seventh days are free, and gets you a $20 discount on all days, which gets you into the $45-$60/day range, depending on the mountain. This is probably what we will be getting for this year.

I am getting so amped... Kicking Horse and Revelstoke already have a good amount of snow up high, and Sunshine is off to a good start too!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline pie

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 01:50:38 pm »
Last year I had a Louise Plus card, which cost $100 and gave you access to Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, and Castle Mountain. The first two days were "free" and every day for the rest of the season was just $50. It was a hell of a deal!

This year the Louise Plus card is changing, to be more similar to the Sunshine/Marmot card. It still costs $100, but gives you access to Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Castle Mountain, and Revelstoke. First, third, and seventh days are free, and gets you a $20 discount on all days, which gets you into the $45-$60/day range, depending on the mountain. This is probably what we will be getting for this year.

I am getting so amped... Kicking Horse and Revelstoke already have a good amount of snow up high, and Sunshine is off to a good start too!

Castle AND Revy?  Looks like I'm going to have to do some more driving this year.  Are those cards up for sale yet?

rith

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 02:01:18 pm »
I need more friends that ski/snowboard, everyone I go with typically breaks something.   ::)

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:23 am »
Another good site to check out deals on lift tickets is.

www.liftopia.com

Not as good as some of the cards but they have good one day deals.

Offline bobbyC

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2011, 11:24:04 pm »
Normally this time of year I would have been counting down for atleast 30 days by now... For some reason, I just can't get my snow stoke on... :( maybe once it actually snows, my thoughts may change.

Offline inthemarket

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: is big enough for five, and a canine
2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 07:48:24 am »
Normally this time of year I would have been counting down for atleast 30 days by now... For some reason, I just can't get my snow stoke on... :( maybe once it actually snows, my thoughts may change.

Totally agree. I think the first gridlock Calgary snow snafu I'm in will get me praying for the mountains. I cant wait to see how my new 4 wheeled toboggan will perform in the snow! Also need to get my wax on/wax off going. That usually brings the stoke factor up.
Mitch's car runs on unicorn blood, its rubber is sourced from the hooves of pegasus', and it drives on rainbows and dreams.
It uses infi-boost, smells like Japan, and is fast as tits.

Offline blackandwhite

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 00 A4
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2011, 11:34:23 am »

Watch art of flight   ^-^

I have been counting down the days since about middle of august.  15 days until my first day at sunshine, 16 days til marmot and 40 days til revy

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2011, 04:34:33 pm »
Anyone remember Jeremy Jones' Deeper from last year?

Here's the "next step", and it's a big one.

"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:08 am »

Watch art of flight   ^-^

I have been counting down the days since about middle of august.  15 days until my first day at sunshine, 16 days til marmot and 40 days til revy

you and me both.  SO STOKED

Offline bobbyC

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2011, 07:54:11 am »
Anyone ping to Nakiska this weekend for their earliest opening ever???

rith

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2011, 08:14:04 am »
Anyone ping to Nakiska this weekend for their earliest opening ever???

I would be but I'm stuck at work :/
I may try to hit up louise if they'/re open on the 5th/6th though

Offline blackandwhite

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2011, 09:13:18 am »
I am stuck at work as well today. And I have my grandmother visiting so I can't make it for Sunday. Although I was checking out the webcam and everything other then the gold chair is still green/brown. I think this could be a very undesirable opening and rather forced, honestly just one chair. With that said, a day on the mountain is still a day on the mountain

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2011, 10:31:26 am »
Here's a list of opening dates... it wil be on the first post too for future reference :)

http://blog.sourceboards.com/the-season-is-here-a-list-of-opening-days-in-ab-and-bc
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline bobbyC

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:51 am »
I think this could be a very undesirable opening and rather forced, honestly just one chair. With that said, a day on the mountain is still a day on the mountain

Sure but that still sounds a lot like Lake Louise and their WiWaxy 500 opening day but you are right a day on the mountian is aday on the mountian!!

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2011, 04:12:09 pm »
A short review of last year... hope you enjoy.

THE EDJ on flickr

Offline blackandwhite

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2011, 08:45:03 pm »
I enjoyed that video. Where is that cliff at 1:40 I want to hit that.

Offline 93ScoobyD

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 06 LGT, 11' Gsxr 600
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »
Skied Nakiska today for my first ever pre-November skiing. Only one long run open, but had some decent side booters and hell it was fun. Just a little tease of what's to come of another glorious winter.  >:D
I used it on my old legacy, I just poored the whole can in the gas tank and enjoyed white smoke all week

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2011, 09:27:45 am »
definitely ready for
some shredding!!!
Official Anti-Purist

Offline bobbyC

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2011, 10:36:28 am »
The more i saw snow yesterday the more i got stoked! Now i cant wait!

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »
I got out for an early sesh at Lake Louise today. Basicly one run, and one chair, and a tiny park.  It was good to get out, but got busyier in the afternoon and got icy as the temp went up.  Decent first day of season
Official Anti-Purist

Offline blackandwhite

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:25 pm »
Bad news guys. Sunshine just pushed back their opening to the 17th.  Which isn't the end of the world because its sunshine.

Even worse news. I just accepted a contract in Singapore for 3 months with a possible extension. I may miss the entire season. And that is why I am upset about sunshine. I leave November 19. Marmot opening here i come.

Offline blackandwhite

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2011, 11:46:35 pm »
I went to louise yesterday. The conditions were rather marginal and quite tracked out as expected. It wasn't to busy though.

Today a buddy and I hit Marmot opening. While it was a little busy, you could find some plumes of unmarked terrain. Very few runs open. It snowed all day though.

The best news of the day though was what I saw on the drive back. This is taken on the highway from jasper to louise. About 15 minutes before hitting the TC highway. This was taken around 5:30

Rumour was expected 21 cm for louise, 27 for castle and 40 for revy.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
Man that looks awesome! I can't wait, but I'm still holding out for the 26.

Some of the resort webcams are starting to show some decent accumulation.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »
I lied. I didn't wait until the 26th. We drove out to Highwood Pass and hiked up on the east side of highway. Driving out we were wary, but once we actually got up into the alpine there was no question, it was going to be a good day. Threw down my first powder turns of the season, built a fun little booter, and found a decent drop with enough coverage on the landing. Hopefully we will head out there again next weekend, or at least once more before the highway closes for the
 season.

Hiking up above the treeline

P1060319 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

This was the closest we got to seeing the sun all day

P1060320 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

The wind was gusty, and visibility turned to zero

P1060329 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

Here's our little jump... so much snow, it was ridiculous for this time of year

P1060332 by THE EDJ, on Flickr
THE EDJ on flickr